ADVERTISEMENT

This Kris Murray thing is starting to color my thinking about Fran...

I think that PMac and Connor coming in as basically 4 star coaches son recruits is why there is so much criticism. I mean they have not played even close to a 4 star type of player. Part of the issue is these kids that play all the AAU ball and peak in high school. The Murray Brothers were not even done growing at 18-19 yrs old let alone peaking. Honestly can you blame the skepticism of hawk fans when they had no major offers and then Fmac offers? Especially considering how poorly the team had been playing defense and 2nd half of the season collapses. AAU ball is part of the problem. Some players rated way too high where as others don't get noticed. Plus the shady deals related to AAU coaches and teams. I think if you can afford it the prep school deal is a better option for young players. I was a Kenyon M. fan so had a feeling the brothers were going to be much better than the rating. I just wish they would have Kenyon come in and show the team how to defend.

I just want to know why PMac and Rebraca are playing more than Kris? Just a simple question.

Play your best players the most? Every statistic backs that yet 0 explanation why Kris literally didn’t touch the floor the first 10 minutes against Purdue. maybe I’m off by a few minutes, and I get the 6th man/Celtics examples…. But play him more minutes FOR **** SAKE!
Well Filip is much thicker and stronger than Kris, give the best post play at the post position. Kris cannot regularly defend the big men.

Why not into the game against Purdue? Because Purdue's two big men were overwhelming him. Also he was in first half foul trouble.

I agree about more minutes but they should come from Connor and a few others sprinkled in.

Reactions: CyberJJ
D

Disagree, he is and it’s noticeable the improvement he’s made. I’m expecting bigger and better from him this season and next. Hopefully Kris doesn’t opt out to play in the NBA( g -league), next season. Highly doubt there’s any chance Keegan is back but with Bowen and Dix, an improved Rebraca and Mulvey and Peyton Sandfort. More rope for JoeT and Perkins we’ll have a chance again for the Tournament . Without Kris , we’ll the following year might be better.
He has made improvements & next year he should be better, but I really don't think he is a starting Big Ten player right now.

Reactions: RomanHawk
I am not sure why this surprises anyone. Fran has always played his guys, whoever those guys are, at the expense of others. Keegan was a bit player for half or more of the season last year. Kris barely saw the floor. Ulis and Perkins played very little--only when Iowa needed better athletes on the floor to apply pressure. CJ, Jbo and Connor played, despite all 3 having nagging injuries, that Fran conveniently told us about after the Oregon drubbing.

As far as Keegan and Kris, @Franisdaman did his usual smear campaign implying everyone was outraged when they were offered. Go back and read my posts (and others) who watched their games in Florida and said nothing but positive things about them.

I have no issue with Pmac. He is figuring things out and will get better. He was the lone bright spot in the first half against Purdue. Connor is another story. It's a complete joke that he gets the PT he does. Ash and Laketa are better option and this is not hyperbole-both are about 500 times more likely to make a shot than Connor and would require a defender to stay in the same zip code.

Fran has had enough time at Iowa. He is a mediocre coach and recruiter who thinks it's about him, not the program. He has no clue how to assemble a team and that starts with guard play. The back court of Jbo and Joe T. is anemic and that is being kind. We were told Rebraca was a dynamic scorer with an inside-outside game out to the 3-point line. The kid plays his ass off, but he isn't a starting 5 at the P5 level, except in Fran's head. Josh gets virtually no PT and instead of going to the portal, Fran has Mulvey reclassify to ride the pine. Does anyone see either contributing next year? I don't.

As much as I love Iowa hoops, Fran has me to the point of not watching and I will not attend another game until he is gone. Call me what you will, but Fran has tied Alford as my most despised Iowa coach of all time (and it's only January, so Fran might actually win something).

Who's doing the smear campaign now? Wow, talk about a hypocrite, and nobody likes hypocrites like yourself.

Anyone paying attention saw how outraged people were on here when the twins were offered/about to commit. Here was a 9 page thread on that outrage when the Murray twins were about to sign:
Ash and Laketa are about 500 times more likely to make a shot than Connor, huh? Do you always grossly exaggerate like this?

Fran has you to the point of not watching, huh? No one believes you on this, either; it's just another one of your exaggerations.

You call Fran a mediocre coach and recruiter who thinks it's about him. Well, you are a very mediocre poster and your post clearly makes it all about you with your hypocrisy, gross exaggeration, and idle threats to never watch or attend another game until Fran is gone.

Fran likely be here until at least 2029, which is when Jack's 4 years at Iowa will be up. Since you clearly won't be watching for the next 7 years, I assume you won't be posting, either.

Reactions: iahawks10 and seam
I am not sure why this surprises anyone. Fran has always played his guys, whoever those guys are, at the expense of others. Keegan was a bit player for half or more of the season last year. Kris barely saw the floor. Ulis and Perkins played very little--only when Iowa needed better athletes on the floor to apply pressure. CJ, Jbo and Connor played, despite all 3 having nagging injuries, that Fran conveniently told us about after the Oregon drubbing.

As far as Keegan and Kris, @Franisdaman did his usual smear campaign implying everyone was outraged when they were offered. Go back and read my posts (and others) who watched their games in Florida and said nothing but positive things about them.

I have no issue with Pmac. He is figuring things out and will get better. He was the lone bright spot in the first half against Purdue. Connor is another story. It's a complete joke that he gets the PT he does. Ash and Laketa are better option and this is not hyperbole-both are about 500 times more likely to make a shot than Connor and would require a defender to stay in the same zip code.

Fran has had enough time at Iowa. He is a mediocre coach and recruiter who thinks it's about him, not the program. He has no clue how to assemble a team and that starts with guard play. The back court of Jbo and Joe T. is anemic and that is being kind. We were told Rebraca was a dynamic scorer with an inside-outside game out to the 3-point line. The kid plays his ass off, but he isn't a starting 5 at the P5 level, except in Fran's head. Josh gets virtually no PT and instead of going to the portal, Fran has Mulvey reclassify to ride the pine. Does anyone see either contributing next year? I don't.

As much as I love Iowa hoops, Fran has me to the point of not watching and I will not attend another game until he is gone. Call me what you will, but Fran has tied Alford as my most despised Iowa coach of all time (and it's only January, so Fran might actually win something).
Never thought about it. But now I'm upset Ash is not getting playing time over Connor.

• Haha
Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Ol' Doodle is sorry if someone else has already posited this, but could it be that Fran feels like he has one 35-40-minute "player" between the two of them since their skill sets are so similar? So he approaches it like "Imma play them separately and then I can get more or less a full game worth of minutes and 10 potential fouls out of what is basically the same player." No question that'd be idiotic reasoning...but is it just barely possible that this is his mindset? Kind of like, "I've been got a Keegan on the floor...and a 'Keegan' in reserve" type of thinking.

Reactions: iahawks10
Ol' Doodle is sorry if someone else has already posited this, but could it be that Fran feels like he has one 35-40-minute "player" between the two of them since their skill sets are so similar? So he approaches it like "Imma play them separately and then I can get more or less a full game worth of minutes and 10 potential fouls out of what is basically the same player." No question that'd be idiotic reasoning...but is it just barely possible that this is his mindset? Kind of like, "I've been got a Keegan on the floor...and a 'Keegan' in reserve" type of thinking.
agree maybe with this--the way FM subs in like 3 players at a time I think he wants Kris in the game for scoring when he takes out both guards and pmac. but I also agree that total minutes for Kris need to go up...
What fun players to watch though huh? Both Murrays length is something else, even if they get beat off the dribble they are still not out of it as they can come from behind and make plays--
Just glad they came here...

...and not it a good way. I'm a long way from getting into "Fire Fran" mode, but his stubborn reluctance to go with what is very obviously our best starting five is starting to wear on me. Fran has been good for Iowa. Fran understands basketball much better than I do, but c'mon. Can anyone honestly argue that Kris is not at least the 2nd best player on this years team? I don't think so, and Fran's attitude on this point is beginning to trouble me.
to be fair, Fran is doing the same as last year, when Keegan was the 2nd highest rated player in CONF games and 3rd in all games (behind Garza, then Nunge,then Keegan)

although Keegan clearly demonstrated his superior results in the court, Fran stubbornly refused to alter his player rotations, and this is happening again this year With Kris showing extraordinary top shelf results, offensively and defensively and Fran is resolute in his refusal to alter his player rotations

good God how far would have Iowa gone in last years tourney had Fran paired Garza/Wieskamp with elite defenders like the Murray’s twins….

= coaching blunder of epic proportions…

and again, we’ve been to this movie and know how it’s ends

It's Connor's last year and he has had a niche on the team. This, his last yea,r he's having a down year, which is sad. Patrick is fine on the team. I have a problem not going for someone with the Ash scholarship. That didn't make sense. The young man was fine with transferring for his senior year.
yup, really don't understand why Fran does not use the portal more - especially for a season like this where it really makes sense. He took a right step in getting Rebraca, but then took 3 steps back gifting a schollie to someone who already had his bags packed for the Summit League or the like.... Yeah, I know great kid who deserved it and plays hard in practice each day...but at the end of the day it's about winning games and trying to belong in the upper tier of of the BT conference. ;)

His offense is ok. But watch him off the ball on defense. He cherry picks, lacks toughness, doesn’t rebound, and doesn’t hustle/give 100%.
Yes, pmac averages only 0.6 fouls per game...because he's not going for rebounds and never physically guarding anyone. He still is in the Top5 becuase he can score....he could be a good player if Fran even asked him to play defense.

As far as Soybean just now figuring how Fran is favoring his kids, newsflash CMAC was not a better option than Keegan or Kris at PF last year. Defense actually matters.

Not picking on you but I find posters on here hilarious.

When Kris and Keegan signed with Iowa, everyone was outraged. After all, Rivals had not even rated them yet! They had no D1 offers coming out of high school! Most said Fran was an idiot and some said he should be fired on the spot for signing the Murray twins!

As it turns out, it was our fans who were the idiots when it came to the Murray twins. Fran looks like a genius for signing Keegan and Kris and instead of being outraged about them being at Iowa, we now must lean on them!!! I mean, seriously, you cannot make this stuff up.

And Iowa fans can't be outraged about how many players Fran plays because he basically is only playing 9. So, in order to be outraged about something, the outrage now is about who starts and how many minutes everyone should be playing. Fans were WRONG about the Murrays coming to Iowa so maybe they are now CORRECT about who starts and how many minutes everyone should play???

If there is one thing we can count on from Iowa fans is that they are wrong just as much as they are right and that they are OUTRAGED about something.

Sure, I think Kris should play more but there is nothing I can do about that or the 9 man rotation; that's the coaching staff's job and they know way more that any of us "experts."

And we all need a reality check. I knew coming into the season that we would be an average team and that outside shooting was a big concern. We ALL should have known that. Well, guess what? We are indeed an average team a we have been terrible from the outside.

Any way, sorry to interrupt. Please carry on with your outrage.

I would say everyone was outraged that Fran missed out on Foster, the number one recruit in Iowa. The two fallbacks were the Murrays and the opinions were more mixed.....taking both Murrays is something LIckliter also would have done....let that sink in.

Give Kenyon his dues...he is the one that developed those two boys...they were local and he shopped them to Fran. Fran being Fran, had too many open schollies because he is a disaster in the portal and didn't have any other options.

Fran is a coach with 37 years and zero sweet16s. 0.500 in B1G for a career says you are average. He isn't going anywhere with his contract and in fact he knows he is secure, so he can play his own boys as much as he wants and create roster issues. Personally, I think it he is stubborn/full of his own ego and that is why he has such a weak assistant coaching staff and plays his favorites and his kids. In the end, it is the university of Iowa that I follow, not Fran University.

• Haha
Reactions: iahawks10
I think that PMac and Connor coming in as basically 4 star coaches son recruits is why there is so much criticism. I mean they have not played even close to a 4 star type of player. Part of the issue is these kids that play all the AAU ball and peak in high school. The Murray Brothers were not even done growing at 18-19 yrs old let alone peaking. Honestly can you blame the skepticism of hawk fans when they had no major offers and then Fmac offers? Especially considering how poorly the team had been playing defense and 2nd half of the season collapses. AAU ball is part of the problem. Some players rated way too high where as others don't get noticed. Plus the shady deals related to AAU coaches and teams. I think if you can afford it the prep school deal is a better option for young players. I was a Kenyon M. fan so had a feeling the brothers were going to be much better than the rating. I just wish they would have Kenyon come in and show the team how to defend.
Stop it. None of what you said makes any sense. It’s just a rant against AAU ball which it is what it is. And saying since they play AAU ball they peak in high school? Cmon dude. That is not a thing.

...and not it a good way. I'm a long way from getting into "Fire Fran" mode, but his stubborn reluctance to go with what is very obviously our best starting five is starting to wear on me. Fran has been good for Iowa. Fran understands basketball much better than I do, but c'mon. Can anyone honestly argue that Kris is not at least the 2nd best player on this years team? I don't think so, and Fran's attitude on this point is beginning to trouble me.
Perfectly stated. I'm not a Fran hater and think he's done good things here.

However, to continue to start JBo and play both he and Connor so many minutes is a coaching failure.

To those saying it doesn't matter if Kris starts, I disagree. It would likely be a confidence booster for him and it helps set the tone for the game when you start your best players and give yourself a chance to get off to a good start.

Joe T
Kris
Keegan
Rebraca
PMac/Perkins/Sandfort (depending on who is playing well and matchups)

That would be my starting five. Connor literally would get maybe 5 minutes a game to rest guys and when there's a purely defensive possession.

I'm very frustrated with the distribution of minutes this far into the season. Early on, it was understandable but now things are extremely clear and adjustments aren't being made.

Stop it. None of what you said makes any sense. It’s just a rant against AAU ball which it is what it is. And saying since they play AAU ball they peak in high school? Cmon dude. That is not a thing.
the problem with AAU is these kids play a lot of games. They don't spend time on fundamentals. That's why these kids get bad habits and it's hard to retrain them.

Honestly he plays like a guy that was told by his coach to stay out of foul trouble because we need you on offense.
I said this last year and got murdered on here but he seems like a guy that has been bigger, faster and jumped higher then everybody he's played against. Basketball has been easy for him and he's never been forced to outwork people. With Fran as his coach I don't see him getting tougher. He needs a Mick Cronin type coach to coach him.

Wishing won’t make it so I’m afraid but I agree with most of this assessment. We’re I coach ( never ever happen). Id like to start.
Rebraca
Keegan
PMac
Tony P
JoeT
After 4-6 minutes
Id replace
PMac with Kris
Tony with Peyton
After 10 replace
Filip with Josh O
Keegan with PMac
JoeT with JBo
4 minutes later bring back starters to finish the half.
Review at halftime and adjust.
Maybe Peyton plays more or Kris. Can’t say until I’ve watched the game

Not picking on you but I find posters on here hilarious.

When Kris and Keegan signed with Iowa, everyone was outraged. After all, Rivals had not even rated them yet! They had no D1 offers coming out of high school! Most said Fran was an idiot and some said he should be fired on the spot for signing the Murray twins!

As it turns out, it was our fans who were the idiots when it came to the Murray twins. Fran looks like a genius for signing Keegan and Kris and instead of being outraged about them being at Iowa, we now must lean on them!!! I mean, seriously, you cannot make this stuff up.

And Iowa fans can't be outraged about how many players Fran plays because he basically is only playing 9. So, in order to be outraged about something, the outrage now is about who starts and how many minutes everyone should be playing. Fans were WRONG about the Murrays coming to Iowa so maybe they are now CORRECT about who starts and how many minutes everyone should play???

If there is one thing we can count on from Iowa fans is that they are wrong just as much as they are right and that they are OUTRAGED about something.

Sure, I think Kris should play more but there is nothing I can do about that or the 9 man rotation; that's the coaching staff's job and they know way more that any of us "experts."

And we all need a reality check. I knew coming into the season that we would be an average team and that outside shooting was a big concern. We ALL should have known that. Well, guess what? We are indeed an average team and we have been terrible from the outside.

Any way, sorry to interrupt. Please carry on with your outrage.
The bolded part is not necessarily true. Some coaches/staffs make bad decisions and end up getting fired.

Did Lickliter know way more than the experts on the board?

Fran is essentially the same coach in his in game management deficiencies when it comes to lineups and minutes distributions. It's magnified this year with two players who should have moved on after last season. To top it off, the player least deserving of minutes is his own kid. That makes it look even worse.

Reactions: Chicagoherky71
the problem with AAU is these kids play a lot of games. They don't spend time on fundamentals. That's why these kids get bad habits and it's hard to retrain them.
Again, this is untrue. Most of the kids playing basketball today play way more basketball, and spend more time on fundamentals, that at any time previously. There is better personalized coaching, better access to training, all of it. Iowa doesn't turn the ball over much. They are a good passing, dribbling team. Where they struggle is physicality/rebounding, and in overall commitment to defense. The commitment to defense part is entirely the issue with the coach. Good defensive teams have coaches that teach it well, and require players to be good at it to get on the floor.

AAU basketball has its flaws. But it hasn't resulted in a lapse of fundamentals.

Well Filip is much thicker and stronger than Kris, give the best post play at the post position. Kris cannot regularly defend the big men.

Why not into the game against Purdue? Because Purdue's two big men were overwhelming him. Also he was in first half foul trouble.

I agree about more minutes but they should come from Connor and a few others sprinkled in.

Much thicker and stronger? I’m not here to bash FR because I actually think he should easily be playing 20 mpg. He’s not either of those, he may be marginally, but he’s not proven in games to be worth keeping Kris on the bench for. Kris statistically has proven, and it’s backed heavily by statistics, to be the best scorer and defender on the team. That’s almost been exclusively done at the 5 position. Oddly enough his best game was when FR got two early (3 minutes into the game against IU) and he was allowed extensive play at the 5, and showed out.

I understand the foul trouble, but I don’t understand it taking 10 minutes when we were down double digits early to get our second best player in.

If we need to sustain boards and better defense, then play him at the 3, bench PMAC. FR provides more of what we need than him, and Kris is a better overall player who can play longer minutes than PMac, and there’s nobody who can convince me otherwise. The only reason we won’t see this is because of depth at the 5. But sorry Fran, I’d rather see JO or RM get playing time now, at the expense of your son getting playing time FR and Kris earn over him. Play Connor at the 4 a few minutes a game to give Keegan rest. We have 9 to 11 guys that have played and we are sacrificing some of the better ones just so Fran can evenly space out minutes between Jbo, Pmac and Connor.

I would say everyone was outraged that Fran missed out on Foster, the number one recruit in Iowa. The two fallbacks were the Murrays and the opinions were more mixed.....taking both Murrays is something LIckliter also would have done....let that sink in.

Give Kenyon his dues...he is the one that developed those two boys...they were local and he shopped them to Fran. Fran being Fran, had too many open schollies because he is a disaster in the portal and didn't have any other options.

Fran is a coach with 37 years and zero sweet16s. 0.500 in B1G for a career says you are average. He isn't going anywhere with his contract and in fact he knows he is secure, so he can play his own boys as much as he wants and create roster issues. Personally, I think it he is stubborn/full of his own ego and that is why he has such a weak assistant coaching staff and plays his favorites and his kids. In the end, it is the university of Iowa that I follow, not Fran University.

I’ll ask again in this thread since you continue to ignore, but repeat the same clueless agenda. Please explain where you came up with this “coach with 37 years” lie.

That’s not true at all. Jesus Christ. These kids are practicing 3-4 times a week playing AAU ball. They spend plenty of time on fundamentals. Games are on the weekends. You might play 4-5_6 games in a weekend but they practice plenty. My sons AAU coach was an incredible dribbling and ball handling guy. So many good drills. It’s just not true.

I just want to know why PMac and Rebraca are playing more than Kris? Just a simple question.

Play your best players the most? Every statistic backs that yet 0 explanation why Kris literally didn’t touch the floor the first 10 minutes against Purdue. maybe I’m off by a few minutes, and I get the 6th man/Celtics examples…. But play him more minutes FOR **** SAKE!
Rebraca plays a different position. When he is off the floor, except for the few minutes Big O gets, Keegan slides to the 5.

I want the Murray’s and Toussaint to all play 30+ a game. Good things happen when those guys play more. I was baffled that Joe only played 20 mins the other night.
Not sure you would be able to keep all three on the floor for 30 minutes with foul trouble, especially with Fran's policy of sitting them the rest of the first half when they get 2 fouls.

Wait what? Are you saying Rebraca and Kris play different positions?
Rebraca is a 4 playing the 5. It seems when Chris comes in if Rebraca is not in the game then more often than not Keegan is defending the center. They play Chris there at times be he is even more out of position at the 5 than Rebraca is. Chris has size and is flexible on defense, but if he started at the five he would be on the bench much of the first half with foul trouble. He looks to me like a stretch four that is really a three.

Rebraca is a 4 playing the 5. It seems when Chris comes in if Rebraca is not in the game then more often than not Keegan is defending the center. They play Chris there at times be he is even more out of position at the 5 than Rebraca is. Chris has size and is flexible on defense, but if he started at the five he would be on the bench much of the first half with foul trouble. He looks to me like a stretch four that is really a three.

I mean you’re right Rebraca is better suited with his size to play a 4, but his skill set is that of a true 5.

Kris subs in for Rebraca and exclusively plays the 5 spot UNLESS Keegan comes out and another post comes in. The position you play is defined by what role you fill offensively, not who you guard on defense

I agree fouls could be an issue being an undersized 5 like Kris, but Filip faces the same issue. Don’t see why we don’t gamble on it to keep KnK on at the same time to start the game.

Also idk how any of this addresses my original post you responded to; why are Pmac and FR playing more minutes than Kris.

Also who tf is Chris? 😂

I mean you’re right Rebraca is better suited with his size to play a 4, but his skill set is that of a true 5.

Kris subs in for Rebraca and exclusively plays the 5 spot UNLESS Keegan comes out and another post comes in. The position you play is defined by what role you fill offensively, not who you guard on defense

I agree fouls could be an issue being an undersized 5 like Kris, but Filip faces the same issue. Don’t see why we don’t gamble on it to keep KnK on at the same time to start the game.

Also idk how any of this addresses my original post you responded to; why are Pmac and FR playing more minutes than Kris.

Also who tf is Chris? 😂
Uh, there are two ends of the floor. My point was if he started and had to guard the five, he would likely be on the bench pretty quickly with Fran's two foul rule. That is why Rebraca gets more minutes. Now, to your first post, I don't understand why some of the other 3's get as many minutes over him as they do.

It’s fun reading some people waking up to Fran fatigue in this thread.

Goodness the guy has been here 12+ years now….the team will never defend, or rebound well and his rotations will always drive you nuts….oh and he’s always going to play his kids no matter if we have MJ sitting on the bench.

And he will never make it to the Sweet 16, if it didn’t happen last year it’s not going to.
I can’t stand it….Keegan and Kris may be two of my favorite hawks to watch individually in years….but Frans coaching drives me bonkers….

Reactions: Pepperman and Bee93
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT