ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Ulis, Ogundele to Transfer

Adam Jacobi

HR MVP
Staff
Dec 30, 2022
“We are all appreciative of Ahron and Josh’s contributions to our program the past three years,” said Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery. “Both were good teammates on three NCAA Tournament teams and helped us win a Big Ten championship. Both Ahron and Josh have bright futures. My staff and I will assist both players during this transition.”

Ulis, a 6'3" guard from Chicago, Illinois, started 27 games this season and averaged 6.1 points, 2.1 assists and 1.6 rebounds in 32 games.

“I want to thank the Iowa coaching staff for giving me the opportunity to play college basketball at this level and become a Big Ten champion,” said Ulis in a statement. “I also would like to thank my teammates and fans for embracing and supporting me over the past three years. I have built lifelong relationships and brotherhoods during my time as a Hawkeye. With that being said, I have decided to enter my name into the transfer portal and begin my next journey as a student-athlete.”

Ogundele had entered the transfer portal after the 2021-22 season, but returned to the program this year for his junior year of eligibility. He scored 21 points in limited action across 11 games.

“Being a part of three NCAA Tournament teams and winning a Big Ten championship with my teammates is something that I am extremely thankful for and will forever cherish,” Ogundele said in a statement. “Thank you to my teammates, coaching staff and fans for embracing me over the past three years. At this time, I believe it is in my best interest to enter the transfer portal as I continue to chase my dreams.”

Read more here:

I guess Ulis was seeing his minutes go down and the loss of his starting position? Maybe because of Harding and Nimmers? I hope that's the reason.

I'm not sure what Josh is going to find that he didn't last year. Maybe he's planning to lower his sights? I'm sure sitting on the bench for 3 years was no fun.

Best of luck to them both.

I guess Ulis was seeing his minutes go down and the loss of his starting position? Maybe because of Harding and Nimmers? I hope that's the reason.

I'm not sure what Josh is going to find that he didn't last year. Maybe he's planning to lower his sights? I'm sure sitting on the bench for 3 years was no fun.

Best of luck to them both.
I would like to see JO at Drake next year. I agree Ulis read the writing on the wall after watching film of Nimmers and the potential of Harding and Bowen.

Last edited:
“We are all appreciative of Ahron and Josh’s contributions to our program the past three years,” said Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery. “Both were good teammates on three NCAA Tournament teams and helped us win a Big Ten championship. Both Ahron and Josh have bright futures. My staff and I will assist both players during this transition.”

Ulis, a 6'3" guard from Chicago, Illinois, started 27 games this season and averaged 6.1 points, 2.1 assists and 1.6 rebounds in 32 games.

“I want to thank the Iowa coaching staff for giving me the opportunity to play college basketball at this level and become a Big Ten champion,” said Ulis in a statement. “I also would like to thank my teammates and fans for embracing and supporting me over the past three years. I have built lifelong relationships and brotherhoods during my time as a Hawkeye. With that being said, I have decided to enter my name into the transfer portal and begin my next journey as a student-athlete.”

Ogundele had entered the transfer portal after the 2021-22 season, but returned to the program this year for his junior year of eligibility. He scored 21 points in limited action across 11 games.

“Being a part of three NCAA Tournament teams and winning a Big Ten championship with my teammates is something that I am extremely thankful for and will forever cherish,” Ogundele said in a statement. “Thank you to my teammates, coaching staff and fans for embracing me over the past three years. At this time, I believe it is in my best interest to enter the transfer portal as I continue to chase my dreams.”

Read more here:

• Haha
Reactions: tweeterhawk
One more “ early departure” or one more “portal entry”?

If we are just talking about early departures, Kris Murray’s departure for the NBA draft is the obvious answer.

I haven't heard who. I just heard expect a third to join them.
That would align closer to the Hawk Central "Huge Offseason Turnover" (title something to that effect, I wasn't able to read it) article. I wouldn't consider JO and Ulis (plus the widely expected Murray NBA departure) as "huge turnover".

FWIW, there's a poster on TOS who claims he's heard from someone close to the program that both Perkins and Bowen will be back. Again, take it with a grain of salt.

That would align closer to the Hawk Central "Huge Offseason Turnover" (title something to that effect, I wasn't able to read it) article. I wouldn't consider JO and Ulis (plus the widely expected Murray NBA departure) as "huge turnover".

FWIW, there's a poster on TOS who claims he's heard from someone close to the program that both Perkins and Bowen will be back. Again, take it with a grain of salt.
The Hawk Central article did not speculate at all on transfers out FWIW--their "huge turnover" was talking about how 3 starters were leaving in Filip, Kris and Connor.

I would like to see JO at Drake next year. I agree Ulis read the writing on the wall after watching film of Nimmers and the potential of Harding and Bowen.
I was thinking the same thing, the drake coach knows how to utilize a power center with little outside game, as he as the same piece this year.

• Haha
Reactions: GHawk and HawkOn15
I heard one more is possible. Any guesses?
Thinking through the possibilities:
  • Bowen. Reasons have been discussed, but the Ulis departure makes it less likely.
  • Mulvey. Like Bowen, has been discussed before. But also like Bowen, the Ogundele departure makes it a little less likely. But still possible, especially if Brauns is coming in.
  • Perkins. Possible, but not likely. He is talking like someone who plans on sticking around. The case for Perkins leaving would be that he could possibly land a lucrative NIL deal for a top-level team in need of a player with his skillset.
  • Dix. I can’t see it, but stranger things have happened.
  • Sandfort. Zero chance, especially with his brother joining the team next year
  • McCaffery. I’ve discussed Patrick as my long-shot transfer pick before. I have no idea what’s going on with his mental health, but it’s not hard for me to envision a scenario in which Patrick (or his family) sees a benefit to a fresh start somewhere where he doesn’t have the pressure of being the coach’s kid. That said, there’s been rumors that Patrick and Brauns have already made plans to live together next year, so this is still a pretty big long-shot
  • Nimmers. Maybe looking for a scholarship opportunity elsewhere? Was the recent video release a way to test the market for his skills?
  • Kingsbury. Could be looking for a scholarship opportunity at a smaller school?
  • Laketa. See Kingsbury.
  • Eldridge. See Kingsbury, Laketa. Less likely, given that he is playing for his father.

Reactions: perryhawk
I hope not too. I’ve seen enough to think that Fran should start him next year. He has quickness, vision and ability to finish that we’ve not seen at Iowa in forever.
I find it humorous other posters are already slotting either a 5’11” high schooler or a pwo, after seeing 1 highlight practice video, in the starting line-up ahead of bowen. Bowen showed flashes of some serious potential this season. Maybe nimmers and harding are that good…but color me a little skeptical

I find it humorous other posters are already slotting either a 5’11” high schooler or a pwo, after seeing 1 highlight practice video, in the starting line-up ahead of bowen. Bowen showed flashes of some serious potential this season. Maybe nimmers and harding are that good…but color me a little skeptical
My perspective is the 1 is open for competition, but JMO.

I agree. Dasonte looked really good to me. He just made Freshman mistakes that you kind of expect from a point guard. It's very difficult to come in and play PG as a true freshman at the Big Ten level.

I'm hopeful Bowen stays because I see a lot of potential in him. I hope we have the problem of too many good point guards on the roster. With the transfer portal, you won't have that issue long. Someone will transfer out after next year if they're good enough and not getting enough playing time.

I think if Bowen could have earned more minutes while competing for time with Ahron Ulis, fans would have more confidence in his abilities. But I agree with you that Bowen has potential. Way too early to slot Nimmers or Harding in ahead of him.

That said, I predict we will see Perkins starting at the point next year. He might not be a “true point guard,” but he brings a lot of strengths to the spot. And more importantly, perhaps, sliding Perkins over to the 1 opens up a spot for a strong shooter (possibly from the portal) at the 2.

Reactions: nelly02

Did you miss Braden Smith this year? It isnt that crazy based on everything known on Harding.

Reactions: skydog0784
I think if Bowen could have earned more minutes while competing for time with Ahron Ulis, fans would have more confidence in his abilities. But I agree with you that Bowen has potential. Way too early to slot Nimmers or Harding in ahead of him.

That said, I predict we will see Perkins starting at the point next year. He might not be a “true point guard,” but he brings a lot of strengths to the spot. And more importantly, perhaps, sliding Perkins over to the 1 opens up a spot for a strong shooter (possibly from the portal) at the 2.
Or if Josh Dix takes a significant step forward he could play the 2G?

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if none of the players being mentioned start next year. I think most likely it will be Perk and Dix starting at the guard positions. They were the 2 best guards this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT