ADVERTISEMENT

USA Today has Brian F. among weekend’s losers

tweeterhawk

HR All-State
Gold Member
Mar 22, 2010

Brian Ferentz

Iowa's embattled offensive coordinator is coaching this season with a revised contract containing two performance-related incentives: For Ferentz to go back onto his previous two-year rolling contract, Iowa must win at least seven games in 2023 and, crucially, average at least 25 points per game. On the first part, Ferentz is off to a good start; the Hawkeyes topped Utah State in Saturday's opener. But Iowa scored only 24 points, setting Ferentz just a slight nudge behind the curve. The post-Week 1 new number: Iowa will need to average 25.1 points the rest of the way to get Ferentz back on his original deal.

The 25-point mandate sets up an interesting scenario for the Ferentzes. Kirk plays it safe: get ahead of an opponent, then go heavy on the run to reduce risk and run the clock. If Iowa is leading but has not scored 25 points by the end of the 3rd quarter, does Captain Conservative suddenly open the playbook to not only get to 25 but to overcome the climbing rolling ppg average?

Eh, probably not. He’s Kirk Ferentz. He’s got his boy’s back.

This site listed Iowa as a “Winner” this weekend, but only because they believe we are a step closer to getting a new OC.

USA Today.
Not my first source of information.

On The Spot Ify Nwadiwe GIF by Rooster Teeth

Overall decent offensive game? We failed to put up 100 yards rushing against a team that was was one of the worst in the country against the run last season...284 total offensive yards.
Yep, decent. Not horrible, but not great. We had passing touchdowns which was better than last year, great catches by multiple receivers, a possible stud in Wetjen, improved Pass Pro, and a QB that's actually accurate and not a statue.

Our OLine can hold them during Pass Pro, but it seems the running scheme is just a mess. Other than that, it could've been much, much worse.

Reactions: Bishop1971
national embarrassment
You didn’t watch many other games this weekend, I see.

Purdue loses to Fresno State
Baylor loses to Texas State
Texas Tech loses to Wyoming
Boston College loses to Northern Illinois
Illinois beats Toledo by 2 points
Okie State was tied with Central Arkansas half way through the 4th quarter

But you’re right, Iowa’s 10 point win over Utah State, who scored one TD in garbage time, is the national embarrassment lol.

This site listed Iowa as a “Winner” this weekend, but only because they believe we are a step closer to getting a new OC.

LULZ. Love the writer’s snark!

Reactions: VodkaSam
Ok, the 24 point thing is kind of funny to mention but let's not let this get out of hand. If Iowa scores 24 a game but wins 10 games, and given how the rest of the Big 10 looked yesterday that's entirely possible (maybe even 11 wins with that...PSU is probably out of reach though) does anyone think that Brian will truly be gone. Especially if it's the offense getting 24 points and not including whatever the defense does?

About the only thing worthy of mentioning beyond today is when the final point total is written is that this was a missed opportunity to run up the point score to pad the average points per game by the end of the season. That could end up being the difference for him.

Reactions: tweeterhawk

But you’re right, Iowa’s 10 point win over Utah State, who scored one TD in garbage time, is the national embarrassment lol.
So we're not one of the worst 6 performances in the country. That's setting the bar high.

Toledo almost beats Illinois? NIU beats Boston College? The MAC is BACK, baby!!!!

Reactions: Whinny
So we're not one of the worst 6 performances in the country. That's setting the bar high.
You're just proving my point that you're looking at everything through a negative lens, Mr. #1 Fan.

The point of my post was to show how ridiculous it is to call Iowa a national embarrassment when there were plenty of actual embarrassing performances yesterday.

You're just proving my point that you're looking at everything through a negative lens, Mr. #1 Fan.

The point of my post was to show how ridiculous it is to call Iowa a national embarrassment when there were plenty of actual embarrassing performances yesterday.
The entire situation is the embarrassment.

Reactions: mustang_hawk
This shit is so confusing. Do you guys want Brian or not? Like, do we want 25 or not? Winning games and not scoring 25 seems like best case scenario to have a successful season AND get rid of Brian.
I want him to get it but not by blowing out Utah State, Northwestern, and Western Michigan for a hundred and fifty points and going 7 and 5. Unless we drop 50 plus on western Michigan I would be shocked if we are averaging 25 after these next four games. If you look at our schedule we play a lot of good defenses, like Penn State, Iowa State, Wisconsin, and then the likes of Illinois, Nebraska, Minnesota. If we get over 25 points we’d have earned it at that point. Don’t see it happening after yesterday. Hope I’m wrong thoguh.

I took it that Brian was the national embarrassment, not the game itself.

Or perhaps the play calling was the national embarrassment, I can see that, too.

Reactions: RIGHTWINGHAWK
Do people think BF just doesn't have a good Offensive mind or is he hamstrung by daddy?

Some of you are very naive. The "25" per game is a goal...not an "automatically he's fired" mandate. If you really believe Iowa averages 24 points a game and goes 9-3...and Kirk fires his own son...well...no one can help you to wake up to reality. That proviso was put in to buy time and get people off Ferentz' back...it would take 7-5 and closer to 20 points a game to force any real change. Don't bet on that either.

I'm sure this isn't a total overreaction to an overall decent offensive game.
I don’t think the sky is falling, but I think many would disagree that this was “an overall decent offensive game”. I’d say it was a thoroughly unimpressive offensive game. Horrible OL play, lots of drops, and atrocious YPC against a mediocre defense doesn’t qualify as anywhere close to decent, IMO.

Some of you are very naive. The "25" per game is a goal...not an "automatically he's fired" mandate. If you really believe Iowa averages 24 points a game and goes 9-3...and Kirk fires his own son...well...no one can help you to wake up to reality. That proviso was put in to buy time and get people off Ferentz' back...it would take 7-5 and closer to 20 points a game to force any real change. Don't bet on that either.
I agree with most of what you say, but the firing decision does not belong to KF. Goetz will be making the decision

I took it that Brian was the national embarrassment, not the game itself.

Or perhaps the play calling was the national embarrassment, I can see that, too.
There were certainly a few WTF play-calls but you can find those in just about any football game you watch. We dropped 2-3 TDs and our backup D gave up a garbage TD. The game wasn't nearly as close as the score looked.

I just don't see anything about yesterday as a national embarrassment. What's truly embarrassing is our incompetent ex-AD publically setting a 25 ppg number and opening the team up to these conversations. This will be a weekly thing all season.

I don’t think the sky is falling, but I think many would disagree that this was “an overall decent offensive game”. I’d say it was a thoroughly unimpressive offensive game. Horrible OL play, lots of drops, and atrocious YPC against a mediocre defense doesn’t qualify as anywhere close to decent, IMO.
I also don't think there is anyone on this board who is overly giddy about the offensive performance yesterday either, but we saw improvement and potential for better results. I don't think I felt that way once with the offense last year.

And now I’m agreeing with ISU fans.😆

Exactly this. If we end up averaging less than 25 ppg, there are going to be a whole lot is disappointed Iowa fans when virtually nothing changes (although Barnett would almost certainly get canned). The only way BF leaves is if his dad steps down or he just gets tired of being a national laughing stock and leaves on his own accord for the NFL to coach OL. He ain’t getting fired no matter what.

Reactions: Stemar
I agree with most of what you say, but the firing decision does not belong to KF. Goetz will be making the decision
Here's the secret no one wants to tell...Kirk and Brian are a package deal. To fire one, you have to fire both. It could happen if the season is poor enough, but firing Kirk is the only way you get rid of Brian. It just is. The plan is to have Brian PROMOTE into Kirk's shoes.

There were certainly a few WTF play-calls but you can find those in just about any football game you watch. We dropped 2-3 TDs and our backup D gave up a garbage TD. The game wasn't nearly as close as the score looked.

I just don't see anything about yesterday as a national embarrassment. What's truly embarrassing is our incompetent ex-AD publically setting a 25 ppg number and opening the team up to these conversations. This will be a weekly thing all season.
Brian and Kirk opened the team up to these conversations. Gary just allowed it.

Here's the secret no one wants to tell...Kirk and Brian are a package deal. To fire one, you have to fire both. It could happen if the season is poor enough, but firing Kirk is the only way you get rid of Brian. It just is. The plan is to have Brian PROMOTE into Kirk's shoes.
Well, I’d disagree on the last point, but no doubt they’re a package deal. After his failed audition as OC, no way Brian gets promoted to HC. That probably was KF’s plan, but that ship has sailed.

Brian and Kirk opened the team up to these conversations. Gary just allowed it.
Lol okay, but I am talking about the conversations around the team needing to hit 25 points every Saturday. That's on Gary. Making that public was just another blunder in a long line of ****-ups for GB.

As someone said in another thread. We shouldn't be focusing on an arbitrary number, we should focus on winning the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT