ADVERTISEMENT

USA Today: Iowa-NW send sport back to stone age

Sure….but what else is to be done? They didn’t fire Brian 3 years ago. They didn’t fire him 2 years ago. They didn’t fire him last year. They’ve now effectively fired him. Winning with a shitty offense is better than losing with a shitty offense.
Yeah but the problem with winning with a shitty offense is that you're winning almost entirely against shitty teams, and then getting splattered by teams that actually have a pulse. So you rack up 8 wins against crap, all the while knowing you stand zero chance against the big dogs, but since you racked up 8 wins with a shitty offense against crap teams, you think a shitty offense must be ok because you racked up 8 wins, so why not just be happy winning 8 games with a shit offense? But what good is being content with 8 games yet knowing you have no chance at the highest level? That's why I'll never understand the ones who are content with the 8 games and why, for whatever reason, they don't want the program to address the problem and try winning at the highest level.

Yeah but the problem with winning with a shitty offense is that you're winning almost entirely against shitty teams, and then getting splattered by teams that actually have a pulse. So you rack up 8 wins against crap, all the while knowing you stand zero chance against the big dogs, but since you racked up 8 wins with a shitty offense against crap teams, you think a shitty offense must be ok because you racked up 8 wins, so why not just be happy winning 8 games with a shit offense? But what good is being content with 8 games yet knowing you have no chance at the highest level? That's why I'll never understand the ones who are content with the 8 games and why, for whatever reason, they don't want the program to address the problem and try winning at the highest level.
Because those fans are petrified with fear. They are convinced there are no other coaches who can do as well or better than Kirk, and when he leaves it is 100% certain the Hawks will never have a winning season again.

It's "Tom Davis Syndrome".

No, they won’t. Iowa would not be able to move the ball against USC or any PAC-12 team. MN and NW do not have quality defenses and Iowa’s offense was as inept as can be…And they are getting worse. You think Iowa will move the ball up and down the field on Washington and UCLA when they can barely get a first down against Michigan State and Purdue? GMAFB.

have you seen USC play? Iowa would light them up for 17.

Truth.

100% correct...but those changes have to come in the offseason and in recruiting. I’m not at all trying to argue that this is ok, but to jump in mid season with OMG is ridiculous. This team, with this personnel, with these injuries and with this OC simply is what it is. I am going to love THIS team (the 2023 Hawks) for what it is and then next year has to get better.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
Most wins by an FBS team over the last 10 years. Iowa is #16. What the hell am I missing? What the hell? What is it exactly that you want?
Not a better than average chance of losing every single game, in the worst division in college football, if the defense doesn’t play lights out. Not a difficult concept to grasp.

During that time, what is it that we’ve won, exactly?

It’s all smoke and mirrors. Iowa is 7-2 because they have played 8 mediocre-at-best teams and got humiliated in their only game against a team with a pulse.

Iowa wins - albeit unimpressively - because 9 times out of 10 it has the better defense, but that’s not saying much because as good as Iowa’s defense is, it still has limitations. It’s not as athletic or deep as teams like Michigan, OSU, or PSU. Because we don’t play those teams as much as we play Northwestern or Minnesota, Iowa’s been spoiled. Most of the B1G has both middling offenses AND defenses. Iowa usually has a good defense, but don’t be fooled into thinking that it has an elite defense because it’s rarely tested, and Iowa fans go apeshit when another offense has success against us.

Once Iowa starts playing quality competition more consistently, it’ll have a choice to make. Find a way to keep up, or get left behind. I don’t trust Kirk to keep Iowa afloat, he just doesn’t have “it” anymore.

Not a better than average chance of losing every single game, in the worst division in college football, if the defense doesn’t play lights out. Not a difficult concept to grasp.

During that time, what is it that we’ve won, exactly?
I get it. You want to be a top 10 program and compete for a National Title. Maybe the next coach after KF will get us there. Go Hawks.

He is eventually. Few more years. He'll hate the west coast travel and we'll be getting our a**ses pounded with the tougher schedule. It'll happen, looking forward to it.
I think he retires after this year. He will think Beth is out to get him and will take Brian “resigning” to heart.

The media can absolutely eff right off. This Iowa team is exactly what it is and exactly what it was expected to be. They can whine and cry that these games aren’t 52-42, but that’s not who Iowa is. The offense is pathetic and I will not argue that, but it was bad to start and now it’s lost like 8 guys, so nobody should expect it to get better. This defense is incredible and the special teams are really special. It’s not everyone’s brand of football, but I’m going to love this team for what it is for as long as it lasts.
And there is nothing wrong with supporting this team…as long as you are good with beating mediocre teams from the west, making the BIGCG and getting boat raced again…..and losing a decent bowl against a decent team…at least we have this possibility one more year. That’s the ceiling. I enjoy Iowa wins but you can’t achieve greatness with one hand tied behind your back which is exactly what this offense presents. I still watch but am not anywhere near as into it as I was. I was a huge Kirk supporter, now I am disappointed he isn’t retiring after the Brian fiasco. I am not afraid of change and still think Iowa will attract a quality coach and the program will not dive like some seem to think.

Comparing NFL defenses to the BigTen West, lol!! I almost spit out my coffee, thanks for the early morning laugh.
Hey guys, FT is “just here for the wrestling conversation” again, I see. FT, do you even post on BWI anymore or just strictly the Iowa board?

Edit to add: by my count Iowa and Penn State each currently have 18 defensive players in the NFL.

Last edited:
If you feel as good about the defense being out there as you do when a regular offense is out there, it's a moot point.

A win is a win.
Jesus ****ing Christ, is it that hard to grasp that hanging your hat on a 10-7 win over Northwestern is exactly what is holding this program back? Seriously?

For argument’s sake, let’s say Iowa wins the West and ends up in Indy. Are you going to be here to defend the “complementary style” football Iowa plays when Ohio State or Michigan run up the scoreboard 56-3?

Yeah, I didn’t think so. But you squeeze tight that 10-7 victory over the kitty cats.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
Sarcastic Schitts Creek GIF by CBC
Yep, just like a woman. “Whatever” when you can’t refute something.

Jesus ****ing Christ, is it that hard to grasp that hanging your hat on a 10-7 win over Northwestern is exactly what is holding this program back? Seriously?

For argument’s sake, let’s say Iowa wins the West and ends up in Indy. Are you going to be here to defend the “complementary style” football Iowa plays when Ohio State or Michigan run up the scoreboard 56-3?

Yeah, I didn’t think so. But you squeeze tight that 10-7 victory over the kitty cats.
Not saying it doesn't need to change, but this is where it's at this season.

so nobody should expect it to get better.
This is the problem. The coaches should expect it to get better. That is what they are getting paid a boatload of money to make happen. Every coach should expect their team to get better. How can you call yourself a coach and not expect your team to get better? Fan have a right to expect results for the money they spend. Coaches need to do their job and their job is making the team better. Captain Nepo had a glaring weakness and doubled down on not making improvement because it involved his son.

Reactions: DewHawk
I still see 9 or 10 wins next year. With the porous D they play in the P12, our offensive numbers will definitely go up.
Yep, you’re insane.
The Kansas City Chiefs are scoring 23 points per game. With Mahomes and Kelce and Andy Reid. They think NFL headed to stone ages too?
Jesus ****ing Christ
We are going down to Rutgers and Nebraska. Bank it.
I wish it weren't so.
And the dumbass Ferentz knob slobbers in this thread will be long gone, the pussies they are.

I just can’t imagine these guys running a business and celebrating mediocrity the way they do. Iowa people have always been strange.

The fact a few idiots in our fan base can’t grasp this is remarkable.
I have 3 teenagers, 2 sons and a daughter. None of them watch espn or listen to any talking heads, and they definitely don’t give two shits about USA Today online articles. If this was on tic toc, you might have a point. You’re the idiot if you think this affects any of our future recruits.

• Haha
Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
Yep, you’re insane.

Jesus ****ing Christ

And the dumbass Ferentz knob slobbers in this thread will be long gone, the pussies they are.

I just can’t imagine these guys running a business and celebrating mediocrity the way they do. Iowa people have always been strange.
Yep, I’m insane, and I guarantee you wouldn’t call me a pussy to my face, you little whiny bitch. Now go cry some more because someone said something bad about the O on TV or X. You are a grade a douche bag!

• Haha
Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
I have 3 teenagers, 2 sons and a daughter. None of them watch espn or listen to any talking heads, and they definitely don’t give two shits about USA Today online articles. If this was on tic toc, you might have a point. You’re the idiot if you think this affects any of our future recruits.
LMAO.

If you think the media commentary is confined to USA Today articles, or that other coaches aren’t using this against Iowa, no one can help you.

It’s a competitive business.

Yep, I’m insane, and I guarantee you wouldn’t call me a pussy to my face, you little whiny bitch. Now go cry some more because someone said something bad about the O on TV or X. You are a grade a douche bag!
Yeah, I’m crying. Lol.

You seem unhinged. Sorry to light the fuse on your tampon. My mistake.

You’re a girl.

LMAO.

If you think the media commentary is confined to USA Today articles, or that other coaches aren’t using this against Iowa, no one can help you.

It’s a competitive business.
Still be a whiny little bitch! I didn’t say it was confined to USA Today. Reading is hard for you isn’t it?

Yeah, I’m crying. Lol.

You seem unhinged. Sorry to light the fuse on your tampon. My mistake.

You’re a girl.
Now you’re insulting women, yikes! Real clever comeback little guy. I’m sure you got made fun of a lot in school, you should be able to handle the criticism better.

Unfortunately this stuff IS on Tik Tok and if your boys were D1 football recruits they would be paying attention to ESPN and also most definitely to the recruiters from other schools calling/texting them, tearing down this abysmal offense and program as a whole. Agree with it or not, but I’ve been through the process a few times with kids.

Last edited:
Bought the tix and got the VRBO locked up well before the season started. If I knew then the clusterf*ck that KF and BF were going to make of the 2023 season, I definitely wouldn't have committed, lol. But nice try.
I mean, they changed nothing but you expected something different? I suppose they supposedly had better personnel coming in and injuries have affected that, but come on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT