ADVERTISEMENT

The Weber charcoal Grill

Lid hinge sounds like a good idea to the novice but it actually restricts the kettle's versatility and is an issue and unwanted feature.

First of all, anybody grilled in wind? I have, had the lid hanging on the side of the grill and watched a gust grab it and send it airborne. Always take the lid off and set it down on a specific place nearby. I can just see a gust of wind catching that lid on a hinge and sending the entire hot grill tipping over.

Secondly, when you are vortexing wings one of the things you do is rotate the hood vent a quarter turn every 10-15 minutes so the vent hot spot isn't on one particular spot. How do you rotate a hinged lid?

Third. Being able to rotate the lid gives you versatility to bank coals and two zone on any side of the grill. Why is this important? Wind direction. I can have my kettle sitting in the same position but set it up by rotating the lid and the grate to two zone in any direction so the wind is consistently blowing across the vent in the same direction no matter what direction it comes out of that day. Now, do I personally do that? No. But I could, and some do. Versatility and consistency.

Heat diffuser sounds like a good idea but, like pointed out earlier you can accomplish the same thing using a pizza pan and creating a fire ring with some steel grate, or the Weber baskets, or even some bricks. Even doing that, I don't like how that diffuser is going to create radiant heat directly below your food and the difficulty of adding additional coals to the basket underneath that plate.

Those features look great at first but they are unnecessary and create more problems than they solve.

To expand on that, the Smoky Joe is only 14". The Jumbo Joe is 22 inches.

That said, Vortex makes different sizes if you have a smaller kettle-style grill.
Jumbo Joe is 18". I have both the 14" Smokey Joe Gold with the side vents and the 18" Jumbo Joe that is bottom vented. Prefer the Smokey Joe Gold (Premium).

Sorry to hijack a great thread but if anyone is looking to pick up a Pit Barrel Cooker or accessories I have a $300 gift card I am willing to sell for a discount. I decided to go with the Bronco last year instead. Message me if interested.

Lid hinge sounds like a good idea to the novice but it actually restricts the kettle's versatility and is an issue and unwanted feature.

First of all, anybody grilled in wind? I have, had the lid hanging on the side of the grill and watched a gust grab it and send it airborne. Always take the lid off and set it down on a specific place nearby. I can just see a gust of wind catching that lid on a hinge and sending the entire hot grill tipping over.

Secondly, when you are vortexing wings one of the things you do is rotate the hood vent a quarter turn every 10-15 minutes so the vent hot spot isn't on one particular spot. How do you rotate a hinged lid?

Third. Being able to rotate the lid gives you versatility to bank coals and two zone on any side of the grill. Why is this important? Wind direction. I can have my kettle sitting in the same position but set it up by rotating the lid and the grate to two zone in any direction so the wind is consistently blowing across the vent in the same direction no matter what direction it comes out of that day. Now, do I personally do that? No. But I could, and some do. Versatility and consistency.

Even more great reasons why the hinged lid stinks. Hopefully its a short term innovation that fails miserably.

I belong to a few weber facebook groups, and I see a bunch of people with kettles already who are running out to by the new colors. I'm not going to lie, the colored ones are sweet. But not seeing anybody posting about running out and buying the one with the hinged lid.

The SNS insert gives you about 2/3rds of the grill indirect, and about 1/3 very hot. The Vortex about the same.
The big difference is the positioning, the vortex putting the direct in the middle and the indirect a ring around the outside, the SNS on one side. However, with the vortex in the center, all the indirect is equidistant to the heat, and the with the SNS some parts of the indirect are obviously further from the heat than others. I think the Vortex is cheaper.

It's a matter of preference. Personally, I prefer it to the side so my 2/3 indirect is all together, and can hold a larger piece of meat that way. And I have the grill against a rail so I can't walk around it, and don't like the idea of having to reach over the fire to work with stuff on the other side of the vortex.

Of course, you don't need either to do indirect, you can just pile coals without a basket, or use the enclosed charcoal baskets, that works fine. For me the SNS is worth it, it gets really hot over it, hotter than the regular charcoal baskets, and seems to keep the direct more defined/concentrated. And having a thicker gage holding the charcoal off the walls of the kettle, which can bubble the paint if you run hot enough. It's something that allows you to do something you can do anyway a little bit more effectively and conveniently, and very useful to me, but it's not like a rotisserie attachment or something that gives you a new capability.

As far as the grilling surface, I do like to grill a lot at a time, more than we would eat at one meal. I'm not going to lie that when all my kids were at home, sometimes I wish I had a little more space. But for the most part, two thirds of a 22" can handle a lot of food.

If I was concerned with whether it was going to be enough space when set up with 2-zone, I would go with a 26", rather than try to make do with deflecting the heat, it's not worth blocking yourself from the coals, or giving up a searing area. On the rare occasions where I want the whole grill, and am not worried about getting a strong sear, like maybe making fish, I just use like 2/3 of a chimney and spread it directly on the bottom. You get a medium hot fire across the whole grill, probably similar to I'd get with a full basket and a deflector.

I'd only think about deflector options when it comes to low and slow smoking, and then would probably make do with a pizza pan or pizza stone on bricks unless you find you are low and slowing pretty frequently.
Thanks for the great feedback! Making the decision more clear - weber 22" (probably master touch) plus a SNS insert and call it good. Eventually I may want to upgrade if I find myself really getting into the low and slow game but this should be a good set up for awhile.

Man, I happened to have to run to Costco to get some stuff on my lunch break. I know they have this Weber with the hinged grate out, so I took a little time to look at it more closely. I hate it even more.

First, the lid when opens overhangs at least 50% of the grill. Theoretically, that might be ok if you could position the grill with the hinge directly opposite where you stand, because the overhang isn't too disruptive if it overhangs directly opposite of you. BUT there is only one vent, by the hinge. So if you set up that way, your only choice if you're two zone smoking is to build the fire right by where you stand, to vent the smoke opposite the fire. You can't do the standard fire on the right/open the left vent (or vice versa), you have to do fire in the front, vent in the back. Which means if you want to move the food around or anything, you get to reach directly over the fire, which is always fun, and you've got the hottest part of the fire at your balls.

Now, they do have it designed so you can unhook the lid from the hinge to reposition it or to clean or whatever. But I tried that out, and aligning the hood in any other direction, it didn't rest cleanly. I could shove it down onto the kettle only with effort. Now, its possible that's a quality control issue and this one display kettle wasn't properly round like its supposed to be, but that is concerning to me. And there's no handle on top, so if you did want to reposition it while cooking, you need two hands to grab the side handles, and your wrists are right on the hot lid.

And of course, having the lid hinged prevents any of the accessories like pizza ovens or rotisseries or Santa Maria setups that require either coming between the kettle and lid, or require open air space above the grill.

That said, that charcoal ring/deflector plate piece included seemed like a solid piece of work. I still don't think it's that necessary and can be accomplished other ways or with other accessories, but it wasn't a cheap piece of crap.
Haha - great point regarding fire placement... it sounds like the hinge is a known issue and there is a work around (haven't looked into what that is) but for a premium price you'd expect these to but better thought out.

Weber seems to be at the incremental add ons to move the purchase price up, limited innovation, and not fully thinking through the use cases for the add ons that they do. Seems like they could be disrupted which is why I was initially intrigued by the SNS.

Reactions: Nole Lou
Thanks for the great feedback! Making the decision more clear - weber 22" (probably master touch) plus a SNS insert and call it good. Eventually I may want to upgrade if I find myself really getting into the low and slow game but this should be a good set up for awhile.
Before going SNS insert try banking the coals (I use two bricks to bank so I can really fill it up with coal) and using a couple of 8 inch square baking pans. Cheap at Walmart. Use the two zone method linked earlier to Meathead's page. Give it a try and if you don't like it buy the SNS insert.

Reactions: flyfishstout_CO
Haha - great point regarding fire placement... it sounds like the hinge is a known issue and there is a work around (haven't looked into what that is) but for a premium price you'd expect these to but better thought out.

Weber seems to be at the incremental add ons to move the purchase price up, limited innovation, and not fully thinking through the use cases for the add ons that they do. Seems like they could be disrupted which is why I was initially intrigued by the SNS.
You've been able to buy a hinge accessory for the Kettle or WSM for years. I don't see it as limited innovation. In fact, the base unit of the Weber kettle is like a blank canvas to add all sorts of accessories of your choosing. Some like them, some see them as unnecessary as has been pointed out here. That's what is great about the Kettle.

You've been able to buy a hinge accessory for the Kettle or WSM for years. I don't see it as limited innovation. In fact, the base unit of the Weber kettle is like a blank canvas to add all sorts of accessories of your choosing. Some like them, some see them as unnecessary as has been pointed out here. That's what is great about the Kettle.

I think the problem with the hinge is that it's an "innovation" that limits the versatility of the grill - what accessories will fit, where you want the vents to be, needing two hands to rotate the lid instead of one, etc.

I think that's what makes it bad. I was about to say that Weber should stick to pretty colors to get people to buy more grills, but that's not really fair. The One Touch ash system that they added in the 1990s is still today the single best ash removal design in all of grilling. I don't care for the cut out center on the grates and don't use any of the attachments for it, but I know others do (and it is better to remove it for the vortex), so that's probably a winner.

I think they just whiffed on this one.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
I think the problem with the hinge is that it's an "innovation" that limits the versatility of the grill - what accessories will fit, where you want the vents to be, needing two hands to rotate the lid instead of one, etc.

I think that's what makes it bad. I was about to say that Weber should stick to pretty colors to get people to buy more grills, but that's not really fair. The One Touch ash system that they added in the 1990s is still today the single best ash removal design in all of grilling. I don't care for the cut out center on the grates and don't use any of the attachments for it, but I know others do (and it is better to remove it for the vortex), so that's probably a winner.

I think they just whiffed on this one.
I don't understand the need for the 12" cut out either. Can't you just simply place whatever you want (and already own) directly on top of the grate instead of purchasing a special attachment like a pizza stone or griddle? I don't get it.

I don't understand the need for the 12" cut out either. Can't you just simply place whatever you want (and already own) directly on top of the grate instead of purchasing a special attachment like a pizza stone or griddle? I don't get it.

Yeah, I kind of hate it. My brush catches on it, and it makes for weird grill marks. I know it's to sell the attachments, seems like it's mostly a gimmick to sell more proprietary attachments.

But I think people that use the vortex like being able to remove the center because it gets so hot above it.

Clue:

Weber wants to sell special attachments to their extremely large customer base.

Yeah, I kind of hate it. My brush catches on it, and it makes for weird grill marks. I know it's to sell the attachments, seems like it's mostly a gimmick to sell more proprietary attachments.

But I think people that use the vortex like being able to remove the center because it gets so hot above it.
I get it, but still don't get it. Even with the vortex, can't they just leave it in and place the wings around it in a circle (like is done with it removed)?

Not sure why this bothers me so much, but it do.

I get it, but still don't get it. Even with the vortex, can't they just leave it in and place the wings around it in a circle (like is done with it removed)?

Not sure why this bothers me so much, but it do.

I think they say it gets so hot that it can actually damage the grate. I don't use the vortex, but I've seen people mention it.

I also hate it irrationally.

I think they say it gets so hot that it can actually damage the grate. I don't use the vortex, but I've seen people mention it.

I also hate it irrationally.

It doesn't damage the grate. I'll often put a chunk of peach wood ON the grate over the vortex in the "volcano" set up and let her rip for those vortex wings.

BTW, peach wood does something really special to chicken wings.

Last edited:
Picked up a weber master touch a week or two ago now. I've been liking the weber charcoal baskets as a way to manage temp zones and flare ups. It's been awhile since I've cooked on a charcoal grill but I'm liking how everything has turned out - brats, burgers, and pork loin so far.

Just ordered a SNS insert off of Amazon (AMZN automatically gave me a 10% coupon and it will be here Friday) and looking forward to potentially trying a low n slow type cook this weekend.

Going down the rabbit hole - does anyone have a grilling forum they like? I've found TVWBB and WKC so far...

So, I never really used facebook other than having a profile, but was told that the most active PK Grill community was a facebook group, so I joined. I've since joined Weber Kettle Fans and Weber Kettle Mods and Grilling as well.

Honestly, I spend more time on those than any forums any more. The two you mention are good, but the Facebook groups are generally more positive, and more active, than a lot of forums. Lots of pictures, you can see how people set things up and what they make.

I find the Facebook groups to be general enthusiasts, but not nearly as relentlessly didactic as so many forums are. A lot less snobby "there is only one way to do it" type responses to anything. I get tired of reading where somebody accidentally got one Weber briquette mixed in with their $400 per bag of Filipino Endangered Hardwood Lump, and they could taste the binders immediately and threw away a $1900 wagyu brisket because it was simply inedible and not even fit for their dogs to eat.

Obviously, the forums aren't ONLY that, but there is a lot of that, and it ends up spoiling a lot of advice threads, and before you know it what would seem like a fairly straightforward question is anything but.

The Facebook groups I'm in are way more laid back, less fighting, and more of a "live and let live" attitude. There's still good advice there, and seeing people's setups is fun. The only thing that's hard to put up with is people posting pictures of terrible steaks they made and being like

"Best steak ever, did it again! Thanks Weber!"
d09pyeoy9c481.jpg

Picked up a weber master touch a week or two ago now. I've been liking the weber charcoal baskets as a way to manage temp zones and flare ups. It's been awhile since I've cooked on a charcoal grill but I'm liking how everything has turned out - brats, burgers, and pork loin so far.

Just ordered a SNS insert off of Amazon (AMZN automatically gave me a 10% coupon and it will be here Friday) and looking forward to potentially trying a low n slow type cook this weekend.

Going down the rabbit hole - does anyone have a grilling forum they like? I've found TVWBB and WKC so far...
TVWBB has been my go to for 15 years.

I'm making leg of lamb Greek style with my weber rotisserie attachment. I had purchased this grill on a whim from Walmart and am amazed how flexible it is.

Reactions: Nole Lou
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT