ADVERTISEMENT

Teske/Sasso/R. Jordan/Hidlay

No idea, but that happens a lot in recruiting.

Lots of things "could" happen in recruiting, and damn near anything is "possible". But if there isn't any indication that Chlebove is thinking about de-committing from ASU, it seems pretty silly to even mention it.

I have meet Brent a few times since he came on board the Cyclone staff. The 1st time he was pretty quiet & reserve. Maybe it was meeting all the new people, maybe getting all the "what does it feel like to be wearing Cardinal & Gold", I don't know.
The last time I met him in Humboldt & he was super easy to talk to. It was real easy to carry on a conversation with him.

I have met Morningstar through hog shows also. I thought he was real easy to talk to also

Lots of things "could" happen in recruiting, and damn near anything is "possible". But if there isn't any indication that Chlebove is thinking about de-committing from ASU, it seems pretty silly to even mention it.
There is something to this, but there is no way in hell that Iowa or any other big-time D1 program is going to step in to the picture after the "de-commit."

I have meet Brent a few times since he came on board the Cyclone staff. The 1st time he was pretty quiet & reserve. Maybe it was meeting all the new people, maybe getting all the "what does it feel like to be wearing Cardinal & Gold", I don't know.
The last time I met him in Humboldt & he was super easy to talk to. It was real easy to carry on a conversation with him.

I have met Morningstar through hog shows also. I thought he was real easy to talk to also

Brent is everything you want in a role model or coach. Great guy, family man, great wrestler, honest and down to earth.

As a college or international wrestler? Yes. As a possible name kids are attracted to? Sure. As the guy who is out beating the bushes, connecting with kids, engaging personality, etc., etc.? I'm not sure the last one falls in Brent's favor. I think he is TNT with much less personality. It's not a knock on him. Not all guys are built to be the front line recruiting (sales) and others are. I see Brent as more of an account manager type. Once the kids in the room I'm sure he will be good with them, but I don't see him winning a ton of recruiting battles. The next few years can prove me wrong.

I'll take the guy that can make our guys the best in college wrestling. That makes the choice pretty simple. If a kid doesn't choose Iowa because M* is better at BS'ing than Metcalf, I don't know if we want him anyway. Metcalf will teach them how to get on top of the podium.

Reactions: Yellow Snow
I'll take the guy that can make our guys the best in college wrestling. That makes the choice pretty simple. If a kid doesn't choose Iowa because M* is better at BS'ing than Metcalf, I don't know if we want him anyway. Metcalf will teach them how to get on top of the podium.

You have to get the kids in the wresting room first. Morningstar has been pretty decent at this. Metcalf- who knows?

Additionally, I wouldn't sell Morningstars actual coaching/teaching abilities so short. Metcalf hasn't proven that he can coach, teach or make anyone better up to this point. But I get it, you don't like having Morningstar on staff. You make it a point to bring it up multiple times each season.

Last edited:

I understand what you are saying. However, a TEAM is made up of people to do different jobs and who's strengths are different. What makes a stronger team? TNT, Perry and Metcalf? Or TNT, Perry and M*? The first seems to be a great technitian group with one great off campus recruiter (who currently can't off campus recruit). The other seems to be a great technician group, with two great recruiters, one being an off campus "rainmaker" if you will. I don't disagree that Metcalf could teach up a kid better than M* (no proof either way currently), but SOMEONE has to get the kids on campus to get the others recruiting them and then getting them in the room, before they can be coached up. That is all I'm saying. Again, fast forward 5 years and we will have a pretty good idea of Metcalf/M* pros/cons for recruiting and coaching up recruits.

And you assume that Metcalf likes being on the road or will do what it takes to put in the work to get guys. Metcalf is the bigger name for sure but what teams need are guys who don't mind getting out on the road and hustle. As an outsider, it didn't seem like Metcalf was around IC much post Olympic Trials. Most of his Twitter posts were about his endorsements and where he went to go hunting. Maybe he was just in that phase of his life where he wanted to step away for awhile and that's okay.

I'll always have a place in my heart for Brent but looking at the results, we have gotten Kemerer, Marinelli (specifically cause of M*), Warner, and Lee since M* had his first recruiting off season in 2014. A 1/4 of our lineup will be top ten guys next year. From 2009 to 2013 we got Stache and Ramos. Plus, we did have Metcalf in the room for six years post grad...how many national titles did that get us? It wasn't a secret that Metcalf was at Iowa and dudes could roll with him. Personally, I like that we have a mixture of intense guys (Brands and Perry) vs personable (M* and Big Ben).

Lastly...you know who has been in that room working with guys every time I have showed up? McDonough.

In order to get the top recruits in the country visit or commit to the University of Iowa or any other college the head coach or in some cases top assistant must be involved with the target from day one until signing day.....period. I know there may be certain examples in which this wasn't the case, but in this new era its by far the majority.

Reactions: Mattski
He's also the head coach of their freestyle club...he's getting paid out of that pit of money.

Given that, isn't this basically the same as Perry, therefore can't "recruit" off campus?

Maybe the way around that is Metcalf (or Perry in the future) can be a "paid" clinician at any offsite club? Again, just trying to figure that out so we ALL operate under the same rules.

Given that, isn't this basically the same as Perry, therefore can't "recruit" off campus?

Maybe the way around that is Metcalf (or Perry in the future) can be a "paid" clinician at any offsite club? Again, just trying to figure that out so we ALL operate under the same rules.

From what I've gathered, it's all about official relation to the university wrestling team.

Perry is not on the roster for the U of IA Hawkeyes (and is not paid by their athletic department). Without an official relationship to the U of IA Athletic deprtment, he cannot recruit off campus per NCAA rules.

Metcalf is listed on ISU's roster. His official relationship to the ISU Athletic deprtments allows him to recruit off campus even though he is paid by their wrestling club.

You have to get the kids in the wresting room first. Morningstar has been pretty decent at this. Metcalf- who knows?

Additionally, I wouldn't sell Morningstars actual coaching/teaching abilities so short. Metcalf hasn't proven that he can coach, teach or make anyone better up to this point. But I get it, you don't like having Morningstar on staff. You make it a point to bring it up multiple times each season.

It's not at all that I don't like M*, I just think we can do better.

And you assume that Metcalf likes being on the road or will do what it takes to put in the work to get guys. Metcalf is the bigger name for sure but what teams need are guys who don't mind getting out on the road and hustle. As an outsider, it didn't seem like Metcalf was around IC much post Olympic Trials. Most of his Twitter posts were about his endorsements and where he went to go hunting. Maybe he was just in that phase of his life where he wanted to step away for awhile and that's okay.

I'll always have a place in my heart for Brent but looking at the results, we have gotten Kemerer, Marinelli (specifically cause of M*), Warner, and Lee since M* had his first recruiting off season in 2014. A 1/4 of our lineup will be top ten guys next year. From 2009 to 2013 we got Stache and Ramos. Plus, we did have Metcalf in the room for six years post grad...how many national titles did that get us? It wasn't a secret that Metcalf was at Iowa and dudes could roll with him. Personally, I like that we have a mixture of intense guys (Brands and Perry) vs personable (M* and Big Ben).

Lastly...you know who has been in that room working with guys every time I have showed up? McDonough.

Exactly, I would take McD all day. Huge name, lives the life, AND knows how to get to the top of the podium.

In order to get the top recruits in the country visit or commit to the University of Iowa or any other college the head coach or in some cases top assistant must be involved with the target from day one until signing day.....period. I know there may be certain examples in which this wasn't the case, but in this new era its by far the majority.

Agree. Tom and Terry should be out beating the bushes for these kids.

Reactions: Mattski

Difference being that Perry is not a volunteer assistant and can't recruit whereas Metcalf is officially on the ISU staff. But yea, Perry could go do camps. Either the camp or HWC would have to fund it.

So volunteer assistant coaches can go out on the road and recruit? I thought just the 2 paid assistants can do that?

Difference being that Perry is not a volunteer assistant and can't recruit whereas Metcalf is officially on the ISU staff. But yea, Perry could go do camps. Either the camp or HWC would have to fund it.
Leave it to our staff to bleep up what is otherwise a great hire by not putting him in the best position to help the program succeed. Perry is not only a proven strong recruiter but also a proven strong mid and upper way developer of talent. Something the staff clearly lacks. Sorry but this is just frustrating to know that Perry is here but he can't be helping us land guys like Brooks and Hidlay.

Guys there is a plan for the future after TNT. The only negative thing I can say about Tom & Terry is that they are not wired to hit the road and BS kids into coming to Iowa. Tom is getting better but Terry is just not wired that way. Here's the thing Terry is the heart & soul of this and I would NOT trade him for anybody!! He cares more on & off the mat for the kids!! Hands down my favorite coach! Star is a friend that I have known for a LONG time! You guys that knock him have NO idea how much time, energy and his own money he puts into what he does!! Drives me nuts how people bash him. He gives us 110% and it's still not good enough for some.

Guys there is a plan for the future after TNT. The only negative thing I can say about Tom & Terry is that they are not wired to hit the road and BS kids into coming to Iowa. Tom is getting better but Terry is just not wired that way. Here's the thing Terry is the heart & soul of this and I would NOT trade him for anybody!! He cares more on & off the mat for the kids!! Hands down my favorite coach! Star is a friend that I have known for a LONG time! You guys that knock him have NO idea how much time, energy and his own money he puts into what he does!! Drives me nuts how people bash him. He gives us 110% and it's still not good enough for some.

I am a long time fan from afar in CO. I had met T&T, Luke and the others in passing over the years. Lately, I have been fortunate to be around them more. Thru this contact, I see how they've altered their tactics after evaluating the program. Targeting and full on recruiting top recruits being one area, and having a strong HWC so our guys can train with them another ( I know Tarp agrees with each area).

We now see this change in recruiting. This year, we have quality wrestlers stepping in at 165, 174 and likely now 184. Other young returners have promise at 141, and maybe 133. 197 could surprise us this year.

Next year, we have quality guys at 125, 149 and 197. Hopefully, all of the young guys this year can step up and deliver to match or exceed their credentials. That's on the coaches and they know it.

Further, I know that Tom and M* are all over who we get for next season(s). It's early, and we need a couple more quality commits.

We all want to be great NOW, but it just can't happen overnight given limited $ to go around. However, I think we'll make great strides this season, then put a whooping on folks from at least 9 weights next year (please Stoll stay healthy!!)

Thanks for this, Spoons. I think the reason some people bash M* is because we've been out-recruited until recently, and he doesn't have the NCAA/Olympic pedigree of TnT, so there is perhaps an inclination by some to see him as the weak link, which is unfair. Your comments about TnT also ring true, i.e. not being wired to hit the road. I do take issue with the term "BS kids into coming to Iowa." I can see TnT seeing salesmanship as BS! But selling is a key part of the job, and if it's an area of weakness you need to shore it up, the same as you'd work harder on getting off the bottom if that's an area of weakness as a wrestler. No one says, "I don't care about not being able to get off the bottom--I think being on the bottom is BS." The buck stops with Tom, and I'm glad to see the program addressing the things that need to be addressed. I'm still dismayed that we seem to be not quite firing on all cylinders with regard to recruiting. You can't win a race with 90% of an engine. Hopefully that is perception more than reality, but until we regain a title there will continue to be restlessless among the natives, which is healthy.

I am a long time fan from afar in CO. I had met T&T, Luke and the others in passing over the years. Lately, I have been fortunate to be around them more. Thru this contact, I see how they've altered their tactics after evaluating the program. Targeting and full on recruiting top recruits being one area, and having a strong HWC so our guys can train with them another ( I know Tarp agrees with each area).

We now see this change in recruiting. This year, we have quality wrestlers stepping in at 165, 174 and likely now 184. Other young returners have promise at 141, and maybe 133. 197 could surprise us this year.

Next year, we have quality guys at 125, 149 and 197. Hopefully, all of the young guys this year can step up and deliver to match or exceed their credentials. That's on the coaches and they know it.

Further, I know that Tom and M* are all over who we get for next season(s). It's early, and we need a couple more quality commits.

We all want to be great NOW, but it just can't happen overnight given limited $ to go around. However, I think we'll make great strides this season, then put a whooping on folks from at least 9 weights next year (please Stoll stay healthy!!)
Double thanks for this, Bnicolls.

Reactions: DirkTang1
Leave it to our staff to bleep up what is otherwise a great hire by not putting him in the best position to help the program succeed. Perry is not only a proven strong recruiter but also a proven strong mid and upper way developer of talent. Something the staff clearly lacks. Sorry but this is just frustrating to know that Perry is here but he can't be helping us land guys like Brooks and Hidlay.

Success of HWC and the Hawks will go hand in hand. If Perry can get IMar in here next year and maybe one or two other big names, it will sell itself. Plus, who says Perry can't roll with guys? The only things he can't do are go on the road and sit in the corner. However, I don't know how much of a recruiter Perry was. He got guys from Cali but a lot of good talent left the state of Illinois.

Success of HWC and the Hawks will go hand in hand. If Perry can get IMar in here next year and maybe one or two other big names, it will sell itself. Plus, who says Perry can't roll with guys? The only things he can't do are go on the road and sit in the corner. However, I don't know how much of a recruiter Perry was. He got guys from Cali but a lot of good talent left the state of Illinois.
I'm sure Perry can help close the deal on recruits during official visits.

I have never bashed Mstar and never will, especially after watching him wrestle on one leg at nationals like a warrior. And he's the one that clearly gets what is going on with recruiting in college wrestling right now.

From what I've gathered, it's all about official relation to the university wrestling team.

Perry is not on the roster for the U of IA Hawkeyes (and is not paid by their athletic department). Without an official relationship to the U of IA Athletic deprtment, he cannot recruit off campus per NCAA rules.

Metcalf is listed on ISU's roster. His official relationship to the ISU Athletic deprtments allows him to recruit off campus even though he is paid by their wrestling club.

Got it. So basically if Perry was in Berhow's position (which I am not advocating!) as a volunteer assistant and remains leader of HWC/RTC. Then could recruit on and off campus, sit in corner, etc.....just what I am gathering here.

Got it. So basically if Perry was in Berhow's position (which I am not advocating!) as a volunteer assistant and remains leader of HWC/RTC. Then could recruit on and off campus, sit in corner, etc.....just what I am gathering here.

True story

Reactions: HawkFT
True story
Are you sure in this? I thought the volunteer position could not recruit off campus? That's why it was key that Metcalf was a paid camp.

Are you sure in this? I thought the volunteer position could not recruit off campus? That's why it was key that Metcalf was a paid camp.
The volunteer assistant can not recruit off campus. Can't call or text recruits either. Metcalf can do camps and on campus recruiting

Thanks for this, Spoons. I think the reason some people bash M* is because we've been out-recruited until recently, and he doesn't have the NCAA/Olympic pedigree of TnT, so there is perhaps an inclination by some to see him as the weak link, which is unfair. Your comments about TnT also ring true, i.e. not being wired to hit the road. I do take issue with the term "BS kids into coming to Iowa." I can see TnT seeing salesmanship as BS! But selling is a key part of the job, and if it's an area of weakness you need to shore it up, the same as you'd work harder on getting off the bottom if that's an area of weakness as a wrestler. No one says, "I don't care about not being able to get off the bottom--I think being on the bottom is BS." The buck stops with Tom, and I'm glad to see the program addressing the things that need to be addressed. I'm still dismayed that we seem to be not quite firing on all cylinders with regard to recruiting. You can't win a race with 90% of an engine. Hopefully that is perception more than reality, but until we regain a title there will continue to be restlessless among the natives, which is healthy.

Very much respect your opinion Tarp.

I think Tom is 100% on recruiting now. Of course M* works his butt off and will continue to do so. Last spring I heard Larry Lee tell the story of how Spencer was having great difficulty making weight at his last Junior Worlds, which he later won. Frustration was deeply setting in, and Larry was saying maybe best to bag it. Tom caught wind of it and the next day Matt M shows up and helps with the cut. Spencer then wins. The Lee's will never forget that, and that story will have legs for a long time.

Tom does not like to fly. Yet he'll make massive drives in a heartbeat for many purposes, most of all recruiting.

I predict we continue to get high quality recruits and then develop them for great results. Always Always hoping for health too.

This year will be tough on our overall ranking, but believe we'll see the young guys improve greatly as the season goes, with good announcements of talent coming to Iowa.

I think Tom is 100% on recruiting now. Of course M* works his butt off and will continue to do so. Last spring I heard Larry Lee tell the story of how Spencer was having great difficulty making weight at his last Junior Worlds, which he later won. Frustration was deeply setting in, and Larry was saying maybe best to bag it. Tom caught wind of it and the next day Matt M shows up and helps with the cut. Spencer then wins. The Lee's will never forget that, and that story will have legs for a long time.

Tom does not like to fly. Yet he'll make massive drives in a heartbeat for many purposes, most of all recruiting.

I predict we continue to get high quality recruits and then develop them for great results. Always Always hoping for health too.

This year will be tough on our overall ranking, but believe we'll see the young guys improve greatly as the season goes, with good announcements of talent coming to Iowa.
You should post more. Your positivity counter-balances my rants.

Who all is known Official Visitors so far? Any predictions on who will eventually sign with the Hawks?

100% all in is pretty strong considering the father of what will likely be the #1 recruit in his class confirmed In this very thread they've yet to hear from Iowa.
Yes things appear to be improving but we're still way behind and others aren't going to all of a sudden slow down.
Is there a phobia of using a phone too?
Hell I hate flying but I need to do it regularly for work in order to be successful and keep my job.

Reactions: TarpHawk
You can understand the frustration from ISU fans. The staff came on board with lots of hoopla and have yet to snag an elite or top 20 recruit, to date. Dresser is going to be pretty disappointed if Teske doesn't end up there considering the emphasis he has put into his recruitment... from many reports.

It's also a big priority to beat the Hawks for his services. Teske is a bigger need, from many angles, for ISU than he is for the Hawks.

Dresser has 4 elite kids scheduled for officials already (5 if you count Teske) - Teske is a bigger need for ISU than the Hawks, but maybe even more so for PSU - I have more confidence in two of the top 20 kids visiting than I do with Teske for what it's worth. I'd like Teske to stay in state but we'll see.

Dresser has 4 elite kids scheduled for officials already (5 if you count Teske) - Teske is a bigger need for ISU than the Hawks, but maybe even more so for PSU - I have more confidence in two of the top 20 kids visiting than I do with Teske for what it's worth. I'd like Teske to stay in state but we'll see.
Lewan 49/57, B. Lee 41/49, Sasso 41/49, Carr 57/65, Teske 25/33? I bet they land only one of these guys with Teske being there best shot.

Lewan 49/57, B. Lee 41/49, Sasso 41/49, Carr 57/65, Teske 25/33? I bet they land only one of these guys with Teske being there best shot.
Their* - And Lewan isn't one of them - They may very well only get one, we'll see. But from what I'm told, 2 others are more likely than Teske.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT