ADVERTISEMENT

USA Today has Brian F. among weekend’s losers

Honestly, at this point, and given how this offense typically sh**s the bed in the middle part of conference play, I don't see there being any chance this offense scores 25 ppg.

On a side note, if we hit 20 pts Saturday we win, but I don't think we'll come close......

Media gonna absolutely roast Iowa when they don't hit the 25 points and nothing happens to Brian.
This right here. It’s a performance objective that unfortunately won’t result in BF’s firing if he doesn’t achieve it. But it will be hanging out there the whole season for the media and broadcast teams to point to every game. Even if Iowa magically scores 25 points or more in a game, BF likely will be behind the average the rest of the way. It will be a continual reminder of the ineptitude of the Ferentz’s offense.

The only way to divert the attention is to run the table or finish no worse than 10-2.

Can’t wait for the next Iowa coach to load us up with all the Cooper Dejeans that the Ferentz’ are missing out there in the land of ar-we-va’s and south buchanans, the o will be so lit!

Iowa isn’t sniffing a west title with the O-line play we saw yesterday, and I’m not sure why we would expect vast improvement from that unit the rest of the season when they made zero improvement during the season last year.
Have you seen the competition...last year's Iowa would win this year's West Division. With McNamara as a solid QB, I think Iowa wins it walking away. And the OL will improve, that's kinda Ferentz thing ya know.

• Haha
Reactions: PoleSmokinHerkyFan
The 25-point mandate sets up an interesting scenario for the Ferentzes. Kirk plays it safe: get ahead of an opponent, then go heavy on the run to reduce risk and run the clock. If Iowa is leading but has not scored 25 points by the end of the 3rd quarter, does Captain Conservative suddenly open the playbook to not only get to 25 but to overcome the climbing rolling ppg average?

Eh, probably not. He’s Kirk Ferentz. He’s got his boy’s back.
Didn't know that rag still existed. I could give two shits what the USA today or ESPN thinks. Hawks got the W by 10 - should have been more, plenty of kids got to play and looks like injuries were minimal. I'd say that was a positive day. Yet there are those like you tweener that needs to take a shot at Brian. Doubt you are even a Hawk fan.

Reactions: Chucksizzle1
Didn't know that rag still existed. I could give two shits what the USA today or ESPN thinks. Hawks got the W by 10 - should have been more, plenty of kids got to play and looks like injuries were minimal. I'd say that was a positive day. Yet there are those like you tweener that needs to take a shot at Brian. Doubt you are even a Hawk fan.
At this point the agenda is becoming obvious, this level of concentrated media attention isn’t about Brian, but it’s about forcing Kirk out. With his winning % it obviously isn’t about job performance. People need to stop and think about it.

At this point the agenda is becoming obvious, this level of concentrated media attention isn’t about Brian, but it’s about forcing Kirk out. With his winning % it obviously isn’t about job performance. People need to stop and think about it.
Who wants to force Kirk out? The national media, the fans? He’s been extremely successful at iowa.

Yeah. The media universe has it in for Kirk and Iowa football. I hope an investigation ensues to uncover this huge conspiracy.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Have you seen the competition...last year's Iowa would win this year's West Division. With McNamara as a solid QB, I think Iowa wins it walking away. And the OL will improve, that's kinda Ferentz thing ya know.
It was but the O-line play did not improve at all last year. Why would we expect anything different this year when nothing was done to improve the unit.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
yes the idea of the media having an agenda or acting in concert is just unimaginable. Especially with media consolidation in this day and age. Just unfathomable.

My two Hawkeye flags, license plate frame, countless T-shirts, sweatshirts, sweaters, sandals, Christmas tree decorations, even a decorative birdhouse, suggest otherwise. But you do you and continue to blissfully accept the mediocrity called Ferentz.

Yes #10 in wins nationally over the past five years and #16 in wins nationally over the past ten years is ”Mediocre” ? In what universe ?

Here's the secret no one wants to tell...Kirk and Brian are a package deal. To fire one, you have to fire both. It could happen if the season is poor enough, but firing Kirk is the only way you get rid of Brian. It just is. The plan is to have Brian PROMOTE into Kirk's shoes.

I doubt this is true.

AD has ability to fire anyone.

I don't think KF would quit if BF got fired. More likely scenario is BF would move out on his own to some job that KF's connections opens for him and no way KF walks away from guaranteed money by quitting.

25 ppg sounds like a performance goal. Nothing wrong with putting ppg as incentive for offensive coordinator. If BF doesn't get 25 ppg, he isn't automatically fired.

No doubt there is increased scrutiny on BF and the Iowa offense with this clause.
If we win 11 games by the score of 24-14 some fans will be hot for his scalp.
I just want to win enough to go to Indy...style points would be nice but if we played a gimpy Cade on Sat to exceed 25 theses same critics would be all over BF and KF..as would I.
Screw the media and the critics..just win the West and enjoy the season.

When I first read of this deal last winter, I assumed it meant Average PPG scored by the Offense, not the whole team’s points scored. Knowing how much Iowa’s D has contributed points the last few seasons with pick 6’s, scoop and scores, blocked punts for TDs or safeties (not to mention great field position) seems kind of a joke that the D’s points should be counted when trying to incentivize the guy calling the O.

Good luck this season.

national embarrassment
Iowa football per se? No. Other than a strength and conditioning program which caused players to pee blood, racial allegations by Black players, a nepotism hire, top commits backing out at the last second and now reports some players gambled, Kirk Ferentz has run a pretty clean program.

The embarrassment is the way Iowa — and perhaps Kirk himself — have gone about trying to get the program’s offensive production out of the bottom of the barrel.

In most other Power 5 programs the Offensive Coordinator would have been fired and a new person and approach brought in. At Iowa it’s set for the coach’s kid a largely meaningless performance goal that is becoming the butt of jokes nationally and will be mentioned in every single game going forward until BF is gone.

I’m not on social media, so there’s that. It’s obvious based on listening to local and national media that people in the business are laughing at Iowa.

Whether we’re a national embarrassment is in the eye of the beholder. Sure, other coaches will always have respect for KF, as they should. However, that doesn’t change the fact that his offense has been hysterically horrendous for 2 years now and that hasn’t yet changed much after game 1 of the 2023 season. Add to that the ridiculously stupid contract that has national pundits tracking our record and points scored per game on a weekly basis, and it could very easily be argued that we’re a laughing stock and therefore a national embarrassment.

It’s a matter of opinion, but when the media are quite literally laughing at your program on a weekly basis (and have been marveling at the colossal ineptitude of our offense for 2 full seasons now), it’s hard to refute those who call Iowa football a national embarrassment. I certainly don’t think anyone can justifiably declare definitively that we aren’t.
Can you sleep at night?

Are you ashamed to wear your Iowa gear in public?

Reactions: Chucksizzle1
No Iowa fan with a brain actually thought that this was a good idea when Gary Barta made it public. You can put a coach on notice publically without setting an arbitrary number for the team to hit every week 😂

Now Gary gave us the weekly CBS Iowa football scores tracker lol.
Nobody with a brain knows they can hide the contract change from the media. And when someone from the media makes it public the same fans heads explode because they weren't told.

You don’t like it well boo ****ing hoo.

Everyone is making way too much out of this. I doubt BF, KF, the new AD nor anyone else gives two shits what anyone is saying. If this team averages 21 points per game but wins the B1G championship and goes to the playoff nobody is going to care. Conversely, if this team averages 32 points per game and goes 8-4 or 7-5 everyone is going to care. Bottom line, the only performance metric that matters is wins and losses and it is obvious it is win or bust this year with this team, for everyone.
Of course they care what others are saying, why do you think the PPG item was put into the contract?

Guarantee that if Iowa averages 21 points per game, they will have zero chance of going to the playoff. Just shows that some don't see the amount of points the top teams score

108th total offense after week 1... against a G5 team that isn't very good.

96th Utah State had more yards than our Offense... that's some BS!

Iowa Football has become a clown show...and it is all of their own doing.

Don't hire your kid to be the OC.

Don't publicly announce a point mandate. Better yet, don't make a point mandate.

Honestly, at this point, the only way out is for KF to retire after the bowl game and move on from the Ferentz era.

25 years is more than enough, the legacy is solid, the program is in a better spot than he found it.

It has been a great run, but it is time.

Winning ugly used to be a good thing....see Vikings Bud Grant & "the purple people eaters".
We know the job at hand is to WIN, I personally could give a crap if that is achieved anyway possible. The end (win) justifies the means not the means for the end.

BTW.....next 4th&1, sub in Hill to QB sneak with Large at FB to push Hill, forget the backfield handout....receipe for TFL.

Guarantee that if Iowa averages 21 points per game, they will have zero chance of going to the playoff. Just shows that some don't see the amount of points the top teams score
It's funny how many times I read someone say something about how 'only wins and losses matter,' and how everyone will be delighted if they go 13-0 and make the playoff regardless of how many they score... No team ever with an offense that abysmal has done that, and none ever will.

It's on par with that baseball movie when I was younger when the 12 year old hurts his arm and then magically becomes a Cy Young pitcher in the majors. Sure it's technically possible a team that has become this inept offensively could win a national championship, but that's as likely as a 12 year old becoming an All Star.

Serious question. How many football games did you watch yesterday and how many of those didn't have a few WTF coaching moments? There aren't too many Andy Reid's out there calling offensive plays on Saturdays.
I watched a few games Saturday and I couldn't tell if Iowa scripted plays first or developed a game plan first.

All the other games didn't bring that thought to my mind.

• Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2
I watched a few games Saturday and I couldn't tell if Iowa scripted plays first or developed a game plan first.

All the other games didn't bring that thought to my mind.

I honestly don't know which comes first, the game plan or the scripted plays.

A few wtf plays is a few too many.
We heard you the first time, dawg lol.

Reactions: doughuddl2
It was but the O-line play did not improve at all last year. Why would we expect anything different this year when nothing was done to improve the unit.
No O-line drafted last year. Is someone projected to be drafted this year? It seems like if your offense is at the bottom of every stat in college football, that your offensive line probably isn't good. I remember the 2000's KF offensive lines and those days are long gone. He's had some good individual players but as a unit they haven't looked good for a long time. Which is probably why they struggle on offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT