ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Cook

I dont understand how Cook and Uthoff arent on NBA rosters. Cook will surely get picked up. I think that ship has sailed for J-U.

Good news

Official Detroit Summer League Roster​

• Saddiq Bey, F, 6-foot-7, Villanova
  • Tyler Cook, F, 6-foot-8, Iowa
  • Cade Cunningham, G/F, 6-foot-6, OK State
  • Sekou Doumbouya, F, 6-foot-9, Guinea
  • Blake Francis, G, 6-foot-0, Richmond
  • Luka Garza, C, 6-foot-11, Iowa
  • Killian Hayes, G, 6-foot-5, France
  • Grant Jerrett, F/C, 6-foot-10, Arizona
  • Saben Lee, G, 6-foot-2, Vanderbilt
  • Spencer Littleson, G, 6-foot-4, Toledo
  • Isaiah Livers (OUT), F, 6-foot-7, Michigan
  • John Petty Jr., G/F, 6-foot-5, Alabama
  • Jamorko Pickett, F, 6-foot-8, Georgetown
  • Deividas Sirvydis, G, 6-foot-8, Lithuania
  • Chris Smith, F, 6-foot-8, UCLA
  • Anthony Tarke, F, 6-foot-6, Coppin State

Reactions: Stormn Norman
I wonder how much a player gets paid for summer league? Gotta be something, right?

Players are not paid for their time or for playing in these games.

Players do not have to play for hotel or any travel expenses (plane, etc).

Players are usually given a “per diem” between $100 and $150 per day for their three meals.

For all the money that the NBA generates, all of the above is rather surprising.

Reactions: Moral
I dont understand how ... Uthoff [isnt] on [an] NBA roster.... I think that ship has sailed for J-U.

Uthoff was on a roster in 2020 and was an all G-League selection in 2021, so he's not too far gone.

Right. But given how well he performed in the G League, it is perplexing that no NBA teams have picked him up. I am obviously not giving up but he should try and maximize his earnings at this stage. He is what like 26?

He's 27 or 28

Uthoff was born May 19, 1993 (age 28 years).

Crazy how time flies.

After seeing Uthoff dominate a few of the G League games I watched, I thought for sure he would be in the NBA playing for someone. Surely some of the bottom feeders could used a tall, rangy shooter who can rebound and is a quality human being. I sometimes wonder if it is his quiet nature that is his downfall. I wonder the same thing about Joe Wieskamp. Maybe their placid nature works against them in a league full of loud, "look at me" individuals, who celebrate every basket as if they are the first to ever pull it off.

After seeing Uthoff dominate a few of the G League games I watched, I thought for sure he would be in the NBA playing for someone. Surely some of the bottom feeders could used a tall, rangy shooter who can rebound and is a quality human being. I sometimes wonder if it is his quiet nature that is his downfall. I wonder the same thing about Joe Wieskamp. Maybe their placid nature works against them in a league full of loud, "look at me" individuals, who celebrate every basket as if they are the first to ever pull it off.

Seems to me that striking a balance between aggressiveness, (getting your points) and playing a team concept (sharing the ball) is how it plays out if you do have the talent with the edge going to the guy getting his points first

In case you missed it, Tyler got the start tonight.

OKC beat the Pistons 76-72

Tyler Cook:
23 minutes
0-0 from 3 point range
4-8 from 2 point range
3-5 FTs
11 points
5 Rebounds (2 offensive)
2 Blocks
3 Turnovers

+2 Plus/Minus

Luka Garza:
13 minutes
1-3 from 3 point range
2-2 from 2 point range
2-4 FTs
9 points
4 Rebounds (4 offensive)
1 Assist

1 Turnover
-4 Plus/Minus

In case you missed it, Tyler again got the start tonight.....

The Rockets beat the Pistons, 111-91.

Luka was the Pistons' 2nd leading scorer with 15; Cade Cunningham led w/ 20. Tyler Cook had 10.

Tyler Cook:
14 minutes (of 40)
0-0 (0%) from 3 point range
3-4 (75%) from 2 point range
3-4 (75%) Overall Shooting
4-4 FTs
10 points
6 Rebounds (3 offensive)
1 Assist

0 Blocks
1 Turnover
1 Foul
+5 Plus/Minus

Luka Garza:
16 minutes (of 40)
1-2 (50%) from 3 point range
4-4 (100%) from 2 point range
5-6 (83%) Overall Shooting
4-4 FTs
15 points
3 Rebounds (2 offensive)
1 Assist

0 Blocks
0 Turnovers
3 Fouls
-6 Plus/Minus

Reactions: natchrlman
Anyone know what’s been going on the last few games that cook hasn’t played? I see the box score tonight says not with team.

Anyone know what’s been going on the last few games that cook hasn’t played? I see the box score tonight says not with team.
I think Detroit is done with him barring a lot of injuries to their roster. Maybe they’ll offer a GLeague contract, but the two way contracts are now taken and the big league roster is overflowing currently. Unfortunately this may be the beginning of the end for his domestic career unless he can find another team that wants to take a shot with him.

Training camp begins Sep 28. Only 20 players will be allowed to participate.

15 roster spots plus 2 two-way contracts are available for these 20 players.

Detroit, however, has already decided on who gets the 2 two-way contracts. Luka Garza will occupy the second two-way spot next season, after the Pistons signed former UCLA forward Chris Smith to a two-way contract on draft night.

Not to be Captain Obvious, but with both two-way spots taken, Tyler's time in Detroit is probably up.

NBA Key Roster Dates:
  • September 28 – Training camp begins. 20 players are allowed
  • October 17 – Projected cut down date from 20 to 17 (15 + 2 Two Way contracts)
  • October 19 – NBA regular season begins

Source: https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...-pick-luka-garza-two-way-contract/8157672002/

Yet he had to go to Japan to play this year. I watched him in some of his G League games and wondered what the heck more he had to be to make it in the NBA.
He went there for better money.

Im sure he could still be in the g league if he wanted but probably decided he needed to take the most dollar available at this point.

Didn't look like the nba would ever happen.

He went there for better money.

Im sure he could still be in the g league if he wanted but probably decided he needed to take the most dollar available at this point.

Didn't look like the nba would ever happen.
At some point guys have to decide if it’s worth chasing a nba roster sport or make more $ over seas. We’ve seen White make a good living playing in Europe and passing up a training camp invite one year. I think with him having a kid and family right after he graduated made decision to make his $ while he could and has done quite well for himself. For a guy like cook who doesn’t have wife and kids can afford to take the G league route longer. Uthoff I think unfortunately is seeing the reality of a nba roster spot becoming less likely and wants to cash in while he still can.

At some point guys have to decide if it’s worth chasing a nba roster sport or make more $ over seas. We’ve seen White make a good living playing in Europe and passing up a training camp invite one year. I think with him having a kid and family right after he graduated made decision to make his $ while he could and has done quite well for himself. For a guy like cook who doesn’t have wife and kids can afford to take the G league route longer. Uthoff I think unfortunately is seeing the reality of a nba roster spot becoming less likely and wants to cash in while he still can.
Yup.
Not that dissimilar from the kind of career decisions that everyone has to make.
Pursue the dream that becomes increasingly unlikely, and more financially costly, as time passes vs. taking the less glamorous gig with the more achievable and steadier payday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT