ADVERTISEMENT

They all figured out their roles

I think Patrick's D is getting better. He's always moved his feet pretty well, but seems he's using his length much better. It's good to see, because he will get a ton of deflections if he keeps it up

Reactions: unoHawkeye
I think Patrick's D is getting better. He's always moved his feet pretty well, but seems he's using his length much better. It's good to see, because he will get a ton of deflections if he keeps it up
Yes, and he needs to keep taking advantage of that height as he should have had a dunk when he missed a bunny then first FT.

He has markedly improved the last few games and both he and the twins are matchup problems for teams.

Bohannon needs the ball in his hands to be effective and everything has strangely fallen in to place.

Perkins is like a fullback for JBo and credit to Fran for playing everything around JBo. He substituted really well tonight and the team energy level was 💰💰💰

I was totally wrong about Bohannon, why did this take so long?, and see us being sweet 16 potential now. Our bigs can play with anyones if Patrick keeps it up, and Keegan is as good with his left as most righties with their right, amazing.

Seems like the twins old man had a deceptive left, or may have been a southpaw who shot right handed?

Nebby will be a perfect game to really get them ready for the stretch run.
Yes Bohannon got hot in an arena he has traditionally excelled against the worst power 5 defense i have seen in recent memory. I am waiting on a few more big games, before I draw any conclusions. That said, last night was great to watch as a Hawkeye & brutal is not a strong enough word if you are a Terp supporter.

Yes Bohannon got hot in an arena he has traditionally excelled against the worst power 5 defense i have seen in recent memory. I am waiting on a few more big games, before I draw any conclusions. That said, last night was great to watch as a Hawkeye & brutal is not a strong enough word if you are a Terp supporter.
I love it when the haters make these absolute statements that are easily proven to be incorrect. The Terps beat Florida, Lost to the Badgers by one, won at Northwestern, beat Illinois, won at Rutgers, and lost to MSU by two. I'm going to assume your "recent memory" must extend all the way to last night.

So a majority were assisted, like I said and a couple from joe. Not really far off from what I said.
On the rest of his made threes, what was it really about the pg position that made those possible? He can't handle the ball at the 2? Let's be honest unless Jbo hits between 38-43% from three for the rest of the year this game is nothing more than terrible defense by maryland.
As far as having it figured out....You can pat fran on the back if Jbo AND the team have continued success.
This is what you said "Joe drove several times and dished to a wide open JBO. Difference: he made them this game. I'd love someone to point out the threes that jbo made that were a result of playing pg."

I just showed you that ONE time out of 10 threes, Joe's penetration opened it up for Jbo. I also pointed out the FOUR instances where Jbo dribbling the ball up as PG, you are wrong as usual.

So you think Iowa plays good D?

What I said was the opponent's score is not always how you judge the quality of defense played. When a team is in a fast-paced game where they are shooting early in the shot clock, the opponent's score will be higher because the opponent is getting more possessions. You can see that Iowa is 215th in scoring defense when measuring points per game, but 131 in points per defensive possession. So defensive efficiency is better than about 65% of the Di teams. Six Big Ten teams are in the top 100 in this category. Five are lower than Iowa, including Purdue.

Of course, you would like to be good in both offense and defense efficiency.

What I said was the opponent's score is not always how you judge the quality of defense played. When a team is in a fast-paced game where they are shooting early in the shot clock, the opponent's score will be higher because the opponent is getting more possessions. You can see that Iowa is 215th in scoring defense when measuring points per game, but 131 in points per defensive possession. So defensive efficiency is better than about 65% of the Di teams. Six Big Ten teams are in the top 100 in this category. Five are lower than Iowa, including Purdue.

Of course, you would like to be good in both offense and defense efficiency.
Yes, but that would involve consistent effort on the defensive end, so not likely to happen anytime soon.

Maryland's defense made Iowa's look great, and Iowa gave up 87.

Congrats to the team for getting back to .500 in the conference.

64 points with 6:00 minutes left and they were down 37 points.

Maryland scored over 25% of their total points in the final six minutes after a pick up game broke out and the bench was emptied.

Last edited:
As long as you’ve got something to bitch about after a blow out road win. Good job!!!

Iowa’s defense sucks
Maryland’s defense sucks

And a nice little backhanded compliment about being .500 in conference. With “fans” like you, who needs Cyclones?
I'm just ready for a coach who appreciates and teaches hard work (defense and rebounding).

Pretty obvious that isn't a priority for Fran.

I'm just ready for a coach who appreciates and teaches hard work (defense and rebounding).

Head over to Ames. They defend really well. Sure they can’t shoot, and are currently in last place in the Big 12, but at least they play D. We won’t miss you, I promise.

Reactions: iahawks10

I believe Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Illinois all have openings. Just saying, if you’re looking. Fran isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.

No, I'll just continue to hope for better things for the program and a better chance at making it to the second weekend of the tourney.

Not gonna happen until we get a new coach.

He's had open looks against good teams, he just didn't capitalize outside of WIsky, Va, and ISU.
Some. But not many.

I wouldn't say he got many good looks or capitalized much against isu or Wisky when it mattered or really anyone else for that matter.

He can't consistently get open whether playing pg or off guard against physical good defensive teams like Purdue, Illinois, Msu ect so hitting the good shots he does come by is crucial.

Honestly last night was probably the most good looks hes ever had in a game.

Do you not see how different he plays at the point?
He's not going to do that every night but he's clearly a different player running the show, and everyone followed suit.

That, or it was Fran's 😷.
Playing the point wasn't what got him wide open. A lot of his first half shots were off of passes, not off the dribble.

He played the point a similar amount of time against Minnesota.

Being left wide open all game will get most shooters in a good rhythm. Maryland has nothing to play for and it showed on defense.

No one else is going to leave him open like that except maybe Nebraska.

Last edited:
I love it when the haters make these absolute statements that are easily proven to be incorrect. The Terps beat Florida, Lost to the Badgers by one, won at Northwestern, beat Illinois, won at Rutgers, and lost to MSU by two. I'm going to assume your "recent memory" must extend all the way to last night.
I love it when people try to support an opinion with a single prior game ….. they didn’t seem to be engaged at all in this game defensively in this game, the fact that they beat Florida in a different game is great and irrelevant ….. their defensive effort was pathetic that night. Please tell me that you believe that defense was anything other than very very sad that night.

Is that me taking anything away from jBo, nah, simply reply to someone saying we cured cancer by moving him to the point and stating that it’s a
Hater? LMAO…..the fact they beat Florida 2 mos ago is proof of squat….. let’s forget they have lost 9 of the last twelve….Beating Fla has zero to do with their absolutely pathetic defensive effort that night. If iowa would have played D like that I would call out our coaches for mailing it in and would be questioning if the coaches lost this team. That team mailed in their D, am I trying to take anything away from Jbo? Nope record setting night, great job, I may never see a better shooting night in my lifetime …. do I hope this is a sweet run for the rest of the year, absolutely. Do I think this is proof that Fran is wrong on moving Jordan to the 2? Nope it’s one game let’s wait a bit before saying we have solved all of our issues against a team that made almost no effort on the defensive side.

I said a month ago 21 wins was my hope in regular season, it still is……..Go Hawks!!

Playing the point wasn't what got him wide open. A lot of his first half shots were off of passes, not off the dribble.

He played the point a similar amount of time against Minnesota.

Being left wide open all game will get most shooters in a good rhythm. Maryland has nothing to play for and it showed on defense.

No one else is going to leave him open like that except maybe Nebraska.
There's a whole reply on this thread showing each shot and how he got it.

Nebraska is a perfect warmup before it gets tough. We aren't going to shoot 60% but if you can't see how different we are with him at the point, AND Perkins starting, you should watch.
It's entertaining.

Reactions: BBptg5
There's a whole reply on this thread showing each shot and how he got it.

Nebraska is a perfect warmup before it gets tough. We aren't going to shoot 60% but if you can't see how different we are with him at the point, AND Perkins starting, you should watch.
It's entertaining.
Like Minnesota?

Its just dishonest to ignore the fact that Maryland was leaving him wide open. Robbie Hummel was harping on it all game.

You're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

I agree playing the point is better for Bohannon.

Im skeptical its better for the team in the long run and I have 5 years of evidence as to why.

Reactions: littlez
Like Minnesota?

Its just dishonest to ignore the fact that Maryland was leaving him wide open. Robbie Hummel was harping on it all game.

You're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

I agree playing the point is better for Bohannon.

Im skeptical its better for the team in the long run and I have 5 years of evidence as to why.
Hummel was also saying how Jordan had enabled better spacing. opening up the inside, and about him setting up other player options. You really need to realize the difference between honest critique and just hating a player. Did you happen to notice the D on Fats at the beginning of the second half? Probably not or you will have a reason why it really didn’t matter.

Hummel was also saying how Jordan had enabled better spacing. opening up the inside, and about him setting up other player options. You really need to realize the difference between honest critique and just hating a player. Did you happen to notice the D on Fats at the beginning of the second half? Probably not or you will have a reason why it really didn’t matter.
Our “fans” are doing their best invalidate Jordan’s performance. It’s really bizarre. It’s a lot of yeah but it was Maryland or yeah but it was one game. It’s like they can’t acknowledge what happened unless some type of negative aspect is brought into the fold.

Has Jordan had a good year? Hell no. He’d probably be the first to acknowledge that it’s been a struggle. But maybe, as another poster mentioned, the thought that he’s playing in his final few games has triggered something positive. We shall see. The Hawks need “good” Jordan down the stretch if they want to have any tournament success.

I see everything sweetheart.

He had a great game. Played good D (although he was daring Fats to shoot, which is smart) and made some really good entry passes.

I also saw Maryland playing defense like they knew their season was over and had never watched film of Iowa.

You need to realize the specific context of a specific conversation. IE Iowas offensive excellence in that game being due to jbo moving to pg vs Maryland simply playing terrible defense.

Keegan scored 30 on 17 shots.

Well see if this is a formula for improving the odds against good teams.

Like I said, I have my doubts based on years of previous evidence.

I hope im wrong.

Last edited:
I see everything sweetheart.

He had a great game. Played good D (although he was daring Fats to shoot, which is smart) and made some really good entry passes.

I also saw Maryland playing defense like they knew their season was over and had never watched film of Iowa.

You need to realize the specific context of a specific conversation. IE Iowas offensive excellence in that game being due to jbo moving to pg vs Maryland simply playing terrible defense.

Keegan scored 30 on 17 shots.

Well see if this is a formula for improving the odds against good teams.

Like I said, I have my doubts based on years of previous evidence.

I hope im wrong.
That formula is better than anything we've seen so far this season which is why Nebby is a great final tune-up.
And I think Keegan had 30 on 12/14 shooting.

That formula is better than anything we've seen so far this season which is why Nebby is a great final tune-up.
And I think Keegan had 30 on 12/14 shooting.
Offensively...probably. But thats because Fran won't play his second best player (on both ends) appropriate minutes.

We shall see in the 3 games following Nebraska if the recent change is an overall improvement or just more of the same.

Reactions: littlez
It is funny after bad losses the Franatics are all “one game isn’t a trend…” then after the game last night everyone is gushing about how the roles have been settled and suddenly everything is great.

We will see. I’m betting with history though, one of the upper tier teams is going to bring us back to earth quickly.
It's basketball. Unless you are a great team, your mileage may vary from game to game. Michigan boat-races Purdue, then loses to OSU by 11. That is Michigan in a nutshell: talented team who when playing well is tough to beat. But they don't always play well.

Iowa is potentially good when Keeg. Murray isn't in foul trouble and the team is trying to play defense. Can be in the game with most anyone or lose to most anyone. Like most of the league.

Nebraska was able to limit jbo to only a few good looks today which has been the norm for most teams for years. And he missed his best looks.

The offense does have better spacing with him at the pg but the defense and transition are better with JT.

Most of Nebraskas good looks in the first half came from attacking jbo off the dribble and Joe's D/transition was a big reason hawks blew it open in the first.

JTs lack of ability to hit a jumper was disappointing but he was pretty good at drive and kick today.

They're both flawed players so in my opinion they should probably be splitting time about equally which is closer to what happened today.

What can't happen is playing one over the other the majority of the game regardless of performance.

If you're going to trust Jbo to get hot trust Joe to get stops, create turnovers and transition baskets.

Last edited:
Reactions: no_one_ and littlez
Nebraska was able to limit jbo to only a few good looks today which has been the norm for most teams for years. And he missed his best looks.

The offense does have better spacing with him at the pg but the defense and transition are better with JT.

Most of Nebraskas good looks in the first half came from attacking jbo off the dribble and Joe's D/transition was a big reason hawks blew it open in the first.

JTs lack of ability to hit a jumper was disappointing but he was pretty good at drive and kick today.

They're both flawed players so in my opinion they should probably be splitting time about equally which is closer to what happened today.

What can't happen is playing one over the other the majority of the game regardless of performance.

If you're going to trust Jbo to get hot trust Joe to get stops, create turnovers and transition baskets.
This.

Reactions: goodbyebobby
Our “fans” are doing their best invalidate Jordan’s performance. It’s really bizarre. It’s a lot of yeah but it was Maryland or yeah but it was one game. It’s like they can’t acknowledge what happened unless some type of negative aspect is brought into the fold.

Has Jordan had a good year? Hell no. He’d probably be the first to acknowledge that it’s been a struggle. But maybe, as another poster mentioned, the thought that he’s playing in his final few games has triggered something positive. We shall see. The Hawks need “good” Jordan down the stretch if they want to have any tournament success.

Have said before on the football board, it really seems like some fans aren’t happy unless we lose.

This team is a bit ahead of where I thought they’d be this year after all we lost after last year. I lean towards giving Jordan more minutes over Joe because he offers us more offensively.

Reactions: BBptg5
Another good win. This team is finding who they are and are gelling. Im loving it. Go get Michigan.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
Yes, or trust Sandfort, Joe and everyone else.
Sandfort made nice plays today versus just launching shots and he brings a whole different dynamic when he dribbles.

Joe had a decent looking stroke earlier this season, he was doing some weird stuff with his legs today and it wasn't pretty.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT