ADVERTISEMENT

Way to early B1G West Predictions

QChawks

HR King
Feb 11, 2013
Quad Cities
Kinda amusing Gopher Daily prediction

rU0hlId.jpg

Minnesota has one optimist and one pessimist. Wisconsin the choice for first or second on all. Hoping the 4 picking Iowa are correct.

Reactions: NoSwampDonkeys
I like 5th for Purdue. Should be much improved as they upgraded the defensive staff and return basically the entire team. Also got rid of the internal issues. I believe they could be better than 5th, but believe it when I see it. 6-6.

I’ll admit not knowing enough about what the other teams lost or bring back, so my opinion might not be realistic. That said iowa’s OL and DL both likely take a step back. OL’s going to be much smaller and i think iowa does better with 1-2 320lb guys available. Similar but to lesser extent (we have done well with smaller guys also) with DL. WRs lose both athletism and size as well. Loss of continuity at multiple position coaching on O is another thing to watch for.

If we are going to win the west, a combination of clutch play, excellent coaching, nice bounces going our way, and other teams losing equivalent talent will likely come into play. I’m not sure the 2021 team is on paper straightup superior to the 2020 version.

Last edited:
Reactions: texas twister
Will be interesting my default pick for the last 10 years Wisky looks like they are trending down...so we will see what happens. It’s all right there for the Hawks to take, which makes me worried because usually when there is a golden opportunity it seems the hawks stub their toe more often than not

I think it is a toss up as usual and could just come down to who has the easiest schedule. Iowa, Wisconsin, and Northwestern are the ones to watch.

I’ll admit not knowing enough about what the other teams lost or bring back, so my opinion might not be realistic. That said iowa’s OL and DL both likely take a step back. OL’s going to be much smaller and i think iowa does better with 1-2 320lb guys available. Similar but to lesser extent (we have done well with smaller guys also) with DL. WRs lose both athletism and size as well. Loss of continuity at multiple position coaching on O is another thing to watch for.

If we are going to win the west, a combination of clutch play, excellent coaching, nice bounces going our way, and other teams losing equivalent talent will likely come into play. I’m not sure the 2021 team is on paper straightup superior to the 2020 version.
Even with the loss of AJ, Banwart and Kallenberger I really like this OL group. An AA at center and Plumb should step right in at LT. I think it will be deeper too. I'm also thinking this WR group will be more athletic than 2020.

Pressure should be on Iowa to win the West. We are way over due and the coaching staff needs to get the job done. No more losing to Northwestern and Purdue. Wisconsin should have another down year. No excuses for Iowa.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Cross over games do make a difference. Usually Indiana would be beneficial to have on the schedule but not this year for Iowa. But only going against Ohio st in the east is the only team with an almost guaranteed L. I believe minn. and Nebraska 2 of the 3 teams to play them.

also I’m shocked the Nebraska writer didn’t have them 1 after “winning” another off season but also only one that had them 3rd or higher.

No guarantees out there but I think our Hawks have a good as chance as anybody to win the west. Considering we open with Indy, (and ISU the following week), we have to be ready from the get go. Hopefully Petras will be comfortable in the pocket.

I'm taking Iowa, of course. Assumption is much improvement in the quarterback play. Not sure from whom it will come but I'm thinking the quarterback looks much better.

Nebby will own the BIG West - you will have to adjust to them!!

HAHAHAHAHAAH
Still just a classic way to setup your team for failure.

I am hoping the tide is turning a bit with Iowa moving past Wisconsin.
  • NW will always be "tough" under Fitz
  • Purdue is one of those sneaky teams (good HC)
  • Illinois will be improved. It has talent on the roster - not sure what the turnover will be with a new HC. I think Brett B is a good hire
  • Nebby - well ... it's Nebby ...I think Frost is showing he is not the home run hire Husker fans wanted to believe in. Frost has had enough time in Nebby to shore things up - and he hasn't. Bad defense and suspect offense
  • Fleck is getting some good recruits. I sort of see them like a Purdue - competitive most times but not a regular as a Big 10 West potential champ
Overall, the Big 10 West is a "good" division but not exceptional. Iowa will most likely continue to sit in that 8-9 win range every year ... I think the Hawks are recruiting at a better level, and I really like the coaching staff (knowing we just lost two good assistants) ...

But that's what you want to see ... good coaches who may be up and comers and have good minds.

Even with the loss of AJ, Banwart and Kallenberger I really like this OL group. An AA at center and Plumb should step right in at LT. I think it will be deeper too. I'm also thinking this WR group will be more athletic than 2020.
Agree ... At this point, I rarely have too much concern about the OL ... We have good guys in the system who are learning every day and when their time comes they slide them onto the field. I think we have a great room of OL ... especially with this latest class ... We should be set for quite a few years on the OL front ...

I think that really underperforming group in 2019 has left a cautious and bitter taste in everyone's mouth. Everyone expected a dominant line but they did so poorly against the top of the conference opponents that season. Still finished with ten wins but a big unexpected failure to meet expectations. That kind of flop tends to have a longer shelf life than its real lifespan. Back to putting a good line on the field in 2020 and they again could be really really good next season.

I think it is a toss up as usual and could just come down to who has the easiest schedule. Iowa, Wisconsin, and Northwestern are the ones to watch.
So we have to win these two games for sure or lose the tie breaker..

I just hope the Hawks come out playing well early, without our "warmup" games. We can not start slow.
Iowa was predicted to not be good last year. At the end of the year Iowa had a team that could play with anybody
but Alabama if we had a good quarterback. Unfortunetly, the surprise players such as Nixon are gone,
don't expect we will be that good next year. The one thing we have is we have one of the best special teams in the country and will be as good this year except will miss Duncan. Special teams are about a good punter, moral and effort as well as technique and have been excellent since Levar Woods took over. Phil Parker teaches the right angle to tackle and don't know how he teaches this Iowa does it s good as anybody.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
Iowa was predicted to not be good last year. At the end of the year Iowa had a team that could play with anybody
but Alabama if we had a good quarterback. Unfortunetly, the surprise players such as Nixon are gone,
don't expect we will be that good next year. The one thing we have is we have one of the best special teams in the country and will be as good this year except will miss Duncan. Special teams are about a good punter, moral and effort as well as technique and have been excellent since Levar Woods took over. Phil Parker teaches the right angle to tackle and don't know how he teaches this Iowa does it s good as anybody.
Call me crazy but I'm pretty sure the talk was that Iowa was returning the most offensive weapons of KFs tenure prior to last year. The talk was "if petras is decent we should win the west" if memory serves.

Preseason predictions ain't worth a damn thing. They are like natty titles from the 1990s or natty titles from D3 Mt Union something in Ohio. Squat.

Bert is gonna have his boys bulked up and Illinois is the surprise team in the West.

If he stays, I think this will be true eventually. The state of Illinois has double the population of Wisconsin. He will be able to get big guys on his offensive line and then offensive skill position players from Chicago and St. Louis. Just continually playing smash mouth football.

Depending on the staff he puts together he may end up building a solid defense which should give him a good shot in the West and finally consistency for the Illini.

• Haha
Reactions: badger-007
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT