ADVERTISEMENT

Things that have changed but you don't know why

I have a couple of head-scratchers:

- Tattoos? On everyone, everywhere on the body, of all different sizes, differing themes, cheap/expensive? I simply do not think that the human body and artwork blend. Tattoos always look out of place and particularly if the particular body part chosen for the artwork is of lower quality (a fat leg, or a huge misshapen butt, for example)

- Amish style beards, Chechen terrorist style beards, ISIS style beards; large, long and mangy-looking beards of any variety

Last edited:
Reactions: EasyHawk
Roller Skating Rinks, When I was a kid it was the coolest. Now they aren't really around any more. I guess it's because kids aren't as social.

Another one similar is when I was in high school a local bar would have a teen night where all the kids could pay a cover charge and come dance there. It was a blast!!

Same with Drive In Movies. Where else could you tell your parents you were going and take a girl and make out and get a handy and come home 4 hours later. I loved those times.
All the kids that use to roller skate got hooked on the crack and into the gangs.....maaaaan!

Last edited:
Last weekend I went to a buddy's house for the weekend. Fairly new suburb neighborhood in the DM metro. LOTS of money in that area.

As I pulled into the development, I couldn't help but notice that a LOT of the houses were that matte blueish grey color that has become all the rage recently. I then noticed while driving through the neighborhood a couple times that the vehicles (especially trucks) there were a) fairly new, and b) predominantly some sort of thick solid grey matte color.

I don't get it at all. Especially the houses. There were a couple hundred fairly new houses in the neighborhood (oldest was probably 5 years) - no kidding, HALF of them were the same dull color.

It was like a Henry Ford legacy neighborhood. "You can side your brand new house, and order your brand new truck - with any color you want, as long as it's...".
Go in the basement of these new homes and look up. Plywood boards tipped with real wood is what is holding up the floor. If they could possibly construct it any cheaper, they would have.

Reactions: Pinehawk
When I was in HS after every football and basketball game the local Pizza Hut was absolutely slammed with HS kids. They actually expanded the building at one point to npmake room for more tables.

I can say I worked there for a bit in HS, and I also worked at McDonalds. There was no comparison between the two.McDonalds had top-notch training for both staff and management. Every aspect of running the franchise was meticulously planned out, and every employee was trained to execute the plan. Pizza Hut, otoh, had zero formal training and was run completely haphazardly.

It was never a surprise to me that McDonalds has just kept growing while Pizza Hut has struggled.

I worked at McDonald's in HS too and I had a friend of mine who worked there but left there to go work at subway.

He said afterwards thar "McDonald's spoiled us with good management"

Reactions: Tenacious E
Share something you saw changed but can't explain it and/or try to explain to someone else why the thing they brought up changed.

Was thinking about this the other day when I went to pick up pizza hut at carry out.

I remember when I was younger and even as a young adult Pizza Hut would be an place that people would actually eat out at. I remember actually dining in the pizza hut I was at like 16 to 18 years ago. Now no one eats in at Pizza hut. That location has tons of chairs in the dining room and no one is ever there eating in. Only time I see those chairs being used is for employees taking a break. I sort of wondered why that changed. . . and I remember people still doing it even after internet delivery became a thing.

Another thing I wondered about is why "Geek culture" has become mainstream. Like in the '90's and early 2000's geek culture was pretty niche to . . . geeks. In fact I will say as someone who was a bit of a geek/nerd in high school I often felt more normal than other geeks/nerds because I wasn't into comic books. Now geek culture has become so mainstream that totally normal people will talk about their preference for either Marvel or DC comics. The Avengers movies made bank and are still making bank. Also comic con is like a huge thing now. What happened?
Pizza Hut seems worse because they lowered the quality of their product since the 80s. There is probably also something going on where there is better competition and your palate judges it so.

I worked at McDonald's in HS too and I had a friend of mine who worked there but left there to go work at subway.

He said afterwards thar "McDonald's spoiled us with good management"
I also worked at m Donald’s in high school. Shitty job with cuts and burns, but it taught me to appreciate education, and they did run a fine-oiled machine capable of exploiting child labor to the maximum.

Reactions: Hoosierhawkeye

- Tattoos? On everyone, everywhere on the body, of all different sizes, differing themes, cheap/expensive? I simply do not think that the human body and artwork blend. Tattoos always look out of place and particularly if the particular body part chosen for the artwork is of lower quality (a fat leg, or a huge misshapen butt, for example)
You see a lot of tattoos on misshapen butts?

Reactions: Titus Andronicus

- Amish style beards, Chechen terrorist style beards, ISIS style beards; large, long and mangy-looking beards of any variety

Neither is a good development honestly.

I know I find tats on women extremely unattractive.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
Car dealership inventory selection. They love to get the most extreme/oddest combo of packages (eg red seats).

The narrow ass “living rooms” on new builds. You know with builds-in and the fireplace in the middle resulting in the TV way too high. It’s like they forgot about a living room until the last change request.

When did foul language (F-bomb in particular) in public become acceptable?
Guys in the engineering dept where the wife worked would say "It's just a word" when she would confront them.
Was out fishing on a lake the other day. Two ladies floating on tubes were talking and dropping F this and F that in casual conversation. Wanted to ask if they eat with that mouth but figured it was not worth it.
I don't get it either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT