ADVERTISEMENT

Tyreke Locure

I don’t get the hesitancy on this guy. Him and Carton would be a killer backcourt. Carton obviously gets more of the minutes and attention, but when he comes out it’s arguable that there is an upgrade athletically at the PG spot with Locure replacing carton. Imagine playing these two at the same time. Would look a lot like what we’re seeing in the NCAAs with dual lighting-quick guards being able to penetrate and create (Texas tech, Alabama, etc)

He doesn't fit Fran's system of play fast with slow players. Based on Fran's stellar record of 0- season against teams making the NCAA and NIT, it's clear we don't need a penetrating PG who can drive, score, dish, and defend. Disregard that every team in the NCAA tournament except Davidson & Penn has 3 of these guys, Buffalo destroyed AZ with guard play (on both ends) and commentators for every game talked about PG's / guards being the catalyst for March runs. None of this applies to Fran because he is reinventing basketball at Iowa.

If Fran wants to recruit Davidson and Penn type players, then he needs to play their style of ball and spread the court with shooters and teach defense and stop the nonsense of trying to play fast. It was pretty sobering to watch all the teams with dynamic 1-3's yesterday knowing they would run Iowa off the floor by halftime. I know, we were "this" close to getting Tyler Ulis, so give Fran another 8 years.

What does that have to do with anything?

Read the thread... discussion on if Locure was a couple inches taller he’d have a ton of offers. Point being we should not be afraid of recruiting him based on height and I doubt we are after recruiting Ulis. Likely rule the height factor out of why we have not offered.

I was all aboard the Locure bandwagon but as I watched him more and more I got really turned off by his play. His jumper needs a ton of work and he’s not a great leaper. His lateral quickness and handle are great though.

My biggest problem is that the kid knows that schools are watching him and that there are things he needs to prove, but his effort and attitude are still really bad. I mean there are times he doesn’t even get to halfcourt on defense. It’s also clear he doesn’t put time in the weight room.

He plays like someone that already knows they are going to a Juco.

Read the thread... discussion on if Locure was a couple inches taller he’d have a ton of offers. Point being we should not be afraid of recruiting him based on height and I doubt we are after recruiting Ulis. Likely rule the height factor out of why we have not offered.

Gotcha, I agree.

Thought you were saying not to go after short players.

Reactions: And1Hawk
I don’t get the hesitancy on this guy. Him and Carton would be a killer backcourt. Carton obviously gets more of the minutes and attention, but when he comes out it’s arguable that there is an upgrade athletically at the PG spot with Locure replacing carton. Imagine playing these two at the same time. Would look a lot like what we’re seeing in the NCAAs with dual lighting-quick guards being able to penetrate and create (Texas tech, Alabama, etc)

Agree, I would love to get both.

Villanova and Uconn recently won national titles playing multiple pgs.

Speed and quickness beat height unless the height is very athletic.

Id say you could even play two guards like that and JBO all at the same time for good stretches. Beats the hell out of having Pemsl amd Nunge on the perimiter.

Not saying that height is irrelevant, but I watched Fatts Russell, a 5’10 freshman PG on Rhode Island, make Trae Young’s life a living hell every time he dribbled the ball. Constantly up in his face playing tough defense. Taking players out of their rhythm that way is just as effective as contesting shots.

Height only becomes an issue when you don’t have the athletes to play tough man to man defense and are forced to play zone. Then you need length to disrupt passing lanes and contest 3’s.

Let's take as many athletic point guards as we can get right now. You can win in college basketball by playing 3-4 guards and a forward. It's very hard to win playing no true point guard and mostly forwards.
UMBC owned Virginia tonight with great guard play!

Reactions: unclesammy
Not saying that height is irrelevant, but I watched Fatts Russell, a 5’10 freshman PG on Rhode Island, make Trae Young’s life a living hell every time he dribbled the ball. Constantly up in his face playing tough defense. Taking players out of their rhythm that way is just as effective as contesting shots.

Height only becomes an issue when you don’t have the athletes to play tough man to man defense and are forced to play zone. Then you need length to disrupt passing lanes and contest 3’s.

Good post. Ive seen Fatts Russell consistently be the best player on the court all season (as I have ties to URI, won't bore you all).

He's lightening quick, frighteningly disruptive on the defensive side, breaks down defenses, a total game changer. And He's more like 5'8.

We just saw the same with UMBC guards versus VA.

It's all about quick guards.

Wake up Fran

You were a pretty good troll for awhile. It takes patience. I’ll give you credit there.

You scroll through posts and snipe at people without saying anything intelligent, but I am a troll? Hilarious. Pretty clear by the # of posts vs. likes, you are the troll here champ. Keep the dream alive man, one day that Camaro in the garage on blocks will get restored.

True but if statistics are also indicating it isn't offensively that Iowa struggles at PG. Why are you so sure it isn't the wing player the Hawks are in most need?

I like JBo's game, but if you want to hide him defensively and want to run, you don't have Connor and Fredrick as his side kicks. I'm more in the camp we need athletic guard to complement JBo.

Locure does absolutely nothing to fix our defensive issues. He is small and weak with poor effort.

I think Joe W and Moss will help when starting at the 2 and 3. Cook has got to improve as currently he is a big liability. If he improves and Garza continues to progress this team could turn that corner.

Jordan is great offensively but will always need help defensively. He is maybe the worst defensive PG that I can remember.

I think Joe W and Moss will help when starting at the 2 and 3. Cook has got to improve as currently he is a big liability. If he improves and Garza continues to progress this team could turn that corner.

Jordan is great offensively but will always need help defensively. He is maybe the worst defensive PG that I can remember.

I completely agree. I just think it comical the number of people that rip Jordan and our defense and then want to offer Locure.

Ullis was elite though. Lacore is not close to elite. So you can’t be 5’8 and good. You can be 6’1 and good.

I like JBo's game, but if you want to hide him defensively and want to run, you don't have Connor and Fredrick as his side kicks. I'm more in the camp we need athletic guard to complement JBo.
You can't hide him anywhere, that's ultimately the issue.

You scroll through posts and snipe at people without saying anything intelligent, but I am a troll? Hilarious. Pretty clear by the # of posts vs. likes, you are the troll here champ. Keep the dream alive man, one day that Camaro in the garage on blocks will get restored.

When figuring in his post count when "Likes" became a thing on this board, his post-to-like ratio is better than yours, so may want to pick another stat.

Reactions: ATCy
There was some discussion in another thread awhile back that questioned his effort and disposition

Having seem him numerous times, that's my question with him. I have no doubt his skill and athleticism will play at the HM level. It seems like a matter of when he wants to play, he does, when he isn't interested, he doesn't.

As for size, he's bigger than Ulis was coming out of HS.

Reactions: jellyfish10

Height isn't why he doesn't have more offers.

Reactions: deanhawk88
Ulis wasn't elite until summer before senior year, was he?

I'm not sure that Ullis was ever what I would call elite but he did have a very good senior year. He was also helped by the shortage of quality point guards in his class....

Reactions: RocknRollface
I'm not sure that Ullis was ever what I would call elite but he did have a very good senior year. He was also helped by the shortage of quality point guards in his class....
He plays big minutes, if not started, for Phoenix? Kid is doing something right regardless of height.

This tells me almost nothing.... there’s a zillion AAU teams out there so how good was the competition?

Not sure how good the competition Locure played against; which was Mississippi Express. Want to see Beyond Ball play against Quad-City Elite so people can better evaluate Locure when matched against Carton.

Not sure how good the competition Locure played against; which was Mississippi Express. Want to see Beyond Ball play against Quad-City Elite so people can better evaluate Locure when matched against Carton.

That would be interesting.

He plays big minutes, if not started, for Phoenix? Kid is doing something right regardless of height.
He was pushed into starting role by injuries, did okay, then sort of slumped out of line up for quite a while. Suns tried a couple of pickup guys that also faded, so he got to play more the last several games. Many games he scored 6-10 pts and didn't have a lot of assists - and this would be in something like 25-30 minutes.

He was pushed into starting role by injuries, did okay, then sort of slumped out of line up for quite a while. Suns tried a couple of pickup guys that also faded, so he got to play more the last several games. Many games he scored 6-10 pts and didn't have a lot of assists - and this would be in something like 25-30 minutes.

He's in the freakin' NBA. How many elite players never even got a sniff of that level?

He's in the freakin' NBA. How many elite players never even got a sniff of that level?

Depends on what you call "elite",... in my mind every "elite" player has made it to the pros, but not every pro has been "elite"....

Reactions: goodbyebobby
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT