ADVERTISEMENT

Teachers' salaries ranked by state... Actual salary and Cost of Living Adjusted

I would take less pay for three months vacation and a pension that contributes about 9% on my behalf.

Actually think you could get some good teachers if they had some program targeted at empty nesters (likely don’t need as high a salary as they did when they had kids) That trained them at night to become teachers. They would obviously already have some type of degree.

And here I am wondering how I'll ever have the energy to do what I do now when I'm that old. Teaching isn't just throwing out some worksheets for the kids to work on while you sit in a desk all day.

Reactions: Wendy79 and Hawkbiz
No. Make the argument like you did that you don't really have 3 months off. That you do other things like take your teams on trips and having training. The argument that you don't actually get paid for those "vacation days" is a bad argument. It makes no difference if you are technically paid for them or not.
It does matter. I've taken vacation time in other jobs. When payday rolled around, I got paid for those days...every single time. Do you get paid for vacation time? You want something to change, stop calling it "vacation". That I'm on the job while not being paid...that's just what we do.

I am paid for 185 days of work. My salary is for those days. People think teachers get paid money for our days off in the summer. Whatever their thinking is it sure bothers the hell out of them.

They just don't understand that teacher salaries would be about 10-15k higher if we worked the summers like they seem to want.

Reactions: Tom Paris
This is a separate argument but I wanted to respond to what you are saying. I find myself conflicted in what the state is doing. I, like most people, do not like losing any power or negotiating rights but I also think that it's beyond ridiculous that a teacher cannot be a member of its local union without being a member of one specific state and national union. Wages and benefits are negotiated by the local union specifically. A person should be able to negotiate their contract without supporting a group that doesn't represent them or their views. I recognize that those larger unions do lobby for things that benefit me, but they also support a lot more things that I do not agree with.
This was something I found irritating. Let me pay the locals. I don't want my dues to go towards the national union leaders' 250,000 plus salaries. I don't want my money going as payoffs to Jessie Jackson's Rainbow Coalition fund...that's paying hush money. Screw that.

I would guess most people work about 235 days a year. 3 weeks vacation and 10 holidays.

185 sounds nice.

No. Make the argument like you did that you don't really have 3 months off. That you do other things like take your teams on trips and having training. The argument that you don't actually get paid for those "vacation days" is a bad argument. It makes no difference if you are technically paid for them or not.

Dude....just....wow.

I would guess most people work about 235 days a year. 3 weeks vacation and 10 holidays.

185 sounds nice.

It is. It certainly was a contributing factor into why I went into teaching. You also had that opportunity at one time. Just like I had the opportunity to do whatever job you have. Unless you are a CEO bankrupting companies and still getting 8 figure bonuses, I don't complain about how much you make.

Nothing like a person whining about a group of people that are whiny. Especially, when nobody in this thread was whining about teacher pay. Well done on creating a controversy. You must love Fox News.
This is basically every single teacher thread. I have yet to see a teacher start a thread complaining about our pay. All I know is we are hated group by the masses...or hopefully just an idiotic vocal minority.

Reactions: BrianNole09
They just don't understand that teacher salaries would be about 10-15k higher if we worked the summers like they seem to want.
Here's the thing: I do understand that. You can see because I specifically pointed out that a teachers salary would be $66,000/year instead of $50,000 if it was for the whole year.

I don't want you to work the whole summer and I don't think teachers are overpaid and I feel like there is more whining about teachers whining then actual teachers whining. I have a very narrow criticism about saying days in the summer are unpaid in the context of teachers salaries. See my original post on the subject.

It does matter. I've taken vacation time in other jobs. When payday rolled around, I got paid for those days...every single time. Do you get paid for vacation time? You want something to change, stop calling it "vacation". That I'm on the job while not being paid...that's just what we do.
Yeah I get paid vacation time. My whole point is if you are going to have a discussion on teachers salaries, you shouldn't say you make $XX,XXX/year because in the terms of salaries that is universally thought of as working a full calendar year. Whether they are paid vacation days or unpaid days make no difference in this context.

Yeah I get paid vacation time. My whole point is if you are going to have a discussion on teachers salaries, you shouldn't say you make $XX,XXX/year because in the terms of salaries that is universally thought of as working a full calendar year. Whether they are paid vacation days or unpaid days make no difference in this context.
And, as I pointed out, I do basically work a full calendar year. I'll be back in my classroom a week early to get ready for the upcoming year since once school starts my non-instructional days will be spent in meetings and workshops. That I don't like hearing that unpaid time called "vacation" is, I admit, purely semantics. But for me, and most of the teachers I work with (or live with - no pics), you could call it "volunteer" hours and be more accurate.

And, as I pointed out, I do basically work a full calendar year. I'll be back in my classroom a week early to get ready for the upcoming year since once school starts my non-instructional days will be spent in meetings and workshops. That I don't like hearing that unpaid time called "vacation" is, I admit, purely semantics. But for me, and most of the teachers I work with (or live with - no pics), you could call it "volunteer" hours and be more accurate.
Like I said, I have a very narrow criticism here.

Like I said, I have a very narrow criticism here.

Just curios if you are paid salary, does it say annual salary on your contract or does it specify the number of days and per diem pay?

how many work days does the average professional with a ba/bs degree work? Just curious. Most professionals I know have over 4 weeks of vacation. Some getting a vacation day for ever 2 weeks worked.
I don't know that well because i don't complain about my own salary let alone another professionals. Nor do I hear other teachers complain, nor do I hear them complain on here.

The only people I hear complain and bitch about other peoples pay generally didn't go to college and have no real skills. they're more concerned about what others have that they don't.
I am ~5 years with the same company. 23 PTO days, 2 floating personal holidays, 8 recognized holidays (and we get either the Monday or Friday if they fall on a weekend). 228 days. Of course, I can take more time if necessary but I wouldn't be paid for it.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
Just curios if you are paid salary, does it say annual salary on your contract or does it specify the number of days and per diem pay?
I have an annual salary and get a specified number of vacation days and holidays off.

185 sounds nice.

There are roughly 20 workdays per month, on average, so 235 is pretty close. I get 12 holidays and 28 days PTO. Private sector. Teachers don't have such a great deal compared to similarly educated professionals in other fields.

Last edited:
Then go be a teacher or stfu. You get what you pay for. Teaching is a thankless, shit job most people would not be able to handle. Oh, and you have to be college educated. You sound like a fvcking moron.
It's more like 4 months off plus vacation time, full State benefits and 2.5X matching retirement plan. Give me a effing break.

Here's the NC salary schedule:

file:///C:/Users/jboyd/AppData/Local/Temp/2017-18schedules-2.pdf

It's a little misleading in that the referenced Masters Schedule only exists for those who got their degree prior to 2014. For those who got their masters after that date or are hired today, they are paid on the Bachelors Schedule. And to discredit another myth, notice that we can get our pay in twelve monthly installments or ten for the months we actually under contract...not nine.

NC also used to value the National Board for Professional Teacher Standards certification. They would pay the several thousand dollars it took to apply in a first attempt. As a result, NC had more NBPTS teachers than any state in the country. They no longer pay for that so far fewer teachers seek it out now.

I have an annual salary and get a specified number of vacation days and holidays off.

I guess my point was in response to something you said earlier. Teachers are contracted in days. The days off for summer or unpaid holidays is not vacation. They are simply days you are not obligated or paid to work. In your job you are expected to be there unless you use specified vacation days. We do get paid impersonal vacation days if we choose to use them during contracted time.

I guess my point was in response to something you said earlier. Teachers are contracted in days. The days off for summer or unpaid holidays is not vacation. They are simply days you are not obligated or paid to work. In your job you are expected to be there unless you use specified vacation days. We do get paid impersonal vacation days if we choose to use them during contracted time.
Let's say I have 260 work days a year. I get paid 10 paid holidays and 20 paid vacation days. So I only have to work 230 days a year. I get paid $50,000/year. Is there really any difference between that and somebody that is contracted to work 230 days a year with no paid holidays or paid vacation that also gets paid $50,000/year?

260-190=70. How long does one generally need to work in the private sector to get 16 weeks of PTO? Does the private sector retirement package match the teachers? In general

Reactions: ghost80
People still think that teachers actually get 3 months off and they just sit on their ass the whole time? Weird.

L O fuqing L.

If you’re making over 50,000 as a year in Iowa, you’re not rich by any means but you certainly ain’t poor. Teachers like to bitch about “not getting paid enough” but I’d bet there are thousands to would take that salary in a heartbeat.

Teachers are the most whinny group of ppl in America. If you don’t think you get paid enough, find a new job.

And yet most people who spend 10 minutes with any random group of teenagers seem to say, "You couldn't pay me a million dollars to deal with these ass holes 8 hours a day."

Last edited:
At least directly. His posts indirectly reveal his level of education or, more accurately, a lack thereof.

Bulldogs so mad that my opinion varies from his. I wonder if/when challenged by a student this is how he acts?

Very professional I’d say.

Is the glass half empty or half full?

Many people try to argue that wages that aren't 100% competitive with private wages will cause talented teachers to leave or potentially talented adults from entering the teaching field. The opposite is also true. Right now teachers are making far more than a living wage and doing a job most of them love doing. If they don't agree with the wages and feel they cannot live the lifestyle they desire they can leave teaching anytime. We live in a free country and with the degree they must have to teach the opportunities in the real world are there.

On the other hand if suddenly teachers wages were dramatically increased you might have a few gifted people decide to go into teaching (but no guarantee since maybe they really have no desire to teach) but the one thing that will happen is an increase in the number of people applying for teaching jobs for the wrong reasons. Our kids don't need to go to schools filled with teachers looking for the top wage, top retirement plan, and a large amount of time away from work and are there only because teaching is where they found it.

Is the glass half empty or half full?

Many people try to argue that wages that aren't 100% competitive with private wages will cause talented teachers to leave or potentially talented adults from entering the teaching field. The opposite is also true. Right now teachers are making far more than a living wage and doing a job most of them love doing. If they don't agree with the wages and feel they cannot live the lifestyle they desire they can leave teaching anytime. We live in a free country and with the degree they must have to teach the opportunities in the real world are there.

On the other hand if suddenly teachers wages were dramatically increased you might have a few gifted people decide to go into teaching (but no guarantee since maybe they really have no desire to teach) but the one thing that will happen is an increase in the number of people applying for teaching jobs for the wrong reasons. Our kids don't need to go to schools filled with teachers looking for the top wage, top retirement plan, and a large amount of time away from work and are there only because teaching is where they found it.
Ummm....soooo...keep wages depressed so those who do it are in it for the "right" reasons? I like that. Let's do the same with CEO pay. If you want to run a company, you should be doing it as a service to the country. $200k/ year max sounds about right. How about your career? Do we not want the people doing it who are doing it for the "right" reasons? Or is it ok if people in your line of work - would you care to share? - are only looking for money?

Ummm....soooo...keep wages depressed so those who do it are in it for the "right" reasons? I like that. Let's do the same with CEO pay. If you want to run a company, you should be doing it as a service to the country. $200k/ year max sounds about right. How about your career? Do we not want the people doing it who are doing it for the "right" reasons? Or is it ok if people in your line of work - would you care to share? - are only looking for money?

Yeah, that was a hilariously bad post. Holy shit.

It should be supply and demand like any other profession.

It’s not. The union dictates the person that loaded up on difficult classes to teach high school math or science makes the same as the gym teacher.

Reactions: ghost80
It should be supply and demand like any other profession.

It’s not. The union dictates the person that loaded up on difficult classes to teach high school math or science makes the same as the gym teacher.

Be careful with calling someone that. Did that one time and got a 1/2 lecture on how offended they were by me calling them a gym teacher instead of a physical education teacher.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT