ADVERTISEMENT

Thank goodness the pain is over

JerseyCityHawki

HR All-American
Oct 28, 2019
Hackensack, New Jersey
Might go down as one of the most frustrating seasons I can remember in a long while and there’s been plenty of them. Not a very exciting team and have very few talented players and the athleticism is much to be desired . Time to clean house and start over as Fran has worn his time out here… I am not sure why people think Iowa is going to be that much different next season? I just don’t see it… very frustrating season that’s for sure.

You guys want to get rid of the winningest coach, after 14 years??

You're crazy.

What's next, you expect him to teach it as well as expect the team to try on the defensive end?!

Regular season conference titles and Sweet16s, or better, are for other fanbases. We're "just Iowa". Stop being greedy. jeez

[/heavy sarcasm]

This team was flawed from the start. Some real bright spots with Owen and Dix. Peyton had some great games and the only TD in Iowa history, No real PG, No real C. Still dont (or can’t) play defense. There is no perfect team, but Iowa just has too many exploitable weaknesses and the coaches kid got too many minutes and didn’t produce enough to warrant it. Glad it‘s over, this was not an NCAA tournament team in any way.

Iowa played hoops tonight? Shows how uninterested I have been all year.
That is funny as I forgot they were playing too. Got up this morning and checked scores to see how Iowa St. women did against Stanford. Then got on hawkeye report and saw the caption that the Iowa men lost. I expected nothing from the team this year and got exactly that.

I appreciate what Fran did to resurrect the program after the Lick debacle.

Having said that...it's pretty much groundhog day with Fran. I'm ready to move on.

Unless Fran makes the tournament next year I think there's a decent chance Beth will want her own coach in there. Fran probably deserves that type of job barometer.

Might go down as one of the most frustrating seasons I can remember in a long while and there’s been plenty of them. Not a very exciting team and have very few talented players and the athleticism is much to be desired . Time to clean house and start over as Fran has worn his time out here… I am not sure why people think Iowa is going to be that much different next season? I just don’t see it… very frustrating season that’s for sure.
It’s time.

Iowa basketball is Charmin soft. That is not the Iowa way. Get a coach who can find players who aren’t soft. I’m sick of it.

Decent year,.. .500 in conference play is right where I expected this team to fall, and better than most were predicting,.. Exciting new talent coming in, next year should be a little better.

Decent year,.. .500 in conference play is right where I expected this team to fall, and better than most were predicting,.. Exciting new talent coming in, next year should be a little better.
Are expectations that low that making the NIT is considered a “decent year”?

And what “exciting new talent” is coming in that fixes what Iowa lacks?

Iowa played hoops tonight? Shows how uninterested I have been all year.
That is funny as I forgot they were playing too. Got up this morning and checked scores to see how Iowa St. women did against Stanford. Then got on hawkeye report and saw the caption that the Iowa men lost. I expected nothing from the team this year and got exactly that.
You guys are so cool. Come onto the iowa basketball board to talk about how you didn’t watch the game or even know they played. Later you’ll probably talk about how big of fans you are.

We all get it, we’re bored of Iowa basketball as well. I suppose you don’t watch patriots football games anymore either. (Not that Iowa was ever close to as good as the patriots. But, that shows how douche or a fan you two are).

This team was flawed from the start. Some real bright spots with Owen and Dix. Peyton had some great games and the only TD in Iowa history, No real PG, No real C. Still dont (or can’t) play defense. There is no perfect team, but Iowa just has too many exploitable weaknesses and the coaches kid got too many minutes and didn’t produce enough to warrant it. Glad it‘s over, this was not an NCAA tournament team in any way.
The only TD in Iowa history ... that's kinda funny in a football context

It’s time.

Iowa basketball is Charmin soft. That is not the Iowa way. Get a coach who can find players who aren’t soft. I’m sick of it.
So true. Been saying it for a long time, you can just see it.....but if you like facts, the number one telling statistic is the rebounding.

Saw this quote just a little bit ago from a player: "Nobody is really upset with what happened on the court tonight."

There it is in a nutshell. Gave up 90+ points (again), out rebounded (again) shot 11 less free throws, the season is over.....and nobody is really upset. I know it's an interview from a kid, but that's a pretty telling statement IMO.

Not gonna bash the player, he is just a reflection on his Coach.

Are expectations that low that making the NIT is considered a “decent year”?

And what “exciting new talent” is coming in that fixes what Iowa lacks?

High expectations are something that I set for myself, college sports are nothing more than entertainment,.. This basketball team was on the fence from the start of the year so NIT was always a very distinct possibility,.. Regarding new talent I like what Cooper Koch could bring to the program.

I appreciate what Fran did to resurrect the program after the Lick debacle.

Having said that...it's pretty much groundhog day with Fran. I'm ready to move on.

Unless Fran makes the tournament next year I think there's a decent chance Beth will want her own coach in there. Fran probably deserves that type of job barometer.
This is where I am, too. The athletic department is in much better hands now than it was under BG's moron of a predecessor. I don't think she'll do a knee-jerk quick hook with FM, but I have no doubt they'll have a "come to Jesus" talk real soon. Her expectations should be NCAA Tourney next season and B1G Championship or Sweet 16 the following season, or else it's adios. That's more than I personally think he deserves, but I would be satisfied with that setup. Under the previous administration I wouldn't have been surprised to wake up one morning this summer and learn about a new 5-year $20M extension for Fran....

God I would give anything to have you whiners go away. These kids play their hearts out so a bunch of out of shape cry babies can sit on their couch and bitch about something they wouldn't have the balls to put the work into. Go follow the clowns.
You realize that this is a message board for discussing the basketball team, right? Exactly what kind of discussion were you expecting given the current state of things? And although some players have been mentioned, I don't see anyone trashing any of the players personally, outside of an apparent lackluster effort from some last night. The frustration is aimed at our fat cat head coach and the befuddling longevity he has been privileged despite rather poor results over his entire tenure, despite having some amazing talent here and there and good NCAA seeds a few times.

Perhaps you can ask the mods to start an "Iowa rainbows and unicorns board" where everyone is only allowed to discuss the great things about Iowa athletics and nothing else.

Imagine the coaches lining up for the Iowa job after firing Fran for performance.
After Fran's 14 years at Iowa, how would you rate the current state of his basketball program at Iowa? Where it is TODAY- not in past years. Not overall performance, but the present. Is it at a point that you feel is about right after a 14 year program build? if so, then the state of the program right now should be the expectation going forward. If not, then do we stay with "status quo" or try to improve it?

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
So true. Been saying it for a long time, you can just see it.....but if you like facts, the number one telling statistic is the rebounding.

Saw this quote just a little bit ago from a player: "Nobody is really upset with what happened on the court tonight."

There it is in a nutshell. Gave up 90+ points (again), out rebounded (again) shot 11 less free throws, the season is over.....and nobody is really upset. I know it's an interview from a kid, but that's a pretty telling statement IMO.

Not gonna bash the player, he is just a reflection on his Coach.
If one of the players really did say. "Nobody is really upset with what happened on the court tonight" then we either need new players or a new coach. Or both. And the change needs to happen right away.

You realize that this is a message board for discussing the basketball team, right? Exactly what kind of discussion were you expecting given the current state of things? And although some players have been mentioned, I don't see anyone trashing any of the players personally, outside of an apparent lackluster effort from some last night. The frustration is aimed at our fat cat head coach and the befuddling longevity he has been privileged despite rather poor results over his entire tenure, despite having some amazing talent here and there and good NCAA seeds a few times.

Perhaps you can ask the mods to start an "Iowa rainbows and unicorns board" where everyone is only allowed to discuss the great things about Iowa athletics and nothing else.
Yeah have you noticed that no one has done better?? We lost Tom Davis over this kind of thing. Iowa has never been able to get top flight recruits. We get some and they excel. We never get 5 very athletic players and 3 more back ups. We never have.

• Haha
Reactions: DewHawk
You guys are so cool. Come onto the iowa basketball board to talk about how you didn’t watch the game or even know they played. Later you’ll probably talk about how big of fans you are.

We all get it, we’re bored of Iowa basketball as well. I suppose you don’t watch patriots football games anymore either. (Not that Iowa was ever close to as good as the patriots. But, that shows how douche or a fan you two are).
Not remembering the games are on isn't being "cool". it's a reflection on how incredibly stagnant the program is.

God I would give anything to have you whiners go away. These kids play their hearts out so a bunch of out of shape cry babies can sit on their couch and bitch about something they wouldn't have the balls to put the work into. Go follow the clowns.
I ran 8 miles today, and do 4 days a week. So, being in shape, I now have the right to bitch. Fran needs to go.

Yeah have you noticed that no one has done better?? We lost Tom Davis over this kind of thing. Iowa has never been able to get top flight recruits. We get some and they excel. We never get 5 very athletic players and 3 more back ups. We never have.
And yet, in 3 seasons Dewey Oxburger has Iowa State in 2 Sweet 16's and is a legitimate threat to make the Final Four. And he took over a team that had won 2 games. But somehow it's just not possible to have results like that at Iowa.

I am sick to death of the defeatist attitude of some of our fan base.

I've seen much worse. Freshmen are frustrating to watch, but there is hope for the future. Frustrating is when you have seniors that underperform. Next year will be better but if you think Iowa has a budding national championship team, well, you will be very disappointed. It's tough seeing Illinois getting to put together a team every decade or so that can make a serious run at it.

• Love
Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
After Fran's 14 years at Iowa, how would you rate the current state of his basketball program at Iowa? Where it is TODAY- not in past years. Not overall performance, but the present. Is it at a point that you feel is about right after a 14 year program build? if so, then the state of the program right now should be the expectation going forward. If not, then do we stay with "status quo" or try to improve it?
I think we’re as stale as the end of Davis era. The only difference is TD teams had a better reputation. They’d rebound and press.

Frans teams ?? Guess they score a lot of points??? But there’s no toughness.

We had a magical run in the BTT followed by an embarrassing first round loss in NCAA. That’s the highlight from team perspective. Lots of individual awards tho.

This team needs Fran to change SOMETHING, or it’s time for new blood

Reactions: HawkLogic
Except in the mid to late 80’s. 😉

Reactions: Bierhalter
So we're down to giving out participation trophies in Iowa City now, eh? If you're cool with that, great. Some people expect more . . . or maybe it's crazy to think a basketball team should be able to play defense and rebound, two of the easiest things in all of sports because 90% of both are simply effort. Yet Fran's teams, after 14 years, still can't do either one with any consistency. But maybe that's OK. Or maybe not.

Reactions: TheRealHerky
High expectations are something that I set for myself, college sports are nothing more than entertainment,.. This basketball team was on the fence from the start of the year so NIT was always a very distinct possibility,.. Regarding new talent I like what Cooper Koch could bring to the program.
I agree Cooper Koch could be a good one. My point was Iowa badly needs guards, rebounding, and a rim protector. I don’t see Koch providing any of that.

Was it just me or were Perkins and Fran both checked out last night? Neither seemed to really be giving much effort. Fran has been chill for quite awhile now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT