ADVERTISEMENT

USA Today: Caitlin will not be selected for Olympic Women's Basketball Team

They have created a disaster. Question is, will they fix the mess they've made?
They can't, at this point. Whatever, I'm done with this. They can win their 6th gold in obscurity again. I sure as hell will not be watching. Not because Clark isn't there but primarily because these old guard players have to be some of the most unlikable people I've ever seen in sports. Fortunately, they should be irrelevant by the next Olympics although I don't know how a team with Clark and Reese on the same team will ever work. I feel like Clark is too nice and outnumbered to fight the battles people like Reese are going to force her to fight.

Diana Taurasi on Caitlin Clark's learning curve: 'A different dance you have to learn'

Diana Taurasi on Caitlin Clark's learning curve: 'A different dance you have to learn'​

STEVE GARDNER USA TODAY
23 hours ago

https://www.usatoday.com/videos/spo...rk-likely-missing-paris-olympics/74048572007/

Corrections and clarifications: A previous version of this story incorrectly referred to Cheryl Miller instead of Sheryl Swoopes.
Women's basketball is riding an unprecedented wave of publicity these days with this week's official announcement of the U.S. Olympic basketball team roster.
From all indications, it will not include Indiana Fever rookie Caitlin Clark, who has taken the WNBA by storm this year – similar to the way another player did when she entered the league 20 years earlier.
Diana Taurasi knows the feeling of being the youngest player on a team surrounded by accomplished veterans. Shortly after graduating from the University of Connecticut, Taurasi was named to the 2004 U.S. Olympic team. She tells USA TODAY Sports it was an overwhelming experience.

"I was the youngest on that team by far. Just amazing amazing veterans took me under their wing and really showed me the ropes," Taurasi says of playing with all-time greats such as Lisa Leslie, Sheryl Swoopes, Dawn Staley and Tina Thompson in Athens.

"I was the youngest on that team by far. Just amazing amazing veterans took me under their wing and really showed me the ropes," Taurasi says of playing with all-time greats such as Lisa Leslie, Sheryl Swoopes, Dawn Staley and Tina Thompson in Athens.

"The game of basketball is all about evolving. It's all about getting comfortable with your surroundings," Taurasi says. "College basketball is much different than the WNBA than it is overseas. Each one almost is like a different dance you have to learn. And once you learn the steps and the rhythm and you have a skill set that is superior to everyone else, everything else will fall into place."

Taurasi says the all the attention women's basketball is receiving now shows how the hard work so many people put in decades earlier is paying off.

"It's a culmination of so many things – social media, culture, women's sports – the impact they've had in this country the last 4-5 years," she says.

"Sometimes you need all those ingredients in a perfect storm and that's what we have right now. And it couldn't have come at a better time."
I'll
What the bloody hell. Women's basketball continues to cut off its nose to spite its face. Incredibly dumb decision on so many levels. NOW is the time to capitalize on her popularity; the entire world would have tuned in to watch her play.

Christine is a USA Today columnist and a CNN, ABC News, PBS and NPR commentator. She is also a best-selling author.

"
Diana Taurasi knows the feeling of being the youngest player on a team surrounded by accomplished veterans. Shortly after graduating from the University of Connecticut, Taurasi was named to the 2004 U.S. Olympic team. She tells USA TODAY Sports it was an overwhelming experience.

DT was taken under the wings of veterans. She didn't learn as much from them as she thinks.

How Clark Is Faring​

With Caitlin Clark being left off the USA Women's Basketball Olympic roster, here is where she ranks in some categories in the WNBA this season:

RANK
Points per game16.315th
FG%37%45th
3-pt FG%33%29th
Turnovers PG5.4Last
Defensive efficiency111126th<<
>>Out of 140 players (no minimum required)
When I look at the turnovers/game I want to puke. Get players who can catch the ball, and if and when they do, finish on some of them. Makes me appreciate the players at Iowa who benefited from those passes, and CC who made those passes. Please, Sides, teach players to look for those passes and move well without the ball and be in position to receive them.
I'm gonna tell Lisa on you!

I'll

"

DT was taken under the wings of veterans. She didn't learn as much from them as she thinks.
She probably thinks she was better than Caitlin at that age too :rolleyes:

When I look at the turnovers/game I want to puke. Get players who can catch the ball, and if and when they do, finish on some of them. Makes me appreciate the players at Iowa who benefited from those passes, and CC who made those passes. Please, Sides, teach players to look for those passes and move well without the ball and be in position to receive them.

Sides is a horrible coach.

I wonder if Caitlin wishes she had stayed another year at Iowa. Probably not, but I am sure it occasionally crosses her mind....

Clark's offensive numbers in her 13 games are just as good as Taurasi this season -- but there are several factors that go into selecting a team besides popularity and similar offensive stats. Caitlin will no doubt be ready in 2028.

there are a lot of reasons why she should be on the team, too

Like I mentioned before, while disappointed - I'm not shocked they didn't pick Clark. At least part of the initial reasoning simply makes zero sense if it's true, and they've done nothing to address that to date.

Compare the lack of drama that Kate Martin has experienced to the drama Caitlin has experienced.

It truly is amazing what a bad situation she walked into and continues to have to deal with.

Compare the lack of drama that Kate Martin has experienced to the drama Caitlin has experienced.

It truly is amazing what a bad situation she walked into and continues to have to deal with.
Some of it isn't out of the ordinary for what you would expect from any #1 pick in any sport, especially for ones where they were the clear top pick; like say Andrew Luck or Wemby in recent years.

But this is just getting ridiculous - the hazing stuff to at least some extent isn't unusual. How everything has exploded into major controversy every time something happens...it's frankly embarrassing.

Amazing the difference b/t what you mentioned with Kate Martin - admittedly with far fewer expectations, but you're absolutely right in the difference b/t how the situations are; with a far better run team/franchise in Vegas.

Some of it isn't out of the ordinary for what you would expect from any #1 pick in any sport, especially for ones where they were the clear top pick; like say Andrew Luck or Wemby in recent years.

But this is just getting ridiculous - the hazing stuff to at least some extent isn't unusual. How everything has exploded into major controversy every time something happens...it's frankly embarrassing.

Amazing the difference b/t what you mentioned with Kate Martin - admittedly with far fewer expectations, but you're absolutely right in the difference b/t how the situations are; with a far better run team/franchise in Vegas.

You bring up a good point when it comes to the #1 overall NBA pick. Most of the Wemby stories were about how he performed, IIRC; was there ever a story involving stupid drama like what we are seeing with these women?

You bring up a good point when it comes to the #1 overall NBA pick. Most of the Wemby stories were about how he performed, IIRC; was there ever a story involving stupid drama like what we are seeing with these women?
No, but then again there were far more relevant stories all season long.

Honestly, from a media perspective I wonder how much of the overreaction from them all season comes from them mostly not paying the slightest attention to the WNBA previously?

No, but then again there were far more relevant stories all season long.

Honestly, from a media perspective I wonder how much of the overreaction from them all season comes from them mostly not paying the slightest attention to the WNBA previously?
I would agree to an extent. But, man. What a shock, even for us newbies lol.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Well, from what I can tell until some sort of system is installed with this team nobody plays good defense. Until they can fix the issues at the top it is never going to improve.

turnovers and defense definitely a problem -and I'm sure she would admit that if she's being honest

Sides is a horrible coach.

I wonder if Caitlin wishes she had stayed another year at Iowa. Probably not, but I am sure it occasionally crosses her mind....

This guy Josh Felton, has a good take on why Clark has so many turnovers and why the pitiful Fever offense:
A lot is poor coaching or understanding.

This guy Josh Felton, has a good take on why Clark has so many turnovers and why the pitiful Fever offense:
A lot is poor coaching or understanding.

Coming into the Season, I honestly thought the Fever had a nice foundation.

Kelsey Mitchell:...#2 Overall pick in 2018
Nalyssa Smith:….#2 Overall pick in 2022
Aliyah Boston:.….#1 Overall pick in 2023
Caitlin Clark:.....….#1 Overall pick in 2024

Caitlin (3,951) & Kelsey Mitchell (3,402) compiled 7,353 points in college and are the top 2 scorers in Big Ten history.

It's the head coach's job to take the pieces and make it all work.

All of the listed stats are from the player’s previous season (Caitlin is the only rookie).

CAITLIN CLARK……..22 yrs old, 6’0”....31.6 pts, 7.4 rebs, 8.9 assts
KELSEY MITCHELL...28 yrs old, 5'8”.....18.2 pts, 1.6 rebs, 3.1 assts
NALYSSA SMITH…...23 yrs old, 6'4”.....15.5 pts, 9.2 rebs, 1.4 assts
ALIYAH BOSTON.…..22 yrs old, 6'5”.....14.5 pts, 8.4 rebs, 2.2 assts

Speaking of changing of the guard:

Diana turns 42 in 3 days, on June 11.

Caitlin turned 22 on Jan 22.

Look at the assist difference.

.............................Pts...Rebs...Asts...Stl...Blk...FG%..3Pt%..FT%
Caitlin Clark......16.8...5.3......6.3...1.5...0.9...37.3....32.7...89.3
Diana Taurasi....16.3...4.5......1.1...0.6...0.1....37.0...36.0...84.6

Lets all wish Diana a happy birthday; she is 42 today.

LOL

(bitch)

• Wow
Reactions: doughuddl2
Diana Taurasi on Caitlin Clark's learning curve: 'A different dance you have to learn'

Diana Taurasi on Caitlin Clark's learning curve: 'A different dance you have to learn'​

STEVE GARDNER USA TODAY
23 hours ago

https://www.usatoday.com/videos/spo...rk-likely-missing-paris-olympics/74048572007/

Corrections and clarifications: A previous version of this story incorrectly referred to Cheryl Miller instead of Sheryl Swoopes.
Women's basketball is riding an unprecedented wave of publicity these days with this week's official announcement of the U.S. Olympic basketball team roster.
From all indications, it will not include Indiana Fever rookie Caitlin Clark, who has taken the WNBA by storm this year – similar to the way another player did when she entered the league 20 years earlier.

"The game of basketball is all about evolving. It's all about getting comfortable with your surroundings," Taurasi says. "College basketball is much different than the WNBA than it is overseas. Each one almost is like a different dance you have to learn. And once you learn the steps and the rhythm and you have a skill set that is superior to everyone else, everything else will fall into place."

Taurasi says the all the attention women's basketball is receiving now shows how the hard work so many people put in decades earlier is paying off.

"It's a culmination of so many things – social media, culture, women's sports – the impact they've had in this country the last 4-5 years," she says.

"Sometimes you need all those ingredients in a perfect storm and that's what we have right now. And it couldn't have come at a better time."
Yeah....Taurasi had veterans take her under their wing and show her the ropes. If Clark was on the team she would likely be shunned and ignored. She certainly wouldn't be taken under anyone's wing.

I'm glad she's not on the team. She doesn't deserve the crap she would get from the other players.

They could have filled the team with rookies and Paige Bueckers and still won the gold. And how is she supposed to get experience if she doesn’t get picked on the team? I guess that fact that she’s already won three gold medals playing for Team USA doesn’t count.

it's a complete clown show; everyone who is unbiased is ripping the decision

They could have filled the team with rookies and Paige Bueckers and still won the gold. And how is she supposed to get experience if she doesn’t get picked on the team? I guess that fact that she’s already won three gold medals playing for Team USA doesn’t count.
Probably a bit of an exaggeration here.

Imagine the buzz around the team if they did do that.

In this 3 minute video, Stephen A. Smith goes off on Team USA, saying, among other things, that they made a stupid decision to leave Caitlin off the roster.

In this 3 minute video, Stephen A. Smith goes off on Team USA, saying, among other things, that they made a stupid decision to leave Caitlin off the roster.

This is getting exhausting.

From a pure competitive standpoint, leaving Clark off the roster is defensible. From a marketing standpoint it’s not.

I think it was a mistake to leave her off as part of the big picture of growing women’s basketball, but this is also getting grossly exaggerated as well.

This is getting exhausting.

From a pure competitive standpoint, leaving Clark off the roster is defensible. From a marketing standpoint it’s not.

I think it was a mistake to leave her off as part of the big picture of growing women’s basketball, but this is also getting grossly exaggerated as well.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say. CC22 wouldn't grow the game? Or CC22 should have been on the team but that she isn't is not a big deal, Team USA will grow the game with or without her?

It's going to be must watch TV when all these foreign reporters ask Reeve's why CC22 was not included on the team and not why they hammered Team Spain or whoever.

The problem is Taurasi wants nothing to do with Clark and finds it offensive that a rookie's name even gets mentioned before someone who she approves of. I don't see a world where Clark and Taurasi can be in the same organization together and work together. Not that Clark wouldn't do it, but Taurasi is just being a child about this whole thing and doesn't want her Queen Bee status threatened.
Taurasi is really jealous of all the talk that Caitlin is the GOAT. Fortunately, she won't be around for another Olympics.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. CC22 wouldn't grow the game? Or CC22 should have been on the team but that she isn't is not a big deal, Team USA will grow the game with or without her?

It's going to be must watch TV when all these foreign reporters ask Reeve's why CC22 was not included on the team and not why they hammered Team Spain or whoever.
I’m trying to say that I can understand the argument for leaving her off the roster from a basketball standpoint. Including her primarily for marketing/ratings…I think leaving her off if they were truly concerned about fan backlash is dumb, but I guess I’m not totally convinced her presence on this team…where she’d likely play 5-10 min per game would have the impact on the growth of the game some are thinking.

Just imagine: cc22 is on the team . It is well coached ...everything's going swimmingly... they are kicking butt , they are winning. Good coaching. Then the talk is going to be: look what she can do with a good coach! The proof is in the pudding here! She should never return to Indiana!

And......"Taurasi, the WNBA’s all-time scoring leader, is still playing at a high level. She will be 42 years old for the Olympics, and already has five Olympic gold medals. If the U.S. wins any medal in Paris, Taurasi will become the most-decorated team sport athlete in Olympic history. In an interview with NBC after she won gold in Tokyo, Taurasi quipped, “See you in Paris!” Her longtime teammate and friend Sue Bird laughed, but Taurasi clearly was not joking." DIANA TAURASI’S RECORD-BREAKING POSSIBILITIES
It's about Diana and not what's best for the team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT