ADVERTISEMENT

US to reuse pacific air force based abondoned in 1946 that launched atomic bombers

I was just my gut feeling. As far as bases go, they usually tear most of them down or condemn them. When they were built in that era, they had asbestos galore in them.

Chanute AFB in Illinois for example.
Lots of structures were built back then using asbestos - and that includes lots of homes which also had lead paint. Glad they’re being demolished.

• Love
Reactions: Sharky1203
I like this movie about the events leading up to the dropping of the first bomb.

"Above and Beyond is a 1952 American World War II film about Lt. Col. Paul W. Tibbets Jr., the pilot of the aircraft that dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima in August 1945.

Directed by Melvin Frank and Norman Panama, it stars Robert Taylor as Tibbets and features a love story with Eleanor Parker as his wife. James Whitmore plays security officer Major Bill Uanna. The story of the dropping of the atomic bomb is treated as a docudrama with an effort to recreate the training and operational aspects of the military units involved in the Hiroshima mission.[3]"-WIKI

"What if you could end this war by pushing this button but in doing so, kill 100,000 people?"

rt12.jpg

Reactions: VodkaSam
This is pretty interesting to me.

I am pretty shocked that they would be willing to throw away their economic position for Taiwan….but China is making it pretty clear they are going to make a move at some point.

I think it’s becoming increasingly clear we are going to have a direct confrontation with China within the next decade….and moves like this seem to indicate our military feels the same.

Tinian is the least populated large island in the group. Guam and Saipan aren’t as easy to work on. If you look at the island on Google it’s amazing to see everything still laid out. The jungle really hasn’t reclaimed the runways, and because it is the flattest of the major islands in the Marianna’s chain I’m surprised we didn’t do this years ago. . It’s a smart move by the US.

Tinian is the least populated large island in the group. Guam and Saipan aren’t as easy to work on. If you look at the island on Google it’s amazing to see everything still laid out. The jungle really hasn’t reclaimed the runways, and because it is the flattest of the major islands in the Marianna’s chain I’m surprised we didn’t do this years ago. . It’s a smart move by the US.
Sad to say, but we gotta look “forward“ to plan for possible future conflicts.

Reactions: VodkaSam
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT