ADVERTISEMENT

Touchy subject here but do we want ISU to win as many games as they can?

JerseyCityHawki

HB Heisman
Oct 28, 2019
Hackensack, New Jersey
I am obviously not from Iowa just went to school there however I understand the deep hatred between both programs… I don’t have that deep hate for them and usually root for them if it doesn’t effect Iowa’s season but I would think as long as they keep on winning and looking good it would benefit Iowa (as long as they keep on winning) be more beneficial for Iowa?

As long as Iowa keep winning and they keep on winning I would have to root for them to do well and with the schedule they have I am maybe seeing one loss but again it’s ISU and they find a way to fook up when they’re supposed to win easily.

Reactions: Torg and desihawk
I am obviously not from Iowa just went to school there however I understand the deep hatred between both programs… I don’t have that deep hate for them and usually root for them if it doesn’t effect Iowa’s season but I would think as long as they keep on winning and looking good it would benefit Iowa (as long as they keep on winning) be more beneficial for Iowa?

As long as Iowa keep winning and they keep on winning I would have to root for them to do well and with the schedule they have I am maybe seeing one loss but again it’s ISU and they find a way to fook up when they’re supposed to win easily.

Before the season I thought Iowa could be a 9-3 or even 10-2 team. But I did not think we would lose the ISU game, a game we all know the hawks and coaches frittered away. So that makes me thing Iowa will have 3 or 4 loses. So to me looking at the hawks getting into the CFP I think those chances are much lower now than after the ISU loss.

I think Kirk's teams are known for stubbing their toes a couple times and they already did that once against ISU. I assume we will be 2-2 after OSU but a crazy upset by Iowa is not out of the question.

So the remaining schedule has some tough games although none of the opponents are highly rated etc. But the hawks have to play almost perfect to win all those games and that is tough to do in football.

So to answer your question, I dont think ISU's ranking and record is going to mean much for Iowa by the beginning of Dec.

Yes we do. Our only chance at making the playoff is them winning the big12 then us playing well in a close game next Saturday.

Now if we get blown out in Columbus then go ahead and root for ISU to lose as many games as possible.
this-deathmonkeyxl.gif

(but sadly I think the "if" can be replaced with a "when" in that sentence)

Reactions: ButtersHawk
Yes.

As long as Iowa remains in the race for the playoff, however unlikely (and it's unlikely but not that unfathomable), I'm going to root for other results that increase our chances of making it.

ISU having a good season, and our loss being seen as a respectable 1-point loss to good team, rather than huh they lost at home to Iowa State, could be the difference between a 10-2 Iowa getting in the playoff and missing out.

It's sad that many posters on here would rather root for ISU to lose than have a good season so that our resume looks better for potential post-season options.
You have that backwards. It's sad that many posters are relying on ISU having a good season to give us some hypothetical long shot chance at a playoff slot. It's not going to make any difference.

Even if Iowa finishes 10-3 and its only losses are to B1G champion Ohio State (in regular season and B1G championship game) and Big 12 champion Iowa State (it hurt to write that), I don't believe that Iowa's strength of other wins would be enough to finish in the top 12 of the committee rankings.

But, make no mistake, unless Iowa upsets Ohio State in regular season and finishes 11-2 (losing to Ohio State in B1G championship), Iowa's only chance to make the playoffs is if ISU wins the Big 12.

From a bigger picture perspective, it is far more annoying to me that, in year 1 of the new landscape, we are seeing how much more difficult it will be for Iowa to make the CFP than it will be for ISU.

No. They should lose every game in every sport always.

This.

Iowa isn't making the playoff, so ISU winning and helping our SOS is of no value.

I'd rather them lose and appear less appealing to any prospect looking at both schools; that and I enjoy watching them get their hopes up only to have their dreams crushed, it happens often and it is wonderful.

Even if Iowa finishes 10-3 and its only losses are to B1G champion Ohio State (in regular season and B1G championship game) and Big 12 champion Iowa State (it hurt to write that), I don't believe that Iowa's strength of other wins would be enough to finish in the top 12 of the committee rankings.

But, make no mistake, unless Iowa upsets Ohio State in regular season and finishes 11-2 (losing to Ohio State in B1G championship), Iowa's only chance to make the playoffs is if ISU wins the Big 12.

From a bigger picture perspective, it is far more annoying to me that, in year 1 of the new landscape, we are seeing how much more difficult it will be for Iowa to make the CFP than it will be for ISU.
It’s probably a moot point anyways, but if Iowa beats Ohio State in the regular season and then loses to them in the big 10 championship and finishes 11-2 I almost guarantee they’re in the playoff. With or without Iowa State winning the big 12.

The chances it really matters are minuscule. The only way it matters at all is if Iowa goes exactly 10-2. There is probably a better chance they are both in contention for that twelfth spot.

Those dick warts can lose every game.

It’s more important for future teams on the schedule to play well, and Iowa can have more quality wins. They need teams like Nebraska, Washington, and Maryland to win 8 or 9 games. That, or just beat Ohio State.

Last edited:
Yup. They have no big money NIL spenders in the Big XII compared to the Big Ten.

Big XII has parity and an auto ticket to playoff. It’s actually a great setup for their member schools.

The Cy-Hawk game is probably one of the least-impactful (not to be confused with meaningless) games on either team's schedule. It's a non-conference game in early September, and both teams play like ass more often than not (hence the unofficial rivalry name, el ássico). I think a lot of the pent-up frustration Iowa fans have toward ISU is that while the Cyclones rarely "ruin" their season, they have a tendency to shit the bed and may only win one or two more games the rest of the way, while Iowa reaches bowl eligibility with weeks to spare.

No, I don't think this year's ISU team is anything special either, but I also don't think they're going to revert to their traditional cellar-dweller form either as the Big 12 is a load of "meh".

That will always be the case. The big 12 is weak.

Reactions: MitchLL
It's funny to me the pains some fans go to, to either overemphasize or completely devalue this game. Buncha children on here.

Some very mature responses here. Bonzo I agree with what you say, to say it's long shot is putting it lightly.
For me ISU is still a Iowa school, if not playing Iowa I hope they do well. Until next year lose the "little brother" crap. What was the score THIS year? I guess I'll never understand the hate thing for ISU. It's a football game played by kids!!!

• Haha
Reactions: iahawks10
Yes.

As long as Iowa remains in the race for the playoff, however unlikely (and it's unlikely but not that unfathomable), I'm going to root for other results that increase our chances of making it.

ISU having a good season, and our loss being seen as a respectable 1-point loss to good team, rather than huh they lost at home to Iowa State, could be the difference between a 10-2 Iowa getting in the playoff and missing out.
I think that you are exactly right in this thinking. But here is the rub, all of that revolves around the key numbers of 10-2. I don't gamble any more........but a bet against that happening, even at 10-1 odds, would probably bring me out of retirement.

If you dislike ISU, but you are conflicted about rooting for them because you think their success could help a 10-2 Iowa team, well I say go ahead and cheer for their demise.......don't put yourself through that conflict for nothing!!

Go Hawks!!

I think if we beat or play OSU tough we want them to keep winning. If we lose to OSU by 10 ore more then I think our playoff hopes are done. And if that's the case, I'd like to see us finish the season ranked ahead of ISU so I would want them to start losing enough games to see them drop down to probably the receiving votes category. Just enough to where they aren't ranked but our loss to them doesn't seem like a terrible loss.

It's sad that many posters on here would rather root for ISU to lose than have a good season so that our resume looks better for potential post-season options.

Nah. We aren't jawja. Regional rivalries are what fuel mid teams. I hope all our rivals get their shit kicked in

Reactions: pink shizzle
Cheering for ISU to help one season is short-sighted tom foolery!!

We don't want ISU competing against recruiting the best in state and regional talent.

We have to compete against people like wisconsin which have a more populous state and zero d1 competition.

Screw ISU I hope they lose everything forever and any potential recruit laughs at the thought of attending there over Iowa.

Cheering for ISU to help one season is short-sighted tom foolery!!

We don't want ISU competing against recruiting the best in state and regional talent.

We have to compete against people like wisconsin which have a more populous state and zero d1 competition.

Screw ISU I hope they lose everything forever and any potential recruit laughs at the thought of attending there over Iowa.
Hayden himself spoke of the importance of dominating your state first. Keep 'em in their place. The chances that a playoff berth for Iowa will come down to whether ISU goes 11-1 or 9-3 is the longest of long shots. The wins matter more than the losses. I'm sure as hell not going to pull for ISU based on it. The only time I could envision that would be something like this:

Iowa is hovering around #12 in the playoff race and ISU is playing the other team hovering around #12 in the final game. (KState...let's say). Then, I'd want ISU to win. (can't believe I just typed that)

Last edited:
Reactions: FireBrianFerentz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT