ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 16/17 Season

No offense
I think it's still too early to conclude. Through the first three games, Makenzie had out-scored both Kathleen and Bre combined, even though she had played the fewest minutes. Last night could have just been an anomaly. (She only had 11 minutes.) Also, if she is playing the point, she will be with the second string and her primary role will not be to score.

Reactions: iarick
Neither is lighting it up, but I will be surprised if Meyer doesn't score more than Cera by the end of the year. Defense ma be another matter.

if you go back and watch Bre play defense against all these so called "best players" of these teams we played so far, and watched her defend them straight up it's unreal the success bre has at stopping penetration, slowing em down or making them feel uncomfortable where they miss the shot.

Her lateral quickness, ability to swivel her hips quickly and never quit attitude is what makes her so damn good defensively. She will start to score more as we move through the year, but she makes good decisions with the ball and really, minus the first game with 2-3 turnovers vs Lewis, she's maybe had 1 t.o. since then? I'd rather have more possessions than not offensively.

I think it's still too early to conclude. Through the first three games, Makenzie had out-scored both Kathleen and Bre combined, even though she had played the fewest minutes. Last night could have just been an anomaly. (She only had 11 minutes.) Also, if she is playing the point, she will be with the second string and her primary role will not be to score.
This.

I understand the discussion, but please remember the reality of the situation. Extremely small sample size, to make any long term projections. The game is still moving very fast for some of the newcomers and it will take a while (usually the non conference) to adjust. Then just when they do, Big Ten games start and the level of competition takes another jump--meaning another adjustment period. You know what you're going to get from 3-4 players right now. The rest of the team will be a work in progress for at least another month.

Reactions: BGHAWK and iarick
what is with the 3 pointer attempts? 6 the whole game??? I thought they were a 3pt team?

That looks to be a real weakness this year. Jennings (and Peschel) is gone, not sure how much Kastanek will play this year, Ally isn't taking many (or making any). Need Davis, Buttenham, and one or more frosh to step up, but may not happen. Assume Disterhoft will be more active in tight games.

It was nice to see Bre and Kathleen do some scoring. They have to take shots when they are available. Keep the opponents defense honest.
Also nice to see Hannah get some minutes and points with family and friends in attendance.

Last edited:
Buttenham has been a pretty good 3-point shooter. Disterhoft has made a fair amount of threes in her career, pretty high up somewhere on Iowa's record for career 3-pointers made, I believe. However her release is quite slow and a bit hesitant. Davis can make 3s, too. Meyer looks to be the one that makes most 3s so far among the freshmen. But definitely Iowa does not have another Jaime Printy or Melissa Dixon, which covered 7 years of great 3-point shooting for Iowa, not to mention Camille Wahlin, Kristy Smith and Wendy Audesmore before them, and Lindsey Meder and Mary Berdo even earlier.

Heck with the three-pointers, we've hardly taken/made any shots outside the paint. It's great when you can get close shots, like we have. We aren't always going to be able to consistently get inside like we have the 1st three games tho.

This.

I understand the discussion, but please remember the reality of the situation. Extremely small sample size, to make any long term projections. The game is still moving very fast for some of the newcomers and it will take a while (usually the non conference) to adjust. Then just when they do, Big Ten games start and the level of competition takes another jump--meaning another adjustment period. You know what you're going to get from 3-4 players right now. The rest of the team will be a work in progress for at least another month.

non-poster what do you think of the rotation so far with platooning? Are you hearing it will continue? I thought last night with the size advantage having Chase & Megan together would have made for a deadly high-low attack. Chase & Hannah did well together especially in the first half of the game. Out of the Freshman was impressed with Kathleen & her poise on both ends of the court while making things happen.

Just read in another post that last night's game was actually shown live on Dish Network, on an alternate sports channel. Missed that!

non-poster what do you think of the rotation so far with platooning? Are you hearing it will continue? I thought last night with the size advantage having Chase & Megan together would have made for a deadly high-low attack. Chase & Hannah did well together especially in the first half of the game. Out of the Freshman was impressed with Kathleen & her poise on both ends of the court while making things happen.
Good question Jokos. As someone who's walked more than a mile in a coach's shoes, I understand and respect the idea of putting your best athletes on the floor. At the same time, it depends what type of team you want to be.

Most of Coach Bluder's teams have been predicated on good to great point guard play and strong shooting at the off-guard and small forward. This year she has arguably the most depth she has had since the early days of her taking over the program. Especially when Mohns returns.

The issue of some rather sloppy defense and rebounding "could" be improved this year if she chooses to go with a bigger/stronger lineup against teams that have traditionally given them trouble due to deep front-courts--Maryland, Ohio State, etc. Granted, simply putting bigger bodies on the court doesn't guarantee success. There have been some fundamental flaws in technique (boxing out, digging down to help, switching on screens) in many of Iowa's past teams that were covered up by simply outscoring the opponent.

The habit (many coaches I have talked to call it a problem) is that Coach Bluder too often pares down her rotation once they get into the Big Ten season. Many times that has led to the lack of development on the bench and those players sometimes can fall behind if they are mainly running scout team in practice and not getting any minutes in actual games.

While it is still very early in the season, I don't think there isn't any reason of rotation of 9 players couldn't be productive this year. We'll have to wait and see how some of the Freshman continue to develop.

But definitely Iowa does not have another Jaime Printy or Melissa Dixon, which covered 7 years of great 3-point shooting for Iowa, not to mention Camille Wahlin, Kristy Smith and Wendy Audesmore before them, and Lindsey Meder and Mary Berdo even earlier.
I am on my phone so I cannot easily look it up, but I cannot fairly compare the first three games of freshman shooters with our memories of seniors. Could someone pull up the performance of our past great shooters as freshmen?

I'm not sure if Dixon and Printy are consider some of the best but here's their percentages from 3 based on old stats.

Dixon shot 40% her sophomore year, 35% Junior year and 45% her senior year from the arc.

Printy shoot 39% frosh, 38% soph, 29% junior and senior year.

Iowa women will need to shoot more 3's as season progresses. 8 in game 1, 13 in game 2, 6 in game 3. 6 must be nearly a record low??

Reactions: conn53victor
From the Oral Roberts game.....
Alexis Sevillian was on the bench in street clothes. She had played the exhibition game in a face mask after being hit in the face. I wonder if she was going through concussion protocol, or just held out because she wasn't comfortable. I haven't heard anything about a RS.
Oral Roberts got the 29 points in the 3rd due to a couple factors. A let up in Iowa's defensive intensity, the officials calling a bunch of touch fouls on the Hawks to have mercy on ORU, and ORU shooting better.
The alarms were extremely annoying. I never left my seat because they wouldn't let anyone use the elevator and the aisle were jammed on the stairs. They waved the players and the band back, so i could tell it was a false alarm. Then the alarm went off two more times and everyone ignored it. A kitchen fire isn't an arena emptying event.
Ally Disterhoft set a new career high in points with 29. Megan had 25. for the two games they are both shooting incredibly well. Tania is also playing very well. The FR stoll need to settle down on the offensive end. They are getting to the rim , then missing the lay-in.
Mak Meyer started, with Kathleen Doyle switching to the 2nd five. Kathleen is still finding what will work in college basketball. Bre and Amanda both had chances to score but missed the easy basket. You can't fault the effort of any of the FR. They play hard.
The rebounding was good again. For the second time they won the rebounding battle by around 20. Turnovers were cut in half. 23 the first game, only 13 this game.
Kathleen and Tania both had some nice passes last night.
Lisa used the [;platoon system again last night. first five were Megan, Ally, Tania, Mak and Bre. Second five were Chase, Kathleen, Alexa, Hannah, and Christina (with Hannah replacing Amanda). Hannah has been doing well, especially on the defensive end. Lisa said expect the platoon again on Sunday.
I saw progress from the exhibition. The defense was still good (for the most part) and the offense was sharper. Looking forward to Hampton.
I will say it again. please use full or last names. we get it, some of you are on first name basis with them, we arent. its annoying to read because most casual fans dont follow close enough to easily know first names.

I would really think that you guys would want more people following women's basketball.

I will say it again. please use full or last names. we get it, some of you are on first name basis with them, we arent. its annoying to read because most casual fans dont follow close enough to easily know first names.

I would really think that you guys would want more people following women's basketball.

JFC...if you're interested, take a little initiative and learn the roster. I'm a casual fan and don't know any of the them personally, but I have no difficulty in following along.Here: http://www.hawkeyesports.com/roster.aspx?path=wbball Keep this link handy and refer to it when you're confused.

Sevillian to redshirt this season:
Bluder: "I felt like I'd be wasting her freshman year if I didn't redshirt her, because she is a talent." Was hard to find minutes for her.

Sevillian to redshirt this season:
Bluder: "I felt like I'd be wasting her freshman year if I didn't redshirt her, because she is a talent." Was hard to find minutes for her.
I can't remember another player under Coach Bluder that was redshirted due to other than medical reasons. A sign of finally having more than enough players?

Reactions: LinusPF
Bluder announced Friday that Alexis Sevillian, a 5-foot-6 guard from Goodrich, Mich., will red-shirt this season. The decision is not related to an injury, but rather the Hawkeyes depth.

“We’ve never done that, but this is such a big (freshman) class, and with just one freshman (Jinaya Houston) coming in next year, I think this makes sense,” Bluder said. “This was 100 percent (Sevillian’s) decision. We felt that we would be wasting her freshman year if we didn’t redshirt her.”

Cera was a surprise starter for Iowa. But any shock factor vanished abruptly as soon as people saw the 5-foot-10 freshman from Mukwonago, Wis., defend.

Rapid feet. Active hands. A guard's speed and a forward's length. A matchup nightmare.

“She sets the bar, in my opinion, for energy for our basketball team,” Bluder said. “And she rebounds, she crashes, she’s willing to do the dirty work, and I like having someone like that in our lineup.”

“Bre is 100 percent going all of the time,” added Megan Gustafson, who said she sees a lot of herself in Cera and Amanda Ollinger. “She is (nasty).”

She can shoot, too — apparently. We haven’t seen her take many tries as a Hawkeye; she has nine shots through three games and 72 minutes. But this is a girl who became her high school program’s leading scorer as a junior.
Also, it was announced that Saturday's game will start at 10:30 am insteadof 12:30.

Bluder announced Friday that Alexis Sevillian, a 5-foot-6 guard from Goodrich, Mich., will red-shirt this season. The decision is not related to an injury, but rather the Hawkeyes depth.

“We’ve never done that, but this is such a big (freshman) class, and with just one freshman (Jinaya Houston) coming in next year, I think this makes sense,” Bluder said. “This was 100 percent (Sevillian’s) decision. We felt that we would be wasting her freshman year if we didn’t redshirt her.”
Takeaways: Iowa guard Alexis Sevillian will redshirt freshman

Last edited:
So there is no hope of any broadcast for Saturday's game except to pay for Hawkeye All Access (no radio due to the football game)? I have already paid for BTN+ and don't want to pay again.

Cera was a surprise starter for Iowa. But any shock factor vanished abruptly as soon as people saw the 5-foot-10 freshman from Mukwonago, Wis., defend.

Rapid feet. Active hands. A guard's speed and a forward's length. A matchup nightmare.

“She sets the bar, in my opinion, for energy for our basketball team,” Bluder said. “And she rebounds, she crashes, she’s willing to do the dirty work, and I like having someone like that in our lineup.”

“Bre is 100 percent going all of the time,” added Megan Gustafson, who said she sees a lot of herself in Cera and Amanda Ollinger. “She is (nasty).”

She can shoot, too — apparently. We haven’t seen her take many tries as a Hawkeye; she has nine shots through three games and 72 minutes. But this is a girl who became her high school program’s leading scorer as a junior.

Also, it was announced that Saturday's game will start at 10:30 am instead of 12:30.
Defense? Check. Offense?

Bluder said to expect more of an offensive impact from Cera soon.

“She just really didn't look for her shot the first couple games,” Bluder said. “Part of that was my fault, I guess, conveying to her that I did want her to shoot the ball and not just play defense and rebound. She can shoot the ball. I’m confident in that. She just maybe didn't realize we wanted her to do that, and now we’ve kind of gotten that straightened out.”

Iowa won their 4th today 71-30. Not much of a contest, it could have been even more lopsided. The refs put the whistles away and Iowa only got to the line 5 times.
Four players in double figures, led by Alexa Kastanek;s 17. Megan Gustafson added 13, Ally Disterhoft and Hannah Stewart added 10. Ally didn't score in first half (only took 2 shots) . Iowa led 39-10 at that point. All the players got minutes. They alternated good quarter/bad quarterwith the 1st and 3rd being the good. Still need to cut down the TOs.
Alexa's game was a throwback to how she played at the beginning of last season. she was 5-10 on 3s.
Hannah continues her streak of good games. Nobody had more than 24 minutes. Megan had 8 rebounds, ally 7, and Amanda Ollinger had 5 in 11 minutes.
South Dakota State also won big, by 41 over Montana. Shouldbe a tough one tomorrow at 2pm.

Another thing I should mention...
The coaches and team were thankful that the crowd showed up with the time change and the football game on as well. After the game they went into the stands and personally thanked everyone for coming. We got Carly and Mak Meyer. Carly should be back practicing in December and hopes to see the court before Christmas. After her thank you, she RAN across the court and down the tunnel. Encouraging.

SDSU with the W, Hawks got down early, several 13 pt deficits. Finally tied with 0:05 left but SDSU scored at the buzzer. Once again, turnovers and chilly perimeter shooting were issues.

It's time for Lisa to scrap that platoon subs, and play her best 4 or 5 or 6 players 30-35 minutes. It cost her today.

It's time for Lisa to scrap that platoon subs, and play her best 4 or 5 or 6 players 30-35 minutes. It cost her today.
BGHAWK I tend to agree with you on doing away with the platoon system. Once she finally broke the platoon using her best options in the 4th quarter the team found a rhythm, played better, & made a heck of a comeback. She has a solid top 9 she could build a rotation around managing minutes so her top players are still around 28-32 minutes & have fresh legs come the 4th quarter while still utilizing the depth.

Didn't see this coming the loss today. Is SDSU good?

SDSU is a veteran team that almost upset #4 seed Stanford in the second round of the NCAA tournament last year. They are among other teams receiving votes in the Top 25 now. They were a stiff test for a young Hawkeye squad still making lots of mistakes. I give Lisa Bluder credit for scheduling a tough opponent every year in the Hawkeye Challenge instead of guaranteeing a championship. The coaching staff will have lots of teaching material now.

Reactions: cyberhawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT