ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Game

I'm not a 'dude'. What, are you 12? The Joey comment was actually tongue in cheek that a few posters will 'get,' and why would anyone need to make 'excuses' for a game we won? If you don't think Garza and little Bo can play better when totally healthy, well good for you. Pointing out there health issues is hardly making an excuse for them. Sorry you're not going to enjoy the season. I am. I'm a supporter, not a self absorbed fanatic. Relax son, we won.

I agree with you on the Hawks...but are you saying you're a lady?

Really? Thanks for clearing that up for me as I was so confused. Not sure what your point is buddy?

I'm not a 'dude'. What, are you 12? The Joey comment was actually tongue in cheek that a few posters will 'get,' and why would anyone need to make 'excuses' for a game we won? If you don't think Garza and little Bo can play better when totally healthy, well good for you. Pointing out there health issues is hardly making an excuse for them. Sorry you're not going to enjoy the season. I am. I'm a supporter, not a self absorbed fanatic. Relax son, we won.

What. A. Douche. You definitely aren't a dude, that is reserved for cool folks; you are more like a whiny, old baby.

Not surprising though, as that is your MO around here.

Reactions: yiana
I agree with you on the Hawks...but are you saying you're a lady?
No, I'm a grown man, retired, a vet, and I don't think it's respectful to call gentlemen you don't know, and are probably your elder, 'dude'. It's part of the disrespectful 'millennial' (and younger) thing that I don't care for.

Joey? Little Bo? What, are you 12? "We" won? You didn't win squat unless you are on the team or one of the coaches.

No, I'm a grown man, retired, a vet, and I don't think it's respectful to call gentlemen you don't know, and are probably your elder, 'dude'. It's part of the disrespectful 'millennial' (and younger) thing that I don't care for.
You can call people “buddy” and “son” but are offended by people calling you “dude”? That’s a pretty dumb thing to get worked up over, especially since nobody uses “dude” with the intent to disrespect

That all being said

Fran needs to figure out the starting lineup

Jobo
DAiLEY
Garza/Kreiner
Joe w
Cook

What. A. Douche. You definitely aren't a dude, that is reserved for cool folks; you are more like a whiny, old baby.

Not surprising though, as that is your MO around here.
Another disrespectful millennial running his mouth. And another keyboard warrior talking to a real warrior, a combat infantry vet, like he's some tough guy. I couldn't care less what you believe to be 'cool'.
Pretty amazing. I make a reasonable post about what I thought of the game, wasn't directed at anyone or in response to anyone's post. One of you twits responds very disrespectfully and when I point out that his response wasn't called for and disrespectful, another one of you young punks comes on and defends that behavior. And we wonder what is wrong in the country? Poor parenting, and it's obvious with you two. Run your mouths some more. I'll just block you. I don't have time for punks like yourself.

Ha that's a tough slope to command respect on an anonymous message board. Not sure you're gonna win that one.

You can call people “buddy” and “son” but are offended by people calling you “dude”? That’s a pretty dumb thing to get worked up over, especially since nobody uses “dude” with the intent to disrespect
I don't know where you're from or what era you grew up in, but it wasn't used in a respectful manner in almost every scenario that I've been in.
You find 'buddy' disrespectful? Where are you people from?

The rebounding was bad, but otherwise the defense was actually pretty good. Umkc was 33 percent from 3, and 36 percent from the field.

I thought the offense was frustrating, but we know that Garza, Moss and Bohannon are capable of doing a lot more than they did tonight.

Reactions: perryhawk
I don't know where you're from or what era you grew up in, but it wasn't used in a respectful manner in almost every scenario that I've been in.
You find 'buddy' disrespectful? Where are you people from?
I don’t find buddy disrespectful at all. I also don’t find dude disrespectful. You can’t pick and choose which pet names are acceptable and which aren’t though. I know several people who don’t like being called “buddy”

I don’t find buddy disrespectful at all. I also don’t find dude disrespectful. You can’t pick and choose which pet names are acceptable and which aren’t though. I know several people who don’t like being called “buddy”
I won't call you buddy then. See how easy that was.

Connor and to a lesser extent Joe were our best defenders tonight. I’m not sure I saw Connor get beat without recovering. He was tied for the team lead in +/- with Cook at 14

Moss, in a double digit victory, somehow managed to be -2

Reactions: cheerscoach
I would like to see them start Connor with Bohannon or at least pair them together during stretches. Bohannon would benefit from playing off the ball more and Moss could add some scoring to a bench that doesn't have many scorers.

It has to do with content as well. Did it sound like he was being my 'buddy' with his comments? I didn't understand why he attacked my innocent comments. I don't normally start things, but I have no problem finishing them.

Iowa will be lucky to finish as the 10th best Big Ten team.......

Another boring year of college basketball where I shouldn't bother watching the team I root for suffer and struggle through the season with no real interesting progress in sight.

And sorry but I don't get my basketball fix marveling at other programs because they have good players. That's what makes it boring to me. I don't give a f*** about Duke and Kentucky pulling in NBA talent every year and the same 10 teams being in the race for the NCAA tournament title. The upsets are the only redeeming quality and even then its really just to open the door for some other elite team or program with the hot-handed players who are bound for the NBA.

Boring as f***.

And yes, college football is basically there now with Alabama too.

At least wrestling is showing some promise, so we got that going for us, which is nice.............
I agree with most of this about the annoying dominance in college basketball, but I do think this version of the Iowa Hawkeye basketball team will be a fun watch on offense, if not at times frustrating on defense because of how soft they are and fail to do all the little things we have all learned are important in good defensive basketball. Things like stopping the dribble, cutting off or at least reducing the passing windows, helping out on defense by coming off your man when needed, fighting for position on a rebound and giving a hard but clean foul on guys going to the rim.

These types of defensive principles can be fun to watch too if they are done effectively and dominantly.

IDK, I am not expecting much, but I do think they will give us something to look forward to watching and being entertained by on cold winter nights this season.

Reactions: cheerscoach
I would like to see them start Connor with Bohannon or at least pair them together during stretches. Bohannon would benefit from playing off the ball more and Moss could add some scoring to a bench that doesn't have many scorers.
I like your thought and I think we may see that at times as little Bo works his way back from whatever was ailing him. Against some of these smaller line ups would it be stupid to go with Conner, Bo, Joey, Maishe and Cook at the same time? Would we lose too much rebounding? Just spit balling.

giphy.gif

Second positive: the officials were clearly on our side tonight. The negative of that positive: that will NOT be something we can count on going forward.
You are correct. I didn't see one yellow flag on us for pass interference or holding. It's about time we got a couple of calls..:D

It’s a basketball message board, get over it dude. Get back to the basketball discussion instead of your “respect” lecture.

Reactions: amahawk
Are you talking basketball right now?
It’s a basketball message board, get over it dude. Get back to the basketball discussion instead of your “respect” lecture.
Do you not see the incongruity of your statement when you are posting just to call me dude and not talking about basketball? Sad.

I didn’t see the game, but looking at the box score, Garza and Kriener combined for 10 FG attempts and 5 of them were 3’s. That is a problem. Cook only taking 7 shots is a problem. Moss scoring 3 points is a problem. Bohannon won’t go 1/5 from three very often.

Hopefully this was just a bad game and they’ll improve.
Unfortunately we are weak inside and it's going to be a long season??

I didn’t see the game, but looking at the box score, Garza and Kriener combined for 10 FG attempts and 5 of them were 3’s. That is a problem. Cook only taking 7 shots is a problem. Moss scoring 3 points is a problem. Bohannon won’t go 1/5 from three very often.

Hopefully this was just a bad game and they’ll improve.

When they hack you on your attempts in the paint, only your threes show up in the box score unfortunately. It wasn't like they weren't around the basket, but other than a Tyler Cook "and one", they didn't get any to drop when fouled. We shot a ton of free throws tonight, and many were from getting fouled on defensive rebounds when we were in the bonus, so we didn't even have a possession to put up a shot.

When they hack you on your attempts in the paint, only your threes show up in the box score unfortunately. It wasn't like they weren't around the basket, but other than a Tyler Cook "and one", they didn't get any to drop when fouled. We shot a ton of free throws tonight, and many were from getting fouled on defensive rebounds when we were in the bonus, so we didn't even have a possession to put up a shot.
I did notice quite a few free throws attempted, but didn’t realize they were hacking like that. Thanks

We over help and get put out of position to get back to 3 point shooter

BAU

Yes this has been happening for quite some time. Defending as a team is difficult, but yes absolutely Iowa has a real hard time recognizing when to help and when to stay at home. Having a guy shoot a guarded layup or guarded shot in the lane is a much better percentage play than leaving a man wide open at the 3-point line. But time and again it's what UMKC ended up with. I shudder to think what a Michigan or Indiana will do with the same.

Watched the first half and went to sleep. We at least won, but not very convincingly. Living in Florida,, I had to look to the internet to see the Iowa roster. I was amazed to see that the majority of players are from Iowa. This is a bad sign, as there has never been an abundance of basketball home grown talent.

Without players, it is tough to be competitive. Mc Caffery is no George Ravling in recruiting, but maybe is his equal in coaching.

The optimist in me says
JBo, shaking off the rust
Baer, looks like the old Baer
Joe, looks dang good for a freshman and needs to be more aggressive
Dailey needs more playing time
Cook looks like he’s improved his rebounding and shot blocking
Garza, looks pretty well healed from his surgery
UMKC already played a game against a good team before this one. That may account for how they performed and how close the game was for much of it.

The pessimist in me says
Moss hasn’t improved much if any. For a guy that wanted to go to the NBA, he might well lose his starting spot.
Cook is trying to do too much as a ball handler, including bringing the ball up court, which is leading to turnovers and pulling him away from the hoop where he is most efficient on offense.
Pemsl is who he is and is around to provide a body for minutes. This is the type of team he would have dropped 10+ on as a freshman.
Too many cases of guys making bad decisions or lazy moves with the ball on offense.
Too many cases of a guy getting left wide open for a three pointer in our zone defense. We overcommit to providing help.
The 3/4 court press and 1/2 court trap weren’t that good tonight. Only a couple of forced turnovers. Our guys just looked sluggish when trying to run it compared to what they looked like in the Aaron White years.

First game pass.

I won’t start to believe Iowa is in trouble until Fran starts to have his tantrums. When that happens his team will follow with their mental lapses as they have had in the past.

I was hoping this team would be a lock in the NCAA tournament entering the last week of the season. But from what I’ve seen this team isn’t on that path. That opinion is not coming from the score but instead of how these guys are trying to execute their game plans. Whether that is still leaving open three point shooters when there is no reason to to having a bad half court offense...all signs of the past.....all not good signs for the future....healthy or not.

Heck even Dolphin and Hansen sounded depressed to be there.

Reactions: RocknRollface
First game pass.

I won’t start to believe Iowa is in trouble until Fran starts to have his tantrums. When that happens his team will follow with their mental lapses as they have had in the past.

I was hoping this team would be a lock in the NCAA tournament entering the last week of the season. But from what I’ve seen this team isn’t on that path. That opinion is not coming from the score but instead of how these guys are trying to execute their game plans. Whether that is still leaving open three point shooters when there is no reason to to having a bad half court offense...all signs of the past.....all not good signs for the future....healthy or not.

Heck even Dolphin and Hansen sounded depressed to be there.

First game of a long season. They’ll get better.

Reactions: EpenesaEpenesa
The positives I saw -

- FT's. 74% with Bear putting up a 1-4. If this team can shoot in the high 70's, that will really help.
- Joe W. Looks like a baller. Very impressed.
- Cook with 3 blocks. Need it to continue.
- Connor. No TO's in 19 minutes.
- Kriener - 8 boards in 16 minutes
- JBo - only 25 minutes, although the game was never really in doubt.
- 64% shooting inside the arc. But, need more shots

That's about it. I'll try to stay away from the ledge until at least the Oregon game.

Reactions: iabcuda
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT