ADVERTISEMENT

Teachers' salaries ranked by state... Actual salary and Cost of Living Adjusted

Oh, so schools go year round now?

My son goes til June and most schools start in mid August these days. Coaches are often at the school at 6am for weight training and during the season, usually not home until after 7pm or much later on game nights. Let’s not forget the countless training sessions, seminars and additional learning teachers may have to do. I know quite a few teachers that run/organize the local summer HS baseball, legion ball, summer weight programs, classes etc. These things don’t just happen on their own but some people just take that stuff for granted and assume they’ll always be there.

Plus, unlike bankers, farmers or plumbers, they’re responsible for quite a few younger students during the day. Not only are they educators-they’re child psychologists, disciplinarians, coaches, mentors etc. All so the parents can pursue their own ambitions and both work jobs and have all the things they think they’re entitled to. I see a lot of lowly educated people out there in late model Tahoes and Suburbans. Parents have been the #1 factor in teacher/coach retention and often aren’t doing the jobs they should be doing at home.

Last edited:
Bulldogs so mad that my opinion varies from his. I wonder if/when challenged by a student this is how he acts?

Very professional I’d say.
Mad?? Hardly. Just wondering why you are so judgemently but we’re unwilling to share you or job and education initially.
Finally you tell us you are in a job, in education no less, that works less than teachers and you have less education.
Mad? No. Embarrassed for your employer?? Yes.

Reactions: bojihawk44
Everything is easy until you actually do it. I also don't usually like to quote pedophiles, but maybe that's just me.

Then let's skip to George Bernard Shaw. Kind of obvious Woody Allen was making a play on him anyway.

"He who can, does. He who cannot, teaches".

My son goes til June and most schools start in mid August these days. Coaches are often at the school at 6am for weight training and during the season, usually not home until after 7pm or much later on game nights. Let’s not forget the countless training sessions, seminars and additional learning teachers may have to do. I know quite a few teachers that run/organize the local summer HS baseball, legion ball, summer weight programs, classes etc. These things don’t just happen on their own but some people just take that stuff for granted and assume they’ll always be there.

Plus, unlike bankers, farmers or plumbers, they’re responsible for quite a few younger students during the day. Not only are they educators-they’re child psychologists, disciplinarians, coaches, mentors etc. All so the parents can pursue their own ambitions and both work jobs and have all the things they think they’re entitled to. I see a lot of lowly educated people out there in late model Tahoes and Suburbans. Parents have been the #1 factor in teacher/coach retention and often aren’t doing the jobs they should be doing at home.
giphy.gif

Then let's skip to George Bernard Shaw. Kind of obvious Woody Allen was making a play on him anyway.

"He who can, does. He who cannot, teaches".
Either way it's a stupid statement and you continue to show your ignorance. I'm pretty confident the vast majority of my students are glad they have me in their life. I'll go ahead and be important to them and their parents. Their opinions are far more important to me than yours.

In most smaller schools across the state and the Midwest, the gym teacher also teaches other classes. I know the wrestling coach at my son’s local school is the gym teacher along with being a title one instructor. The elementary principal is the head FB coach and also teaches gym.

In my youth, the elementary gym teacher was a particularly gifted guy who coached football as well. He went on to get his masters and became the guidance counselor for 20 years. I owe a lot to him for believing in my sorry ass. I think we need to continue to place a high regard and value on primary education, whether it be technical/trades or college prep.

Last edited:
In most smaller schools across the state and the Midwest, the gym teacher also teaches other classes. I know the wrestling coach at my son’s local school is the gym teacher along with being a title one instructor. The elementary principal is the head FB coach and also teaches gym.

In my youth, the elementary gym teacher was a particularly gifted guy who coached football as well. He went on to get his masters and became the guidance counselor for 20 years. I owe a lot to him for believing in my sorry ass. I think we need to continue to place a high regard and value on primary education, whether it be technical/trades or college prep.
I have had reading interventions in the past for 30 minutes a day. This year I have a 30 minute math intervention...helping students with a math program.

Mad?? Hardly. Just wondering why you are so judgemently but we’re unwilling to share you or job and education initially.
Finally you tell us you are in a job, in education no less, that works less than teachers and you have less education.
Mad? No. Embarrassed for your employer?? Yes.

You are not very good with reading comprehension.

Reactions: BrianNole09

Do coaches get paid extra or is that included in the salary that is reported annually?

It should be supply and demand like any other profession.

It’s not. The union dictates the person that loaded up on difficult classes to teach high school math or science makes the same as the gym teacher.

Many math and science teachers teach one class repeatedly all day. Your argument doesn't hold weight.

how many work days does the average professional with a ba/bs degree work? Just curious. Most professionals I know have over 4 weeks of vacation. Some getting a vacation day for ever 2 weeks worked.
I don't know that well because i don't complain about my own salary let alone another professionals. Nor do I hear other teachers complain, nor do I hear them complain on here.

The only people I hear complain and bitch about other peoples pay generally didn't go to college and have no real skills. they're more concerned about what others have that they don't.
They are called aggrieved Trump voters.

Teachers get paid to coach. In our district what they the paid is determined by their teach salary.

Some districts pay up to 16%. That isn’t too bad.

The teachers in our town also run summer little league. They get paid to do that. They are not doing it because they are Saints.

Last edited:
Many math and science teachers teach one class repeatedly all day. Your argument doesn't hold weight.
Has nothing to do with my arguement.

Fact is, the classes required to teach high school math and science are exponentially more difficult than the classes required to teach elementary ed or gym. That is why one has a glut and the other has a shortage. It makes zero sense to pay both the same. 100% zero sense and the union is why it is done.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Yeah I get paid vacation time. My whole point is if you are going to have a discussion on teachers salaries, you shouldn't say you make $XX,XXX/year because in the terms of salaries that is universally thought of as working a full calendar year. Whether they are paid vacation days or unpaid days make no difference in this context.

Teachers salaries are 10 month salaries (about 200 working days) spread over a 12 month period. That way they get paid in the summer. So if a teacher makes $50k a year before taxes, he makes $5k for month But divided by 12 or 24 (bi monthly) so they get paid over the summer.

So, a teacher starting at $35k a year makes about $21.50/ hr. to start before taxes.

Do coaches get paid extra or is that included in the salary that is reported annually?

Cid,

Since the public coaches on here are giving you crickets can you tell us how the privates work the coaches salaries? Are a lot of Regina's coaches volunteer?

Last edited:
There are roughly 20 workdays per month, on average, so 235 is pretty close. I get 12 holidays and 28 days PTO. Private sector. Teachers don't have such a great deal compared to similarly educated professionals in other fields.

There are 260 week days available most years (261 others, 262 rarely). So you're off by 25 days. BLS says the average person gets 16 days vacation, 8 holidays, and 8 days paid sick leave. So that's about 228 days per year for the average employee. Teaching contracts are about 180-90 days, and they have (and use) appx 9 days sick and other pto per year.

It should be supply and demand like any other profession.

It’s not. The union dictates the person that loaded up on difficult classes to teach high school math or science makes the same as the gym teacher.

The complaints earlier in this thread about needing to have a Master's degree are funny because the step and lane approach was pretty much imposed by the teachers' unions. They have been opposed to performance pay at all times.

I would rather work all 12 months a make double what they make.

Congratulations. Guess what? That doesn't make your job easier and it certainly doesn't make you better. Even more, it doesn't make you remotely qualified to determine exactly how much teachers should or should not be making.

The complaints earlier in this thread about needing to have a Master's degree are funny because the step and lane approach was pretty much imposed by the teachers' unions. They have been opposed to performance pay at all times.

Because "performance" pay is f*****g stupid for teachers. Tell you what, teachers will go to "performance pay" the same time doctors get paid based on how often their patients get sick, police officers get paid based on how low the crime rate in an area is, and dentists get paid based on how often their patients get cavities. After all, if those people were good at their jobs then those things wouldn't ever be happening, right? There couldn't possibly be other factors affecting outcomes.

Cid,

Since the public coaches on here are giving you crickets can you tell us how the privates work the coaches salaries? Are a lot of Regina's coaches volunteer?

The coaches get paid, not a great deal of money. Some give their money back for the volunteer coaches. I think they may get a soda and hot dog at games and if pizza is left over that goes to the players.

My dead and the HC for their HS teams do it for free I think. Donate most of their compensation back to the school, booster club or other coaches. Neither of them teach and my father is retired

There are roughly 20 workdays per month, on average, so 235 is pretty close. I get 12 holidays and 28 days PTO. Private sector. Teachers don't have such a great deal compared to similarly educated professionals in other fields.

There are 260 week days available most years (261 others, 262 rarely). So you're off by 25 days. BLS says the average person gets 16 days vacation, 8 holidays, and 8 days paid sick leave. So that's about 228 days per year for the average employee. Teaching contracts are about 180-90 days, and they have (and use) appx 9 days sick and other pto per year.

This is just stupid. Any teacher will tell you it's more work to be gone. My wife teaches as well and we argue over who's staying home with a sick kid.

Hey guess what? You can. Put your money where your mouth is.

I've been teaching 14 years and I've never heard one person complain about their pay.
Only complaint I ever hear is about having to deal with kids who were raised by parents like you.
Around enough teachers in a lifetime. Family and friends. Everyone bitches about kids and lack of pay. Also bitch about getting a 3-5% pay increase. My dad was a teacher and used to say how would you like to deal with this kids that are a pain all day long. I finally said I would you like to deal with their parents at work all day long.

Hey guess what? You can. Put your money where your mouth is.

I've been teaching 14 years and I've never heard one person complain about their pay.
Only complaint I ever hear is about having to deal with kids who were raised by parents like you.
Around enough teachers in a lifetime. Family and friends. Everyone bitches about kids and lack of pay. Also bitch about getting a 3-5% pay increase. My dad was a teacher and used to say how would you like to deal with this kids that are a pain all day long. I finally said I would you like to deal with their parents at work all day long.

Sounds like a family problem. My family is filled with educators and none of them complain about the pay. I'm not just saying it because I am a teacher. It's the honest truth. Now kids on the other hand, everybody does that including the parents. If you think the parents are immature, what makes you think any kid is going to be better?

Sounds like a family problem. My family is filled with educators and none of them complain about the pay. I'm not just saying it because I am a teacher. It's the honest truth. Now kids on the other hand, everybody does that including the parents. If you think the parents are immature, what makes you think any kid is going to be better?
Roommate from college bitching all the time too. You must be with the better folks. Glad there is positive teachers.

Reactions: Smalls4IA
This is just stupid. Any teacher will tell you it's more work to be gone. My wife teaches as well and we argue over who's staying home with a sick kid.

That can be true with other jobs, too. There was an inaccurate post about number of days worked. I just provided some more accurate onformation.

Because "performance" pay is f*****g stupid for teachers. Tell you what, teachers will go to "performance pay" the same time doctors get paid based on how often their patients get sick, police officers get paid based on how low the crime rate in an area is, and dentists get paid based on how often their patients get cavities. After all, if those people were good at their jobs then those things wouldn't ever be happening, right? There couldn't possibly be other factors affecting outcomes.

No, it's not. Nice to see you have the union talking points down, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: ghost80
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT