ADVERTISEMENT

Ulis suspended for exhibition game

TomKakert

Publisher, HawkeyeReport.com
Sep 16, 2001
IOWA CITY, Iowa -- University of Iowa men’s basketball guard Ahron Ulis was cited on Thursday for disorderly conduct by Iowa City law enforcement officials for an altercation that occurred earlier this month.

Ulis will be suspended for Iowa’s exhibition game on Oct. 31. He is subject to the rules and regulations of the UI Student-Athlete Code of Conduct, and the rules and regulations established for members of the men’s basketball program.

The Chicago native averaged 3.1 points, 2.1 assists, and 2.0 rebounds in 35 games last season.

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- University of Iowa men’s basketball guard Ahron Ulis was cited on Thursday for disorderly conduct by Iowa City law enforcement officials for an altercation that occurred earlier this month.

Ulis will be suspended for Iowa’s exhibition game on Oct. 31. He is subject to the rules and regulations of the UI Student-Athlete Code of Conduct, and the rules and regulations established for members of the men’s basketball program.

The Chicago native averaged 3.1 points, 2.1 assists, and 2.0 rebounds in 35 games last season.
naughty nugget

The way the disorderly conduct statute is written, it is pretty easy to cite just about anyone for it. I've fought it on vagueness and therefore unconstitutional. It has worked in front of some magistrates and not in front of others.
That’s my opinion as well. A grumpy cop could issue a disorderly conduct for someone simply asking a question to the officer that he the officer didn’t like or questioning the legality of the officer’s interference.

8-5-1: DISORDERLY CONDUCT:

A. Any person who commits any of the following acts shall be guilty of disorderly conduct:

1. Makes unreasonable noise in public with the purpose of causing, or recklessly creating a risk of causing, a breach of the peace.

2. Makes unreasonable noise in the vicinity of any residence with an intentional or reckless disregard for causing distress to the occupants thereof. (1978 Code §24-47)

3. Engages in fighting or violent behavior in any public place or in or near any lawful assembly of persons, provided, that participants in athletic contests may engage in such conduct which is reasonably related to that sport.

4. Acts in a threatening or violent manner toward another whereby:

a. Any person is placed in fear of safety of the person's life, limb or health;

b. The property of any person is placed in danger of being destroyed or damaged; or

c. The lawful pursuits of another are substantially curtailed.

5. Uses inflammatory language in public which the person using the language knows or reasonably should know is likely to provoke an imminent violent reaction by another.

6. Places their own person in or on any public way so as to halt or impede the flow of vehicular or pedestrian traffic and refuses to clear any public way when ordered to do so.

7. Commits a trespass upon public or private property with a malicious intent.

8. Wilfully and knowingly acts in such a way as to disrupt any lawful assemblage or gathering of people.

9. No person shall request or solicit an exchange or transfer of anything from any person inside a sidewalk cafe without permission of an employee of the business operating the cafe. No person shall be cited under this subsection unless the person engages in such prohibited conduct after having been notified by a peace officer that the conduct violates the City ordinance. Any violation of this subsection shall be considered a simple misdemeanor punishable by a fine of sixty five dollars ($65.00).

B. This section shall not apply to any peace officer acting within the scope of the officer's duties. (1978 Code §24-47; amd. 1994 Code) (Ord. 09-4342, 6-16-2009; amd. Ord. 17-4692, 2-7-2017; Ord. 19-4811, 11-4-2019)

So no one knows what actually happened. I hadn't heard anything bad about any of the current players, so hopefully this was a lot about nothing.

Reactions: Franisdaman
These kids and their alternative spellings. I get frustrated always having to look up how to spell them correctly. My name is Dave. Simple enough. But I could spell it Daiv or Dhave or DDave or Zdave with the Z being silent. My apologies on the misspelling, Ahron.
Kids? I would imagine his parents named Him correct? They could also have gone with Erin, but thats generally a girls name.....

Reactions: BBHawk
These kids and their alternative spellings. I get frustrated always having to look up how to spell them correctly. My name is Dave. Simple enough. But I could spell it Daiv or Dhave or DDave or Zdave with the Z being silent. My apologies on the misspelling, Ahron.
Ahron is a common spelling. As is Aaron. Aron not so much.

Reactions: hawksense
especially in today's environment. it used to be fights were settled with words and fists. Now, they seem to get settled with weapons (guns, knives, etc).
He might not have started it. But if it was in an alley behind the Airliner, he had to be looking for it. Not easy to get there.

Bars, booze and babes.

the-sound-of-music-julie-andrews.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT