ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Game

So why is Nunge redshirting ? We could have used him tonight

He needs some time to develop and there's too much talent in front of him,... I'm surprised he's doing it but I think it's a good decision on his part....

He needs some time to develop and there's too much talent in front of him,... I'm surprised he's doing it but I think it's a good decision on his part....

I wouldn't say there's too much talent in front of him, but overall redshirting will be the right thing for him. I would prefer he play all of Pemsl's minutes, but really when you are talking about the 9th or 10th guy playing 10-12 minutes a game it's not going to matter all that much.

I do like that there is just 10 guys available so that Fran doesn't feel like the 11-12 guys on the bench need to get in the game or play. If you want to play, be among the best 8-9 players.

Here are my thoughts:
Negatives: Cook taking jump shots is stupid. Every jump shot he takes, he should run 5 stairs. He's bad at it. Bad!!!!!!!!! He's also a bad passer, no feel for the game when it comes to finding the open man. No look, out of bounds passes are highschool crap. He's good in the open court, but often out of control. Same for Moss on the passing. His passing ability on a scale of 1-10 is about a 2. Whole bench was just very average, maybe below average.
Positives: Weiskamp is likely one of our top 2 players right now, and will help immensely. Maybe even our best player from a skill standpoint. He can at least shoot. Jobo and Garza probably still slowed by some injuries, and I'm putting these under the positives as there just weren't that many.

This team as a whole is so poor at creating their own shots and letting guys drive right by them. I'm usually a positive poster, but frankly I'm not looking forward to this bball season after watching last night. I'm praying they prove me wrong.

Watched the first half and went to sleep. We at least won, but not very convincingly. Living in Florida,, I had to look to the internet to see the Iowa roster. I was amazed to see that the majority of players are from Iowa. This is a bad sign, as there has never been an abundance of basketball home grown talent.

Without players, it is tough to be competitive. Mc Caffery is no George Ravling in recruiting, but maybe is his equal in coaching.
The women are much more exciting to watch- fast games, fewer timeouts,

First of all it's the first game of the year... so as expected a little out of sync and mistakes are common but...

1) We do not have a defensive stopper...the guards for UMKC were able to penetrate and move at will.
2) We did not show we can protect the 3 ball... lots of open shots outside the arch.
3) We looked stagnant offensively no movement lots of standing around .
4) Although we have the size our big men play too soft constantly putting the ball on the floor , not posting up strong, not going strong to the basket and not being aggressive rebounders.

So in summary: we look like the same team from last year with the same weaknesses.

The positive .....

Joe Wiescamp has a nice stroke and plays within himself and can only get better.

That's it... didn't see many positives tonight but it's early yet.

What I can't stand is the way Fran manages subs; quit with the dam hockey line changes! I understand wanting to keep fresh legs on the floor at all times because he claims this is a 'running team,' but sh*t, sub 1-2 guys at a time and keep some consistency on the floor. Did we even see JBo and Connor on the floor at the same time? Wasn't that the whole damn point was to free up JBo for a shot? I thought we would have seen that a whole lot last night, barely remember seeing it at all.

I just don't understand the Fran offense...there is no flow to it at all. They play a motion offense, but it looks like the NBA out there but without the skill set to do anything. They set nothing up, and with the length on this team why are we not seeing the high post more often. They're not doing anything to fool anyone. And I'm sorry...but I do NOT see a 4 star recruit in Connor even a little bit. I get he's still basically a freshman, but I'm not sure I want to take that ride with him. We NEED NEED NEED a guard that can create.

No, I'm a grown man, retired, a vet, and I don't think it's respectful to call gentlemen you don't know, and are probably your elder, 'dude'. It's part of the disrespectful 'millennial' (and younger) thing that I don't care for.

I'm a vet and also technically a millennial (early one). Also a grown man, as I'd like to think (does two kids and a really good job make me that?). As far as I can remember calling someone 'dude' is not a derogatory statement, you're making it that way.

For everyone else...please don't call me dude because I'm a vet and a grown man; its a younger thing and I probably won't like it.

Go Hawks.

Some of you really need to lighten up.

That being said, its pretty hard to read anything into one game. Saw some positives and few negatives. We will know a lot about this team by December.

Reactions: Jprimus
This team has the tools to be an NCAA tournament team, but what we saw last night was not encouraging.

Positives:
  • Wieskamp is the real deal. He is the 2nd best shooter on the team, has good size and athleticism. He instantly makes us better.
  • Kriener played well. He had 8 rebounds in 16 minutes. He has good size and athleticism and I think he could be a major contributor this year. Sometimes the game gets too fast for him which makes him prone to turnovers, but he has all the tools to be a solid player.
  • Cook had 3 blocks. He needs to be a force in protecting the paint for our defense to be effective.
  • McCaffery did a good job running the offense. 3 assists, no turnovers, and 7 points is a solid outing. At this point, he is not an offensive weapon as he really doesn't look for his shot. I don't think we need him to be a primary scorer, and I think he understands his role pretty well.
  • Dailey had a solid night. I think he should start over Moss.
Negatives:
  • Bohannon did not look like he was moving very well. 4 turnovers and he didn't add much to the offense. I expect he'll play much better than this going forward, but we need him to be at least an average defender and I'm not sure he has that in him.
  • Moss was MIA. He has a number of tools that could make him a great player, and we see that every now and then. However, it just seems like he will never be a reliable player because we never know what we're going to get. He hasn't been an overly instinctual player from the moment he stepped on campus, and I don't see that ever developing. He's a good shooter, has good size, good athleticism, but he seems too comfortable being invisible on the court.
  • It seems like Cook is intent on proving he can play on the perimeter. Maybe that could help his NBA stock, but he's most useful to this team playing in the paint.
  • While I thought Connor McCaffery did a good controlling the offense, he had 0 rebounds in 19 minutes. With his size (6-5) and strength, he should be a good rebounding guard, but that didn't show last night.
  • 16 turnovers for Iowa compared to 12 for UMKC. If we lose the turnover battle to UMKC, it could be ugly against quality competition.
  • Defensive rotation didn't look any better than it was last year. With Bohannon at PG, we're going to have to get used to dealing with dribble penetration, but defensive rotation has never been a strong suit while McCaffery has been here. We've had good defensive teams while he's been here, but that was largely due to the fact that guys like Gesell and Clemmons were pretty strong perimeter defenders.

Based on what I saw last night, it looks like another season finishing in the bottom half of the Big 10. It's only one game, and I do think there is talent on this team. Hopefully they will play better against tougher competition.

The one thing I continually want to head butt a knife over is when their guards drive and we’re in good defensive position we always leave the open 3 shooter to help on the guy driving.. make them toss up a crap two point shot fading away over leaving the wide open 3 point shooter. For the love of everything!!!
Memories of Jeff Horner for me after that post. :0

Your point guard is rarely going to get many rebounds unless you want to give up points in transition.

I thought Connor got more assertive in the second half and had several good passes into the post. He’s never been super quick but he has always used his size to get in the lane and finish well. Plus he was a strong ball handler under pressure from smaller guards last night.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
The one thing I continually want to head butt a knife over is when their guards drive and we’re in good defensive position we always leave the open 3 shooter to help on the guy driving.. make them toss up a crap two point shot fading away over leaving the wide open 3 point shooter. For the love of everything!!!

Comes down to fundamentals. Gotta be able to help and get back by staying in a stance.

Another disrespectful millennial running his mouth. And another keyboard warrior talking to a real warrior, a combat infantry vet, like he's some tough guy. I couldn't care less what you believe to be 'cool'.
Pretty amazing. I make a reasonable post about what I thought of the game, wasn't directed at anyone or in response to anyone's post. One of you twits responds very disrespectfully and when I point out that his response wasn't called for and disrespectful, another one of you young punks comes on and defends that behavior. And we wonder what is wrong in the country? Poor parenting, and it's obvious with you two. Run your mouths some more. I'll just block you. I don't have time for punks like yourself.

I originally thought this was Joe's parents but it's seems more like an Uncle or grandparent. I love how he has to tell everyone how he's the real warrior. But yet his battle tactic is to block people. My guess is he never saw action and if he did, he used other people as blockers.

For people complaining about the line changes, the one early in the 2nd half was needed. The entire first string let the lead evaporate to almost nothing. The backups came in, played harder than the starters to stop the bleeding, then rebuilt the lead.

I've seen NBA coaches do something similar when the starters are slacking off. Phil Jackson did this in the clinching game of the 1992 finals when he pulled most of the starters including Jordan. He ran the backups and Pippen out on the floor while the Bulls were down by double digits at the start of the fourth quarter and ended up winning the game.

Having said that, it shouldn't be a common occurrence. Hopefully he only uses it when he absolutely needs to send a message to the starters and hopefully last night was the only time this season that that will happen.

Cook had 5 assists and just 1 TO' and shot 4-7 after avg'ing 56.6% which led the team in shooting percentage. yeah he is a lousy shooter. somebody is definetly lacking in the mentality department on Cook.

Garza was just cleared to practice on October 24th. Bohannon just got cleared to play Monday of this week. don't know how or why anybody would expect either one of these 2 to play at 100%

Cook had 5 assists and just 1 TO' and shot 4-7 after avg'ing 56.6% which led the team in shooting percentage. yeah he is a lousy shooter. somebody is definetly lacking in the mentality department on Cook.

Those are good numbers. Would love to see him punish people in the paint more because he has that ability and is extremely tough to handle in there.

agreed. What I liked was when Cook took the ball to the basket and then kicked it out to JW for the three. We need more of that. JW was able to get himself open for an easy pass.

Those are good numbers. Would love to see him punish people in the paint more because he has that ability and is extremely tough to handle in there.
IMO Cook looking to pass will improve his game and be great for the team. There were times last year that he refused to pass the ball when he was double (or triple) teamed. JW will be on opponents scouting reports, and they won't be able to sag on the interior hopefully.

Truly uninspiring opener in just about every way possible, with the exception that Weiskamp does look good shooting the open three. It's just one game, but it wasn't much to get excited about it. After all, Loyola of Chicago beat UMKC 76-45.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest watching the game instead of just looking at stats. Tyler was 0-3 on jump shots last night, 4-4 on layups. 57% is NOT a good FG% for a PF. He had 5 assists to two turnover. He had a no look pass that flew out of bounds. It was a bad pass that shouldn't have happened, especially because it was a pass to the outside, where nobody was on the Iowa guy. I'm guessing you were looking in the mirror with your last mentality comment.

I suggest watching the game instead of just looking at stats. Tyler was 0-3 on jump shots last night, 4-4 on layups. 57% is NOT a good FG% for a PF. He had 5 assists to two turnover. He had a no look pass that flew out of bounds. It was a bad pass that shouldn't have happened, especially because it was a pass to the outside, where nobody was on the Iowa guy. I'm guessing you were looking in the mirror with your last mentality comment.
1st game and Cook was not perfect OMFG. BUT Cook had 8 rebounds and 3 blocks something he not known for doing, assist are not his main forte.
12 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists and 3 blocks with his 2 TO's. quick execute him.
JBo 2-6 1-5 from 3, 4 rebounds, 3 assists. 4 TO's

maybe you want him removed from the team? or better yet lets just shut the BB program down and NEVER restart it again.

1st game and Cook was not perfect OMFG. BUT Cook had 8 rebounds and 3 blocks something he not known for doing, assist are not his main forte.
12 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists and 3 blocks with his 2 TO's. quick execute him.

maybe you want him removed from the team? or better yet lets just shut the BB program down and NEVER restart it again.
Oops, didn't realize who you were until this post. I usually just ignore you after your first post. Good day. Keep fighting the good fight. Keep shooting jump shots Tyler, it's great for the team, because Kilroy says so.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Oops, didn't realize who you were until this post. I usually just ignore you after your first post. Good day. Keep fighting the good fight. Keep shooting jump shots Tyler, it's great for the team, because Kilroy says so.
HMMM the NBA experts on the draft has him as a solid 2nd round pick and if takes more of a leadership role and leads Iowa back to the NCAA's they project him to be a 1st round pick. 1 of the things to becoming a 1st round draft pick Cook needs to improve his range out past 17'. but hey you know more than NBA Scouts whose job is to pick players for the NBA and instruct them on what they need to do.

quick go tell Fran and Cook you don't approve of what Cook is doing.

HMMM the NBA experts on the draft has him as a solid 2nd round pick and if takes more of a leadership role and leads Iowa back to the NCAA's they project him to be a 1st round pick. 1 of the things to becoming a 1st round draft pick Cook needs to improve his range out past 17'. but hey you know more than NBA Scouts whose job is to pick players for the NBA and instruct them on what they need to do.

Lol, dude come on. Tyler isn’t playing in the nba, he’s not a second round pick, and most definitely isnt a first round pick, Ever!!!!!!Personally, I’d rather not see him hurt Iowa by bricking jump shot after jump shot, he needs to stick to dunking and layups.

Yep, can't please anyone on this board. If Iowa had won by 50, most on this board would be complaining on how the opposition was bad and we need to schedule better teams.
I thought UMKC was just the team that Iowa needed to play because you can't practice against speed and quickness like UMKC had. You could tell that Iowa was concentrating on playing defense and because of that, their offensive struggled. I'm OK with that.
UMKC is a better team then most on here give them credit for, had already played their opener on Tuesday and in a more hostile environment then Carver.
But, please continue to say crap about the Hawks because it makes you think you're basketball smart. They won a game that they struggled against, there were more positives then negatives. and yes Moss didn't perform as you all would like, but there will be plenty of games that he will, and there will be other games that players will struggle to perform up to you're expectations.
I'm sure they too will feel the wrath of all you internet experts also.
This was just the first game of the season. Can't wait to here from all of you after each and everyone of the remaining 30 plus games, what a treat we have to look foreword to.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! First round pick.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! First round pick.
people were sayinfg White and Marble WOULD NEVER get drafted and yet they both were 2nd round NBA picks with Marble making the team. sorry but this came from a projected Draft board that Cook was a solid 2nd round NBA pick and what he needed to do to become a 1st round pick.

please provide proof of being a NBA Scout for a NBA Team

Not sure if Cook is ready to be Magic Johnson

Put him on the block for the love of god!
He needs to understand that when the NBA said you need to learn to pass and have more assists they meant pass the ball out when 2 or 3 guys collapse on you. Not that they thought he has going to become a PG.

Reactions: RocknRollface
I give Fran credit, he’s letting Tyler try.

I’m sure Tyler didn’t say “I’m back for another year. Post me up, Coach!”

Walleye70 Kevin Boyle was terrible offensively. Connor M is WAY better offensively.

Pemsl 14 min, 2 TO, 1 assist, 2 reb

He has transformed himself into a lean, below the rim PF with inside skills. I don't think getting smaller/less bulky was the right move
Connor is the same size as PG Nick Babb in Ames and he averaged 7 rebounds a game last year.

Not to mention Jeff Horner was good rebounder at pg at Iowa. NBA/college past great PGs like Magic/Jason Kidd were great rebounding PGs or more recently Lonzo Ball out of UCLA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT