ADVERTISEMENT

UCLA/USC to B1G?!?!?!

You have to remember that conferences are about more than just athletics though, athletic money is dwarfed by research grants although I'm sure that gap is closing somewhat. I just dont see it happening but wouldnt rule it out either. You definitely bring up fair points
Good point about research grants
But at the same time Big 10 are not going to bring in schools is dwindle the pie if they cannot kick out some of the teams who take more than they give. So unless you can boot Rutgers out, the value of Oregon or Washington I don't think increase everyone's share of revenue.

Reactions: Ree4
One thing is for sure no Conferences or ADs outside of the B10 will trust anything coming out of the B1G HQs , What Warren did to the so called Alliance Members was akin to getting invited over to a business associate's House, seducing Their barely legal Twin Daughters , knocking em both up and cleaning out the Families bank accounts and going to live in luxury off grid . Warren did the PAC12 Filthy rotten .

Would not be shocked if ND was approached first with the hook that if they join now they will have a say in the future, i.e. they will have a voice on who else is added. Could benefit a school like Stanford where there may be a decision to be made between them and another school.

The flip side is ND waits, and the BIG keeps a spot open until the last moment, but that any way you slice it the BIG/SEC are divvying things up and if you want a say in the process join now. Otherwise you'll get what you get, or maybe be left out entirely.
I feel like ND to the B1G is just a formality at this point.

The ACC is dead in the water. Clemson will bolt the second they get the SEC offer, and maybe take FSU and Miami with them.

ND is just so much of a better fit in the B1G than the SEC anyways:

-Perfect geographical location
-Much greater emphasis on academics
-Similar cultures and styles of play
-Plenty of traditional rivals that would welcome their games back with open arms

There's a reason the B1G has been after ND for decades.

Interesting if they're really putting the decision to ND. That means, potentially ND/Oregon/Wash/ and one more yet TBD.

The total package, if considering other sports and academic standing, Stanford.

Dodd was just on CBS sports radio and he said that his Big 10 sources said Oregon and Washington didn't bring enough to the Big 10 to justify bringing them in.

One thing is for sure no Conferences or ADs outside of the B10 will trust anything coming out of the B1G HQs , What Warren did to the so called Alliance Members was akin to getting invited over to a business associate's House, seducing Their barely legal Twin Daughters , knocking em both up and cleaning out the Families bank accounts and going to live in luxury off grid . Warren did the PAC12 Filthy rotten .
USC and UCLA reached out to the B1G, not the other way around.

I'm the complete opposite of a Kevin Warren fan, but those two were leaving the Pac-12 regardless, they just happened to ask the B1G first.

But, again, wouldn't the easier pathway be for the schools with the clout to leave and join up with others that would also be leaving their respective conferences? That would seem like the smoother pathway than "kicking out" members that are perceived as football dead weight.

Regardless of terminology (i.e. "kicking out"/"booting"/"leaving and restructuring"), the question is where do certain schools fall in the pecking order when the super conferences are finalized? What will be driving the decisions?

A good friend of mine once wisely recommended that college football needs to form its own conferences and all other sports need to retain their geographic based conference alignments.

In what world does it make financial sense for Iowa's non-revenue producing teams travel to LA for "conference" contests?

A school being removed from a conference would seem less likely than simply the biggest players moving elsewhere. For example, tosu and michigan would lose the Big Ten name if they bolted. But if it's all about money they'd probably have more to gain if they formed a "super duper league" or whatever you'd like to call it with the top programs in the country. If this were a 30 team league, then I could see Iowa making the cut as one of the bottom 10 or so in. Progress?
We are QUICKLY moving to a single super conf in cfb and I doubt we make the cut honestly

Reactions: Fan In Black
Dodd was just on CBS sports radio and he said that his Big 10 sources said Oregon and Washington didn't bring enough to the Big 10 to justify bringing them in.
I don't buy Oregon thoughts.

But maybe that's just me.

Regardless of terminology (i.e. "kicking out"/"booting"/"leaving and restructuring"), the question is where do certain schools fall in the pecking order when the super conferences are finalized? What will be driving the decisions?

A good friend of mine once wisely recommended that college football needs to form its own conferences and all other sports need to retain their geographic based conference alignments.

In what world does it make financial sense for Iowa's non-revenue producing teams travel to LA for "conference" contests?
What did we get last year from the big ten and how much will we be getting with this new tv deal?

I feel like ND to the B1G is just a formality at this point.

The ACC is dead in the water. Clemson will bolt the second they get the SEC offer, and maybe take FSU and Miami with them.

ND is just so much of a better fit in the B1G than the SEC anyways:

-Perfect geographical location
-Much greater emphasis on academics
-Similar cultures and styles of play
-Plenty of traditional rivals that would welcome their games back with open arms

There's a reason the B1G has been after ND for decades.
The ACC may be dead in the water, but not until 2036, when their GOR expires. The buyout to leave the ACC is too big. I don’t know if ND is included in the GOR or not.

B1G are morons to not take Oregon imo!

Standing pat for now but there's no way the B1G won't be at least 20 teams in the near future. We are waiting on ND as you'd have to think at some point they see the writing on the wall and make a move.

I'm guessing Oregon and Washington will be in the B1G at some point.

The ACC may be dead in the water, but not until 2036, when their GOR expires. The buyout to leave the ACC is too big. I don’t know if ND is included in the GOR or not.
They'd make their buyout back in heartbeat, and that's not counting on whether or not the B1G would help front the buyout.

Also I'd be surprised if they were fully included since they're not even full members.

If they go to 20 teams and the SEC matches, I really hope they go to something like a 13 game schedule with one pushover, 10 conference games and then one guaranteed home/away non conference matchup with someone in the SEC.

My guess is they're going to get enough $ when the next media rights deal is all said and done that the share per school will be at minimum what it had been, and most likely more than that.

Dodd literall tweeted that the BIG is standing pat for now waiting on NDs decision. Things with Oregon and Washington are not done yet.

Standing pat for now but there's no way the B1G won't be at least 20 teams in the near future. We are waiting on ND as you'd have to think at some point they see the writing on the wall and make a move.

I'm guessing Oregon and Washington will be in the B1G at some point.
If Stanford wanted in, wouldn't they have a good case? Superb academics and a huge TV market.

yes, but according to the NY times they do not want out of the PAC yet.

About the only way I seeing staying with the PAC works out is if something can be formed between the remaining PAC schools and B12 schools. They maybe add in the remaining ACC schools after the B10 & SEC get done purging from it.

This is going to get interesting as there's no doubt some schools are going to be left on the outside looking in. No room in the inn for everyone.

WIth how conference re-alignment has progressed and focus on TV markets and TV money, I've been growingly concerned that Iowa could ultimately land in a conference populated with other low population midwest state based universities . . . Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Nebraska, South Dakota, South Dakota State, North Dakota.

What loyalty to Iowa will USC and UCLA bring to the table?
What loyalty to B1G tradition does Rutgers and Maryland bring to the table?
What loyalty to keeping the original 10 does PSU insist upon?
At what point does Michigan and Ohio State say . . . "wait, why are we sharing equally with the rest of this conference?"

Just start looking at the size of TV markets. Start ranking what each B1G university brings to the conference revenue table. Where does Iowa sit on that list?

Then look at alumni bases. Where does Iowa sit on that list?

NIL doesn't help. ADs now compete with players for donors' money. If less money is coming in via donors, ADs need to increase other revenue streams. Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State can offset loss of donor contributions (money going to players via NIL collectives) by demanding larger B1G shares or sharing B1G revenues with fewer teams.
As someone else pointed out this is the road the big 12 went down and the whole thing went to shit. Whats made the BIG stand strong is that they've stood together and shared the wealth. I think the fact that they've stood strong is one of the major selling points of the BIG, their unity and the fact that their not going anywhere. As to greed overtaking OSU and M, here's my question. My understanding is that these schools operate as non profits, is that not the case? So if there getting say 90 million per year why would it be so important to boot teams like Iowa. Don't the schools have to spend all that $$ every year? So they go from 55 mil to 90 mil, and have to spend another 35 mil per year, on what? Do you really think they'll need to be in a rush to lower the number. Maybe so, hell I don't know though.

Reactions: Ree4
Well Oregon, and Washington have been told the B1G is standing pat for now. They are waiting for_________ to respond.

Any guesses as to who the diva they are waiting for.

1.) Notre Dame
2.) Miami
3.) Stanford
4.) Iowa State
5.) Queen of England

I would say yeah teams could be kicked out but you have to remember there have to be teams to take those Ls for the big dogs.
Thats another interesting point. OSU needs to keep winning 10-12 games a year so do they really want to push out all those teams?

If they go to 20 teams and the SEC matches, I really hope they go to something like a 13 game schedule with one pushover, 10 conference games and then one guaranteed home/away non conference matchup with someone in the SEC.
Hard to see the sec agreeing

Well Oregon, and Washington have been told the B1G is standing pat for now. They are waiting for_________ to respond.

Any guesses as to who the diva they are waiting for.

1.) Notre Dame
2.) Miami
3.) Stanford
4.) Iowa State
5.) Queen of England
Rancho Cucamongo crackakillaz

obviously.

I was pointing out that the p12 losers will likely be forced to join the b12.
I'd have to think that the remaining 10 Pac-12 teams are in control and not the Big 12.

Assuming the B1G and SEC stay at 16 teams, I could seee the Pac-12 grabbing Okie St, Baylor, Kansas, Kansas St, BYU and Boise St, with ISU, TCU, TT, UCF, UC, WV and UH being SOL.

Last edited:

Shouldn't be an issue "financially" if all the teams are getting 90 mil per year just from TV revenue......

Reactions: BrunoMars420
As someone else pointed out this is the road the big 12 went down and the whole thing went to shit. Whats made the BIG stand strong is that they've stood together and shared the wealth. I think the fact that they've stood strong is one of the major selling points of the BIG, their unity and the fact that their not going anywhere. As to greed overtaking OSU and M, here's my question. My understanding is that these schools operate as non profits, is that not the case? So if there getting say 90 million per year why would it be so important to boot teams like Iowa. Don't the schools have to spend all that $$ every year? So they go from 55 mil to 90 mil, and have to spend another 35 mil per year, on what? Do you really think they'll need to be in a rush to lower the number. Maybe so, hell I don't know though.
LOL Iowa isnt being kicked from the conference. The only team I could see the Big Ten asking to step down would be Northwestern and even then, I don't see that happening either.

I'd have to think that the remaining 10 Pac-12 teams are in control and not the Big 12.

Assuming the B1G and SEC stay at 16 teams, I could seee the Pac-12 grabbing Okie St, Baylor, Kansas, Kansas St, BYU and Boise St, with ISU, TCU, TT, UCF, UC and UH being SOL
I would think Big 12 has the leverage.
The PAC 12 Media deal expires after 2023.
The Big 12 after 2024

I am guessing any media deal that the PAC 12 cuts would require, said teams to be in the league in 2024

Not sure how GOR works in terms of votes or what happens to that.. And it would be fascinating to see how receptive Stanford and Cal would be to having BYU and Baylor in the Pac 12. But these times make strange bedfellows so anything is possible.

Any conference that has Oregon or Washington is still unstable, because even though they may not get picked up this go round, probably a matter of time before they do. So many more questions than answers at this point.

Thats another interesting point. OSU needs to keep winning 10-12 games a year so do they really want to push out all those teams?
yes this is a great point. The OSU, Michigan, Penn State, USC, Oklahoma, etc., have no interest in being in a league with just other powerhouse teams like themselves. If you created a 16 or 20-team league with nothing but the blue bloods of college FB, half the teams are going .500 or less. They aren't signing up for that. Period.

As long as OSU and Michigan, et al, see a path to both having great revenue and competing for titles, they have no interest in kicking out members of the Big Ten. Of course, conditions can change but don't see a scenario where they are looking to force Northwestern, Illinois, Purdue and Iowa out and invite in ND, Oregon, Clemson and Florida State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT