ADVERTISEMENT

Walsh Ironman

Jordyn Raney takes out PSU recruit Mason Gibson 7-5 in SV, an exciting match.

Quarterfinal - Bo Bassett (Bishop McCort) 22-0 won by tech fall over Charles Curtis (Massillon Perry) 2-1 (TF-1.5 2:33 (20-5))

Quarterfinal - Marcus Blaze (Perrysburg) 3-0 won by major decision over Jayce Paridon (Lake Highland Prep) 2-1 (MD 13-4)

Period 1 under way, Ferrari vs Sherlock Quarterfinal.

In on a single, gets into a scramble. comfortably navigates to a finish after trying to put Sherlock in danger. Up 2-0. 1:35 remaining. Riding tough, has Sherlock flat on his stomach. Will ride out the 1st period and end up 2-0. Sherlock hit with a stall warning late in the period.

2nd period. Ferrari starts down. Sherlock throws double boots in has Angelo broken down flat, kind of stuck underneath in double boot ride. Stalemate called at 1:06, nothing was happening. Ferrari ready for the leg to come in and shakes him for the reversal. 4-0 lead with :25 remaining in the 2nd. Rides him out to end the period.

3rd Period, Sherlock starts down. Ferrari appears committed to a tough ride here, at least to start. Illegal move called on Ferrari related to his ride how he was isolated the wrist/elbow I guess.. guy on the call seemed confused by it as well. 4-1 Ferrari, :49 seconds remain in the 3rd still riding tough.

Angelo finishes with his suffocating ride and finishes 4-1. Controlled win, I think he wanted to establish dominance on top after getting ridden for a while in double legs.

Last edited:
Henckel tied 1-1 with Ethan Birden in period 3. 1:30 remaining.
Henckel and Birden seem destined for SV.

They go through SV scoreless. 1-1 heading to rideouts.

Birden escapes with about :15 seconds left in 30 rideouts.

Henckel down now. 2-1 Birden leads.

Looks like Henckel will be ridden out, 7 seconds left on last restart. Lots of short bursts that killed clock and ended out of bounds.

Henckel goes down 2-1 in OT Rideouts to Ethan Birden. Hope he comes back strong for 3rd!

Ethan Birden will be Angelos Semifinal opponent tomorrow.

FYI - Ethan Birden is #21 on the 2024 Big Board, and committed to Ohio State.

-----------
Lockett just starting against Clay Giddens-Buttram.

Lockett/Giddens-Buttram scoreless first period. G-B going down to start 2nd.

Escape G-B. Lockett in deep and gets the finish, 2-1 Lockett minute remaining in the 2nd.

Lockett puts a tough ride on and finishes the 2nd period on top 2-1. Going on bottom to start the 3rd.

Hits a nice switch from his feet to get the escape. Leads 3-1.

Lockett drops in and snags a slick counter attack takedown on the edge to ice it 5-1. :18 seconds remaining. Finishes the rideout and wins 5-1. Into the semis vs Sealey tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gutt15
Who I will be focusing on:
106- Rocco Cassioppi (5 seed)
113- Bruno Cassioppi (12 seed)
120- Leo DeLuca (1 seed)
126- Jax Forrest (2 seed)
126- Jayden Raney (5 seed)
132- Marcus Blaze (2 seed)
132- Jordyn Raney (5 seed)
138- Bo Bassett (1 seed)
165- Angelo Ferrari (1 seed)
165- LaDarian Lockett (3 seed)
165- William Henckel (4 seed)
215- Michael Mocco (4 seed)

Edited to add Christian Fretwell (13 seed) who visited us is also wrestling at 132. He and his family are tight with the Ferrari and Sealey clans.
After today's action my worthless opinions on some of these guys.

Deluca looks the part, similar build as Jesuroga but looks quicker with more diverse attacks. Great tank as well.

Forrest is a stud, not much else to add.

Blaze really impressed me, very complete wrestler with very nice attacks.

Raney boys have heart and guts, good defense and can scramble. Are lacking some in neutral attacks compared to guys like Forrest, Blaze and Bassett. The slide by and go behind are not as fruitful in college.

Bassett is a stud.

Ferrari in control all the time.

Lockett impressive, especially since he looks a weight class smaller than the rest of the guys at 165.

Henckel kind of a bull, gives me Mike Evans vibes. Does not score as well as Ferrari, Dee and Sealy.

Fretwell kind of a grinder. Was lucky to win second match then lost to Gibson.

DeLuca is a beast and may be able to maintain 125, we are getting a really good one with this young man.
'Ferrari is a stud just like his brothers, very controlled and solid in all positions.

Bassett is a freak, back up the brinks truck.

What is the story with Jaxon Joy and Jake Dailey? I have to look if they are committed, if not these two should be on the wish list also.

They do an outstanding job of having three or four high AA guys consistently. Very impressive considering they are an ivy.
it’s one of the best recruiting situations in the country. easier to get in than other ivies, but still has the prestige. 100% need based financial aid so they don’t have to deal with the 9.9 limit. Located near several elite recruiting areas.

Reactions: Inthecircle
After today's action my worthless opinions on some of these guys.

Deluca looks the part, similar build as Jesuroga but looks quicker with more diverse attacks. Great tank as well.

Forrest is a stud, not much else to add.

Blaze really impressed me, very complete wrestler with very nice attacks.

Raney boys have heart and guts, good defense and can scramble. Are lacking some in neutral attacks compared to guys like Forrest, Blaze and Bassett. The slide by and go behind are not as fruitful in college.

Bassett is a stud.

Ferrari in control all the time.

Lockett impressive, especially since he looks a weight class smaller than the rest of the guys at 165.

Henckel kind of a bull, gives me Mike Evans vibes. Does not score as well as Ferrari, Dee and Sealy.

Fretwell kind of a grinder. Was lucky to win second match then lost to Gibson.
What are the thoughts on Mocco? I saw he won his quarterfinal.

Are semis 10:45 ET or CT? I can never tell with flo.
10:45 CT, 11:45 ET. (Side note: Bo Bassett posted on his social media that semis were at 11:30 ET, so i'm tuning in at 10:30 to be safe.)

Consis are going on right now.

Reactions: GlenHawk
Cassioppi down 0-9 in 106 semis against the top seeded wrestler Joey Bachmann. Loses 11-3.

DeLuca on deck mat 2.

Last edited:
DeLuca up now, immediately in on a single with trip finish in the first 10 seconds. Up 2-0. Up against Ethan Rivera from Lake Highland Prep, FL. Escape from Rivera, 2-1. DeLuca stalking Rivera to the edge, working 2-1, Rivera backs out and stall call on Rivera. Rivera gets in on a single with 5 seconds left but period ends 2-1 DeLuca.

Rivera starts down to start the 2nd. DeLuca riding hard, working his brutal arm bar series on top. Getting nearfall now and gets the fall! :56 remaining in the 2nd period.

Man DeLuca is tough on top with his bar/half series. Kinda reminds me of someone else...

Last edited:
DeLuca vs Jordan in finals:

• Semifinal - Beric Jordan (Stillwater) 5-0 won by decision over Nathan Desmond (Wyoming Seminary (PA)) 4-1 (Dec 3-2)

Couple OT matches at 126:

Semifinal - Luke Lilledahl (Wyoming Seminary (PA)) 5-0 won in sudden victory - 1 over Seth Mendoza (Mt. Carmel) 7-1 (SV-1 9-5)
Semifinal - Jax Forrest (Bishop McCort) 34-1 won in sudden victory - 1 over JJ McComas (Stillwater) 3-1 (SV-1 8-6)

• Semifinal - Ben Davino (St. Charles East) 5-0 won by decision over Jordyn Raney (Union County) 4-1 (Dec 9-4)

Reactions: fronk71
Ferrari up on mat 3 now.

Angelo Controlling ties with his underhook series. Birden downblocking really low and backs straight out of bounds on his knees basically. Not a lot of action, Angelo controlling center with underhooks. Angelo in a beautiful shot right at the end but too little time. Period ends 0-0.

Ferrari down and escapes right away to start the 2nd. Leads 1-0. Shot by Ferrari he's in deep. Birden trying to hop out of bounds. Grabs his ankle, savvy move to keep him in bounds. Comes up to rear bodylock to lock him in place, then drops to the legs again to finish for 2 on the edge. 3-0 lead for Angelo, :45 remaining 2nd period. Angelo finishes off the period with his dominant spiral/claw ride and period ends 3-0.

Birden starts neutral in the 3rd. Not much happening, Ferrari still controlling all the ties with underhook series. Birden not really firing off any offense. Birden takes a half shot and Ferrari snap and floats to another clean leg attack. Tries navigating to a finish but ends up OOB. Birden tries a TD but counter for Ferrari, 5-0 lead. Gives up a freebie at the end 5-1.

Will have winner of Sealey/Lockett (which is just starting on mat 1) in the finals later.

Last edited:
If birden didn’t wanna wrestle today he could’ve said so. Backing up constantly, Angelo chasing him around, finally got the takedown
Semifinal - Angelo Ferrari (Melissa) 5-0 won by decision over Ethan Birden (Dublin Coffman) 52-3 (Dec 5-1)

Sealy over Lockett, 4-2. Lockett seemed lethargic and didn't wrestle with any pace. Didn't seem to have a plan out there.

Reactions: MVPFAN
Bo has trained with Spencer, he is his favorite wrestler. Heck they even where the same singlets!
I may have posted this story before, but my dad and I were eating dinner at Iowa River Power the night after the 2020 PSU dual. There was a family sitting next to us that had wrestling shirts on, and we had a quick conversation as we were leaving.

They said they were from PA in town for the dual and wrestled for Jody’s club. As you said, big Spencer fans but they mostly spoke about Max. They told us that they had been in the Iowa room that day working out with Max, and you could tell both kids thought a lot of him.

Didn’t realize it was the Bassett clan until a couple of years later. Seemed like a really nice family from the brief interaction. Would love to have them in Iowa City.

• Semifinal - Marcus Blaze (Perrysburg) 4-0 won by decision over Dillon Campbell (Legacy Christian Academy) 49-3 (Dec 7-1)
Blaze makes it look easy out there. Really hope he is still considering Iowa.

• Semifinal - Marcus Blaze (Perrysburg) 4-0 won by decision over Dillon Campbell (Legacy Christian Academy) 49-3 (Dec 7-1)
Blaze makes it look easy out there. Really hope he is still considering Iowa.
[/QUOTE]
Agree, I really like him a lot. He looks like a perfect 133 candidate.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaxHawk174
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT