ADVERTISEMENT

VOTE: How many REG SEASON wins for Iowa? Rank the Sched Starting w/ Most Likely Loss to Least Likely

Right now, how many Reg Season wins do you see for Iowa?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wisconsin will be the B1G Champs and reach the CFP?

Nebby will beat Iowa?

Thats what this dude from ESPN thinks.
  • i

Mark SchlabachESPN Senior Writer

TEAM PREDICTED FINISH
1. Wisconsin 11-1, 8-1
2. Northwestern 8-4, 5-4
3. Purdue 8-4, 5-4
4. Iowa 7-5, 5-4
5. Nebraska 7-5, 4-5
6. Minnesota 5-7, 2-7
7. Illinois 2-10, 0-9

Wisconsin is going to win the Big Ten title and reach the College Football Playoff: The Badgers have all of the ingredients for a championship: a much-improved quarterback, a Heisman Trophy-caliber tailback, a Wisconsin-like offensive line and one of the best defensive coordinators in the country. The Badgers' schedule is a little bit more difficult than the previous couple of seasons, but they'll lose only once -- at Michigan on Oct. 13 -- and then they'll get revenge against the Wolverines in the Big Ten championship game to punch their CFP tickets.

Scott Frost won't be able to run for governor of Nebraska just yet: The Cornhuskers are going to be better than they were under former coach Mike Riley, but Frost isn't pulling off a UCF miracle in his first season at his alma mater. Nebraska will start 3-0 but will then lose road games at Michigan, Wisconsin, Northwestern and Ohio State. The Cornhuskers will knock off Michigan State and Iowa late to salvage a solid campaign.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...iew-power-5-predictions-winners-players-watch

Wisconsin will be the B1G Champs and reach the CFP?

Nebby will beat Iowa?

Thats what this dude from ESPN thinks.
  • i

Mark SchlabachESPN Senior Writer

TEAM PREDICTED FINISH
1. Wisconsin 11-1, 8-1
2. Northwestern 8-4, 5-4
3. Purdue 8-4, 5-4
4. Iowa 7-5, 5-4
5. Nebraska 7-5, 4-5
6. Minnesota 5-7, 2-7
7. Illinois 2-10, 0-9

Wisconsin is going to win the Big Ten title and reach the College Football Playoff: The Badgers have all of the ingredients for a championship: a much-improved quarterback, a Heisman Trophy-caliber tailback, a Wisconsin-like offensive line and one of the best defensive coordinators in the country. The Badgers' schedule is a little bit more difficult than the previous couple of seasons, but they'll lose only once -- at Michigan on Oct. 13 -- and then they'll get revenge against the Wolverines in the Big Ten championship game to punch their CFP tickets.

Scott Frost won't be able to run for governor of Nebraska just yet: The Cornhuskers are going to be better than they were under former coach Mike Riley, but Frost isn't pulling off a UCF miracle in his first season at his alma mater. Nebraska will start 3-0 but will then lose road games at Michigan, Wisconsin, Northwestern and Ohio State. The Cornhuskers will knock off Michigan State and Iowa late to salvage a solid campaign.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...iew-power-5-predictions-winners-players-watch

Just read through the projection. He has 4 teams undefeated through the regular season:

Alabama
Georgia
Clemson
Washington

So I guess, unless there's an upset along the way and the committee isn't willing to put two SEC teams in the playoffs again (they will), we might as well just not play at all this year.

He also lists Iowa as the team in the B10 most likely to fall.

Eff him.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I voted for 8 wins.

7 wins = meh year

UNI
Northern Illinois
at Illinois
Maryland
at Indiana
at Purdue
at Minnesota

8 = Solid year

Iowa State

9 wins = Good year

Nebraska

10 = Great year

Northwestern

11 = Amazing year

at Penn State

12 = Going blind from rubbing one out while re-watching the games on DVR from the end of the bowl game until September 2019 year

Wisconsin

I had to laugh at that one....because it is true

Just read through the projection. He has 4 teams undefeated through the regular season:

Alabama
Georgia
Clemson
Washington

So I guess, unless there's an upset along the way and the committee isn't willing to put two SEC teams in the playoffs again (they will), we might as well just not play at all this year.

He also lists Iowa as the team in the B10 most likely to fall.

Eff him.
yeah, he is predicting this:
2-1 nonconf
5-4 conference

It appears his 5 losses are these:
Iowa State (the one nonconf loss)
Wisconsin
Penn State
Nebraska
One other B1G team (thoughts on who this is?)

Why does everybody have us losing to the Clowns in Iowa City?

I don't think 7-5 would go over very well with the masses.

I still am going with 10-2.

I think your boys go 8-4. With a victory over our boys @ Kinnick on black Friday. I think it should probably be closer than the last two years, time will tell.

As a Husker fan who has a fun rivalry with a buddy:

Most likely wins (6-0, but probably 5-1)
UNI
ILL
NIU
Maryland
Min( breaking in a walk on QB)
IU (only because it’s a back to back road game)

Battle testing games (3-1, but probably 2-2)

Northwestern (payback game)
Purdue (only because it’s on the heels of the Penn St game)
Nebraska (End of the season. Possibly getting the Huskers at their best. NEB 38 - IA 31)
Iowa St. (took you to the wire last year and is a pretty good squad.)

Probably Losses (0-2, but probably 1-1)

Wisconsin
PennSt.

Note

Iowa’s big tendency is to win a game that is unexpected and struggle or lose a game that leaves your head in hand.

My prediction Reality
9-3 8-4

By the way we will be up in Iowa City for the game. Hope you have a good season.

As a Husker fan who has a fun rivalry with a buddy:

Most likely wins (6-0, but probably 5-1)
UNI
ILL
NIU
Maryland
Min( breaking in a walk on QB)
IU (only because it’s a back to back road game)

Battle testing games (3-1, but probably 2-2)

Northwestern (payback game)
Purdue (only because it’s on the heels of the Penn St game)
Nebraska (End of the season. Possibly getting the Huskers at their best. NEB 38 - IA 31)
Iowa St. (took you to the wire last year and is a pretty good squad.)

Probably Losses (0-2, but probably 1-1)

Wisconsin
PennSt.

Note

Iowa’s big tendency is to win a game that is unexpected and struggle or lose a game that leaves your head in hand.

My prediction Reality
9-3 8-4

By the way we will be up in Iowa City for the game. Hope you have a good season.
If Iowa fans are being realistic, we see losses at Penn State and to Wisconsin (a CFP favorite by many).

Iowa seems to always lose a game we don't see coming (Purdue last year). For whatever reason, the team comes out flat and does not execute. I guess that can happen in any sport; heck, Serena Williams breezed through 6 straight rounds at Wimbledon and then got blitzed in the final. She looked flat. Few saw that coming.

So, again, if we are being realistic, Iowa has 3 losses at a minimum.

But I don't see Iowa losing to ISU and Nebby at home.

We shall see.

In the latest Hawkeye Report Podcast (Aug 29), here were the predictions:

10-2 Julian Vandervelde (what I predicted)
9-3 Mike Gesell
9-3 Argus-Dispatch columnist John Marx
9-3 @TomKakert
9-3 Matt Randazzo

Sounds like the Godfather's pizza (taco, pepperoni, meat lovers and dessert) was really good, too.

LINK to the 72 minute podcast: http://hrpodcast.com/hawkeye-podcast-263/

Last edited:
From ESPN.com regarding Penn State struggling in its OT win over App State:

The Penn State defense gave up 38 points and 451 total yards to the App State Mountaineers.

The Nittany Lions replaced eight starters on defense, lost offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead and running backs coach Charles Huff to Mississippi State, saw wide receivers coach Josh Gattis leave for Alabama and had all-everything running back Saquon Barkley leave for the NFL.

Those losses combined with the results of this game will create some questions going forward

All 442 predictions/votes are currently in play.

I am still thinking 10-2, but i am counting on us starting out 4-0

Most (31%) thought Iowa ends up at 9-3.

From the Associated Press:

Iowa: The Hawkeyes have the makings of a special defense. That could lead to a special season in Iowa City -- especially with what appears to be an easy schedule.

But Iowa's wide receivers struggled mightily until the game-deciding drive, and its passing game as a whole has been subpar through two games. It hasn't mattered much just yet, but the Hawkeyes won't go far in the Big Ten if they can't throw the ball.

Here are the current ESPN Power Rankings (Sep 10).

According to them, our hardest conference games, in order, are:

2 Wisconsin
3 Penn State
7 Maryland
8 Minnesota
9 N'western
10 Indiana
11 Nebraska
13 Illinois
14 Purdue

1. Ohio State Buckeyes (2-0)
The 900th win in program history and second this season without coach Urban Meyer was merely a tuneup for the Buckeyes' visit to battle TCU.

2. Wisconsin Badgers (2-0)
Taylor ran for 253 yards and three touchdowns on 33 attempts. Note to future foes of the Badgers: Don't let that happen or you'll lose.

3. Penn State Nittany Lions (2-0)
How's that for a response? The Lions routed Pitt 51-6, exacting revenge for a loss to two years ago at Heinz Field and answering critics after the shaky Week 1 win.

4. Michigan Wolverines (1-1)
The Big House debut for Shea Patterson went much more smoothly than his first game with the Wolverines as the transfer QB threw for three TDs in a rout of Western Michigan.

5. Iowa Hawkeyes (2-0)
No matter how ugly, a fourth straight win in the CyHawk series looks beautiful to Iowa, which held rival Iowa State to 188 yards in a 13-3 victory.

6. Michigan State Spartans (1-1)
Arizona State turned away a 10th consecutive Big Ten visitor to Tempe, placing a big dent in the Spartans' resume by rallying from a 10-point fourth-quarter deficit.

7. Maryland Terrapins (2-0)
Terps Tayon Fleet-Davis and Ty Johnson topped 100 yards on the ground as Maryland came back from behind to score 38 unanswered against Bowling Green.

8. Minnesota Golden Gophers (2-0)
Dramatics in Minneapolis from Antoine Winfield Jr., who made a game-saving interception against Fresno State, as true freshman QB Zack Annexstadcontinued to impress.

9. Northwestern Wildcats (1-1)
The nation's longest FBS winning streak is over as Duke QB Daniel Jones, before leaving with a clavicle injury, picked apart the Wildcats for a second straight year.

10. Indiana Hoosiers (2-0)
True freshman Stevie Scott rumbled for 204 yards as the Hoosiers snuck past Virginia, moving within sight a perfect three-game start for the second time since 2011.

11. Nebraska Cornhuskers (0-1)
Repeated mistakes cost the Huskers in the debut for coach Scott Frost, who may lost talented freshman Adrian Martinez, the only available QB on scholarship, to a knee injury in the fourth quarter.

12. Rutgers Scarlet Knights (1-1)
A Week 3 trip to Kansas, with the Jayhawks fresh off a landmark victory, will tell us much more about the Scarlet Knights than the customary blowout defeat at Ohio State.

13. Illinois Fighting Illini (2-0)
Quarterback A.J. Bush left in the first quarter with a leg injury, giving way to freshman M.J. Rivers, who sparked the Illini to victory over undermanned Western Illinois.

14. Purdue Boilermakers (0-2)
Season-opening loss to Northwestern? OK. Followed up with a loss to Eastern Michigan? Not OK. The Boilers have now dug themselves a hole as Mizzou heads to town.

Just my gut feeling but I think the next 5 games Iowa only wins 2 of them. Then win the last 2 vs Illinois and Nebraska.

8-4 with a bowl trip out west vs Utah or Cal

How is everyone feeling regarding their prediction?

I am still hoping for 10-2 but it's gonna be tough. We can't afford turnovers, especially on the road. Especially at Penn State.

How is everyone feeling regarding their prediction?

I am still hoping for 10-2 but it's gonna be tough. We can't afford turnovers, especially on the road. Especially at Penn State.
I had the Hawks at 9-3 ... but I think that you should stay put as a "believer" at 10-2. I think that the Hawks beat Maryland ... but then split our road trips @PSU and @PU. It's hard to say what one is the more likely loss .... PSU is looking more vulnerable than expected ... but PU looks to be surging ... and, for whatever reason, their "itch where it scratches" O makes me rather nervous. However, I REALLY like our chances to win out in our last 3 games.

I had the Hawks at 9-3 ... but I think that you should stay put as a "believer" at 10-2. I think that the Hawks beat Maryland ... but then split our road trips @PSU and @PU. It's hard to say what one is the more likely loss .... PSU is looking more vulnerable than expected ... but PU looks to be surging ... and, for whatever reason, their "itch where it scratches" O makes me rather nervous. However, I REALLY like our chances to win out in our last 3 games.
and to think, 21 people said Iowa would win 4 games or fewer

i really like Iowa's focus right now; and if we can avoid turnovers (vs Wisky, we were MINUS 3), i think anything is possible. one game at a time

I picked 9-3 with losses to Wisky, PSU and either IU or Purdue. So we shall see.

Just a reminder that most on here expected a three loss season. And all 3 losses could have easily been wins. it sucks. There are only a few Elite programs and after that there is parity across college football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT