ADVERTISEMENT

***US Soccer***

That Panama comeback is really the result of the night. A loss by them and you really have some separation from the top 3.

win next week vs Jamaica would be a dream result to really put USMNT on firm footing for qualifying.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
That Panama comeback is really the result of the night. A loss by them and you really have some separation from the top 3.

win next week vs Jamaica would be a dream result to really put USMNT on firm footing for qualifying.

Agreed. I was happy when Honduras was up 2-0. Honduras has played themselves out of qualifying. 3 points in 7 games isn't going to quite get it done.

The other thing I didn’t mention that I liked about the performance last night was the back line. They had a couple of moments but most do each game, but outside of that that did very well. Showed recovery speed, grit and cohesiveness.

Wild thing is we still have guys like Brooks, Reyna, Dest and more available. Or more young guys coming up who have shown promise too. I’ve said this before, but here it goes again… this is the best group of relent too to bottom the USA has ever had. It’s just a matter of fitting the pieces together so they click or play a style best suited to the talent.

I think they are starting to get there. I do wish there was more movement from the attacking players. Most tend to run right at the box or stand and ball watch. On the 1st goal Weah took his man off the dribble while guys stood at top of box watching. Pulisic saw his man’s head turned and made a great cut across the mouth of the goal. He went and got the ball vs waiting for the ball to come to him. Guys need to move more which will cause defensive errors which will open up scoring.

Reactions: SI_NYC
I love what Weah brings this team. I’m probably in the minority but I think he has more upside than Reyna. You can teach speed.

The other thing I didn’t mention that I liked about the performance last night was the back line. They had a couple of moments but most do each game, but outside of that that did very well. Showed recovery speed, grit and cohesiveness.

Wild thing is we still have guys like Brooks, Reyna, Dest and more available. Or more young guys coming up who have shown promise too. I’ve said this before, but here it goes again… this is the best group of relent too to bottom the USA has ever had. It’s just a matter of fitting the pieces together so they click or play a style best suited to the talent.

I think they are starting to get there. I do wish there was more movement from the attacking players. Most tend to run right at the box or stand and ball watch. On the 1st goal Weah took his man off the dribble while guys stood at top of box watching. Pulisic saw his man’s head turned and made a great cut across the mouth of the goal. He went and got the ball vs waiting for the ball to come to him. Guys need to move more which will cause defensive errors which will open up scoring.
The back line might have looked good because we were missing Dest and Brooks. Brooks hasn’t look good as of late. I think Dest is more of a wing forward than a right or left back.

TeamPtsGDGFGAGP
USA14+71147
Mexico14+51057
Canada13+71147
Panama11+1987
Costa Rica6-2467
Jamaica6-4597
El Salvador6-5387
Honduras3-94137

Sooooooooo……… what exactly does the US have to do to qualify? Win this pool, finish top 3? Still 7 games to play, correct?

Sooooooooo……… what exactly does the US have to do to qualify? Win this pool, finish top 3? Still 7 games to play, correct?
Top 3 are in automatically and 4th place goes to a international playoff (used to be with team from Asian federation, not sure for this cycle). 7 games left, one more against each team in opposite location of the first game.

Reactions: luvmyhawks
The back line might have looked good because we were missing Dest and Brooks. Brooks hasn’t look good as of late. I think Dest is more of a wing forward than a right or left back.
Maybe. I agree Brooks appears to have lost a step, but he’s an enforcer and will be needed come WC. Dest is still young and not sure where he’s best yet, but if in the back coming forward I think he just needs more reps focusing on the back end and to develop discipline because though Robinson got forward many times last night he was zero threat once there… wasn’t able to beat his man 1-1 nor get any real threatening crosses into box while Dest puts fear into defenders.

I know it is a lot to ask but is it possible to bring in John Brooks now that Miles Robinson is out for the red card?

Fly him straight from Germany to Jamaica?

Maybe. I agree Brooks appears to have lost a step, but he’s an enforcer and will be needed come WC. Dest is still young and not sure where he’s best yet, but if in the back coming forward I think he just needs more reps focusing on the back end and to develop discipline because though Robinson got forward many times last night he was zero threat once there… wasn’t able to beat his man 1-1 nor get any real threatening crosses into box while Dest puts fear into defenders.
Only trouble is that Dest hasn’t yet looked comfortable at LB. To me Antonee is clearly the best option there, while we have 3 good options (Dest, Cannon, Yedlin) at RB

Only trouble is that Dest hasn’t yet looked comfortable at LB. To me Antonee is clearly the best option there, while we have 3 good options (Dest, Cannon, Yedlin) at RB
For Jamaica I’d like to see Robison slide inside and have Vines outside. Doubt they give that a look but I’d be curious how that would play out.

He’s been injured

For Jamaica I’d like to see Robison slide inside and have Vines outside. Doubt they give that a look but I’d be curious how that would play out.
FWIW, Dest has been very good on the wing in midfield for Barcelona. That’s where his future is.

Are you suggesting playing ARob as a center back? It's gonna be Richards or McKenzie. I could see Skally getting a run out at one of the fullback spots. My suspension is Busio is brought in for McKennie. He looks like he has grown a lot sense going to Italy.

Are you suggesting playing ARob as a center back? It's gonna be Richards or McKenzie. I could see Skally getting a run out at one of the fullback spots. My suspension is Busio is brought in for McKennie. He looks like he has grown a lot sense going to Italy.
Yep, but I doubt they’ll do that. I would guess Richards is up next, but perhaps Berhalter will see what Scally brings to the team too. I could see a couple of guys sitting the next game out or coming into the final 30 minutes if needed.

What I find amazing about this stat is that Mexico was unable to beat the US three times in a row from 1937-about 1990.
3 times in a calendar year. I'm not going to go do research on it, but I suspect there weren't a lot of opportunities during that timespan where they actually played 3 times in the same calendar year.

Reactions: BioHawk
Yep, but I doubt they’ll do that. I would guess Richards is up next, but perhaps Berhalter will see what Scally brings to the team too. I could see a couple of guys sitting the next game out or coming into the final 30 minutes if needed.
But A Rob is not a CB. He's a fullback. He's not a holding fullback either. I can't see him playing that role.

3 times in a calendar year. I'm not going to go do research on it, but I suspect there weren't a lot of opportunities during that timespan where they actually played 3 times in the same calendar year.

Did it specify competitive games? You would think they played eachother multiple times with friendlies.

Berhalter and the US has a great chance to make a firm grip on an auto-bid spot by winning at Jamaica. It’s not the time to experiment to me. I think they should go with the Walker and Richards combo since Miles is unavailable, and go again with yedlin and Antonee on the wings unless he wants to go with Cannon instead.

That's a good question then. Maybe one of those records that lasts awhile now. However, with Gold Cup and Nation's League that opportunity may present itself more often?
Depends on if FIFA eventually gets their way with the WC every two years. They’ve backed down for now, but I don’t see how both survive if they have to squeeze in qualifying on a more or less permanent basis as well.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Berhalter and the US has a great chance to make a firm grip on an auto-bid spot by winning at Jamaica. It’s not the time to experiment to me. I think they should go with the Walker and Richards combo since Miles is unavailable, and go again with yedlin and Antonee on the wings unless he wants to go with Cannon instead.

I'm in favor of keeping Jedi but switching Cannon for Yedlin. Bring Yedlin on in the 2nd half if needed for Robinson to keep legs fresh.

I'm in favor of keeping Jedi but switching Cannon for Yedlin. Bring Yedlin on in the 2nd half if needed for Robinson to keep legs fresh.
I can't see Yedlin playing on the left, so I don't think he can replace Robinson.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT