ADVERTISEMENT

The difference between the hawk DLine and OLines is the recruits/coaches and not Doyle

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
The recent thread about Doyle and how Iowa is "not playing very well" since Doyle left is a fallacy and proven by how great the defense, especially the front seven have played the last 3 years.

The defense has even increased their Bullies of the Big 10 reputation with on field accomplishments. Kudos to coach Parker and his assistants for coaching them up. The defensive players have been under the same S&C coach as the offense.

As so many others who follow recruiting and the player's development have said, there have been too many recruiting misses on the OLine, too many injuries and retirements like Mark Kallenberger, and very possibly a loss of coaching ability.

The way the Oline completely fell apart mentally and physically after a promising early drive and the All Jr. fumble, tells me there is something else besides a lack of physicality going on. I believe Doyle gave the players an additional mental toughness component in the S&C program.

The recent thread about Doyle and how Iowa is "not playing very well" since Doyle left is a fallacy and proven by how great the defense, especially the front seven have played the last 3 years.

The defense has even increased their Bullies of the Big 10 reputation with on field accomplishments. Kudos to coach Parker and his assistants for coaching them up. The defensive players have been under the same S&C coach as the offense.

As so many others who follow recruiting and the player's development have said, there have been too many recruiting misses on the OLine, too many injuries and retirements like Mark Kallenberger, and very possibly a loss of coaching ability.
You don’t know what you are talking bout, but what else is new

Iowa has been a medicore running team since Shon Greene left. Doyle was there for many years of it.
Plenty of misses that season as well. Shonn did a good job of making up for blown assignments (usually) but I also remember a few 4th and shorts where he was swarmed in the backfield.

After Iowa lost to Michigan St. in the championship game, Iowa started changing their defensive line philosophy after the coaches visited Georgia. The idea is that you get around 10 quality players that can play at any time and keeping the line fresh by rotating them. I might be wrong here, just going off my memory.

I think this change is the reason why the defensive line has gotten better. I wish the coaches could find a solution to the offensive line troubles. Sure need it!

Reactions: intrepodor
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT