ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Game

Not a great performance, but it was one game, and the opener at that. Next game should be a little tougher, and might be a better indicator going forward, since JBo and Luka just got back.

I was one of about 5k in attendance for the game. My thoughts are if everything went exceedingly well a .500 in the B1G is the ceiling and that might be a heck of a performance to get there. I’m going to enjoy watching but my expectations remain low.

Notes:

1. Joe W is the best player already - by far the most fundamentally sound guy. Has sneaky athleticism (2 hand follow up dunk), shoots, drives, passes, defends and rebounds. Has a high IQ but the issue is his teammates are not there. Very unselfish too.

2. This team is not physical and painfully slow. Does not do enough of the little things to make up for it. No box outs, not making the extra pass on the break, being lazy and helping when there’s no need to help on D leaving a man wide open for an easy basket.

3. The best 7 are Joe W, Cook, JBO, Garza, Dailey, Moss, Kreiner. These players should get the bulk of minutes.

4. Moss is not a 2 guard. He’s a spot up 3 point shooter from the wing. That’s it and what he does the best at times. He and Joe should flip spots or put him on the bench and play Dailey who is the better overall player.

5. Cook - very doubtful he makes it at the next level. What he’s trying to showcase is not really what he’s best at. Freak athlete that’s a tweener at the next level. Best thing he could do is be a beast around the basket.

6. Garza, highly skilled player who is very unathletic and not strong. Works extremely hard to make up for what he lacks. Kreiner looks more confident this year. He’s awkward at times but makes plays.

7. JBO was very rusty as could be expected after missing time. His shooting really helps us but his on ball D is rough.

8. Dailey is a good all-around player that should be getting more minutes. He’s underutilized.

9. Baer lacks confidence and at times is trying to be something he’s not. Get back to being the energy, hustle and garbage guy. Terrible free throw shooter.

10. Connor knows how to play but will not be much of a shooter at this level and is very slow/lacks athleticism. Has good size and plays hard. He’s a back up that should get 10-12 minutes most nights. I’ll be interested to see what happens when he’s playing power 5 competition but he’s better than Brady Elleningson at PG.

11. Pemsl — I’m just not sure what his role is. He is not fundamentally sound in a lot of areas and a below the rim player. He’s got some nasty to him which is good. He’d be my last guy off the bench and only in spots.

What’s interesting is outside of Joe W who is a complete player, many of our guys do something really well but have huge holes or limitations in their games.

I was one of about 5k in attendance for the game. My thoughts are if everything went exceedingly well a .500 in the B1G is the ceiling and that might be a heck of a performance to get there. I’m going to enjoy watching but my expectations remain low.

Notes:

1. Joe W is the best player already - by far the most fundamentally sound guy. Has sneaky athleticism (2 hand follow up dunk), shoots, drives, passes, defends and rebounds. Has a high IQ but the issue is his teammates are not there. Very unselfish too.

2. This team is not physical and painfully slow. Does not do enough of the little things to make up for it. No box outs, not making the extra pass on the break, being lazy and helping when there’s no need to help on D leaving a man wide open for an easy basket.

3. The best 7 are Joe W, Cook, JBO, Garza, Dailey, Moss, Kreiner. These players should get the bulk of minutes.

4. Moss is not a 2 guard. He’s a spot up 3 point shooter from the wing. That’s it and what he does the best at times. He and Joe should flip spots or put him on the bench and play Dailey who is the better overall player.

5. Cook - very doubtful he makes it at the next level. What he’s trying to showcase is not really what he’s best at. Freak athlete that’s a tweener at the next level. Best thing he could do is be a beast around the basket.

6. Garza, highly skilled player who is very unathletic and not strong. Works extremely hard to make up for what he lacks. Kreiner looks more confident this year. He’s awkward at times but makes plays.

7. JBO was very rusty as could be expected after missing time. His shooting really helps us but his on ball D is rough.

8. Dailey is a good all-around player that should be getting more minutes. He’s underutilized.

9. Baer lacks confidence and at times is trying to be something he’s not. Get back to being the energy, hustle and garbage guy. Terrible free throw shooter.

10. Connor knows how to play but will not be much of a shooter at this level and is very slow/lacks athleticism. Has good size and plays hard. He’s a back up that should get 10-12 minutes most nights. I’ll be interested to see what happens when he’s playing power 5 competition but he’s better than Brady Elleningson at PG.

11. Pemsl — I’m just not sure what his role is. He is not fundamentally sound in a lot of areas and a below the rim player. He’s got some nasty to him which is good. He’d be my last guy off the bench and only in spots.

What’s interesting is outside of Joe W who is a complete player, many of our guys do something really well but have huge holes or limitations in their games.
Pretty spot on. Your last comment sums up the whole narrative that they are "talented" or "deep". They have a team of guys who on the whole are about the same. They don't have 4 or 5 guys who have separated themselves from the rest. This is why Fran plays so many guys. He doesn't know who his best 8 guys are.

It was only the first game but I am still a little concerned about numerous things I saw during the game. I get tired of watching quards break down our defense especially in transition. Basketball 101, stop the ball in transition. So annoying. I do love JBo and he is an asset to this team but he can’t stay in front of his man....he is still getting healthy so I will reserve my judgement for later in the season. It’s not just JBo, let’s be clear, this team may have trouble with guard play again this year.

I think Tyler Cook is a hell of a talent but I hope he worked on the skills he needs to succeed in the NBA in the offseason. Now that the season started he shouldn’t be working on his handles or shooting in games unless he has shown improvement in practice. Iowa isn’t his personal training camp for the NBA. If looks good in practice, fine, if not then reserve skill building for practice.

Our rebounding has to improve big time. Put a body on someone and box out. I saw effort during the game but when you don’t box out properly you give the other team opportunities.

Everyone wants to shoot the three. I just don’t get it. I am ok with bigs taking three’s but let’s not pretend we are a guard dominated team that can shoot lights out. You have an advantage inside so use it. The bigs all wanna play in the perimeter and then we get burned with rebounding and second chance opportunities.

I really don’t like the way we sub either and think we should ride our horses a little more. Who knows, that may work itself as the season goes on. I like Fran and I am willing to roll with it I guess...what choice do we have.

I am anxious to watch the season play out and I think it will be a fun year. Joe is going to be a lot of fun to watch as long as he is at Iowa. I agree with the people who say he’s the most complete player we have. He belongs and will only get better.

Notes:

Best overall analysis I have seen. Could not agree more on Moss. He is one of our biggest issues in that the opportunity cost of hm taking up the 2G spot and generally underproducing is a big bogey.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT