ADVERTISEMENT

Transfers I'd Like To See

kcgolfer

HR Legend
Sep 23, 2003
Ellingson - gives us nothing. Thanks for playing.

Pemsl - bad defense, bad passer, no handling skills, only plays with left hand and is a turnover machine

Wagner - would love to see give football a try. Actually plays decent defense at times so if he stays I won't be unhappy.

Fran - I know, I know. I can dream can't I? The big question is can he recruit the athletes we need?

We need 3 out of those 4 to move on. I would settle for 2 of the 4. We need better athletes with better basketball skills and instincts (I.Q.)

Pemsl - bad defense, bad passer, no handling skills, only plays with left hand and is a turnover machine

Wagner - would love to see give football a try. Actually plays decent defense at times so if he stays I won't be unhappy.

Fran - I know, I know. I can dream can't I? The big question is can he recruit the athletes we need?

We need 3 out of those 4 to move on. I would settle for 2 of the 4. We need better athletes with better basketball skills and instincts (I.Q.)
I would settle for one if it meant getting a quick/slashing point guard.

Reactions: skydog0784

Sure, just what we need, more "phenomenal" players that Fran thinks he needs to stuff into a game. Fran subs like he is trying to set an NCAA record for substitutions in a game.

If one player leaves, does that scholarship go to Frederick or can it be filled with somebody else?

I agree on the players. Coach Fran is going nowhere.
Looking at the remaining roster:
JBo is one of the most gutty players I have seen in awhile. He's a clutch shot maker and I love his game. He needs to work on his foot speed and defense.
Moss need consistency and confidence. He should be putting up 200 shots a day and working on his ball handling skills. He has the athletic ability to be a very good player.
Baer: I would like for him to go back to the bench and play like the 6th man of the year.
Cook was a beast this year, but still needs to work on his free throws and defense.
Garza: love this kid, get stronger and continue to work on his game.
Nunge: could have used a redshirt. Needs to get stronger and get a killer instinct. Plays to passive.
Kreiner: needs to be playing more. I loved what he showed in the BTT. Work on his free throw shooting.
Dailey: continue to get stronger, keep working on his handles. I think will benefit from not having to be back up PG next year.
Connor will back up Jbo at PG and I can see them playing together in the back court.
Fredrick: Idon't know much about the kid, but will be a upgrade for Ellingson.
Weiskamp will be either starter at the 2 or 3. Instant upgrade from what we had this year.
Fran needs to find a grad transfer pg and then will have DJ in 2019.
I would still like to see another athletic wing slasher/scorer either Juco or Grad.
I think the future looks very bright and wouldn't be surprised if we are a 20 win team next year.

This team went 4-14 in a down conference that at best will get 5 teams in the tournament. Big changes are needed. The first three on your list are players that really need to move on so that Iowa has a chance to even put together a decent team next year.
Newsflash... a majority of the league was crap. Our 4th place finisher is on the bubble.

I actually like Pemsl as a player given the right lineup. He should not be playing the 5 position, but there were several times this year he was forced to play the 5 position in the 2-3 zone, and he simply isn't big/athletic enough to be the rim protector. However, when he plays the 4 position alongside Garza or Kriener, I think he can be a valuable player as he has been a pretty good rebounder and efficient scorer.

I actually like Pemsl as a player given the right lineup. He should not be playing the 5 position, but there were several times this year he was forced to play the 5 position in the 2-3 zone, and he simply isn't big/athletic enough to be the rim protector. However, when he plays the 4 position alongside Garza or Kriener, I think he can be a valuable player as he has been a pretty good rebounder and efficient scorer.
I don’t think Pemsl should play much going forward. If Cook leaves and another; I would go small like so many teams. Connor and a new guy at point, JBo backed up by Moss or Dailey at 2, Moss or Dailey at the 3 backed up by Baer; Joe W at 3rd wing backed up by Nunge, and Garza backed up by Kreiner at post. If Fredrick is as good as some say, he moves ahead of either Moss or Dailey. Very Michigan like lineup

Reactions: kcgolfer
I'm the opposite. I do not care for Pemsl's game. He is a turnover machine with no upside on offense. Like a bull in a china shop. He needs to learn to play D and get himself some offensive game. Can't have him not shooting when open. Do something to learn to jump. He has the worst vertical ever. Just not a fan of his play. Fran brings him and Wagner in at the same time which is stupid. Iowa is playing 3 against 5 cuz neither one will shoot. Drives me crazy with some of his line ups and he does it when they have a lead and the next thing you know, we are down

I think there is more of a roll for Wagner if Cook leaves. If he's surrounded by offense, Wagner can very useful as an athletic garbage man who moves the ball, avoids turnovers, and plays good defense. He will have unique athleticism for this team next year.

Assuming Ellingson and Cook leave, we should be trying to find an athletic guard with length who can penetrate and defend the ball. If we get that, the rest of the roster slots pretty decently even without Cook.

Agree & he's also a decent passer.

Dailey and Nunge too please

Every team has 3-4 bad players that shouldn't play. The difference is Fran plays those guys, and usually all at the same time. If they leave Fran will just bring in 3-4 other mediocre players and play them.

I'm the opposite. I do not care for Pemsl's game. He is a turnover machine with no upside on offense. Like a bull in a china shop. He needs to learn to play D and get himself some offensive game. Can't have him not shooting when open. Do something to learn to jump. He has the worst vertical ever. Just not a fan of his play. Fran brings him and Wagner in at the same time which is stupid. Iowa is playing 3 against 5 cuz neither one will shoot. Drives me crazy with some of his line ups and he does it when they have a lead and the next thing you know, we are down
I would think you might have a little respect for a guy that is lucky to be walking normal after the surgeries he's had.
He needs to be playing for a smaller program where he can play the 5 like his skills fit. He just doesn't have the athleticism he had before injuries. When he gets into the game he's trying so hard he out thinks himself and tends to throw the ball away.And if he would get down a good midrange shot it would help the rest of his game a lot more.

Reactions: kcgolfer
Fran is a lost cause and so is this team. Cook is gone. Without him, the least athletic team in the big ten will be even less athletic next year. More white combo guards who won't be able to guard anybody and two more years of watching Moss underwhelm. It's quite possible we will start 5 white guys, which is too sad to be funny. Not sure what the record for fewest dunks by a P5 team is, but I would bet money we shatter it next season.

With Cook, this team had a chance to be an NIT contender next season. Without him, Iowa basketball will return to the Lickliter era. Fran tied the record for most conference losses this season. Pretty safe bet he breaks the record next season.

Reactions: Remy-Hancock
I would think you might have a little respect for a guy that is lucky to be walking normal after the surgeries he's had.
He needs to be playing for a smaller program where he can play the 5 like his skills fit. He just doesn't have the athleticism he had before injuries. When he gets into the game he's trying so hard he out thinks himself and tends to throw the ball away.And if he would get down a good midrange shot it would help the rest of his game a lot more.

So Pemsl can't develop a 10-foot jumper or learn how to use his right hand because of injuries he had in high school? Credit the kid for perseverance, but he clearly isn't putting the necessary work in to get better at the college level. Another stellar offer by Fran.

Reactions: Remy-Hancock
I hope TC thinks logically about what he will have next year. He, Brasi, and JB are a pretty good trio. Combined with JW, CM, and backcourt sans BE there is strong talent but it must play d........

I think Cook is tired of losing and knows the talent gap between Iowa and other teams is significant. Hard to get excited about adding Connor, Frederick and Weiskamp given how bad the team is. The "team" is 3 guys (Cook, Bohannon, and Garza). No point in being the best player on a last place team (again). People who think Iowa will be fine without him are as delusional as Fran thinking we didn't need a PG this year.

Reactions: Burbank84
I think Cook is tired of losing and knows the talent gap between Iowa and other teams is significant. Hard to get excited about adding Connor, Frederick and Weiskamp given how bad the team is. The "team" is 3 guys (Cook, Bohannon, and Garza). No point in being the best player on a last place team (again). People who think Iowa will be fine without him are as delusional as Fran thinking we didn't need a PG this year.

Agree -- if the most talented player transfers, and Fran follows through on no staff changes, they'll be in the bottom tier of the Big Ten next season.

If Cook leaves, the ONLY hope for better is Fran gets his head out of the clouds and does a Tim Miles. Embrace he needs to upgrade talent and get a juco and / or grad transfer in here assuming we have at least 2 spots or realize he will be the one being asked about his future at Iowa after the BTT next season. Another season like this and he has to get canned.

so you're basically saying the same thing except i should have been nicer. ok.

I would like to see Kriener paired with Garza. Both Euro type bigs. Nice High low option. Not flashy but efficient.

Yes, and if he stays, Cook should play the 3. A lineup of Bohannon, Moss/Joe W., Cook, Kriener and Garza is very tough to me.

JBo is one of the most gutty players I have seen in awhile. He's a clutch shot maker and I love his game. He needs to work on his foot speed and defense.
Moss need consistency and confidence. He should be putting up 200 shots a day and working on his ball handling skills. He has the athletic ability to be a very good player.
Baer: I would like for him to go back to the bench and play like the 6th man of the year.
Cook was a beast this year, but still needs to work on his free throws and defense.
Nunge: could have used a redshirt. Needs to get stronger and get a killer instinct. Plays to passive.
Kreiner: needs to be playing more. I loved what he showed in the BTT. Work on his free throw shooting.
Dailey: continue to get stronger, keep working on his handles. I think will benefit from not having to be back up PG next year.
Connor will back up Jbo at PG and I can see them playing together in the back court.
Weiskamp will be either starter at the 2 or 3. Instant upgrade from what we had this year.
I would still like to see another athletic wing slasher/scorer either Juco or Grad.
I think the future looks very bright and wouldn't be surprised if we are a 20 win team next year.

Fran needs to find a smaller guard ~6'1-6'3 with super quicks that can handle, get to the rim and defend....an athlete...like a Washpun as an example....there is no one on the roster that fits that description, yet every team we face has several guys like that.

Fran has not shown much recruiting ability in spring....I think we only really need one single scholly to open up because Fran doesn't have much capability to find multiple replacements.

Hopefully there is no bombshell like a Cook transfer. That would put the program on a lickliter trajectory.

From what I heard next scholarship open goes to connor.
"I told you the minute a scholarship was available," Frederick remembers McCaffery saying, "I would let you know about it."

Fredrick, a 6-foot-4 senior shooting guard, had committed to the Hawkeyes in August. He knew there might not be a scholarship for him as a freshman. But when junior point guard Christian Williams elected to transfer last week, McCaffery gave his open 2018 scholarship to Fredrick.

I don't think Bohannon can "improve" his foot speed. I think you either are gifted with it or you're not. Maybe work on better positioning or sliding his feet on D.

Fran needs to find a smaller guard ~6'1-6'3 with super quicks that can handle, get to the rim and defend....an athlete...like a Washpun as an example....there is no one on the roster that fits that description, yet every team we face has several guys like that.

Fran has not shown much recruiting ability in spring....I think we only really need one single scholly to open up because Fran doesn't have much capability to find multiple replacements.

Hopefully there is no bombshell like a Cook transfer. That would put the program on a lickliter trajectory.

Exactly we need a decent size combo guard that can defend, penetrate, and share ball handling with JBO. The kick Moss/Dailey/wieskamp into a death battle for minutes at the 3 spot. Dailey is the closest thing we have now, but a more natural combo guard would we ideal. It's really our only missing piece.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT