ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Cook

I always thought we could have used Woody as more of an offensive threat. We never fed the post to him very well. Really thought we missed on him being a better offensive player while at Iowa.

Good for Tyler. A little bit of surprise for me, although the raw athletic ability was always there. I am surprised that Uthoff never latched on to an NBA team, because I always thought he was a much more complete player.

He's currently 6-8 from the floor, 13pts/4reb in 16 minutes. Wolves are down 65-58 at half.

And to think some fans said Cook wasn't good and are glad he left. Kid has a ton of talent and is clearly working hard on his game.

I was a big Cook fan. Always had a great attitude and loved his explosiveness. I missed him when he left, but I was also interested to see what happened with the offense when he wasn‘t the primary focus down low due to his lack of decent jumper range.

If Cook came back for last season, would Luka have exploded the way he did? Luka certainly would have continued to improve, that’s just who he is, but I’m not sure he’s POY good with Cook eating up one block.

Can any of the experts here read behind the lines on this one? Is this his shot or is he getting toyed around?

Can any of the experts here read behind the lines on this one? Is this his shot or is he getting toyed around?
Not an expert. But anytime you make the league you have a shot. What is nice is that he isn’t getting called up because of injury. They are cutting guys when bringing him up but the two guards are expected to re-sign on 10 day contracts. Vonleh is a PF that they aren’t keeping so that has to help his chances. The Wolves only have 6 games left, so he isn’t missing much. He needs to just get a shot and hope that he gets some minutes to show what he can do. Question is, is he just an end of the bench body that never makes a game day roster or does he get a shot at some playing time?

The Nets don’t need scoring when they have Kyrie, Harden, and Durant coming back soon. They need a post presence that can block some shots and rebound. Tyler can’t be a black hole on offense, put backs are fine but otherwise keep the ball moving to the elite guys. He’s never been a defensive maven, so he’ll have to really concentrate on that and rebounding to earn minutes.

Wishing for the best for him. He’s really showing to be a good, if not dominant, player in the G League. I hope that translates well.

We need a top three pick in the draft or we lose our first rounder... these boys are tanking!

Side topic, but setting up rules like that for draft picks that incentivize teams to lose is just bad for the sport. The part of the American pro sports scene that I hate is that professional teams have incentives to lose. It sucks and is against everything that sports are supposed to be about. In English soccer, if you finish last in the league you get relegated to the division below. So the concept of "tanking" doesn't exist. Of course, their player acquisition system is not built on the draft. I would also be in favor of doing away with drafts in the American sports and letting guys sign with who they want to, but that will never fly for various reasons.

But tanking should not ever be rewarded, just my opinion.

Side topic, but setting up rules like that for draft picks that incentivize teams to lose is just bad for the sport. The part of the American pro sports scene that I hate is that professional teams have incentives to lose. It sucks and is against everything that sports are supposed to be about. In English soccer, if you finish last in the league you get relegated to the division below. So the concept of "tanking" doesn't exist. Of course, their player acquisition system is not built on the draft. I would also be in favor of doing away with drafts in the American sports and letting guys sign with who they want to, but that will never fly for various reasons.

But tanking should not ever be rewarded, just my opinion.
I get and agree with your opinion to an extent - nobody wants to watch a game where it benefits a team more to lose than to win. At the same time, if you are near the bottom of the standings in your respective professional sport (as teams like the Jaguars in the NFL were and the Wolves in NBA are), you are a LONG ways from being competitive. And as somebody who has watched Minnesota fail to attract any high level free agent talent for two decades, I know that the draft (whether by trading picks for quality players or by hitting a home run on draft night) is our only chance of contending in the foreseeable future

All Minnesota fans are disappointed by how the season has gone. We traded for D’Angelo Russell last year to come play alongside Towns, got the number 1 overall pick, and brought back a fan favorite seasoned point guard in Ricky Rubio. I thought we had a chance to contend for a playoff spot (and much rather would be than DFL in the league standings), but poor coaching, injuries, and youth have reared their heads to the point where getting that top 3 pick is all there is to look forward to

He's now been part of, by my count, five different NBA organizations. Clearly, the league sees something in him, but he's going to have to find the right situation to stick in. As of this moment, he seems to be the basketball equivalent of a AAAA player, but he's young enough to go further. At least he's getting shots, which means there's still hope.

This could be huge for him. I think the Nets will be the team to come out of the East, actually think if all are healthy will win it. Hope he sticks. Rebound and play defense young fella.

Good fit they already have 3 great scorers. Tyler could fit in as that Rodman garbage bucket guy, rebounder, and defender. Offensive and defensive rebounds and put-backs could make him. The guy makes everything around the rim.

Reactions: silasstarr
It’s really amazing how much better he is now. When he tried to face the basket with Iowa, it was almost always a disaster. I’m sure the spacing of the pro game helps, but still, it’s pretty striking to me.

Good fit they already have 3 great scorers. Tyler could fit in as that Rodman garbage bucket guy, rebounder, and defender. Offensive and defensive rebounds and put-backs could make him. The guy makes everything around the rim.

Basically thats all the stuff he didn't do at Iowa. All he wanted to do was be a scorer.

Nick Baer blocked more shots every year.

Maybe he's figured it out. Looks like he's more interested in competing on the glass now.

Last edited:
Reactions: FBletterman
It’s really amazing how much better he is now. When he tried to face the basket with Iowa, it was almost always a disaster. I’m sure the spacing of the pro game helps, but still, it’s pretty striking to me.

Hes always been very skilled one on one scoring, he just couldn't deal with double teams and didn't know what to do when he didn't have the ball.

He better learn where to be off the ball now if you want to be on the court with Harden.

And to think some fans said Cook wasn't good and are glad he left. Kid has a ton of talent and is clearly working hard on his game.

I dunno that people said he wasn't good...he always seemed to have great athletic ability. Watching these vids it looks like he's really developed his game and worked hard. He looks like a different player than he did a few years ago. Go get 'em kid!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT