ADVERTISEMENT

***US Soccer***

I'd argue that although we are younger, our ceiling is higher than Mexico for sure but it's all about the consistency of play that makes a difference. I think we will get there.

IF (big if) we win against Mexico on Tuesday, I'm not sure if we will have to gain any road points to qualify as long as we win our home games. We would be sitting atop the table with 14 points and get 9 more for 23. It would be right on the border but it could be enough.
Yeah, absolutely I think our ceiling is higher than Mexico, but they’re probably the more consistent side at present.

someone did the math before qualifying and figured that if we averaged roughly 5.5 points per window, we should qualify with a fair amount of room to spare. So far that’s where we are at, and we haven’t played our best game yet. Hopefully we have Pulisic and Reyna for the next window.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Yeah, absolutely I think our ceiling is higher than Mexico, but they’re probably the more consistent side at present.

someone did the math before qualifying and figured that if we averaged roughly 5.5 points per window, we should qualify with a fair amount of room to spare. So far that’s where we are at, and we haven’t played our best game yet. Hopefully we have Pulisic and Reyna for the next window.

True I've been disappointed that we have not yet in qualifying had all of our best 11 available. In fact it seems like in most games we are missing several of our best players.

True I've been disappointed that we have not yet in qualifying had all of our best 11 available. In fact it seems like in most games we are missing several of our best players.
That seems to be a theme for CONCACAF, with so many players from the various countries that play in Europe and have travel restrictions to some of the Central American countries. One reason why I’m not letting myself get too down after any one result. panama had me upset because the effort wasn’t there. El Salvador, Canada, we didn’t p,at great in either but we at least got points from those. Honestly, if we did no worse than get a single point from each remain match, that would put us at 19 points alone, which based on how the standings look right now, would be borderline enough as is. If we simply got 4 points per remaining window, that would likely be enough.

obviously it would be nice if we can get 6 or 7 the next two windows so that we have a cushion with games to play and play some youngsters to close things out.

That seems to be a theme for CONCACAF, with so many players from the various countries that play in Europe and have travel restrictions to some of the Central American countries. One reason why I’m not letting myself get too down after any one result. panama had me upset because the effort wasn’t there. El Salvador, Canada, we didn’t p,at great in either but we at least got points from those. Honestly, if we did no worse than get a single point from each remain match, that would put us at 19 points alone, which based on how the standings look right now, would be borderline enough as is. If we simply got 4 points per remaining window, that would likely be enough.

obviously it would be nice if we can get 6 or 7 the next two windows so that we have a cushion with games to play and play some youngsters to close things out.
I think what bothers me about the lack of effort is that those are the guys that could ill-afford to lack effort. Many were MLS based players that you would assume would fight and scrap for everything. Again, I wasn't able to watch but it was pretty sad to read the comments here and other places.

I think the next window is only 2 games.
vs. Mexico
@ Jamacia

6 points would be great, 4 is realistic, 3 is mandatory.

Next window (might have the order of 1st and 3rd wrong)
vs. El Salvador
@ Canada
vs. Honduras

This is a potential 7 point window...

Our final window looks a bit salty:
@ Mexico
vs Panama
@ Costa Rica

CR could be out or playing for their lives at that point. Panama will need points on the road most likely. Could be a 4 point window on the low side.

Adding all that up is around 15 points which should easily get it done. 13 is probable and that might do it too.

Reactions: sober_teacher

Barring any further injuries, I think we will be fine moving forward. Heck, we beat Mexico with two totally different teams so let's see how we do next month.

Excited to see Reyna and Pulisic together. I think our best lineup is:

Steffen
A. Robinson
Richardson/Brooks
M. Robinson
Dest
Adams
McKinnie (bad last night)
Musa
Pulisic
Reyna
Pepi

Reactions: haw-key and SI_NYC
Barring any further injuries, I think we will be fine moving forward. Heck, we beat Mexico with two totally different teams so let's see how we do next month.

Excited to see Reyna and Pulisic together. I think our best lineup is:

Steffen
A. Robinson
Richardson/Brooks
M. Robinson
Dest
Adams
McKinnie (bad last night)
Musa
Pulisic
Reyna
Pepi
That's the team I'd put out there, especially the midfield. Musah and Adams really change the game for the US. Musah breaks defenses down pushing forward and Adams is an eraser for other players losing procession in the back.

Notice that Mexican fans tend to do the chant while having games in the US more than Mexico.

I am glad they got dinged again because it absolutely happened at the last qualifier with a limited crowd. If FIFA actually wanted it to stop they would put a year ban on fans.

US soccer limits the sales to Cincinnati season ticket holders and American Outlaws members(They normally have to turn members away) so it keeps a lot of Mexico fans from able to get tickets.

Sad that they have to do that but it's probably the smart thing to do.

Notice that Mexican fans tend to do the chant while having games in the US more than Mexico.

I am glad they got dinged again because it absolutely happened at the last qualifier with a limited crowd. If FIFA actually wanted it to stop they would put a year ban on fans.
That might be the next step if it continues. Mexican fans have never had a great rep, but it feels like the last couple years they’ve only gotten worse for some reason.

Yes, I figure Jesus can play the 9 if needed. Would also would have liked to seen Luca De La Torre rather than Llegett

Lleget is Berhalter's guy.

Pulisic to me is someone now who really doesnt figure. he is hurt or unavailable so much, you cant really plan on him being there.

Reactions: Dorrman
Lleget is Berhalter's guy.

Pulisic to me is someone now who really doesnt figure. he is hurt or unavailable so much, you cant really plan on him being there.
If pulisic is healthy he’s easily the best player attacking in the open field right now. Still so young, so hopefully he eventually shakes this injury bug.

arriola is the one I continue to not understand his inclusion. Lleget has been a fairly consistent a en solid presence in the midfield so I don’t mind that, especially with such a young roster overall, having that veteran presence is huge.

Hello Trumpians,

Today's the perfect day to tell your libtard friends how USA = #1, how much Mexico sucks and not feel sheepish about it.

Here's how I think we should line up tonight

Turner
Yedlin-Zimmerman-M. Robinson-A. Robinson
Adams-McKennie-Acosta
Pulisic-Aaronson
Pepi

I think Pulisic will be the one raring to go and do all he can to force GB hand and try to get the start. Weah would be the best option off the bench and the most logical replacement for Pulisic assuming he wont go full 90 or they choose not to start him.

Looking at UEFA qualifiers, nobody can realistically punch their ticket today, although Italy and England could make it little more than formality by winning their home matches today. Scotland can clinch a berth and a top seed (home match) in the single-leg March playoffs. Though the finals of those playoffs are hosted by a team via random draw.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Hello Trumpians,

Today's the perfect day to tell your libtard friends how USA = #1, how much Mexico sucks and not feel sheepish about it.

Here's how I think we should line up tonight

Turner
Yedlin-Zimmerman-M. Robinson-A. Robinson
Adams-McKennie-Acosta
Pulisic-Aaronson
Pepi

I think Pulisic will be the one raring to go and do all he can to force GB hand and try to get the start. Weah would be the best option off the bench and the most logical replacement for Pulisic assuming he wont go full 90 or they choose not to start him.

I think I read that the plan is to start Steffen between the sticks.

Pulisic will not start

I think I read that the plan is to start Steffen between the sticks.

Pulisic will not start

Thanks for the update. Weah would seem the logical replacement, so I fully expect it will be Arriola who starts. Still would not surprise me to see Pulisic come on at halftime

I'm in Cincinnati now, seen a ton of US fans walking the streets already. Can't wait

yanks_1.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT