ADVERTISEMENT

This might be a little tougher than Putin thought...

While I think it will be a little slower than you think from here on out, the bigger question remains, "to what end?" Sanctions are not an end in themselves - that's a bit of a western/american mindset. Usually, the point of sanctions is to (i) create popular suffering so as to undermine domestic political support, resulting in regime change, (ii) create popular suffering so as to undermine domestic political support resulting in policy change, or (iii) to erode the capacity to make war (eg, by limiting raw materials, etc.).

My point is that the Russian system is not going to have a problem handling either (i) or (ii), since popular support (or even oligarchical support) is not the underpinning of the regime or policy. That leaves us with (iii), which will occur, but in a command/authoritarian economy, unfortunately slower than we might hope.
We’ll see. These are not your father’s Russians. They’ve had 30 years of relative prosperity. They’re already fighting over sugar.

Related to this, my grandfather was in 1/506 PIR during WWII (Mom's dad). IIRC, he'd told me he'd made around 60-70 training jumps between Ft Benning, Ft Campbell and England, before making 2 combat jumps. In 1967, he flew to Ft Benning (via ATL) for the 25th anniversary of the 506th's formation. When they were a few minutes out, a young lady sitting next to him was really nervous, so he tried to calm her nerves. She asked if he'd flown before, he said "Yeah, about 60 or 70 times". She asked him which was worse, the takeoff or landing, he said "Well, I'm not sure, I've never landed in a plane, I've always jumped". He said he started getting nervous and was useless to her.

Listened to several podcasts on subject and Japan in general during wwii. They echoed you statements.

people need to remember the fire bombings of Tokyo killed more than the atomic bombs. Japan had a policy of making the battles horrific. to force United States to negotiate a settlement. They knew they couldn’t win if it played out to its conclusion. The atrocities the Japanese military committed on United States soldiers was horrific.
The Japanese made a mistake that has been made many times in war thinking that atrocities committed against prisoners or civilians will intimidate them into surrender. But what often times happens is the opposite. American and Australians fighting the Japanese often got to the point that they were not going to surrender under any circumstances.

How much bombing did the US do in Vietnam?

The United States Air Force, the U. S. Navy, and U. S. Marine Corps aviation dropped 7,662,000 tons of explosives. By comparison, U. S. forces dropped a total of 2,150,000 tons of bombs in all theaters of World War II.

To tank or not to tank, that is the question....

The problem isn't the tanks, the problem is how they are being employed and the (lack of) ground support they receive. Sending tanks into battle by themselves is insane. This is why the US always employs them as part of a Combined Arms element. This doesn't mean there is infantry a few feet or meters away. It means that there is infantry as a lead element or on the flanks...hundreds of meters or a Km away. They support each other.

The Russians has basically sent their tanks in with no support of any kind, either logistical or combat support.

Last edited:
Russia didn't actually intend to fight a war it appears. I think they truly believed they'd walk in, Ukraine would surrender, and that was that. They spent zero time putting together thought on supply lines, on how to control the skies, I mean our armed forces take weeks just to make certain we'll be able to deploy proper communications equipment. Russia is using cell phones without encryption.

giphy.gif

To tank or not to tank, that is the question....

Tanks have a place BUT they have to be supported by infantry. That’s always been the case…especially in built up area’s.

Seems like the Russians are just barreling in with tanks unsupported. Easy pickings for the anti tank weapons the Ukrainians have.

Tanks have a place BUT they have to be supported by infantry. That’s always been the case…especially in built up area’s.

Seems like the Russians are just barreling in with tanks unsupported. Easy pickings for the anti tank weapons the Ukrainians have.

They did the same thing in WW2 but had the manpower to absorb the lessons learned by 1944

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT