ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 16/17 Season

Excerpts from Coach Bluder's opening statement at the press conference:

Coming into here I was kind of thinking about our team this year, and when I think about our team, you would think with four starters returning, that we would have a really veteran team. But the strange thing is is when you look at our team, we're still pretty darn young. We have a lot of youth on this team. But the good thing is, and the difference from this year, is that that youth has some really good playing experience, and I think that's going to reap us benefits this year.

But even with all this youth, I really feel that we are the deepest that we've been in a long time. I think we're the most balanced that we've been in a long, long time. And you look at places that we can look for contribution, I think there's a number of sources. Alexa Kastanek, Hannah Stewart, Christina Buttenham, I think all of them have the opportunity to contribute for us this year.

Response to question about the possibility of one of the freshmen starting.

There could be. There could be a freshman in our starting lineup.

When I saw Coach speak to a group, she hinted at the realistic possibility of 2 freshman starting. Ally, Megan and Tania were the three she said would definitely start. Chase will come off the bench.

From what I can tell from what I've heard it's 2 freshman starting.
I'm with Oakhawk it would be surprising. But if the Freshmen earn it good for them & the team as it would indicate the talent level has been raised. If true, it could be the two guards (Makenzie Meyer & Kathleen Doyle) or one of the guards & Amanda Ollinger. I still think it will be Kathleen along with the 4 returning starters.

It will be quite an unorthodox lineup with Disterhoft, Davis, Meyer and Doyle all on the court at the same time. It's possible at some time during a game, but as a starting lineup I doubt it. I also don't think Ollinger will start instead of Coley right now.

There are so many ways they could go with the starting line-up. They could go with a bigger bunch, a three guard set, a high-low post, etc. There is depth. The defense should be better. Megan is a great rebounder, but she needs help from someone.Chase was putting up double-doubles at the end of last season and is an offensive weapon, but her defense was soft.

Don't forget, Bre is a bigger 5'10' gd that plays tough d and rebounds well. She can apply a lot of pressure and doesn't care about scoring. There are enough scorers on the floor at any given time but how many really excell at the things it takes to slow other teams down offensively?

Last edited:
“We’re putting together templates right now of how we’re going to sort out those minutes,” Bluder said. “And it might be a situation where Ally, Tania and Megan don’t get as many minutes as they were averaging last year, but I hope their minutes will be more quality minutes. I hope they’ll be fresher in the fourth quarter, I hope they’ll be fresher at the end of the season.”

I would think she was talking about their average minutes towards the end of last season.

Write up from Hawk Central from today's presser.
Four starters listed...including Chase Coley, along with Ally , Megan, and Tania. I guess the fifth will be Kathleen Doyle (she was at the podium) sharing time with Mak Meyer.

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...-start-tinkering-sundays-exhibition/93243286/

I assure you that I'm just telling it exactly like Bluder stated in the discussion I saw. She clearly stated that they wouldn't play Chase and Megan together much because they don't like or want to run a 3-2. They are planning on running a 4-1 this year.

Believe me when I say that I was completely surprised too. I thought they would run a High-low with Megan and Chase. She was also very clear in saying she thought that 2 freshman would be in the starting lineup. I don't think she would be misleading to this group of people. Most are the type the athletic department holds with much respect.

Your quote is not a quote from Coach. She stated she didn't know who the starters were going to be. It is the opinion of a sportswriter.

This is dead on...Bluder has so many weapons at her disposal now. I think running a high post is essential at times depending on match-ups, but with the attacking, aggressive mentality of what she recruited she would be a fool to not incorporate the 4-1 as her main offense. PFlush , the freshman will bring more defensive intensity so we hopefully won't see blown 20+ something leads.

We had a lot of mismatches in our favor the season we played Morgan Johnson and Bethany Doolittle together. Didn't work so well vs. Nebraska, but they had Hopper and Cady at the time. OSU also did it for a season, turned out their 2nd center was a pretty good passer from the high post. I'd hope we'd look at Coley and Gustofson together.

We had a lot of mismatches in our favor the season we played Morgan Johnson and Bethany Doolittle together. Didn't work so well vs. Nebraska, but they had Hopper and Cady at the time. OSU also did it for a season, turned out their 2nd center was a pretty good passer from the high post. I'd hope we'd look at Coley and Gustofson together.

Iowa played best last year when those two were in game. Coley from high post helped Megan be more effective. I cant imagine they will abandon that concept but i have no idea how well the incoming players are doing.

What I would really love is if Lisa would get really aggressive with the defense. The depth and quality of the guards should allow them to press and trap full court. I think that would lead to easy baskets and wear out the opponents. Plus, really pressuring the guards of the other teams would make it harder to feed the post and limit their time to set up a play.

Pressing might make it difficult for those at the back of the press to avoid fouls. Our depth at the big positions is probably our biggest potential problem.

I assure you that I'm just telling it exactly like Bluder stated in the discussion I saw. She clearly stated that they wouldn't play Chase and Megan together much because they don't like or want to run a 3-2. They are planning on running a 4-1 this year.

Believe me when I say that I was completely surprised too. I thought they would run a High-low with Megan and Chase. She was also very clear in saying she thought that 2 freshman would be in the starting lineup. I don't think she would be misleading to this group of people. Most are the type the athletic department holds with much respect.

Your quote is not a quote from Coach. She stated she didn't know who the starters were going to be. It is the opinion of a sportswriter.

Success of a 4-1 will depend on how well positions 2 through rebound. We were not a good rebounding team last year and if the freshman don't provide a couple naturally instinctive rebounders- i.e. those that get after the ball as much as look to block out - we will get one shot per offensive trip and give up a couple shots per defensive possession.

Megan is a good positional rebounder, Ally a good open space rebounder, but most of the rest from last year don't follow and attack the ball off the rim and get caught running to the 3 point line to box out their player with their back to play while the ball gets rebounded behind them.

Hope the aggressiveness the freshman are showing extends to rebounding

Counting down the top 25 women's basketball players for 2016

25. Katelynn Flaherty, Michigan, G, 5-7, jr.
2015-16:
22.1 PPG, 2.4 APG, 44.9 FG%

21. Jordin Canada, UCLA, G, 5-6, jr.
2015-16:
16.1 PPG, 5.7 APG, 40.6 FG%

20. Nia Coffey, Northwestern, F, 6-1, senior
2015-16: 20.3 PPG, 9.8 RPG, 43.2 FG%

16. Brionna Jones, Maryland, C, 6-3, senior
2015-16: 15.2 PPG, 9.8 RPG, 66.5 FG%

10. Lindsay Allen, Notre Dame, G, 5-8, senior

2015-16: 9.3 PPG, 5.8 APG, 49.8 FG%

4. Shatori Walker-Kimbrough, Maryland, G, 5-11, senior
2015-16: 19.5 PPG, 6.0 RPG, 54.3 FG%

3. Kelsey Mitchell, Ohio State, G, 5-8, junior
2015-16: 26.1 PPG, 3.4 APG, 45.2 FG%

2. Brianna Turner, Notre Dame, F, 6-3, junior
2015-16: 14.6 PPG, 7.3 RPG, 59.3 FG%

Last edited:
Counting down the top 25 women's basketball players for 2016

25. Katelynn Flaherty, Michigan, G, 5-7, jr.
2015-16:
22.1 PPG, 2.4 APG, 44.9 FG%

21. Jordin Canada, UCLA, G, 5-6, jr.
2015-16:
16.1 PPG, 5.7 APG, 40.6 FG%

20. Nia Coffey, Northwestern, F, 6-1, senior
2015-16: 20.3 PPG, 9.8 RPG, 43.2 FG%

16. Brionna Jones, Maryland, C, 6-3, senior
2015-16: 15.2 PPG, 9.8 RPG, 66.5 FG%

10. Lindsay Allen, Notre Dame, G, 5-8, senior

2015-16: 9.3 PPG, 5.8 APG, 49.8 FG%

4. Shatori Walker-Kimbrough, Maryland, G, 5-11, senior
2015-16: 19.5 PPG, 6.0 RPG, 54.3 FG%

3. Kelsey Mitchell, Ohio State, G, 5-8, junior
2015-16: 26.1 PPG, 3.4 APG, 45.2 FG%

2. Brianna Turner, Notre Dame, F, 6-3, junior
2015-16: 14.6 PPG, 7.3 RPG, 59.3 FG%

Coach Bluder had this to say about this season's non-conference schedule at her B1G media press conference.

"We'll be playing Notre Dame in Carver in the Big Ten- ACC Challenge. We'll be hosting Iowa State. We'll be hosting UNI. We'll be traveling to play at Drake and in the Cancun tournament we'll be playing UCLA and James Madison... It's going to be an entertaining year, for sure..."

Iowa will also face some other quality opponents in their non-conference schedule. In addition to Drake, South Dakota State has received votes in the preseason polls and has a first round Montana to beat in order to set up a possible showdown in the final against Iowa. (Iowa faces an unknown UMass in their semifinal match.)

Last edited:
Following on gametracker, looks like a couple of last season's bugaboos are still with us - turnovers and poor 3-point shooting.

It's should always be about knowing your role and playing to that so I agree about fitting parts together.

Back from the game. they did go with the 4-1, which didn't work well. Neither Cera or Doyle scored a single point in the game. Bre got posted up and Kathleen got in foul trouble with two quick ones. Mak Meyer then ran with the first five (they played two platoons of five players. the starers were Gustafson, Disterhoft, Davis, Doyle and Cera. The second five were Coley, Buttenham, Kastanek, Meyer and Ollinger).Meyer had the best FR game with 7 points but she did have 5 TOs.
The FR combined to shoot 4-21, with Mak hitting 3 of the 4 (including a 3ptr). IOowa shot 3-18 from 3pt as a team.
They started very slowly. Only 10 points in the first 10 minutes. They had 18 of their 23 TOs in the first half.
They did much better in the last two quarters. Only 5 TO, they got out and ran, and passed the ball better.
Megan was her usual great self, 16 points (8-9 shooting) and 11 rebounds, 3 blocks. Ally also did well with 15 points. Tania started slowly, with some bad passes, but she really picked up as the game went on. She finished with 9 points and 10 assists. Chase and Amanda both had 8 rebounds. The refs allowed a lot of uncalled hacking, so Iowa only got to shoot 2 FT all game.
The defense was good for the most part. They held Lewis to 35 points and won the rebounding battle, 54 to 24. The 23 TOs were way too many. Hopefully the 5 in the second half becomes more of what they give.
They did play Chase and Megan together in the second half. The interior defense got a lot better with them as a tandem.
61-35 final. 24-16 at the half.
I liked Hannah Stewart's minutes off the bench. She played well in the interior defensively, and moved well on offense. Alexis Sevillian was the other bench player. She was wearing a face mask. Hailey Schneden got a basket at the end, which brought the bench to their feet, cheering for her.

A couple of side notes...
Carly didn't play. Still recovering from the clean up of the scar tissue.
The new scoreboard(s) are great, but how about getting someone to run them? Nobody did for this game or the men's game Friday. Also get rid of putting one team's stats in gold, they should both be white on black. The black on gold is impossible to see.
Got the Bluder's Bunch Tees. but the set up was bad. Two people handing them out for a line two hundred feet long. They should have had 2 tables, 4 people, and lines going both directions. We stood in line for 40 minutes.

Was able to watch the game & the 4-1 Offense struggled, things loosened up a bit in the 3rd/4th quarters due to stronger rebounding leading to transition opportunities. Late in the game we finally saw Gustafson/Coley share the floor with only one of the Freshman in the lineup (Meyer) & things looked much better. We didn't get to see much out of Doyle due to foul trouble but the Freshman are as advertised as they are aggressive on both ends of the court & don't back down.

Kind of what you expect for the first game especially for the freshmen. They missed too many bunnies and threw too many passes over the head of the other player and a few times waaaaay over their head. I wonder what happened to Alexa kastanek's 3 pt shot. She started off great last year and then it went away and she was ofer today. Gustafson looks quicker and a little more athletic to me. Ally is still the best player on this team.

Reactions: SLarew
Lewis had one 6-foot player. Megan probably felt like she was back in high school. Hard to tell about the freshmen. The platoon system didn't work for anyone. Hope it was only for the exhibition game. Having Chase backup Megan makes no sense to me. That kid is a player and should start.

I didn't get to watch the second half. From what I saw in the first half, I agree with oakhawk that Stewart played well off the bench, so did Ollinger. Both rebounded well, which was great to see.

The Flyers return 2016 GLVC Freshman of the Year Jessica Kelliher. The 2016 D2CCA All-Region selection averaged 18.3 points and 6.1 rebounds in her freshman campaign. she was the girl listed as 6'. I thought she looked taller, as least she played bigger. They also had a two-time 1st team all-conference player and a transfer from Bradley. A Top 20 Div.II school. Well coached.
The FR could have had better scoring. A bunch of shots were just off. Lay-ups just off due to contact. They will do better as they adjust. The regular season opener next Friday (6pm) will give us a lot more data. Could be first game jitters. Could be hesitation. A whole different group could step up.
Ally, Megan, and Tania are experienced and solid. I think Chase is also. Beyond them, there are five FR, two SO, one JR and two SR. A young team. There will be growing pains, but a lot of upside.

Lewis averaged 70 pts a game last season, granted division 2, but to keep them at 35 pts I think shows a defensive improvement that was sorely needed. Plus, their all American gd was only 5 for 14 because of the defense they can now play with those freshman.

If they can keep up the defense, and then get the short shots they missed to fall, they will be fine.

Oak, do you think the platoon was just for the exhibition or is Lisa seriously considering it?

She said she wasn't sure if she will continue using it. My guess is they might try it again to see how it goes. But it looks like it is just a way to get all the players in for some good minutes. As the season progresses I expect we will see a starting line-up emerge, and a more normal substitution pattern.
With a deep bench the main problem will be using all the players to the best advantage. So I expect the substitutions will be as needed for game situations.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT