ADVERTISEMENT

The BTN Bus should be rolling into Iowa City

A few things I picked up from the BTN show.

Amani Jones is looking good in the middle. Phil Parker stated Niemann will likely be on the outside and either Welch or Colbert for the last spot. Also that Niemann could potentially move inside if Wade comes on strong.

They were expecting the D ends to be good but were pleasantly surprised by the d tackles as well.

Slightly worried about CB depth and that they are young. Didn't mention the safeties that I recall.

Denardo stated the oline waa better than he expected. The crew believes the receivers will make a big jump this year. The TEs are the strong point and we have 3 good RB's. Long thought IKM would be the primary back with Young being 3rd down/short yardage guy.

They also seemed to be pretty high on Stanley in general.

The IKM and Young thing was really interesting to me. You would think IKM would be the third down back but apparently Young is said to have excellent hands and is good pass protector.

The IKM and Young thing was really interesting to me. You would think IKM would be the third down back but apparently Young is said to have excellent hands and is good pass protector.

We won't know until they get in games. The only concern I have had with Young all along is whether he is fast enough to be the main guy. Iowa has to get big plays out of the running game. If a play is blocked well, Iowa's offense needs a RB who can turn the well-blocked 7-8 yard gain into 20+ yards by making a guy miss. When Iowa has had a good offense under KF, it's with a back who can do that.

It's too bad IKM fumbled in his first game where he got action last year (Illinois?). He seems to have the physical tools to be a dynamic back. He's fast, and bigger than Wadley was last year. His 57-yard run at Nebraska last year was something you can't teach. I would guess all 3 guys (IKM, Young, Sargent) will get opportunities early on. The best couple of guys will play the most.

We won't know until they get in games. The only concern I have had with Young all along is whether he is fast enough to be the main guy. Iowa has to get big plays out of the running game. If a play is blocked well, Iowa's offense needs a RB who can turn the well-blocked 7-8 yard gain into 20+ yards by making a guy miss. When Iowa has had a good offense under KF, it's with a back who can do that.

It's too bad IKM fumbled in his first game where he got action last year (Illinois?). He seems to have the physical tools to be a dynamic back. He's fast, and bigger than Wadley was last year. His 57-yard run at Nebraska last year was something you can't teach. I would guess all 3 guys (IKM, Young, Sargent) will get opportunities early on. The best couple of guys will play the most.

Young seems to have decent speed for his size based on seeing him run last year. Not a burner but that really won't be his role. IKM definitely the fastest one of the three.

How fast was Shonn Greene? Even Wadley? Those guys were not world class burners but regularly found the endzone from 20+ yds out. Is about having a feel for the open field and weaving through traffic. I think Toren does have the ability to break big runs.

Reactions: cmhawks99
How fast was Shonn Greene? Even Wadley? Those guys were not world class burners but regularly found the endzone from 20+ yds out. Is about having a feel for the open field and weaving through traffic. I think Toren does have the ability to break big runs.

Agreed. Outside of Tavian Banks, when has Iowa ever had a back with elite speed? It’s unnecessary for our style of rushing. Ladell Betts, Jermelle Lewis, Fred Russell, Shonn Greene, Albert Young, Akrum Wadley...not one had elite speed at Iowa. And all had a lot of success running the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT