ADVERTISEMENT

The Iowa way, here is the issue...NIL killed it

BlIIlken2

HR All-American
Nov 23, 2021
Developing overlooked/under valued players and having them go to the NFL isn't going to happen anymore. Any smaller program is going to have players leaving for big $$$ at the slightest bit of success.

Or the unconscious bias that existed killed the “Iowa way”…
I think more likely is that aggressive recruiters that bend and/or break the rules are going to have a bigger advantage since there are in essence no longer any rules. This will definitely hurt Iowa FB. I don’t think KF is a particularly aggressive recruiter and not one to cheat.

I think KF and the Iowa recruiting strength has always been honesty and integrity. Everyone can place their own value on that - some place more, some place less. But everyone places a value on it.

Will the value of Iowa/KFs honesty and integrity outweigh the value of flashy NIL elsewhere? Seems unlikely it will trump $2M+ in Proctor’s case.

Strangely, the more shady the world of NIL can become - and the more wide scale injustices that come from it - might actually increase the value of honesty and integrity…something many programs don’t seem to value much themselves.

No. I thought one of the fake pillars of the Iowa way was Smart. Nothing smart about an offense that won't evolve and hiring a family member for OC and QB coach with zero experience. Nothing smart about telling recruits how unsexy Iowa is when a great GameDay atmosphere and path to NFL are what recruits want.

Kirk shit on the Iowa way but he and much of the fan base are just not smart enough to realize it, ironically.

NIL kinda sucks right now. It will probably suck for a few years - the NCAA screwed this up royally.

But I think the demise of programs like Iowa have been overstated. We’re going to struggle to keep up with the top 5-10 programs - just like we have always struggled to keep up. And once there’s a few years of people wasting money on guys that transfer and transfers that flame out I really think it will settle down.

It will be interesting and I don’t have lots of confidence in that statement… but I think it’s more likely schools leave the NCAA because of this mess than Iowa suddenly collapsing (although the prospect of a coaching change Barta can screw up may come at the worst possible time)

NIL kinda sucks right now. It will probably suck for a few years - the NCAA screwed this up royally.

But I think the demise of programs like Iowa have been overstated. We’re going to struggle to keep up with the top 5-10 programs - just like we have always struggled to keep up. And once there’s a few years of people wasting money on guys that transfer and transfers that flame out I really think it will settle down.

It will be interesting and I don’t have lots of confidence in that statement… but I think it’s more likely schools leave the NCAA because of this mess than Iowa suddenly collapsing (although the prospect of a coaching change Barta can screw up may come at the worst possible time)
What I think will happen is once they expand it to 12 teams it will be pretty much the same teams (Ohio State, Michigan Ala, Georgia, Clemson, Notre Dame in the playoffs for a few years. Then they will expand to about 20 to try and keep interest. Bowl games outside of the playoffs will go away once they expand to 12. Lower tier programs like Iowa, Iowa State, Purdue etc. will play their regular season games and once they realize they have too many losses to get to the playoffs there is nothing left for them to play for. These teams will never get to the playoffs going forward. Interest will drop for each team. Players will start opting out for the rest of the season. Just like what is happening now for the bowl games. It will just happen sooner. What could happen is teams in the playoffs could go out and get players from these lower tier teams to transfer during the season. Is there anything to stop them from doing this now? Why not go and get a good kicker for the playoff run. Lower tier programs will be like the minors as you say. The fan bases of the big time programs are happy with this because it does not really affect them. I hope this does not happen because I love going to a bowl game in December/January.

What I think will happen is once they expand it to 12 teams it will be pretty much the same teams (Ohio State, Michigan Ala, Georgia, Clemson, Notre Dame in the playoffs for a few years. Then they will expand to about 20 to try and keep interest. Bowl games outside of the playoffs will go away once they expand to 12. Lower tier programs like Iowa, Iowa State, Purdue etc. will play their regular season games and once they realize they have too many losses to get to the playoffs there is nothing left for them to play for. These teams will never get to the playoffs going forward. Interest will drop for each team. Players will start opting out for the rest of the season. Just like what is happening now for the bowl games. It will just happen sooner. What could happen is teams in the playoffs could go out and get players from these lower tier teams to transfer during the season. Is there anything to stop them from doing this now? Why not go and get a good kicker for the playoff run. Lower tier programs will be like the minors as you say. The fan bases of the big time programs are happy with this because it does not really affect them. I hope this does not happen because I love going to a bowl game in December/January.

Yes - there is something to stop them from recruiting during the season. Those players wouldn’t be eligible for their new teams until the following year.

And putting Iowa on any list with Iowa State and Purdue is nuts

I think more likely is that aggressive recruiters that bend and/or break the rules are going to have a bigger advantage since there are in essence no longer any rules. This will definitely hurt Iowa FB. I don’t think KF is a particularly aggressive recruiter and not one to cheat.
KF days are numbered, Iowa football is bigger than any one coach. Look guys, the game is evolving. Iowa will be fine, in fact, with our rabid fan base I believe this will be a net positive. Let’s be honest, Iowa isn’t the greatest destination, but money talks and bullshit walks. Let’s not forget, Iowa isn’t poor when it comes to football programs. IT’S GONNA BE FINE.

Yes - there is something to stop them from recruiting during the season. Those players wouldn’t be eligible for their new teams until the following year.

"And putting Iowa on any list with Iowa State and Purdue is nuts."
-----Is it? The Clone wretches beat us and we often have trouble (as in lose) with Purdont.

I hope those who hand out Iowa NIL $ prioritize well. Offering a recruit more money than players who have developed and contributed at Iowa (Lukas Van Ness, Kaleb Johnson, ...) seems like a big mistake.

No. I thought one of the fake pillars of the Iowa way was Smart. Nothing smart about an offense that won't evolve and hiring a family member for OC and QB coach with zero experience. Nothing smart about telling recruits how unsexy Iowa is when a great GameDay atmosphere and path to NFL are what recruits want.

Kirk shit on the Iowa way but he and much of the fan base are just not smart enough to realize it, ironically.

So you’ve sad! How was the offense before?

Reactions: Bishop1971
-----Is it? The Clone wretches beat us and we often have trouble (as in lose) with Purdont.
We are discussing the future of Iowa football. In my opinion - a better reference point for deciding tiers would be use if a longer benchmark. And if you look at the last 20 years…. It’s nuts

How much are these top teams willing to pay backups?
This statement cannot be understated. Handing out money to highly rated high school recruits will be a double edge sword. Yes, the high rating is justified on the recruits performance in high school but some players will not rise to the compensation paid.
Portal transfers will increase, coaches leave due to payouts don’t match performance, shrinking NIL money due to economic pressures or donor money reduces.

I will make a prediction that in a few years NIL money will be either regulated by the schools who overpaid or “influencers” will push for regulation.
The money will drive everything and we will see more coaching turnstiles because they couldn’t develop the overpaid recruits or they also follow the money.

A chaotic prediction but that’s what money driven programs do.

"The sky is falling crowd" is hilarious. Transfers/NIL is a two way street. There are still a finite amount of positions available on the field and top players will move just as much as diamonds in the rough.

This statement cannot be understated. Handing out money to highly rated high school recruits will be a double edge sword. Yes, the high rating is justified on the recruits performance in high school but some players will not rise to the compensation paid.
Portal transfers will increase, coaches leave due to payouts don’t match performance, shrinking NIL money due to economic pressures or donor money reduces.

I will make a prediction that in a few years NIL money will be either regulated by the schools who overpaid or “influencers” will push for regulation.
The money will drive everything and we will see more coaching turnstiles because they couldn’t develop the overpaid recruits or they also follow the money.

A chaotic prediction but that’s what money driven programs do.
It is interesting and no one knows for sure what will transpire. I'm all for players getting a cut of the money being generated from college football. But there is a flip side to that as well. If a player does not perform up to the expectations of a big NIL enticement to come to that school, then players had better be prepared to see the NIL money dry up in future years for them and/or not have their scholarship renewed, or both. If everyone is going to be treated as adults here and able to profit off the system, then the players don't get to claim "they are just kids" anymore.

I'm not sure legally what rules the NCAA could even put in place now. The Supreme Court decision was 9-0 last year and by the wording of the justices who explained their decisions, they seemed pretty clear that they believe the players deserve some direct payments as well, not just NIL.

I was just using them as a reference. You could have referenced the entire West division. None of these teams will make the so called playoffs in the future unless they go out and buy a team. Once there is no chance to make the playoffs I think more players will opt out before the season ends.

I was just using them as a reference. You could have referenced the entire West division. None of these teams will make the so called playoffs in the future unless they go out and buy a team. Once there is no chance to make the playoffs I think more players will opt out before the season ends.
If it gets to that point, the players won’t be the only ones opting out.

Joe Burrow moved because of lack of playing time. It’ll happen.

A strategy based on relying on the 3rd string players that enter portal from Blue Blood teams for incoming
players while a the same time losing your best development/star instate players to same Blue blood schools because they pay better NIL money doesn't bode well for success.

Iowa will be able to get more MAC level players though---stealing from the Poor to be not so poor.

A strategy based on relying on the 3rd string players that enter portal from Blue Blood teams for incoming
players while a the same time losing your best development/star instate players to same Blue blood schools because they pay better NIL money doesn't bode well for success.

Iowa will be able to get more MAC level players though---stealing from the Poor to be not so poor.
I get the attitude and hate the offense right now but quit being dramatic like Iowa hasn’t won’t games. They’re top 15 total wins since 2015. Pretty good company.

Developing overlooked/under valued players and having them go to the NFL isn't going to happen anymore. Any smaller program is going to have players leaving for big $$$ at the slightest bit of success.
Iowa has a top 20 athletic budget. To think we can't come to the table with money is absurd. The Iowa way is going to still work just fine. NIL is going to help Iowa in the long run. I think it's going to hurt the Alabamas of the world in the long run because they can't afford their current rosters. It's going to add a lot of parity amongst the top 35 or so earning athletic departments and it's going to severely hit the programs who have been used to being ranked #1 or #2 every recruiting class.

I like looking at the last 7 years and it looks pretty solid. And i am sure that the amount of nil even by Georgia and other blue bloods is not sustainable at the rate they are going. And the university might be high on donations but nil donations seem to have really only been picking up since the loss of whats his bame was first rumored. Last spring our nil donations were way below other teams just in the big much less down south. If we donate to the swarm we'll be competitive. Mark my words, if we fail to recognize that nil donations are more important right now than university donations we will have struggles. I think we'll be fine and better than fine. The first year of the 12 team platoff we'll be 1 of those teams!

Iowa State and Purdue, combined, have one 10 win season in their histories (Iowa State has none).

How many does Iowa have the last 35 years?

Ten??

Iowa has a top 20 athletic budget. To think we can't come to the table with money is absurd. The Iowa way is going to still work just fine. NIL is going to help Iowa in the long run. I think it's going to hurt the Alabamas of the world in the long run because they can't afford their current rosters. It's going to add a lot of parity amongst the top 35 or so earning athletic departments and it's going to severely hit the programs who have been used to being ranked #1 or #2 every recruiting class.
Some here seem to fail grasping the concept that until players get paid directly out of athletic revenues, it doesn’t matter how much the AD makes. Iowa will be better off the minute that becomes a reality because there will be a cap put into place. There will be Title IX issues at stake, and tax exempt status as well. The longer the NIL model for compensating players is in place, the disadvantage the Iowa program is in will continue to grow.

Iowa State and Purdue, combined, have one 10 win season in their histories (Iowa State has none).

How many does Iowa have the last 35 years?

Ten??
How about in the last 7 years. Still looking good. No comparison to isu ir Purdue in ny opinion either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT