ADVERTISEMENT

Tyreke Locure

My prediction is in 2 years somebody on this board is going to say I wish we should have offered this kid. He's the kind of kid that will stay college for years cuz he's not much chance of the one-and-done but he's going to be an outstanding College Point guard somebody that Iowa could definitely use and has a realistic chance of actually getting. He wants to be a Hawkeye. I'd rather have him then somebody that's going to be one or two and unlike couple of the other recruits were looking at

Reactions: And1Hawk
My prediction is in 2 years somebody on this board is going to say I wish we should have offered this kid. He's the kind of kid that will stay college for years cuz he's not much chance of the one-and-done but he's going to be an outstanding College Point guard somebody that Iowa could definitely use and has a realistic chance of actually getting. He wants to be a Hawkeye. I'd rather have him then somebody that's going to be one or two and unlike couple of the other recruits were looking at
by the way I did try to edit this and I can't get the damn thing to open up

I hope it doesn't turn out like the Washpun recruitment....Fran offers too late and ends up banking the scholly, or Fran passes and goes for another shooting guard like Ellingson/Flemming, or Fran puts his eggs all in to DJ Carton and whiffs like he did on Tyler Ullis

I hope it doesn't turn out like the Washpun recruitment....Fran offers too late and ends up banking the scholly, or Fran passes and goes for another shooting guard like Ellingson/Flemming, or Fran puts his eggs all in to DJ Carton and whiffs like he did on Tyler Ullis

I was thinking of the same thing.... Really Fran should offer him either way. DJ shouldn't be afraid of some competition.. Not if he is that good... Unless Fran thinks he can get DJ & Terry...?? ;)

Reactions: And1Hawk
Pretty sure Fran will be wrong no matter which direction he chooses.

I was thinking of the same thing.... Really Fran should offer him either way. DJ shouldn't be afraid of some competition.. Not if he is that good... Unless Fran thinks he can get DJ & Terry...?? ;)

He should just offer both and hope we get at least one. Getting both would be even better.

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
Can I ask why you all want him so bad when nobody else wants him? He is not ranked. No other big 5 offers. His last AAU team told him h was not needed this year. He does not pass the ball. He is quick but not elite quick. I guess I don’t understand why everyone wants him?

Can I ask why you all want him so bad when nobody else wants him? He is not ranked. No other big 5 offers. His last AAU team told him h was not needed this year. He does not pass the ball. He is quick but not elite quick. I guess I don’t understand why everyone wants him?

If there’s a better option then I’d like to hear it. Would love to have another option.

"Doesn't pass" - averaged 7 assists per game

28.1 PPG as a Junior, 4 STEALS per game.

I'm not saying he'll be close to Tyler Ulis but I think the kid has some really good skills. Before Ulis blew up, he had a pretty minimal offer list. Wasn't Iowa his first offer?

"Doesn't pass" - averaged 7 assists per game

28.1 PPG as a Junior, 4 STEALS per game.

I'm not saying he'll be close to Tyler Ulis but I think the kid has some really good skills. Before Ulis blew up, he had a pretty minimal offer list. Wasn't Iowa his first offer?

I would doubt he is the next Tyler Ullis or other coaches, even Drake, would at least be offering him.

Fran has got zero guards on the squad that can get to hoop off the dribble using quickness and finish. Locure might not be the ideal guy, but it is pretty clear Fran has overshot on his PG targets in past and missed on all the elite guys and been left with bums like Dickerson or CW.

If you are not an elite recruiter (that describes Fran) then you need to make it up on player evaluation. You take a reach like Locure type guy to get him locked up and Carton or Terry is not going to be afraid of the competition. The downside for Fran is his boy has to compete for playing time at PG and actually earn the PT.

He has been offered by Drake and North Dakota. That's it. Could he blow up this Summer? Yes he could. I know we have our eyes on him but until the coaches feel that they are NOT going to get Carton or Terry, Locure will be on the outside looking in. By then, it may be too late for Iowa, but Iowa and all other Power 5 teams are taking a wait and see attitude.

Those of you who doubt Locure on here truly have NO idea about how bad the North High sports department, including the Basketball team really is.

You want to prognosticate the winner of the CIML at the beginning of the season? There are some “usual suspects”, namely Valley, Dowling and Waukee. Want to guess who will finish DEAD LAST? North. Doesn’t matter what the sport is, either. The wrestlers from 98 pounds through 125 are usually tough as nails Asian kids, who top out at about 5’5”, but that is about it.

Locure May have had a slightly better supporting cast than Weiskamp last year, but only slightly. North was regularly featured as one of the 10 best teams in the State last year for only one reason: Locure was unstoppable.

I view him as very similar to Pierre Jackson, The Baylor guard we faced in the NIT championship game a few years back. He has what we don’t have at the point: quick feet, quick hands, keeps opposing guards from blowing past him and the ability to get to the rim.

In a perfect world, The Hawks get Carton and then Locure goes to Drake, my Alma Mater ‍. He will eat up the Iowa guards like Reed Timmer did in a loss a few years back.

Ullis had an extensive list at this stage in his college recruitment. Go ahead and do some research, but I believe his was his list on May 7th his Jr Year. FYI - the Verbal Commits website is great.

Colorado State, Oregon State, Depaul, Iowa, Loyola, Purdue, Florida State, Vandy, Florida, Michigan State, Alabama, Northwestern, Dayton.

Locure might end up being a nice player in college, but Ullis was definitely higher rated and recruited through out.

Ullis didn't have many if any major conference offers other than Iowa at the same point in his career.

Those of you who doubt Locure on here truly have NO idea about how bad the North High sports department, including the Basketball team really is.

You want to prognosticate the winner of the CIML at the beginning of the season? There are some “usual suspects”, namely Valley, Dowling and Waukee. Want to guess who will finish DEAD LAST? North. Doesn’t matter what the sport is, either. The wrestlers from 98 pounds through 125 are usually tough as nails Asian kids, who top out at about 5’5”, but that is about it.

Locure May have had a slightly better supporting cast than Weiskamp last year, but only slightly. North was regularly featured as one of the 10 best teams in the State last year for only one reason: Locure was unstoppable.

I view him as very similar to Pierre Jackson, The Baylor guard we faced in the NIT championship game a few years back. He has what we don’t have at the point: quick feet, quick hands, keeps opposing guards from blowing past him and the ability to get to the rim.

In a perfect world, The Hawks get Carton and then Locure goes to Drake, my Alma Mater ‍. He will eat up the Iowa guards like Reed Timmer did in a loss a few years back.

North has been usually ranked inside the top 10 for the last 10 years since Chad Ryan took over and has Morgan Wheat as his assistant. They have kids playing all over the place in college now. Grandview and so on. The rest of the sports teams suck at north but they have some players.

Reactions: anon_gjzkhykcp9iuj
Yeah, I think his supporting class is pretty damn good considering the overall North athletic program. There are plenty of guys on the team with some skill. Definitely lacking in other facets of the game but they can all shoot. And holy shit they are not afraid to put it up.

Hawks have a lot of 3-point shooters, too. Locure is the guy that breaks down the defense and kicks it out to the open shooters.

Who do we have doing that right now?

I'm all in on Locure should we miss out on Carton and Terry. I think Locure could be a real steal if he gets his head on right, wants to be a great teammate, and is willing to play DEFENSE.

Ullis had an extensive list at this stage in his college recruitment. Go ahead and do some research, but I believe his was his list on May 7th his Jr Year. FYI - the Verbal Commits website is great.

Colorado State, Oregon State, Depaul, Iowa, Loyola, Purdue, Florida State, Vandy, Florida, Michigan State, Alabama, Northwestern, Dayton.

Locure might end up being a nice player in college, but Ullis was definitely higher rated and recruited through out.

Thats definitely more than I remember at that time period.

I recalled his break out as being durring auu season? Could be wrong.

My main memory is of one of the Illinois posters saying Fran was reaching and he didn't think Ulis was a major conference player, and that went on for a long time.

Not to be picky, folks. Well, yeah, being picky.

His name is Tyler Ulis, not Ullis.

He was 2nd in 4A in assists, behind Kenny Clay , and 3rd in Scoring in 4A, behind Garrett Sturtz (Drake commit) and Joe Wieskamp (who'd he sign with?). And yes, he is elite quick. Athleticism and skill is not the problem with him.

I've said numerous times, I'd be thrilled if he ends up at Iowa. His skill and athleticism fit at the B1G level. If he can get his head straight, mainly understanding he has to work every trip down the court on both ends, he will be a VERY good PG at the HM level.

Yeah, I think his supporting class is pretty damn good considering the overall North athletic program. There are plenty of guys on the team with some skill. Definitely lacking in other facets of the game but they can all shoot. And holy shit they are not afraid to put it up.

Yep. They are missing the inside presence they had last year in Jal Bijiek. Kallo and McCaleb aren't bad by any stretch, but they don't demand the attention Bijiek did. My son is friends with Bijiek's younger brother Gatdoar. But you're right, they will launch 3's, they averaged nearly 30 attempts per game last year, which was nearly half of their FG attempts.

He was 2nd in 4A in assists, behind Kenny Clay , and 3rd in Scoring in 4A, behind Garrett Sturtz (Drake commit) and Joe Wieskamp (who'd he sign with?). And yes, he is elite quick. Athleticism and skill is not the problem with him.

I've said numerous times, I'd be thrilled if he ends up at Iowa. His skill and athleticism fit at the B1G level. If he can get his head straight, mainly understanding he has to work every trip down the court on both ends, he will be a VERY good PG at the HM level.

Garrett Sturtz is a walk on for the record and I have heard it's because his mom is on staff at Drake. You all can have Tyreke. I would be severely disappointed with Iowa State if we offered him. I have seen him play enough. I know his strengths and weakness's pretty well. So do coaches. Which is exactly why no offers are coming in for him. BTW UNI offered Bowen Born who is the same height and a year younger than Tyreke. So that should tell you something

Reactions: MagicCoach
Tyreke Locure's AAU team played against Patrick McCaffery's D1 Minnesota AAU squad on Saturday. A poster on another site watched a little bit of the game and mentioned that Locure looked pretty good against D1Minnesota.

Tony Roe‏@tonysroe May 12

Ames wing Japannah Kellogg opens up on Tyreke Locure. Hoover guard Kenny Quinn takes Tyrell Terry, and we’re off.

9:47 AM - 12 May 2018

Beyond Ball got blown out by D1Minnesota but defeated Battle of the Lakes yesterday.

https://www.courtsidefilms.com/news_article/show/917367?referrer_id

Tyreke Locure's AAU team played against Patrick McCaffery's D1 Minnesota AAU squad on Saturday. A poster on another site watched a little bit of the game and mentioned that Locure looked pretty good against D1Minnesota.

Tony Roe‏@tonysroe May 12

Ames wing Japannah Kellogg opens up on Tyreke Locure. Hoover guard Kenny Quinn takes Tyrell Terry, and we’re off.

9:47 AM - 12 May 2018

Beyond Ball got blown out by D1Minnesota but defeated Battle of the Lakes yesterday.

https://www.courtsidefilms.com/news_article/show/917367?referrer_id

Isn't battle of the lakes the name of the tournament?

Could you clarify?

Just saw a video of him in an exhibition on his Twitter account from about a week ago. Not taking too much away from it, but his shot looks much better, not as much in front of his face as it used to be. Still has elite quickness, handle, and vision, but I'm just not sure if he is a big-time D1 player. I'd say he tops out at about 5'10 at best.

Link to Video:

Just saw a video of him in an exhibition on his Twitter account from about a week ago. Not taking too much away from it, but his shot looks much better, not as much in front of his face as it used to be. Still has elite quickness, handle, and vision, but I'm just not sure if he is a big-time D1 player. I'd say he tops out at about 5'10 at best.

Link to Video:

We all recently found out that Carton is ONLY 5-10 1/2 w/o shoes, although his standing reach is that of someone around 6-3/4. PMac, at 6-7 w/o shoes has a 6-6 wing span...same as Carton. Crazy arm length, which is huge, but still 5-10 1/2. If it's not something more off the court related, not sure what he's doing wrong to not have more offers that he does.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT