ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Ulis, Ogundele to Transfer

Concur.

This is a critical juncture for Fran's tenure at Iowa.

Last year he claims no NIL $ availability to compete for portal transfers hurt us.

This year there is really no excuse.

$$ is available - at least enough to attract solid to above solid players who can help or start - and there is immediate playing time available. He needs to do better than Brauns, who at best will be a role player coming off the bench. A BJ Mack-type post and hopefully a PG (or Swing Guard) that can give offensive punch are on the wish list.

At the end of the day, if he can't attract some good players and keep Iowa from falling into the bottom four of the conference, then he must be held accountable. If other schools can find/attract those players then no reason Iowa can't.

Personally, there are two ways this can go for Fran that most fans would be fine with, he either maintains the Hawkeyes at their current status (top 6 in the conference, 19-21 wins a year, consistant NCAA participant) or he finally finds the 'flux capacitor' like Wisconsin did 20 years ago and gets us to the next level.

It starts now.

This kind of pessimism is just not warranted. Iowa has made 7 of last 9 NCAAs. Would be 8/10 had 2020 been played, we were not on the bubble. The incoming freshmen are a very good class, two 4*s, starting forwards for maybe three years, and a 6'10-11" center that about everyone in the conference offered. We're a year off a BTT win.

I'd like to see more success in March, as would we all. We are not a Tier 1 program but we are not at some crossroads between our current level of success and bottom feeder status. McC may have a losing season next season, or some other time, but so did Lute, George and Dr. Davis. We will have lost a lot of talent in the last two years so next year may be rough. Or maybe, like a good program, we have guys step up and sustain the current level of success. That seems to have been the case for the last 5 seasons.

The quickest way to become a bottom feeder is firing a successful coach in pursuit of a more successful coach. Alford/Lickliter did damage from which we have still not recovered.

Don't listen to the bonehead in this thread who all season long has been touting Mulvey as the starting big man. Iowa has been very aggressive and has mutual interest from a couple good centers right now. Iowa's NIL isn't above the top dogs, but it's probably in the top 30 for hoops. Just be patient--while the portal is like speed dating, relationships do take a bit of time to develop. I'd bet we see some movement this next week (and movement could be simply reporting of visits being scheduled).
I'll tell you what HH80, if Mulvey isn't given a chance to start at center in November, I will admit that I was wrong and give you credit being right, but if Riley turns out to contribute to Iowa's success next year I expect the same from you.
There's one thing I'd like to ask you before I put this debate to bed until we here otherwise.
What had you seen from Riley's play this year that makes you think that he's not going to be a serviceable player for Iowa in the next 2 years? He only saw the floor during the non-conference part of the season and when he did get to play he did nothing to think that he was a waste of a scholarship, he rebounded, made his free throws, set screens for his teammates, altered shots, and ran the floor which is what you want from a center that is 7ft tall. Enlighten me!

I'll tell you what HH80, if Mulvey isn't given a chance to start at center in November, I will admit that I was wrong and give you credit being right, but if Riley turns out to contribute to Iowa's success next year I expect the same from you.
There's one thing I'd like to ask you before I put this debate to bed until we here otherwise.
What had you seen from Riley's play this year that makes you think that he's not going to be a serviceable player for Iowa in the next 2 years? He only saw the floor during the non-conference part of the season and when he did get to play he did nothing to think that he was a waste of a scholarship, he rebounded, made his free throws, set screens for his teammates, altered shots, and ran the floor which is what you want from a center that is 7ft tall. Enlighten me!
When he has entered the game, he doesn't seem to understand what the sets are and where he is supposed to be. Let's not forget that throughout the season, when Jelly was healthy he was ahead of Mulvey on the depth chart. If he couldn't beat out Jelly this year, that makes me think he's unlikely to beat out Brauns or a different transfer next season. If he's 3rd (or even 4th) on the depth chart next season like I expect, then he's not going to see minutes. One of Fran's first comments after the Auburn loss was that they would be going out after a big man and every insider I've listened to on podcasts/radio hits have stated that Fran is being very aggressive trying to line up a starting caliber center in addition to Brauns. If Fran trusted and liked Mulvey so much, why was Fran so desperately trying to not only get an additional Big in the 2023 class (Dembele) but has also been aggressive with trying to get a portal big? The recruiting moves that Fran has made (he's also aggressively wanting another big in 2024) does not seem to indicate that Mulvey is in their future plans.

Here's what I imagine the 5 rotation/depth chart to be next year:
Transfer Big--23 minutes
Owen Freeman--12 minutes
Even Brauns--5 minutes
Ladji Dembele--Small ball lineups for certain matchups

And yeah, if Fran completely whiffs on the portal this year and Mulvey has to play real minutes, I'll eat crow. But the money is there to make a decent sized splash. Again, we don't have Miami money or Duke money, but Iowa is doing just fine in the NIL arms race to be competitive.

When he has entered the game, he doesn't seem to understand what the sets are and where he is supposed to be. Let's not forget that throughout the season, when Jelly was healthy he was ahead of Mulvey on the depth chart. If he couldn't beat out Jelly this year, that makes me think he's unlikely to beat out Brauns or a different transfer next season. If he's 3rd (or even 4th) on the depth chart next season like I expect, then he's not going to see minutes. One of Fran's first comments after the Auburn loss was that they would be going out after a big man and every insider I've listened to on podcasts/radio hits have stated that Fran is being very aggressive trying to line up a starting caliber center in addition to Brauns. If Fran trusted and liked Mulvey so much, why was Fran so desperately trying to not only get an additional Big in the 2023 class (Dembele) but has also been aggressive with trying to get a portal big? The recruiting moves that Fran has made (he's also aggressively wanting another big in 2024) does not seem to indicate that Mulvey is in their future plans.

Here's what I imagine the 5 rotation/depth chart to be next year:
Transfer Big--23 minutes
Owen Freeman--12 minutes
Even Brauns--5 minutes
Ladji Dembele--Small ball lineups for certain matchups

And yeah, if Fran completely whiffs on the portal this year and Mulvey has to play real minutes, I'll eat crow. But the money is there to make a decent sized splash. Again, we don't have Miami money or Duke money, but Iowa is doing just fine in the NIL arms race to be competitive.
Thanks for your replay, I don't agree with all of your assessment as you don't agree with mine but we're Hawk fans and only want what's best for Iowa. Go Hawks...

This kind of pessimism is just not warranted. Iowa has made 7 of last 9 NCAAs. Would be 8/10 had 2020 been played, we were not on the bubble. The incoming freshmen are a very good class, two 4*s, starting forwards for maybe three years, and a 6'10-11" center that about everyone in the conference offered. We're a year off a BTT win.

I'd like to see more success in March, as would we all. We are not a Tier 1 program but we are not at some crossroads between our current level of success and bottom feeder status. McC may have a losing season next season, or some other time, but so did Lute, George and Dr. Davis. We will have lost a lot of talent in the last two years so next year may be rough. Or maybe, like a good program, we have guys step up and sustain the current level of success. That seems to have been the case for the last 5 seasons.

The quickest way to become a bottom feeder is firing a successful coach in pursuit of a more successful coach. Alford/Lickliter did damage from which we have still not recovered.
Great post.

Reactions: Hawksfinal4
Not sure what you were watching. Riley looked absolutely lost the first few games he played this year, and never had a game where I came away confident that he would be a major contributor in the future. Big guys often take a while to develop and he does have athletic ability and length, so I still have hope that he can at least be a solid back up. Relying on him to be the man at center next year would be foolhardy IMO, if Fran can get a guy who has demonstrated he is very good to transfer to Iowa. I actually hope you are right. It is hard not to root for a kid who has so much joy in watching his teammates succeed.

The tournament results this year show very clearly that teams can become really good overnight, if they can add a couple of players. Hard to believe that some of the schools with success have more resources than Iowa, at least now that we have some NIL resources. There are kids playing for lower level schools who for some reason were underrecruited out of HS, or they developed late. Fran has an eye for talent, only he needs to shift his emphasis to athleticism and toughness.

The tournament results this year show very clearly that teams can become really good overnight, if they can add a couple of players. Hard to believe that some of the schools with success have more resources than Iowa, at least now that we have some NIL resources. There are kids playing for lower level schools who for some reason were underrecruited out of HS, or they developed late. Fran has an eye for talent, only he needs to shift his emphasis to athleticism and toughness.
First of all a coach especially a young first year coach that has multiple open scholarships to fill, can indeed change the culture of his team and become relevant within the first year or one year, especially if he has a great staff to work with and target the right players athletically, physically, and mentally.
On the other hand, if a coach like Fran who enjoys recruiting high school kids and developing them over time, which his been his MO his entire coaching career he probably doesn't feel comfortable going to the portal. That doesn't mean he wont, case in point Bakari Evelyn and Pilip Rebraca. Both those players turned out to be productive, but neither of them moved the needle very much in helping Iowa reach the sweet 16.
Everyone thinks that Iowa needs to get an impactful player from the portal for Iowa to be successful next year, how many on here really believes Fran is capable of doing that, especially since Iowa has 5 freshman coming on board this coming year. Iowa will have 2 seniors in Patrick and Tony, 2 juniors in Payton and Mulvey,
2 sophomores in Josh, and Dasonte and the 5 freshman.
I do not, as I still think Fran will hold at least 1 scholarship back to add a player to the 24 recruiting year.

First of all a coach especially a young first year coach that has multiple open scholarships to fill, can indeed change the culture of his team and become relevant within the first year or one year, especially if he has a great staff to work with and target the right players athletically, physically, and mentally.
On the other hand, if a coach like Fran who enjoys recruiting high school kids and developing them over time, which his been his MO his entire coaching career he probably doesn't feel comfortable going to the portal. That doesn't mean he wont, case in point Bakari Evelyn and Pilip Rebraca. Both those players turned out to be productive, but neither of them moved the needle very much in helping Iowa reach the sweet 16.
Everyone thinks that Iowa needs to get an impactful player from the portal for Iowa to be successful next year, how many on here really believes Fran is capable of doing that, especially since Iowa has 5 freshman coming on board this coming year. Iowa will have 2 seniors in Patrick and Tony, 2 juniors in Payton and Mulvey,
I do not, as I still think Fran will hold at least 1 scholarship back to add a player to the 24 recruiting year.
I agree with your summary. I also think his portal acquisitions will be underwhelming. Hope we are wrong.

Without an impact big man from the portal, the likelihood of finishing in the top half of the B1G will be very low next year IMO. It should be very easy to sell playing time to an experienced big man, and it would actually help to balance out the classes to add someone with one or two years of eligibility remaining. Why don't you wait for a few months before you start bitching about Fran not bringing someone in? Last year was a failure, but without NIL, Fran was at a huge disadvantage. This year, he should have the tools to do more.

It's been 13 years. A hoops program can bounce back pretty quick. If Iowa's hasn't yet...it's no longer on Alford or Lick.

Last edited:
B***sh**. It's been 13 years. A hoops program can bounce back pretty quick. If Iowa's hasn't yet...it's no longer on Alford or Lick.
Well I like going to the NCAA 80% of the time, I like BTT wins and I like 20+ winning seasons with little or no drama. So McC, for whom I do not have a great deal of personal affinity, has a baseline that is frustrating but tolerable.

I did not like the Alford failure, the Alford drama, the Lickliter collapse and the Lickliter tragedy. Really ****ing hated those scenarios. Alford and Lickliter were the hottest guys on the Carousel when Iowa hired each of them. Jesus, Lickliter was NCoY, coming off a Butler Sweet 16, the second in like 4-6 seasons, and his hire was disastrous. Most new hires in most sports fail, that is a simple statistical reality. So unless you think there is someone guaranteed to do better at Iowa, so not a BB or a pirate ship, I've seen the elephant and I can live with the status quo.

Bob Seger says it so much better.

Well I like going to the NCAA 80% of the time, I like BTT wins and I like 20+ winning seasons with little or no drama. So McC, for whom I do not have a great deal of personal affinity, has a baseline that is frustrating but tolerable.

I did not like the Alford failure, the Alford drama, the Lickliter collapse and the Lickliter tragedy. Really ****ing hated those scenarios. Alford and Lickliter were the hottest guys on the Carousel when Iowa hired each of them. Jesus, Lickliter was NCoY, coming off a Butler Sweet 16, the second in like 4-6 seasons, and his hire was disastrous. Most new hires in most sports fail, that is a simple statistical reality. So unless you think there is someone guaranteed to do better at Iowa, so not a BB or a pirate ship, I've seen the elephant and I can live with the status quo.

Bob Seger says it so much better.

If you find the current level of the program acceptable, that's cool. No argument.

But it's time to get past using Alford and Lick as an excuse...they are a looong distance in the rear view mirror.

(love me some Bob Seger)

If you find the current level of the program acceptable, that's cool. No argument.

But it's time to get past using Alford and Lick as an excuse...they are a looong distance in the rear view mirror.

(love me some Bob Seger)
Just played it out on guitar.

No, we agree. The Dark Ages are long gone. I was using them as examples-with Lick a truly shining example of the likely failure of coaching changes even when they look idiot proof, as did Lick.

I'd like to win more. I'm not sure if that is any longer possible at Iowa. We are poorly situated for the brave new world of media-controlled farce pretending to represent America's student athletes learning from healthy competition.

Last edited:
Just played it out on guitar.

No, we agree. The Dark Ages are long gone. I was using them of examples-with Lick a truly shining example of the likely failure of coaching changes even when they look idiot proof, as did Lick.

I'd like to win. I'm not sure if that is any longer possible at Iowa. We are poorly situated for the brave new world of media-controlled farce pretending to represent America's student athletes learning from healthy competition.
More so than San Diego State? Florida Atlantic? Dog I think you get so caught up in Iowa not being a so called blue blood you always think the world is against us. If the 4 schools who made it this year can do it there is absolutely no reason to think we cannot do it at some point in our future.

The Ncaa Tournament metrics are pretty simple you have to be able to play defense to make a decent run or even get to the sweet 16, Fran has not show any desire to change that, is it coaching or recruiting or both. After 13 years and still the same glaring problems will he change his stripes.

More so than San Diego State? Florida Atlantic? Dog I think you get so caught up in Iowa not being a so called blue blood you always think the world is against us. If the 4 schools who made it this year can do it there is absolutely no reason to think we cannot do it at some point in our future.
The world is against us and its getting worse. Those schools will struggle as the NIL sinks in.

Also, we're a P5 program so we're too big to be a lovable underdog but insufficiently important to catch many breaks. We won't die quite as fast in basketball as football. Indeed, I foresee Iowa, and many schools like us, will simply surrender in football and focus our money on basketball where we really only need to hire 4 or 5 really good employees to stay competitive in amateur college athletics.

The problem with Fran is out of the 11 to 13 scholarships he has at his disposal, he only gets 2 or 3 really good players and the rest are marginal to OK. That's been the reason Iowa has only achieved what they have achieved the last 8 years or so. Good enough to make the NCAA tournament but not good enough to advance past the second round.
I don't think Fran will ever embrace the portal, he's always been a high school recruiter first and foremost and takes pride in developing players, that's not the most terrible trait to have as a coach but if Iowa fans are clamoring for Fran to change, it probably is something that will take time, if at all.
Fran is still a wonderful coach and is loved by his players as there has been very few players from year to year that have left the program except for a few since the advent of the portal.
For Iowa to improve in the future, if Fran is to continue to just recruit high school players, he needs to use the NIL money to lure higher rated players to come to Iowa. Hopefully it has begun with the class of 23.
If he does hit the portal, I hope he can indeed get a impact player at whatever position he gets.

The Ncaa Tournament metrics are pretty simple you have to be able to play defense to make a decent run or even get to the sweet 16, Fran has not show any desire to change that, is it coaching or recruiting or both. After 13 years and still the same glaring problems will he change his stripes.
That is usually the case, but there are always anomaly's. Miami is in the final 4 with a pre-tournament KenPom defensive efficiency ranking in the 130s. They actually have a lot of metrics similarly to many Iowa teams--bad defense but a top 10 offense. Outside of their first game against Drake, they've put up 85+ the past 3 games.

However, they do have shot creating guards, which is something Iowa's offense doesn't have. That's the main difference.

McC, for whom I do not have a great deal of personal affinity, has a baseline that is frustrating but tolerable.

… Most new hires in most sports fail, that is a simple statistical reality. So unless you think there is someone guaranteed to do better at Iowa

Lol, so it has to be a “guarantee” for you?

For the majority of fans I think there comes a time where it’s acceptable to roll the dice.

Not every coaching change has to be a “replace Lickliter” immediately scenario. Sometimes it just needs to happen because the program has obviously peaked (stagnated) under the current leadership.

Iowa is getting close to that situation.

I’d give Fran a few more years at most to get over the hump or ask him to pack his bags. Before that happens, a new AD must be hired first.

Lol, so it has to be a “guarantee” for you?

For the majority of fans I think there comes a time where it’s acceptable to roll the dice.

Not every coaching change has to be a “replace Lickliter” immediately scenario. Sometimes it just needs to happen because the program has obviously peaked (stagnated) under the current leadership.

Iowa is getting close to that situation.

I’d give Fran a few more years at most to get over the hump or ask him to pack his bags. Before that happens, a new AD must be hired first.
I think this quote is a good point for discussion: "A time where it's acceptable to roll the dice." I am guessing that you are correct in the assertion that a "majority" of fans feel that way...or at least the vocal majority does.

That said, it's not about replacing with a Todd L......that's a mistake that hopefully wouldn't be repeated.

There is the issue firing and then finding other coaches who either do a little less than Fran, maybe a little more than Fran, and hopefully no worse than Fran has done....because we could EASILY go a decade trying to figure that out....and the program then loses some of it's fan base...certainly loses some of the passion. And we are 10 years down the road and no different than where we are now....and maybe a little worse off.

So, to the point made that you were responding to......yeah, I want something close to a guarantee. I don't want to role the dice because of the long term effect.

I think this quote is a good point for discussion: "A time where it's acceptable to roll the dice." I am guessing that you are correct in the assertion that a "majority" of fans feel that way...or at least the vocal majority does.

That said, it's not about replacing with a Todd L......that's a mistake that hopefully wouldn't be repeated.

There is the issue firing and then finding other coaches who either do a little less than Fran, maybe a little more than Fran, and hopefully no worse than Fran has done....because we could EASILY go a decade trying to figure that out....and the program then loses some of it's fan base...certainly loses some of the passion. And we are 10 years down the road and no different than where we are now....and maybe a little worse off.

So, to the point made that you were responding to......yeah, I want something close to a guarantee. I don't want to role the dice because of the long term effect.
It's quite amazing how fast folks take for granted how difficult it is to make the NCAA tournament year after year. It's not some stroll in the park that gets a bid. Of course fans should want more--I do too. We were a bounce or a call away from completing the comeback against Tennessee just a few years ago--would we even be having this discussion if Iowa completes that comeback?

The last 5 seasons:
Iowa 10 seed--takes Tennessee to OT for a S16 birth
Iowa projected 6 seed, no tournament
Iowa 2 seed
Iowa 5 seed & BTT title
Iowa 8 seed.

Of course we need to get to the second weekend, but if these results continue I think it's more likely than not that Iowa eventually breaks through. I get that's the difference between myself and other fans--I think Iowa's best shot at getting to the S16 is for Fran to make some tweaks and hopefully continue to keep getting to the tournament year after year; others think it's best to totally scrap this and roll the dice on a new coach.

It's quite amazing how fast folks take for granted how difficult it is to make the NCAA tournament year after year. It's not some stroll in the park that gets a bid. Of course fans should want more--I do too. We were a bounce or a call away from completing the comeback against Tennessee just a few years ago--would we even be having this discussion if Iowa completes that comeback?

The last 5 seasons:
Iowa 2 seed
Iowa 5 seed & BTT title
Iowa 8 seed.

Of course we need to get to the second weekend, but if these results continue I think it's more likely than not that Iowa eventually breaks through. I get that's the difference between myself and other fans--I think Iowa's best shot at getting to the S16 is for Fran to make some tweaks and hopefully continue to keep getting to the tournament year after year; others think it's best to totally scrap this and roll the dice on a new coach.
The bold is the part I do not see McCaffery doing.

McCaffery does not appear to realize the defense is bad a large percentage of the time and the guards are lacking (ball handling, driving to the basket, and shooting as examples) he must be oblivious to reality. He continues to recruit the same type players, play substandard defense, plays his boys, and bombs threes up there, makes very few in game adjustments, and refuses to use his timeouts when another team makes a run. The aforementioned are the reasons I no longer believe in FM. JMO

The bold is the part I do not see McCaffery doing.

McCaffery does not appear to realize the defense is bad a large percentage of the time and the guards are lacking (ball handling, driving to the basket, and shooting as examples) he must be oblivious to reality. He continues to recruit the same type players, play substandard defense, plays his boys, and bombs threes up there, makes very few in game adjustments, and refuses to use his timeouts when another team makes a run. The aforementioned are the reasons I no longer believe in FM. JMO
Fran's a competitor and wants to win. All coaches do. So to say that he's unwilling to make tweaks and changes is weird. He changes his offense around to his personnel from year-to-year so he's definitely capable of change. I think there's this perception that there's this huge chasm between where Iowa is currently and Iowa reaching the S16 or further--they really are not far off at all. That's why I used the word tweaks instead of changes. IMO, getting better athletes at the guard position who can stop dribble drives and getting a rim protecting center will go a long, long ways. I think Bowen and Perkins could be the type of guard I want, they just need to get better defensively. Fran has been very aggressive in the portal--he's already met in person with at least 2 prospects that we know of.
Some of your stuff I just flat out disagree with, like making game-adjustments; Iowa this year was a much better second half team and had some massive comebacks--you don't get those without making in-game adjustments. Patrick came off the bench this year and is likely to this coming year with Payton starting. Dembele and Bowen are 2 recent recruits that are not typical Iowa recruits. There's lots of things to criticize Fran for and some of your points are valid and are things that need to continue to improve. Bluder went to 7 straight NCAA tournaments without a S16 and is now coaching in the Final 4. Sometimes patience pays off.

SDSU is pretty well situated, if you think about it. Maybe not from a TV $$$ standpoint but certainly from a local talent standpoint. There are a lot people living in Southern California (San Diego county alone has roughly the same # of people as the entire state of Iowa) and they are a well-respected program that's been consistently good for 15+ years. Even if they don't get the absolute cream-of-the-crop 5* guys, there's still lots of 3-4* guys who are athletic enough to play good defense at the high major level.

Florida Atlantic is on a heater this year. Same as happens to some random obscure team in the NCAA tournament practically every year. Their coach will leave for greener pastures because of it (maybe he'll be successful, maybe not) and they will go return to obscurity. NCAA Tournament is such a crap shoot that it's unwise to put too much stock in Tournament results one way or the other.

Fran's a competitor and wants to win. All coaches do. So to say that he's unwilling to make tweaks and changes is weird. He changes his offense around to his personnel from year-to-year so he's definitely capable of change. I think there's this perception that there's this huge chasm between where Iowa is currently and Iowa reaching the S16 or further--they really are not far off at all. That's why I used the word tweaks instead of changes. IMO, getting better athletes at the guard position who can stop dribble drives and getting a rim protecting center will go a long, long ways. I think Bowen and Perkins could be the type of guard I want, they just need to get better defensively. Fran has been very aggressive in the portal--he's already met in person with at least 2 prospects that we know of.
Some of your stuff I just flat out disagree with, like making game-adjustments; Iowa this year was a much better second half team and had some massive comebacks--you don't get those without making in-game adjustments. Patrick came off the bench this year and is likely to this coming year with Payton starting. Dembele and Bowen are 2 recent recruits that are not typical Iowa recruits. There's lots of things to criticize Fran for and some of your points are valid and are things that need to continue to improve. Bluder went to 7 straight NCAA tournaments without a S16 and is now coaching in the Final 4. Sometimes patience pays off.
Okay fine and several things you say I disagree with and are weird, just different opinions. When do we see all these tweaks pay off and we vie for BIG title and/or NCAA tourney run? Most fans would like to see more success in the men's BBall program not just middle of the pack repeatedly with McCaffery. When that happens people will quiet down about his coaching skills IMO. Until then I expect a lot of folks are going to continue to complain. Obviously, different perspectives and 13 years is being pretty patient.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Fran has been pretty successful at Iowa. Lots of good teams but never any great ones. In my book, making the NCAA Tournament as an at-large team isn't easy and means that you've had a good season. We have been good enough to do that in 8 of the last 10 seasons. NCAA tournament runs, or lack thereof, are a poor way of evaluating a coach/program - sample size is too low. Give me a larger dataset over a 18-20 high-major conference schedule. Fran has been winning about 55% of those games after his first couple years when the program was still in a mineshaft. 55% over 10+ years is pretty impressive for a school like Iowa.

I am concerned though that he won't be able to maintain this level of success in the new era. He has never been very good at winning head-to-head recruiting battles for coveted prospects (in fact, no Iowa MBB coach since Raveling has been very successful at this, if we are being honest with ourselves). His strength as a recruiter has always been more along the lines of finding under-rated players. But transfers are basically known quantities so it becomes a head-to-head battle with other high-major programs, rather than a talent evaluation thing. Will Fran be able to win those? I'm skeptical. Also, will he be able to keep our "diamonds in the rough" when blue bloods come sniffing around? We've already lost one such player in CJ Fredrick and I'm worried that will become a bigger problem down the road. I worry that we will lose more talent via the portal than we bring in via the portal.

There are no guarantees, that's my point.

At the time, both Alford and Lickliter were classified as guarantees were they not?

Of course the NEW AD will search for the best fit and "guarantee" that the program will remain at least where Fran has gotten it with the expectation he will take it to the next level...BTC/S16

That is all any of us can expect...but it can't be guaranteed.

Will you not leave your house today because there is no guarantee you won't get run over by a bus?

The last 5 seasons:
Iowa 2 seed
Iowa 5 seed & BTT title
Iowa 8 seed.

Success in the portal (starting now) will be critical on whether that trend continues.

Adding Brauns and promoting Nimmers won't be nearly enough.

I like the incoming recruiting class, but no immediate impact contributors from what I can see.

I'm on the record to give Fran a few more years, so even if they take a step back this year I won't be clamoring for his removal. He still needs to either win a BTC or get them to the S16 in the next few years or I will start advocating for a new HC*

*need to hire new AD first, like now

Success in the portal (starting now) will be critical on whether that trend continues.

Adding Brauns and promoting Nimmers won't be nearly enough.

I like the incoming recruiting class, but no immediate impact contributors from what I can see.

I'm on the record to give Fran a few more years, so even if they take a step back this year I won't be clamoring for his removal. He still needs to either win a BTC or get them to the S16 in the next few years or I will start advocating for a new HC*

*need to hire new AD first, like now
If Fran strikes out completely in the portal we will have issues next year, no doubt. He does seem to be out there working his tail off to try and land guys--he's been on the east coast the past couple of days doing in-home visits. I'm hopeful as it seems like Fran is being aggressive and he has some financial backing this year. Time will tell on how successful he is though.

The world is against us and its getting worse. Those schools will struggle as the NIL sinks in.

Also, we're a P5 program so we're too big to be a lovable underdog but insufficiently important to catch many breaks. We won't die quite as fast in basketball as football. Indeed, I foresee Iowa, and many schools like us, will simply surrender in football and focus our money on basketball where we really only need to hire 4 or 5 really good employees to stay competitive in amateur college athletics.
Interesting thought that may in fact happen to a lot of schools.

Hope not,.. 5 minutes is about right for a preferred walk on playing back up.

We looked at him out of high school. Starting center for division 1 school. Friend of the family from his West High days. All of that leads me to believe that he gets more than 5 minutes a game.. Also not shocked if he doesn't come to Iowa, not shocked if he does.

Reactions: perryhawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT