ADVERTISEMENT

The McCaffrey's really brought it tonight alright!

Just tired of Connors bitching -good riddancr
It just goes to show what his dad lets him get away with. It may have been warranted in this case maybe not but people act like Connor is some sort of basketball savant. He is not. He is a coaches kid that has gotten away with a lot over the years and likely would not have played near the minutes he has under another coach.

I’ve been done with Fran for a few years now but still support the team. I know mental illness is brutal but Patrick shouldn’t be playing at all regardless. He is bringing absolutely nothing to this team other than poor shooting, horrid defense, and less than average rebounding for a guy his size. As has been said, Dix should get all his minutes.

Every time I begrudgingly accept the free company tickets to the Hawkeye game here in Madison, I convince myself "It can't be worse than last time". Wrong. We got ZERO fast break points. When we play a team like Wisconsin (that isn't very good this year) that plays tough defense, there is some point in the game that we just mentally fold and then can't catch up because we run a very poor half court offense, and of course our defense is legendarily pathetic. Frans record in close games by whatever metric you use is embarrassing. He is a very below average bench coach that can't win during an off shooting night.

At one time tonight, Connor was actually arguing with Kris about something while on the court. This team is mentally weak when challenged and it is direct insight into how they are coached.
Kris was facing away from the camera so it just looked like Connor was chewing him out. Not a good look for a guy delivering the game CM was, even if it was Kris' worst game of year. Kris and Fil are the only reasons this team has a shot at the NCAA tourney. STFU Daddy's boy

Let's not talk Wisconsin up too much here........yeah their staff is better than Iowa's but what does that mean, really?
This, IA needs to divest themselves of Fran as the coach.

And honestly, let's face it. We were a much better team with PMac either not on the team or playing very limited minutes. He bad; he needs to get another sad and go to UNI or someplace.

Last edited:
I’ve been done with Fran for a few years now but still support the team. I know mental illness is brutal but Patrick shouldn’t be playing at all regardless. He is bringing absolutely nothing to this team other than poor shooting, horrid defense, and less than average rebounding for a guy his size. As has been said, Dix should get all his minutes.
Really good sentiment here...

It just goes to show what his dad lets him get away with. It may have been warranted in this case maybe not but people act like Connor is some sort of basketball savant. He is not. He is a coaches kid that has gotten away with a lot over the years and likely would not have played near the minutes he has under another coach.
I watched Connor tonight in-person and felt he brought nothing to the table. Minimal assists, three turnovers, can't drive to the hoop, bricked shots, arguing with team mates. They isolated him a few times tonight on defense with a much taller player and he was easily scored on. I honestly feel you could put him on a DIII team and he wouldn't stand out. The nepotism thing has gotten way out of hand at Iowa. The only reason people defend FMACs mediocre coaching record I feel is because they are comparing him to the worst coach Iowa basketball has ever had.

How about the McCaffrey's bringing the heat tonight?

- Connor: 1-6 (0-5 3's; all wide open as I recall) from 3 point land, flopping around all over the place, 3 TO's, whining and complaining as always.

- PMAc: matador defense, 0 points, wasted / worthless minutes, pissing down his leg once again

- Fran not having his team ready and pissing and moaning about the calls again - as usual.

This entire team was so mentally weak tonight, pathetic... Kris, well he's no Keegan.

This is the worst loss against one of the worst W

I teams I've seen. Terrible
It's a family business.

I watched Connor tonight in-person and felt he brought nothing to the table. Minimal assists, three turnovers, can't drive to the hoop, bricked shots, arguing with team mates. They isolated him a few times tonight on defense with a much taller player and he was easily scored on. I honestly feel you could put him on a DIII team and he wouldn't stand out. The nepotism thing has gotten way out of hand at Iowa. The only reason people defend FMACs mediocre coaching record I feel is because they are comparing him to the worst coach Iowa basketball has ever had.
Last 2 games Connor has played 69 minutes and tallied a grand total of 4 points. 0-8 from 3 and most of those were bad misses on open shots. Was able to pass it to some guys who can actually put it in the hoop though.

Invaluable

Seemed to all turn bad when 3 balls from the corner went down with know one covering the shooter.
I never want to pile on a kid dealing with anxiety issues but PMac hasn't been anywhere near good enough. Seems mentally he is still not right. I'm guessing it's very much affecting his game. As far as Connor goes....well he's been bad outside of the great assist game. His shooting has definitely cooled off w the rest of our team. Bad loss against a trash Wisconsin team.

I've been a Fran supporter but it's getting tougher to do so. He can't put the ball in the bucket for the team but he can get the ball down to Filip much more than he did and play his son's a heck of lot less - especially Patrick; he's worthless out there.
I'm with you Skydog, Fran's no defense approach to basketball is tiring. I love the offense but when our shooting is off, we're in trouble. He let's Patrick play way too much and Dix not enough. Dix plays better defense and is a better shot.

I think it is time for a change. Hell, Fran's youngest doesn't know if he wants to play at Iowa. I think the McCaffrey's are getting tired of Iowa and the fan base is tiring of Fran. Change might be good for both parties.

Not to say Sanfort lost the game for us but he seems to get lost covering his man on defense. Struggles to get around screens and late to cover. iowa was in the game until he lost his man in the corner for a 3. Then him and Perkins was deciding who to defend on the pass into Chuckie for a 3. Team was just befuddled on who was guarding who last night.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DewHawk
I'm with you Skydog, Fran's no defense approach to basketball is tiring. I love the offense but when our shooting is off, we're in trouble. He let's Patrick play way too much and Dix not enough. Dix plays better defense and is a better shot.

I think it is time for a change. Hell, Fran's youngest doesn't know if he wants to play at Iowa. I think the McCaffrey's are getting tired of Iowa and the fan base is tiring of Fran. Change might be good for both parties.
4th lowest point total given up this year out of 28 games.

Just the opposite, they needed to shoot better.

Patrick got 3 times more PT than Dix, Connor got 6 time more than Dix tonight (sometimes Connor earns it, not tonight though). I'd be so pissed if I was Dix. He should have taken the Purdue offer if I was him.
Dix should've gotten his minutes in 2nd half. Better defender and with Wisc. lineup he was a better with the matchups. I was screaming after couple of minutes for Fran to take him out and put Ulis or Dix back in for him. He played 18 min and had 0 rebounds. I know some will argue his frame and rebounding but look at Aaron White with similar build. I know it can be kind of corny and cliche but it's true rebounding is about attitude. I know Pmac is going through stuff but he looks like a shell of himself from earlier in the season and can tell not the same player like it or not. That's where Fran has to limit his minutes to smaller stretches on the floor and nights like last night has to have a quicker hook on him and pull him like he did in NW game at home this year when he left the bench briefly.

Every time I begrudgingly accept the free company tickets to the Hawkeye game here in Madison, I convince myself "It can't be worse than last time". Wrong. We got ZERO fast break points. When we play a team like Wisconsin (that isn't very good this year) that plays tough defense, there is some point in the game that we just mentally fold and then can't catch up because we run a very poor half court offense, and of course our defense is legendarily pathetic. Frans record in close games by whatever metric you use is embarrassing. He is a very below average bench coach that can't win during an off shooting night.

At one time tonight, Connor was actually arguing with Kris about something while on the court. This team is mentally weak when challenged and it is direct insight into how they are coached.
I thought I saw that two times.

Kris was facing away from the camera so it just looked like Connor was chewing him out. Not a good look for a guy delivering the game CM was, even if it was Kris' worst game of year. Kris and Fil are the only reasons this team has a shot at the NCAA tourney. STFU Daddy's boy
I saw Kris just stand there and let a Badger take a rebound. Conner was 100% correct in chewing on him.

When your leading minutes guy is Connor at 36 you're kind of screwed. That is ridiculous. I do appreciate his 8 boards but the McCaffery boys combined for 54 minutes. 2 points, 8 boards, 2 assists. 3 turnovers and a whole lot of shit defense.

Again, 54 minutes. The nepotism in Iowa sports is just overwhelming right now and has been for 6 years
Who led the team in rebounds last night?

Just tired of Connors bitching -good riddancr
Hate to say it most of our team is. But connor is the worst. Both McCaffery boys are. Rebraca complains his fair share and Perkins gets frustrated easily and then forces stuff. Kris by far complains the least and I'd say maybe Sandfort and Dix after him do it the less. But we are a whiny team especially when things aren't going our way.

Kris needs to stay put 1 more year. That all.
Kris just disappears much of the time and doesn't look for his shot. Definitely needs to be more assertive. This team needs him to lead like Keegan did but if that is not what he is than I don't see him as an NBA player. As for the nepotism it needs to be addressed by the AD, the Board of Regents and the President. It reeks at Iowa and needs to change.

Patrick got 3 times more PT than Dix, Connor got 6 times more than Dix tonight (sometimes Connor earns it, not tonight though). I'd be so pissed if I was Dix. He should have taken the Purdue offer if I was him.
I must have missed the stat that Connor led the team in rebounding last night?

Reactions: skydog0784
I must have missed the stat that Connor led the team in rebounding last night?
He also led the team in TOs and poured in 2 points on 1-6 shooting. I do appreciate what he brought to the table on the boards last night though. As I appreciate Filip's rebounding stat that was equally impressive on a per minute basis.

I saw Kris just stand there and let a Badger take a rebound. Conner was 100% correct in chewing on him.
Connor gets torched on the boards and defense all the time for lack of effort. I watched at least 4 times when a shot went up and he did nothing. One guy averages 8 boards a game, the other less than 4. Daddy's boy can STFU til he gets his own shit in order

I can’t blame Fran at all on this one. It’s not his fault that these 22 and 23 year olds can’t get themselves ready to beat a team like Wisconsin in front of a weak crowd. This team is loaded with a bunch of softies.
Yeah, it kind of is his fault if they aren’t ready. Not sure if sarcasm..

Discontented players vote with their feet, they don't go out in public and criticize the coach/teammates. JoeT left last year. Seems likely Bowen is gone. It is true that Dix has outplayed him...but the last two game the 5 starters and the two bench guys Sandfort and PMAC that have played like garbage and Fran hasn't found even a minute for Bowen. Good way to get a guy into the portal.

Add Patrick's laziness to that. I listen to Hawktalk with fran and is always quick to plug his kids and never says anything negative about them.

Discontented players vote with their feet, they don't go out in public and criticize the coach/teammates. JoeT left last year. Seems likely Bowen is gone. It is true that Dix has outplayed him...but the last two game the 5 starters and the two bench guys Sandfort and PMAC that have played like garbage and Fran hasn't found even a minute for Bowen. Good way to get a guy into the portal.
Agreed. I think the off-season will be a busy place with player exits. Players are not oblivious to the nepotism on the Iowa team, and it undermines team chemistry. Other players become disconnected like last night. FM has lost this team. JMO

Last 2 games Connor has played 69 minutes and tallied a grand total of 4 points. 0-8 from 3 and most of those were bad misses on open shots. Was able to pass it to some guys who can actually put it in the hoop though.

Invaluable
Maybe McCaffery switched to the Ferentz offense?;)

• Haha
Reactions: blhawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT