ADVERTISEMENT

USA Today has Brian F. among weekend’s losers

Do people think BF just doesn't have a good Offensive mind or is he hamstrung by daddy?
It's both, he has certainly been hamstrung in the past, however it's very obvious he lacks intuition in game to push the right buttons.

There were certainly a few WTF play-calls but you can find those in just about any football game you watch. We dropped 2-3 TDs and our backup D gave up a garbage TD. The game wasn't nearly as close as the score looked.

I just don't see anything about yesterday as a national embarrassment. What's truly embarrassing is our incompetent ex-AD publically setting a 25 ppg number and opening the team up to these conversations. This will be a weekly thing all season.
I honestly don't know which comes first, the game plan or the scripted plays.

A few wtf plays is a few too many.

• Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2
You're just proving my point that you're looking at everything through a negative lens, Mr. #1 Fan.

The point of my post was to show how ridiculous it is to call Iowa a national embarrassment when there were plenty of actual embarrassing performances yesterday.
I didn't use the words "national embarrassment", that was someone else. But I'm not in denial that this team has problems in the same place it did last year...a lot of people see it. Single me out if it makes you feel good. Then grab a strong coffee and respond to the thousands of others who see the same thing.

I think an expectation of improvement, even excellence from the most tenured coach in college football is a pretty reasonable thing. Unless it's like this at your house. "Hey Dad...I have a C- average". "No problem son, we're just happy that you aren't one of the kids that are flunking."

I didn't use the words "national embarrassment", that was someone else. But I'm not in denial that this team has problems in the same place it did last year...a lot of people see it. Single me out if it makes you feel good. Then grab a strong coffee and respond to the thousands of others who see the same thing.

I think an expectation of improvement, even excellence from the most tenured coach in college football is a pretty reasonable thing. Unless it's like this at your house. "Hey Dad...I have a C- average". "No problem son, we're just happy that you aren't one of the kids that are flunking."
You're right. I am sorry for singling you out. I think you and I are closer to the same page than we think. As I've stated in another thread, I am nowhere excited by what I saw on offense yesterday but I also am not going to say that there wasn't an improvement from last year and that I don't see the opportunity for continued growth.

There wasn't one time last year I expected the offense to be any better than what we saw in week 1 against SDSU. This year, I actually feel like we have a good opportunity to get better every week, but again, most of that hinges on the health of CM.

I honestly don't know which comes first, the game plan or the scripted plays.

A few wtf plays is a few too many.
Serious question. How many football games did you watch yesterday and how many of those didn't have a few WTF coaching moments? There aren't too many Andy Reid's out there calling offensive plays on Saturdays.

You didn’t watch many other games this weekend, I see.

Purdue loses to Fresno State
Baylor loses to Texas State
Texas Tech loses to Wyoming
Boston College loses to Northern Illinois
Illinois beats Toledo by 2 points
Okie State was tied with Central Arkansas half way through the 4th quarter

But you’re right, Iowa’s 10 point win over Utah State, who scored one TD in garbage time, is the national embarrassment lol.
Blows my mind that people like you actually exist. You literally are referencing other teams struggles to justify Iowa's embarrassing offense? Incredible

Well, I’d disagree on the last point, but no doubt they’re a package deal. After his failed audition as OC, no way Brian gets promoted to HC. That probably was KF’s plan, but that ship has sailed.
I could be wrong, but didn’t K state try that experiment and it didn’t end well…🤔

Reactions: tweeterhawk
LOL it blows your mind there are people who can see that the "Iowa is a national embarrassment" narrative is bullshit?
Says the guy who says he saw Improvement lol.

We scored 14 pts in the first 4 minutes, one where the DB fell down and another where it took us 4 goalline plays to get 5 yards, one of which probably should have been intercepted. For the next 52 minutes WE WERE OUTSCORED AT HOME BY UTAH STATE.

JFC dude wake up

Everyone is making way too much out of this. I doubt BF, KF, the new AD nor anyone else gives two shits what anyone is saying. If this team averages 21 points per game but wins the B1G championship and goes to the playoff nobody is going to care. Conversely, if this team averages 32 points per game and goes 8-4 or 7-5 everyone is going to care. Bottom line, the only performance metric that matters is wins and losses and it is obvious it is win or bust this year with this team, for everyone.

Statistically, compared to his peers, Brian is below average at his job, there’s no doubt about that. And in the eye test yesterday, I didn’t see significant improvement. It’s nice to have a qb hit receivers in stride, but I doubt he plays all of the games behind that offensive line.

Some of you are very naive. The "25" per game is a goal...not an "automatically he's fired" mandate. If you really believe Iowa averages 24 points a game and goes 9-3...and Kirk fires his own son...well...no one can help you to wake up to reality. That proviso was put in to buy time and get people off Ferentz' back...it would take 7-5 and closer to 20 points a game to force any real change. Don't bet on that either.
Media gonna absolutely roast Iowa when they don't hit the 25 points and nothing happens to Brian.

Everyone is making way too much out of this. I doubt BF, KF, the new AD nor anyone else gives two shits what anyone is saying. If this team averages 21 points per game but wins the B1G championship and goes to the playoff nobody is going to care. Conversely, if this team averages 32 points per game and goes 8-4 or 7-5 everyone is going to care. Bottom line, the only performance metric that matters is wins and losses and it is obvious it is win or bust this year with this team, for everyone.
As in, “Win the West or bust?”

Sadly, I think it’s more like, “Any result is OK because KF runs the show and he can do whatever he wants.” Regardless of what happens on the field, Kirk will hang it up when he feels like it, and Brian will never be fired.

Says the guy who says he saw Improvement lol.

We scored 14 pts in the first 4 minutes, one where the DB fell down and another where it took us 4 goalline plays to get 5 yards, one of which probably should have been intercepted. For the next 52 minutes WE WERE OUTSCORED AT HOME BY UTAH STATE.

JFC dude wake up
You didn't see any improvement at all yesterday over last year? Here's a question for you, do we win that game yesterday with the 2022 offense? If you say yes, you're lying to yourself.

Iowa's offense is still far from great, but I don't think yesterday is going to be their best performance of the year. We get it, you're not optimistic about that, but don't act like other people are nuts for having a little optimism. I think Cade missed some open guys and made some throws he wouldn't have made if he wasn't hobbled. I also suspect his injury is limiting playcalling a bit. I really hope he can get to 100% soon.

I think the OL looked better in pass protection but there is still work to be done in the run game. I still think Kaleb is too good to not have a good year. I think our TEs are just as good if not better than last year. Lachey is a STUD. WR didn't have a big day, but I like what I saw from Anderson.

Trust me, if this offense doesn't improve week to week this year, I won't be on here defending KF or BF. I just think some of you were waiting for the first chance to complain. There's a lot of season left.

I dunno — there are a whole lot of pundits and fans laughing their asses off at Iowa these days. I don’t like it, but it’s hard to argue that that’s not nationally embarrassing.
Some people care way too much about what the talking heads and mouthbreathers on Twitter have to say. The majority of the football world still has a lot of respect for KF and the Iowa football program. We are nowhere close to a national embarrassment.

Some people care way too much about what the talking heads and mouthbreathers on Twitter have to say. The majority of the football world still has a lot of respect for KF and the Iowa football program. We are nowhere close to a national embarrassment.
I’m not on social media, so there’s that. It’s obvious based on listening to local and national media that people in the business are laughing at Iowa.

Whether we’re a national embarrassment is in the eye of the beholder. Sure, other coaches will always have respect for KF, as they should. However, that doesn’t change the fact that his offense has been hysterically horrendous for 2 years now and that hasn’t yet changed much after game 1 of the 2023 season. Add to that the ridiculously stupid contract that has national pundits tracking our record and points scored per game on a weekly basis, and it could very easily be argued that we’re a laughing stock and therefore a national embarrassment.

It’s a matter of opinion, but when the media are quite literally laughing at your program on a weekly basis (and have been marveling at the colossal ineptitude of our offense for 2 full seasons now), it’s hard to refute those who call Iowa football a national embarrassment. I certainly don’t think anyone can justifiably declare definitively that we aren’t.

You didn't see any improvement at all yesterday over last year? Here's a question for you, do we win that game yesterday with the 2022 offense? If you say yes, you're lying to yourself.

Iowa's offense is still far from great, but I don't think yesterday is going to be their best performance of the year. We get it, you're not optimistic about that, but don't act like other people are nuts for having a little optimism. I think Cade missed some open guys and made some throws he wouldn't have made if he wasn't hobbled. I also suspect his injury is limiting playcalling a bit. I really hope he can get to 100% soon.

I think the OL looked better in pass protection but there is still work to be done in the run game. I still think Kaleb is too good to not have a good year. I think our TEs are just as good if not better than last year. Lachey is a STUD. WR didn't have a big day, but I like what I saw from Anderson.

Trust me, if this offense doesn't improve week to week this year, I won't be on here defending KF or BF. I just think some of you were waiting for the first chance to complain. There's a lot of season leleft.
did you read what i just said to you? We got outscored by Utah State for the last 50+ minutes! Honestly I did not really see any improvement other than we have a quarterback who can actually complete a basic pass. Run blocking was garbage, play-calling was still the worst in the country. Receivers get no separation whatsoever. Utah state made adjustments, we did not. Pass protection? Utah state was a bottom 30 defense in the country last year, is picked to finish 8th in the mountain west, has 53 (!) new players and lost their best defensive player on the first play of the game!

I appreciate your positivity but you're the one lying to yourself

I would be more positive but as long as that dufus is calling plays, its going to be more of the same. I'm sure Phil and Co will win us games.. but this is all so frickin ridiculous year after year

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
I reserve judgement until after the ISU game. Sure a lot needs to be improved, but I'm in the camp that thinks they didn't want to show much to state.

Yep, decent. Not horrible, but not great. We had passing touchdowns which was better than last year, great catches by multiple receivers, a possible stud in Wetjen, improved Pass Pro, and a QB that's actually accurate and not a statue.

Our OLine can hold them during Pass Pro, but it seems the running scheme is just a mess. Other than that, it could've been much, much worse.

No, it was not decent. It was an objectively dismal offensive performance.

• Haha
Reactions: 2D_ and Bro D
I’m not on social media, so there’s that. It’s obvious based on listening to local and national media that people in the business are laughing at Iowa.

Whether we’re a national embarrassment is in the eye of the beholder. Sure, other coaches will always have respect for KF, as they should. However, that doesn’t change the fact that his offense has been hysterically horrendous for 2 years now and that hasn’t yet changed much after game 1 of the 2023 season. Add to that the ridiculously stupid contract that has national pundits tracking our record and points scored per game on a weekly basis, and it could very easily be argued that we’re a laughing stock and therefore a national embarrassment.

It’s a matter of opinion, but when the media are quite literally laughing at your program on a weekly basis (and have been marveling at the colossal ineptitude of our offense for 2 full seasons now), it’s hard to refute those who call Iowa football a national embarrassment. I certainly don’t think anyone can justifiably declare definitively that we aren’t.
This is honestly the worst part of the entire thing. This is what's going to get the most attention throughout the season, similar to this:

CBS Sports will be tracking Iowa's points per game throughout the season while calculating whether the Hawkeyes are on track to meet the threshhold necessary for the team's offensive coordinator to keep his job.

Anyways, taking social media out, If I google "Iowa football offense" there are two articles that are truly negative about yesterday's game:

Clutch Points:

Fansided:

Lol who TF even are these websites and writers we are supposed to care about?

Then you look at actual respected outlets, like The Athletic, which sees it a little differently:

I don't listen to sports radio, but I also don't give a shit what Colin Cowherd has to say about anything.

Lol okay, but I am talking about the conversations around the team needing to hit 25 points every Saturday. That's on Gary. Making that public was just another blunder in a long line of ****-ups for GB.

As someone said in another thread. We shouldn't be focusing on an arbitrary number, we should focus on winning the game.
JFC fans and media call for accountability on BF and how weak GB is to say and do nothing. So GB goes public with a plan/contract to make BF accountable and put BF and KF on notice.

Now the fans and media say it's a blunder?! Come on people make up your ever loving minds. You've lost them.

This is honestly the worst part of the entire thing. This is what's going to get the most attention throughout the season, similar to this:

CBS Sports will be tracking Iowa's points per game throughout the season while calculating whether the Hawkeyes are on track to meet the threshhold necessary for the team's offensive coordinator to keep his job.

Anyways, taking social media out, If I google "Iowa football offense" there are two articles that are truly negative about yesterday's game:

Clutch Points:

Fansided:

Then you look at actual respected outlets, like The Athletic, which sees it a little differently:

I don't listen to sports radio, but I also don't give a shit what Colin Cowherd has to say about anything.
Yes it’s coordinated. Should make you question the agenda.

Clutch Points:

Fansided:

I’m not saying I care about media personalities laughing at us, but that doesn’t change the fact that they are.

As for Scott, he’s a classy guy and a pro. He’s never going to be brutally honest in public about Iowa’s offensive ineptitude, out of respect for KF and also knowing that he’ll lose access if he takes off the gloves completely. I respect that.

At the end of the day it’s a matter of opinion. We can agree to disagree. And I sure hope the Hawks’ offense turns it around and shuts up the naysayers. It’s up to the OL. They get their act together and we could put together some respectable offense still this season.

Reactions: GlenHawk
JFC fans and media call for accountability on BF and how weak GB is to say and do nothing. So GB goes public with a plan/contract to make BF accountable and put BF and KF on notice.

Now the fans and media say it's a blunder?! Come on people make up your ever loving minds. You've lost them.
No Iowa fan with a brain actually thought that this was a good idea when Gary Barta made it public. You can put a coach on notice publically without setting an arbitrary number for the team to hit every week 😂

Now Gary gave us the weekly CBS Iowa football scores tracker lol.

• Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2
BF has been a loser a heck of a lot longer than just this past weekend.

Besides, I thought we were all supposed to be overjoyed simply because it's not the '70s, the B1G has an awesome TV contract, we sell lots of tickets, there was that one game against UNI in '09 and everyone else in the B1G West sucks, too.

Statistically, compared to his peers, Brian is below average at his job, there’s no doubt about that. And in the eye test yesterday, I didn’t see significant improvement. It’s nice to have a qb hit receivers in stride, but I doubt he plays all of the games behind that offensive line.
"below average"...that's putting it lightly.

Utah State gave up an average of 146 yards/game rushing last year, 430 total yards/game...against largely non P5 competition. Iowa only managed 88 yards on the ground yesterday...and less than 300 total at home.

https://www.covers.com/sport/football/ncaaf/statistics/team-defense/2022-2023

did you read what i just said to you? We got outscored by Utah State for the last 50+ minutes! Honestly I did not really see any improvement other than we have a quarterback who can actually complete a basic pass. Run blocking was garbage, play-calling was still the worst in the country. Receivers get no separation whatsoever. Utah state made adjustments, we did not. Pass protection? Utah state was a bottom 30 defense in the country last year, is picked to finish 8th in the mountain west, has 53 (!) new players and lost their best defensive player on the first play of the game!

I appreciate your positivity but you're the one lying to yourself

I would be more positive but as long as that dufus is calling plays, its going to be more of the same. I'm sure Phil and Co will win us games.. but this is all so frickin ridiculous year after year
If you go back and look, you'll see that I am nowhere excited by what we saw yesterday. I am just not ready to give up on them yet, as I think we have some guys who can play, an actual leader at QB, and a real chance to get better week to week.

I hope I am right because they are going to have to be better next week if we want to beat ISU.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
No, it was not decent. It was an objectively dismal offensive performance.
you've got to look relative to last season. i posted this in a different thread, not all of it is relevant but still--
last year ended with #123 offense, this year offense is at #83, a leap by 40 spots.
last year ended with #2 defense, this year the defense is at #42, a decline by exactly 40 spots.
I realize this year's stats are based off 1-game but it is for illustrative purposes.
If we had last year's defense, yesterday's game would've ended around 45-0 or thereabouts.

Reactions: Chucksizzle1
you've got to look relative to last season. i posted this in a different thread, not all of it is relevant but still--
last year ended with #123 offense, this year offense is at #83, a leap by 40 spots.
last year ended with #2 defense, this year the defense is at #42, a decline by exactly 40 spots.
I realize this year's stats are based off 1-game but it is for illustrative purposes.
If we had last year's defense, yesterday's game would've ended around 45-0 or thereabouts.
Numbers don’t really matter. Everybody could look at last year and to an extent yesterday and say the offense was just as bad, except for a major upgrade at quarterback. The starting defense didn’t give up a touchdown. Expecting them to hold good big ten teams under 17 to 20 points is a recipe for disaster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT