ADVERTISEMENT

They all figured out their roles

goodbyebobby

HR Legend
Mar 27, 2002
Bohannon needs the ball in his hands to be effective and everything has strangely fallen in to place.

Perkins is like a fullback for JBo and credit to Fran for playing everything around JBo. He substituted really well tonight and the team energy level was 💰💰💰

I was totally wrong about Bohannon, why did this take so long?, and see us being sweet 16 potential now. Our bigs can play with anyones if Patrick keeps it up, and Keegan is as good with his left as most righties with their right, amazing.

Seems like the twins old man had a deceptive left, or may have been a southpaw who shot right handed?

Nebby will be a perfect game to really get them ready for the stretch run.

Last edited:
It was fun but it was one game against a bad team with an even more atrocious defense than we are used to. This isn’t to take away from JBos or any other individual performances but let’s pump the brakes.
Iowa needed a road win in the worst way. Maryland is bad overall, but did beat Illinois and played MSU to the wire. There is some talent. They will probably beat somebody else good this year at home. Iowa avoided it being them.

Game was big in that barring the worst collapse ever, Iowa will be above .500 in conference play after beating Nebraska in Iowa City. Then it's 7-6 and see if Iowa can get to 10-10 or better and get in the tournament. Get to 7-6 with games against Michigan and MSU coming up at home, with chance to make a legit run at top 5 in league or just fighting to get in tourney.

Aside from Bohannon and the 3-point shooting by everyone, I like how Murray is being very assertive at driving the ball. If teams are going to try and be physical, he is going to just go at them, draw fouls, get some good shots. He'll dominate Nebraska, then faces huge tests with MSU and Michigan.

This game means nothing other than hopefully Bohannon has found his shot.
He found his shot because he's the point guard again. Seems to me like he's needed the ball in his hands his whole career as he doesn't get any attention without it.
Probably been like this his whole life since he is a kid with older siblings.

Have a nice day.
S. Freud

This game means nothing other than hopefully Bohannon has found his shot.

I get this feeling you would not be saying that this game meant nothing if Iowa had lost. At this point of the season, every game means something as it either adds to the tournament resume or damages it. Maryland did not play well tonight, but part of that was Iowa's offense keeping Maryland on their heels.

He found his shot because he's the point guard again. Seems to me like he's needed the ball in his hands his whole career as he doesn't get any attention without it.

Have a nice day.
S. Freud
Yeah, pretty much. He is much better overall when the ball is in his hands. Trying to get him open running off screens and away from the ball doesn't really work. Last night it worked all the time, both when he had the ball in his hands and if Toussaint/Ulis were in the game and he was still getting open. Iowa needed the road win, glad he brought his shooting shoes.

Reactions: Hawkeyegrad2006
Bohannon back at the 1, we will see but recent history says we will run into good teams, particularly in the NCAA, and they will run us out of the arena….

He’s just not the same player athletically he was 4 years ago.
We are much more athletic than last year, not even close.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Maryland's defense made Iowa's look great, and Iowa gave up 87.

Congrats to the team for getting back to .500 in the conference.

I admit I thought that JBo would struggle mightily vs ultra quick Fats last nite.
Ulis and JBo did struggle to check Fats but JBo offset it with his shooting display.
We needed someone to have this kind of game to get a road win.
Hope you are right about settling into roles.
Fran gushed about JoeTs play last nite in his postgame presser.
Joe T has to make the sacrifice for the team.

The last 12 minutes of that game was sloppy, and our D was ok for stretches. Stretches, but the effort was seemingly better, and yes it was Maryland.

Reactions: perryhawk
Thoughts

I don’t recall a game where the twins have both been aggressive and playing at high levels. They tend to defer to each other if one gets hot.

Nebraska has played a lot of teams close and may not be the push over many think they will.

Iowa is likely to win games where we don’t face a dominant big. Teams that have good big cause fits for our D and the front court and especially the guards struggle to finish.

We need to win turnovers by as much as we lose the rebound battle.

We live and die by the three.

Having Keegan will be a plus if we seem pretty equal as the committee decides on who is in.

Great game, great win. Has to feel awesome for the team to take apart a B1G team like that on their home court.

But, I feel like it's an anomaly, not an epiphany. Shoot 60%, including 55% from 3 and this is what happens.

Hard to believe that they shot well under 40% in most of their losses. Maybe JBo at the point is a difference maker, but we'll see.

Bohannon needs the ball in his hands to be effective and everything has strangely fallen in to place.

Perkins is like a fullback for JBo and credit to Fran for playing everything around JBo. He substituted really well tonight and the team energy level was 💰💰💰

I was totally wrong about Bohannon, why did this take so long?, and see us being sweet 16 potential now. Our bigs can play with anyones if Patrick keeps it up, and Keegan is as good with his left as most righties with their right, amazing.

Nebby will be a perfect game to really get them ready for the stretch run.
Cool the engines. One game means squat.

Cool the engines. One game means squat.
It is funny after bad losses the Franatics are all “one game isn’t a trend…” then after the game last night everyone is gushing about how the roles have been settled and suddenly everything is great.

We will see. I’m betting with history though, one of the upper tier teams is going to bring us back to earth quickly.

Have a nice day.
S. Freud
Hes definitely better shooting off the dribble, thats been know for a long time.

The biggest part is that he was wide open all game and its a building he likes to shoot in.

Hes not going to get many open looks against good terms. Never has.

Even if hes shooting well its still the same situation as its always been, can he make enough shots to outweigh being a poor defender.

It is funny after bad losses the Franatics are all “one game isn’t a trend…” then after the game last night everyone is gushing about how the roles have been settled and suddenly everything is great.

We will see. I’m betting with history though, one of the upper tier teams is going to bring us back to earth quickly.
We have the athleticism to compete with any teams in conference.

Hes definitely better shooting off the dribble, thats been know for a long time.

The biggest part is that he was wide open all game and its a building he likes to shoot in.

Hes not going to get allot of open looks against good terms. Never has.

Even if hes shooting well its still the same situation as its always been, can he make enough shots to outweigh being a poor defender.
He played as good defensively as he can last night, which wasn't bad but he does need help.

I was way down on him and this is the best chance they have to be successful, roll with it.

Perkins is key. He drives the ball to the middle. He gets out of control sometimes but mostly it is a good thing. JBO showing up late in the season is a testament to him and Fran.

He's had open looks against good teams, he just didn't capitalize outside of WIsky, Va, and ISU.

Do you not see how different he plays at the point?
He's not going to do that every night but he's clearly a different player running the show, and everyone followed suit.

That, or it was Fran's 😷.
I'd be willing to bet there was an assist on most of his makes. Joe drove several times and dished to a wide open JBO. Difference: he made them this game. I'd love someone to point out the threes that jbo made that were a result of playing pg.

When Iowa is launching an open shot early in the shot clock each time down the court, the other team will get a lot of shots leading to a higher score. Iowa and Maryland had the same number of shots and Iowa won by 23.

I'd be willing to bet there was an assist on most of his makes. Joe drove several times and dished to a wide open JBO. Difference: he made them this game. I'd love someone to point out the threes that jbo made that were a result of playing pg.
First three of the game? You're right but the fact he knows he has PG duties has changed his mindset 180 degrees

1st 3 - Perkins picks up his dribble 25 feet from the basket, turns and hands it off to Jbo, he takes a dribble and nails a 25 foot 3.
2nd - Jbo dribbles around 3 or 4 times, and chucks up a 25 foot 3 over MD center.
3rd - Jbo comes off screen, Jto is standing 25 feet form the basket and passes it towards MD bench and Jbo hits long 3.
4th - Pmac picks up his dribble at FT line, has nowhere to go, Jbo makes great slide to corner as Fats is an idiot and doubles Pmac and Pmac hits Jbo who nails the corner 3.
5th - Joe drives from side to FT line where MD players just stand still, he hits Jbo towards MD bench for a long 3.
6th - Jbo makes baseline cut as Joe has ball at top of key, hits Jbo who is wide open in the corner for a 3.
7th - PMC drives the court to the FT line, loses the dribble and hit a wide open Jbo on the left for a long 3.
8th - Keegan passes to Jbo wide open at the top of the key while standing on the 3 point line
9th - Jbo dribbles to his left, far out from the point line, MD defender takes a step back and he drills a long 3
10th - Jbo dribbles around the top of the key, MD defender goes for strip, Jbo spins, turns and drills a long 3.

There was literally one instance all game where Joe driving opened up Jbo for a 3.
There were 4 instances where Jbo having the ball as the PG and taking the shot directly resulted in a 3.

In the postgame Job indicated that having the ball in his hands more helps get him get into a shooting rythmn.
It would help explain his horrible shooting for much of the season.
After last nite his 3 point % is back to a respectable 35% for the year.

In the postgame Job indicated that having the ball in his hands more helps get him get into a shooting rythmn.
It would help explain his horrible shooting for much of the season.
After last nite his 3 point % is back to a respectable 35% for the year.
And having Perkins in there helps the perimeter defense, alot.

He is going to be a big piece the rest of his career in IC

Reactions: Mohawkeye

did you actually watch the game? Jordan’s defense on Fats in the second half was better than our other guards. you also need to look at some of Jordan’s threes with defenders on him….they were not all open looks but whatever fits your naritive.

1st 3 - Perkins picks up his dribble 25 feet from the basket, turns and hands it off to Jbo, he takes a dribble and nails a 25 foot 3.
2nd - Jbo dribbles around 3 or 4 times, and chucks up a 25 foot 3 over MD center.
3rd - Jbo comes off screen, Jto is standing 25 feet form the basket and passes it towards MD bench and Jbo hits long 3.
4th - Pmac picks up his dribble at FT line, has nowhere to go, Jbo makes great slide to corner as Fats is an idiot and doubles Pmac and Pmac hits Jbo who nails the corner 3.
5th - Joe drives from side to FT line where MD players just stand still, he hits Jbo towards MD bench for a long 3.
6th - Jbo makes baseline cut as Joe has ball at top of key, hits Jbo who is wide open in the corner for a 3.
7th - PMC drives the court to the FT line, loses the dribble and hit a wide open Jbo on the left for a long 3.
8th - Keegan passes to Jbo wide open at the top of the key while standing on the 3 point line
9th - Jbo dribbles to his left, far out from the point line, MD defender takes a step back and he drills a long 3
10th - Jbo dribbles around the top of the key, MD defender goes for strip, Jbo spins, turns and drills a long 3.

There was literally one instance all game where Joe driving opened up Jbo for a 3.
There were 4 instances where Jbo having the ball as the PG and taking the shot directly resulted in a 3.
Damn facts will shut up the ignorant. Right Bulldog?
Haters will always hate. JBo shut up the naysayers last night! It’s crickets around here. You haters do realize that JBo is Iowa’s all time assist leader.
Im glad Fran finally figured out that JBo has to be at the PG position.
i pointed this out several weeks ago that playing JBo at 2 guard was not getting it done,
I will give credit to Fran where it’s due, I will also criticize when it’s justified. Bottom line if we started with this lineup we would be at 9-3 instead of 6-6. we have 8 games to go and we just put up a 110 at Maryland, you can say there trash, but that team beat Illinois by 15 and played MSU to a 2 pt loss at home.

Reactions: BBptg5
Damn facts will shut up the ignorant. Right Bulldog?
Haters will always hate. JBo shut up the naysayers last night! It’s crickets around here. You haters do realize that JBo is Iowa’s all time assist leader.
Im glad Fran finally figured out that JBo has to be at the PG position.
i pointed this out several weeks ago that playing JBo at 2 guard was not getting it done,
I will give credit to Fran where it’s due, I will also criticize when it’s justified. Bottom line if we started with this lineup we would be at 9-3 instead of 6-6. we have 8 games to go and we just put up a 110 at Maryland, you can say there trash, but that team beat Illinois by 15 and played MSU to a 2 pt loss at home.
So a majority were assisted, like I said and a couple from joe. Not really far off from what I said.
On the rest of his made threes, what was it really about the pg position that made those possible? He can't handle the ball at the 2? Let's be honest unless Jbo hits between 38-43% from three for the rest of the year this game is nothing more than terrible defense by maryland.
As far as having it figured out....You can pat fran on the back if Jbo AND the team have continued success.

When Iowa is launching an open shot early in the shot clock each time down the court, the other team will get a lot of shots leading to a higher score. Iowa and Maryland had the same number of shots and Iowa won by 23.
So you think Iowa plays good D?

I’d actually say this board gets more action after these “see, everything’s fine!” wins than it does after the inexplicable losses like PSU. That might be an indication of where the minority viewpoint resides now.

I’d actually say this board gets more action after these “see, everything’s fine!” wins than it does after the inexplicable losses like PSU. That might be an indication of where the minority viewpoint resides now.
I don't think that loss happens with responsibilities changed up as they are now.
But we lost so it's time to get one, or two, we aren't expected to win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT