ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Ulis, Ogundele to Transfer

A top experienced portal big 4/5 who is athletic and wants to play defense would make a huge difference in the outlook for next year. Without one, it is going to take some incredible play by our true freshman bigs and at least one of our true PGs for Iowa to finish in the top third of the B1G.

You should seek another team to root for, the kid is better then you think, but carry on with your pettiness...
Will we ever see it, or will he ride the pine because actual game time experience shouldn't be used to develop players, as some have stated on this forum?

You should seek another team to root for, the kid is better then you think, but carry on with your pettiness...
Nah, think I will stick with my Hawks as I have since George peeples, Chris Perval and Super Sam Williams have roamed the court.
I guess you are comfortable with Mulvey, Freeman, and Braun handling the post next year.
Me? Not so much.
I want to add a rim protector from the portal like Fran tried to do last year.
How difficult will it be to attract a top rim protector when he sees 3 others at that position already?
And do we really want to put that many resources in one position when we need to replace an all American wing and a 6 year wing?

Welcome to the new era of college ball. Development is for smaller programs...power 5 programs now pick off the developed guys from smaller programs
No more 5 year rebuilding cycles.
The future is now.

Wish both of them well. Iowa gets better as a result of these transfers.
If they replace Ulis with a better player they do. He would have been in his 4th year in the program and started 27 games this year. Connor finally gone, Bowen barely saw the court and the only other pt guard is an incoming Freshman who while he looks talented, is small and will probably take time to adjust to the physicality of the league.

If they replace Ulis with a better player they do. He would have been in his 4th year in the program and started 27 games this year. Connor finally gone, Bowen barely saw the court and the only other pt guard is an incoming Freshman who while he looks talented, is small and will probably take time to adjust to the physicality of the league.
Going to be a very interesting off season…. I watched some recorded games from this season and I certainly believe that Bowen has the talent and ability to be a very good guard. Can Fran lasso that talent and drastically reduce the turnovers?

With our scholarship availability can we get a post player that’s a difference maker and a strong perimeter player with a consistent 3 point shot?

I think (not 100% sure) we have the players necessary to handle the PG duties IF Bowen takes the step forward…these guys can play the point: TP-Bowen-Dix-Harding….BUT IF we have an injury to TO or Bowen, things get dicey.

Strong combo guard appears to be the need?

Going to be a very interesting off season…. I watched some recorded games from this season and I certainly believe that Bowen has the talent and ability to be a very good guard. Can Fran lasso that talent and drastically reduce the turnovers?

With our scholarship availability can we get a post player that’s a difference maker and a strong perimeter player with a consistent 3 point shot?

I think (not 100% sure) we have the players necessary to handle the PG duties IF Bowen takes the step forward…these guys can play the point: TP-Bowen-Dix-Harding….BUT IF we have an injury to TO or Bowen, things get dicey.

Do you think Nimmers could be that guy? I’m not sure if Fran offers him a schollie, but if he does then I’m guessing he is. My thoughts are Fran is waiting to see if he can land a good ball handler that also shoots the 3 at a 38-42% clip.(a really big ask), but If he can land that type player he holds off on offering Nimmers a schollie.

Kris is clearly a better ballhandler/playmaker than Payton.

As Rocknroll stated, the better ballhandler is someone who can beat his man and make a play. Quickness and size can also contribute to the ability to make plays. But it can't happen without the handles. Kris is a very good ballhandler for his size. He was a point guard in high school.

Payton's handles are also pretty good for his size. But anyone can bring the ball up the court if they aren't being pressured. It's not like Payton was creating anything. He was bringing the ball up so he could enter it into an offense that was getting guys like Kris and Tony open. Or Payton would simply give Tony a break from being pressured the full court as he had a bigger defender on him that wouldn't come out that far.

Kris put up some huge scoring numbers this season. It wasn't all catch and shoot or turn and score in the post. He went and got his own off the dribble quite often. Again, that production absolutely requires good handles

I don’t like TP playing the point, but he does give us a kind of insurance policy if Bowen and Harding or Dix can’t do the job. I do think Bowen has the tools to be very good. It’s hard to replicate experience. He should benefit from the overseas tour this summer.

Nah, think I will stick with my Hawks as I have since George peeples, Chris Perval and Super Sam Williams have roamed the court.
I guess you are comfortable with Mulvey, Freeman, and Braun handling the post next year.
Me? Not so much.
I want to add a rim protector from the portal like Fran tried to do last year.
How difficult will it be to attract a top rim protector when he sees 3 others at that position already?
And do we really want to put that many resources in one position when we need to replace an all American wing and a 6 year wing?

Welcome to the new era of college ball. Development is for smaller programs...power 5 programs now pick off the developed guys from smaller programs
No more 5 year rebuilding cycles.
The future is now.
I'm guessing that Fran and his staff spends lots of time recruiting his players, Travel, multiple visits, calls, whatever it takes to get a recruit to sign on the dotted line. Getting a great player to come to Iowa as we've all seen is not that easy.
So he now has 5 freshmen that is about to embark on their college careers at Iowa. 2 big men, a wing, an off guard, and a point guard.
OK, I understand that very few teams make it very far in the NCAA tournament playing freshmen, but how do you tell recruits that sorry, I don't think you're good enough as a freshmen and you'll have to wait a year to get any play because I brought this mid major player or whatever into the program that may or may not work out.
Its not like he has 4 or 5 scholarships to give out. I still think he will give Nimmers one of the scholarships and bank another one for the 24 year. That leave him one to work with and as we've seen in the past, he's just a libel to not use it. We'll see.
Nimmers, jr Sandford, Freemen and Dembele are all physically ready to play at Iowa and with the European trip this summer the adjustment to this level of play will be that much easier. As far as Harding go's, in my opinion, he could use a red shirt year, but I'm not going to rule out his determination to play.
Whatever Fran does from now until the summer workouts, is not going to make or break next years team by any means. As I've said in previous threads, I doubt Fran can pull a major difference maker from the portal no matter how much money he throws out there and there's always going to be another school that has more of it and what past history in the NCAA tournament does Iowa have anyway to help sway a major player that is looking to make a statement at his new school. Not Iowa, that's for sure.
Now, I've stated my position and I've leave up what may or may not happen up to Fran and his staff.

Last edited:
Reactions: intrepodor
Do you think Nimmers could be that guy? I’m not sure if Fran offers him a schollie, but if he does then I’m guessing he is. My thoughts are Fran is waiting to see if he can land a good ball handler that also shoots the 3 at a 38-42% clip.(a really big ask), but If he can land that type player he holds off on offering Nimmers a schollie.
I don’t think it’s Nimmers…

I think the one that is still up in the air is Mulvey…

But that’s just my best guess on what I’ve read.

Anything is still possible!

I don’t like TP playing the point, but he does give us a kind of insurance policy if Bowen and Harding or Dix can’t do the job. I do think Bowen has the tools to be very good. It’s hard to replicate experience. He should benefit from the overseas tour this summer.
The over seas trip……Dr Tom used to make good use of these. My recollection is that we always got the following season off to a good start after those trips. I think the last trip under Fran was more of a chemistry building trip…I would like to see them play some tough competition.

As Rocknroll stated, the better ballhandler is someone who can beat his man and make a play. Quickness and size can also contribute to the ability to make plays. But it can't happen without the handles. Kris is a very good ballhandler for his size. He was a point guard in high school.

Payton's handles are also pretty good for his size. But anyone can bring the ball up the court if they aren't being pressured. It's not like Payton was creating anything. He was bringing the ball up so he could enter it into an offense that was getting guys like Kris and Tony open. Or Payton would simply give Tony a break from being pressured the full court as he had a bigger defender on him that wouldn't come out that far.

Kris put up some huge scoring numbers this season. It wasn't all catch and shoot or turn and score in the post. He went and got his own off the dribble quite often. Again, that production absolutely requires good handles
Payton brings the ball up court a lot better than Kris. Payton looks confident and Kris looks hesitant.

The over seas trip……Dr Tom used to make good use of these. My recollection is that we always got the following season off to a good start after those trips. I think the last trip under Fran was more of a chemistry building trip…I would like to see them play some tough competition.
I believe this will be Fran’s third team overseas trip since taking over at Iowa. Last one was to Europe in 2017. That year’s team finished 19-15/10-8 but did not make the NCAA tournament.

Reactions: perryhawk

Payton has a 2:1 assist to turnover ratio. Kris was 2:1.5

They all received scholarships their Freshman after redshirting? I would love for Nimmers to be a diamond in the rough but let's settle down a bit.
You didn't include the freshman qualifier, just that you have to prove it on the court first. We obviously don't know if Nimmers will be good or not, but let's not pretend like Fran has never given a scholarship to someone that hasn't proven it on the court.

You didn't include the freshman qualifier, just that you have to prove it on the court first. We obviously don't know if Nimmers will be good or not, but let's not pretend like Fran has never given a scholarship to someone that hasn't proven it on the court.
The guys you referenced received scholarships because they were seniors that have stuck with the team as a walk-on. Fran had an extra scholarship in each situation and rewarded them. This is not a logical comparison. Edit: If you go back and look at my posts I questioned why you would give a scholarship to a walk-on that has never seen the court. Understand?

Good to see Perkins will be back. I’m taking it as a good sign that Bowen hasn’t entered the portal yet.

Love that you guys have to go to the NBA to find another guy Sandfort‘s size that handles the ball as well. Proves my point.

Love that you think that

The guys you referenced received scholarships because they were seniors that have stuck with the team as a walk-on. Fran had an extra scholarship in each situation and rewarded them. This is not a logical comparison. Edit: If you go back and look at my posts I questioned why you would give a scholarship to a walk-on that has never seen the court. Understand?
Yes I get the situations are different, but you didn't just say players that never saw the court. You said players that proved it on the court. None of those four proved they belonged on the court in the Big Ten (Till was the closest).

I agree it's unlikely that Nimmers gets a scholarship next year, but I also know Fran's track record in the transfer market. I wouldn't be shocked if he strikes out on his top targets and has a couple extra schollies available going into next year. Maybe he liked what Nimmers showed in practice and doesn't want to lose him. I'd bet against it, but it's not like it's some crazy scenario that could never happen.

The poaching theory might be our future. There is uncertainty right now. Do we really need another PG? Bowen was a big time recruit. Flashed a huge upside but needs maturity. Perkins can handle some point guard, although there won't be a Connor to be the other ball handler like this season. Can we run the half court through Payton? Unconventional but Iowa is unconventional.

There is more certain need at center. The Big Ten has big boys in the middle. Braun's OK, and I think Freeman will become a very good center but they are pretty big unknowns. Riley has not yet shown playability. We need a big deep post guy more than anything.

Reactions: Vbeachawk
Yes I get the situations are different, but you didn't just say players that never saw the court. You said players that proved it on the court. None of those four proved they belonged on the court in the Big Ten (Till was the closest).

I agree it's unlikely that Nimmers gets a scholarship next year, but I also know Fran's track record in the transfer market. I wouldn't be shocked if he strikes out on his top targets and has a couple extra schollies available going into next year. Maybe he liked what Nimmers showed in practice and doesn't want to lose him. I'd bet against it, but it's not like it's some crazy scenario that could never happen.
Whatever. I am done with you. Prove it on the court could also be practice. What has Nimmers proved besides a highlight video?

Reactions: pocha444444
Payton has a 2:1 assist to turnover ratio. Kris was 2:1.5
And Kris was the high volume go-to guy. When you're relied upon to make plays you're going to make a few turnovers.

When most of your game is 25 feet from the basket like Payton, you aren't going to to turn the ball over or make any plays.

I guarantee you if Kris' handles aren't as good as Payton's, then we won't see him playing in the NBA

Really good year to get the overseas trip, with the major change in the personnel and a very new rotation, as long as everyone stays healthy. Fran should certainly be able to sell playing time to a really good big man. Whether they can also get a guard who can shoot and play better defense than Nimmers, I don't know.

I'm going to spell it out for you people that are clamoring for Fran to get a stud from the portal. Fran has been at Iowa for 13 years and in that time he has had Adam Woodbury, Mike Gesell, Aaron White, Devin Marble, Peter Jok, Tyler Cook, Jordan Bohannan, Joe Wieskamp, Luka Garza, Keegan and Kris Murray and a few others that could be added to this list. Guess what folks, Iowa hadn't broke through to the sweat 16 with any of these Iowa legions.
So this year Fran apparently has a couple of open scholarships to fill and most on here think that Fran will go out and fill those ships with some great disenchanted players from the portal and suddenly Iowa with contend for the Big Ten and have a chance to advance to the field of 16.
It's not going to happen folks no matter how much you post on here that Iowa needs to improve their roster with the 1 or 2 scholarships that Fran has open and that's even if Fran doesn't bank one of them for the 24 class.
I know that upsets a lot of you but Iowa is going to have to do with the 10 scholarship players that are currently on the roster with the possibility of adding Nimmers and having maybe 1 more added from the portal. There's at least 2 more months until the end of the school year and the beginning of summer workouts so we'll see if any more players are added or substracted by then. Chill out folks, Iowa will be fine with the players they have. I think Fran knows what he doing as he will always recruit high school players first kind of coach and always will be.

I really don't think there is one or two portal guys (that the Hawks can get) that can convert the them into championship caliber.

Let's say they get a player exactly like Kris Murray, a true star. Well that wasn't enough in 22/23 to really even sniff the B1G championship.

Perk, PMac and Payton are going to get a ton of minutes. And I just don't think they are good enough to get next years team to the top.

I really don't think there is one or two portal guys (that the Hawks can get) that can convert the them into championship caliber.

Let's say they get a player exactly like Kris Murray, a true star. Well that wasn't enough in 22/23 to really even sniff the B1G championship.

Perk, PMac and Payton are going to get a ton of minutes. And I just don't think they are good enough to get next years team to the top.

Two guys plus some added in luck and Sweet Sixteen is possible. Don’t give up believing in believing. 🌈🥇

Reactions: perryhawk
Two guys plus some added in luck and Sweet Sixteen is possible. Don’t give up believing in believing. 🌈🥇
It's going to boil down to shooting again. I expect defense, rebounding, rim protection, turnovers all to be similar to this years team.

33.3% from 3 is the line in the sand. An incredible 17-1 when shooting that or better. Only 2-13 when below. It seemed this team got a lot of energy when they shoot well - everything seemed to be better.

I expect the same next year.

I'm going to spell it out for you people that are clamoring for Fran to get a stud from the portal. Fran has been at Iowa for 13 years and in that time he has had Adam Woodbury, Mike Gesell, Aaron White, Devin Marble, Peter Jok, Tyler Cook, Jordan Bohannan, Joe Wieskamp, Luka Garza, Keegan and Kris Murray and a few others that could be added to this list. Guess what folks, Iowa hadn't broke through to the sweat 16 with any of these Iowa legions.
So this year Fran apparently has a couple of open scholarships to fill and most on here think that Fran will go out and fill those ships with some great disenchanted players from the portal and suddenly Iowa with contend for the Big Ten and have a chance to advance to the field of 16.
It's not going to happen folks no matter how much you post on here that Iowa needs to improve their roster with the 1 or 2 scholarships that Fran has open and that's even if Fran doesn't bank one of them for the 24 class.
I know that upsets a lot of you but Iowa is going to have to do with the 10 scholarship players that are currently on the roster with the possibility of adding Nimmers and having maybe 1 more added from the portal. There's at least 2 more months until the end of the school year and the beginning of summer workouts so we'll see if any more players are added or substracted by then. Chill out folks, Iowa will be fine with the players they have. I think Fran knows what he doing as he will always recruit high school players first kind of coach and always will be.
Just speaking for myself..my hope at the high end is to make the tourney...that would be a successful year.
I really have not seen anyone with expectations beyond that.

Bottom line the college BB landscape has shifted almost overnite.
If Fran refuses to adjust one ounce we are in trouble.
KF is embracing his new reality but Fran will ignore it?
Fran is very smart and even last year was seeking transfer but did not have the NIL money to compete.
This year he does.
No guarantee he lands anyone but I hardly think he is just going through the motions as he is making contact with over a dozen possible transfers.
Like it or not(not) this is a new more cutthroat era of college sports.
Some players are getting big money..most are getting some money.
It is a two-way street. Coaches now are looking to upgrade their rosters constantly.
I hate it but you would have to be blind not to notice how many high impact transfers are on these sweet sixteen teams.
Iowa BB is at an inflection point as they lose almost half of their scholly players.
If not now, when?

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Id rather lose ulis over Bowen. More upside with him. Being an Iowa kid not worried about dix leaving. One of those 2 will start at Pg and backup will receive more minutes next year. I know some coaches like gatens very high on harding coming in for his decision making and passing. As Fran let Connor and perkins handle it a lot when ulis was out as backup. But I prefer perkins at 2 for as good as he is he sometimes makes some head scratching decisions and for being up tempo Fran still values a pg who takes care of the ball (i.e. jbo and Connor over joeT). But one thing tourney shows year after year is guard play matters a ton. And we’ve had great front court but never had that extremely talent 1-2 duo.

I think Freeman can come in and be that backup post we were hoping Josh O and mulvey could’ve been and give us 5-10 a night kind of like dix did this year in the backcourt. Interesting who we get in portal because Braun, the Belmont kid, seems like a good bench post player but not a starter.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkjt
Don't listen to the bonehead in this thread who all season long has been touting Mulvey as the starting big man. Iowa has been very aggressive and has mutual interest from a couple good centers right now. Iowa's NIL isn't above the top dogs, but it's probably in the top 30 for hoops. Just be patient--while the portal is like speed dating, relationships do take a bit of time to develop. I'd bet we see some movement this next week (and movement could be simply reporting of visits being scheduled).

Don't listen to the bonehead in this thread who all season long has been touting Mulvey as the starting big man. Iowa has been very aggressive and has mutual interest from a couple good centers right now. Iowa's NIL isn't above the top dogs, but it's probably in the top 30 for hoops. Just be patient--while the portal is like speed dating, relationships do take a bit of time to develop. I'd bet we see some movement this next week (and movement could be simply reporting of visits being scheduled).
If Mulvey was the answer we wouldn’t have brought in Brauns. I’m honestly surprised he’s still on the roster at this point.

Just speaking for myself..my hope at the high end is to make the tourney...that would be a successful year.
I really have not seen anyone with expectations beyond that.

Bottom line the college BB landscape has shifted almost overnite.
If Fran refuses to adjust one ounce we are in trouble.
KF is embracing his new reality but Fran will ignore it?
Fran is very smart and even last year was seeking transfer but did not have the NIL money to compete.
This year he does.
No guarantee he lands anyone but I hardly think he is just going through the motions as he is making contact with over a dozen possible transfers.
Like it or not(not) this is a new more cutthroat era of college sports.
Some players are getting big money..most are getting some money.
It is a two-way street. Coaches now are looking to upgrade their rosters constantly.
I hate it but you would have to be blind not to notice how many high impact transfers are on these sweet sixteen teams.
Iowa BB is at an inflection point as they lose almost half of their scholly players.
If not now, when?
Concur.

This is a critical juncture for Fran's tenure at Iowa.

Last year he claims no NIL $ availability to compete for portal transfers hurt us.

This year there is really no excuse.

$$ is available - at least enough to attract solid to above solid players who can help or start - and there is immediate playing time available. He needs to do better than Brauns, who at best will be a role player coming off the bench. A BJ Mack-type post and hopefully a PG (or Swing Guard) that can give offensive punch are on the wish list.

At the end of the day, if he can't attract some good players and keep Iowa from falling into the bottom four of the conference, then he must be held accountable. If other schools can find/attract those players then no reason Iowa can't.

Personally, there are two ways this can go for Fran that most fans would be fine with, he either maintains the Hawkeyes at their current status (top 6 in the conference, 19-21 wins a year, consistant NCAA participant) or he finally finds the 'flux capacitor' like Wisconsin did 20 years ago and gets us to the next level.

It starts now.

I too have been disappointed that we haven't had success in the dance under Fran, but I believe Fran will get at least one player from the portal, in addition to Brauns. I know Fran was not a fan of transfer and maybe he would prefer to develop players out of HS, but I think he now realizes that transfers are now the way it is in college basketball, as players also leave. Who knows whether Iowa can turn into the team we have been hoping for, but I believe that Iowa will go backwards if we don't add an impact big man in the portal this year. He won't need to score a lot of points (although that wouldn't hurt), but he needs to be a defensive presence around the basket and rebound.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I'm not worried about Mulvey or Brauns. We could use more and better probably, but who can't say that? I think that is a serviceable middle for us. Maybe not as much scoring but more blocks and rebounds.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT