ADVERTISEMENT

Things that have changed but you don't know why

Hoosierhawkeye

HR King
Sep 16, 2008
Share something you saw changed but can't explain it and/or try to explain to someone else why the thing they brought up changed.

Was thinking about this the other day when I went to pick up pizza hut at carry out.

I remember when I was younger and even as a young adult Pizza Hut would be an place that people would actually eat out at. I remember actually dining in the pizza hut I was at like 16 to 18 years ago. Now no one eats in at Pizza hut. That location has tons of chairs in the dining room and no one is ever there eating in. Only time I see those chairs being used is for employees taking a break. I sort of wondered why that changed. . . and I remember people still doing it even after internet delivery became a thing.

Another thing I wondered about is why "Geek culture" has become mainstream. Like in the '90's and early 2000's geek culture was pretty niche to . . . geeks. In fact I will say as someone who was a bit of a geek/nerd in high school I often felt more normal than other geeks/nerds because I wasn't into comic books. Now geek culture has become so mainstream that totally normal people will talk about their preference for either Marvel or DC comics. The Avengers movies made bank and are still making bank. Also comic con is like a huge thing now. What happened?

I didn't know Pizza Hut still had dine-in locations; all of the Huts near me have gone to strictly pick-up/delivery. Most moved out of the red-roofed buildings & have just a storefront in a strip mall.

Reactions: Moral
For some reason this is necessary

RDT-20230803-1448571822022276513685694.png

I didn't know Pizza Hut still had dine-in locations; all of the Huts near me have gone to strictly pick-up/delivery. Most moved out of the red-roofed buildings & have just a storefront in a strip mall.
I occasionally see Pizza Hut Express inside Target stores, but I haven't been inside a stand alone PIzza Hut in years. There used to be one about 5 miles from my house but I'm pretty sure it closed down, although I can't remember if it closed before COVID or during.

I think any new locations that go up are strictly carryout/delivery but there are some old locations that still have dine in space.

To be fair maybe Pizza hut figured it was cheaper to just run carryout/delivery places, built new ones like that and closed down some of the old ones. In my old hometown the old dine in place got closed for a carryout/delivery location a long time ago. And to be honest I am not going to try this but I sort of wonder how the employees would react if I went into that pizza hut with dine in space and requested to dine in. . . I am guessing they would give me the pizza in a box and sell me a 2 liter say well I guess if you want to eat at our tables it's ok. But I doubt any one would bring me a pizza and drinks like they did before.

Share something you saw changed but can't explain it and/or try to explain to someone else why the thing they brought up changed.

Was thinking about this the other day when I went to pick up pizza hut at carry out.

I remember when I was younger and even as a young adult Pizza Hut would be an place that people would actually eat out at. I remember actually dining in the pizza hut I was at like 16 to 18 years ago. Now no one eats in at Pizza hut. That location has tons of chairs in the dining room and no one is ever there eating in. Only time I see those chairs being used is for employees taking a break. I sort of wondered why that changed. . . and I remember people still doing it even after internet delivery became a thing.

Another thing I wondered about is why "Geek culture" has become mainstream. Like in the '90's and early 2000's geek culture was pretty niche to . . . geeks. In fact I will say as someone who was a bit of a geek/nerd in high school I often felt more normal than other geeks/nerds because I wasn't into comic books. Now geek culture has become so mainstream that totally normal people will talk about their preference for either Marvel or DC comics. The Avengers movies made bank and are still making bank. Also comic con is like a huge thing now. What happened?
Some of the old comics you or your dad had are worth some/alot of money...Alot that weren't worth a dime 25+years ago, are now worth 5 bucks to multiple thousands a piece...

People like to collect things from their childhoods and comics got "hot" for a few years with all the movies/TV shows. Comic cons became a place where people could look for comics from their youth and look for new stuff when they got back into collecting.

Some of the old comics you or your dad had are worth some/alot of money...Alot that weren't worth a dime 25+years ago, are now worth 5 bucks to multiple thousands a piece...

People like to collect things from their childhoods and comics got "hot" for a few years with all the movies/TV shows. Comic cons became a place where people could look for comics from their youth and look for new stuff when they got back into collecting.

Nah I don't have any as I said I was never really into comics, neither was my dad.

I liked some sci fi stuff, had a lot of special interests probably because I'm on the spectrum. Just found the idea of reading comics kind of silly and a little childish. The Marvel movies are ok. . . not great but they are entertaining.

The Pizza Hut all you can eat buffet was a staple when my Dad had us every other weekend....

Pizza Hut used to be a family restaurant. The salad and pasta bar, the sit down Galaga and Ms Pac Man, the juke box, the campy red cups of Pepsi products all made the experience. Eating out then was a special occassion, and families generally at that time cooked most of their meals at home. Now, not so much, and delivery has dominated since COVID. And the AYCE lunch buffet was the best deal in dining. There are still some sit-down Pizza Huts out there, but certainly not as many. I think it's still open in Mt. Pleasant, and I ate at the Dyersville Pizza Hut for lunch as recently as a couple years ago.

30 years ago, you could take a paper-wrapped straw, bang it on the table, and pop the straw through the paper. That's the only way you opened a straw. Now, 90% of the time, trying to do that crushes the straw. You have to pick the paper off to open a straw most of the time and it sucks.

Back in the day Pizza Hut was my favorite but based on the last PH pizza I had (and I do mean the LAST), never again.

I had it delivered because I was drunk and didn't want to cook or go out but even drunk it tasted awful. Ended up throwing over half of it in the trash.

Reactions: Moral
I got a bagel from Bruegger’s recently. I remember them being good. But, now they are much smaller, and not very good.
They must have cut back on the recipe.

Reactions: Tom Paris
I occasionally see Pizza Hut Express inside Target stores, but I haven't been inside a stand alone PIzza Hut in years. There used to be one about 5 miles from my house but I'm pretty sure it closed down, although I can't remember if it closed before COVID or during.
I was driving through a small WI town & the signage on the restuarant was "Pizza Hut Classic". I did a double take.

The new matte color of paint on newer vehicles. I guess someone likes those colors, as they are selling.

Last weekend I went to a buddy's house for the weekend. Fairly new suburb neighborhood in the DM metro. LOTS of money in that area.

As I pulled into the development, I couldn't help but notice that a LOT of the houses were that matte blueish grey color that has become all the rage recently. I then noticed while driving through the neighborhood a couple times that the vehicles (especially trucks) there were a) fairly new, and b) predominantly some sort of thick solid grey matte color.

I don't get it at all. Especially the houses. There were a couple hundred fairly new houses in the neighborhood (oldest was probably 5 years) - no kidding, HALF of them were the same dull color.

It was like a Henry Ford legacy neighborhood. "You can side your brand new house, and order your brand new truck - with any color you want, as long as it's...".

Roller Skating Rinks, When I was a kid it was the coolest. Now they aren't really around any more. I guess it's because kids aren't as social.

Another one similar is when I was in high school a local bar would have a teen night where all the kids could pay a cover charge and come dance there. It was a blast!!

Same with Drive In Movies. Where else could you tell your parents you were going and take a girl and make out and get a handy and come home 4 hours later. I loved those times.

The Pizza Hut all you can eat buffet was a staple when my Dad had us every other weekend....
In Tally, we had CiCi's pizza buffet. It was our go-to place for pizza when the kids were young. In addition to the pizza on the buffet, they let you order a pizza any way you wanted. The pizza was pretty decent and the dessert pizza was really good.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
When the Pizza Hut opened in McPherson, Kansas in the 1970s it was a HUGE DEAL! You had to make reservations to eat in the dining room.

Pizza Hut was edible as a kid.

Now I’d rather down a whole bottle of Ex-lax. It tastes better and makes me poop less.
Correct. The bread sticks are still ok, but they are starting to mess those up also. My boys like Pizza Hut still since they don’t know any better, so when the wife brings home Pizza Hut I have a bread stick and make a sandwich and pass on the pizza.

Roller Skating Rinks, When I was a kid it was the coolest. Now they aren't really around any more. I guess it's because kids aren't as social.

Another one similar is when I was in high school a local bar would have a teen night where all the kids could pay a cover charge and come dance there. It was a blast!!

Same with Drive In Movies. Where else could you tell your parents you were going and take a girl and make out and get a handy and come home 4 hours later. I loved those times.
I think they're making a comeback, SF. Our daughter LOVES rollerskating, she has her skates on around the house most of the time too. It's awesome.

Reactions: SF HAWKEYE

I would say Roller Skating Rinks kind of fell out with Roller Skating itself. Now I can't tell you particularly why roller skating itself fell out, but it did. I mean I remember in the '80's and '90's you would see kids roller skating or roller blading all the time. I can't remember the last time I've seen a kid on skates or roller blades. I would suspect that like a lot of other outdoor activities video games, the internet and social media kind of replaced them.

Drive in movies. . . I'm honestly not sure why they fell out either. We actually have one near our house that we have gone to more than we have gone to traditional theaters. There are a couple reasons why we like it better. One is our kids, 2 of them on the spectrum so they have a hard time staying quiet sometimes. Especially if they are excited about something. They can stay quiet if they really really have to but it takes a lot of control for them to do so.

Another reason we like it is that our particular drive in theater offers a lot of food offerings that you just don't see at traditional theaters. Traditional theaters are mostly like candy, popcorn, pop. At the drive in we go to you can get a burger, you can get pizza, hot dogs, funnel cake, ice cream treats and a bunch of other stuff. That's especially helpful when 1 of your kids hates popcorn and all three of them hate pop. (I can't explain it because pop is my vice, but my kids all hate it.)

i probably cheated from time to time, that pizza was so good when i was a kid
The trick was reading the choose your own adventure books. They might be 100 pages, but if you choose the dumbest choice they could be over in 5 pages.

You've landed on the new planet Xystar and are exiting the hatch of your spacecraft when notice a bright colorful flower, green and neon pink, the shape of an X.

A. Decide to remove helmet and smell the flower

B. Remain in cockpit and scan atmosphere for human viability.

• Haha
Reactions: nolesincebirth
When I was in HS after every football and basketball game the local Pizza Hut was absolutely slammed with HS kids. They actually expanded the building at one point to npmake room for more tables.

I can say I worked there for a bit in HS, and I also worked at McDonalds. There was no comparison between the two.McDonalds had top-notch training for both staff and management. Every aspect of running the franchise was meticulously planned out, and every employee was trained to execute the plan. Pizza Hut, otoh, had zero formal training and was run completely haphazardly.

It was never a surprise to me that McDonalds has just kept growing while Pizza Hut has struggled.

'Geek Squad' used to just repair computers, now they install washers and dryers.

Nubile young things took to the razor down there. Why?
I never took you for a Libertine!

How would you know about this trend, other than through self-discovery?

In any event, having followed this trend closely, my opinion is that it started when Miss Paris Hilton was photographed getting out of a car. The picture captured quite a lot of her and when featured in the New York Post generated a lot of buzz.

Her grooming choices are followed by millions of young women and this particular one seems to have taken off and become the new-normal.

It is kind of a nice look actually, and certainly not confined to really young women.

Last edited:
I wonder if you could make money with Pizza Huts in small towns. Or make them Pizza Huts / DQ stands?

Clean them up, upgrade the pizza quality, bring back the nostalgia, make it a comfortable town gathering point summer and winter?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT