ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 16/17 Season

To be fair, there have been a lot of up-and-down teams this season, look no farther than the Iowa and UNI men. Drake men at one time looked like they might go 0 for the season, but just scored 102 points and won their first conference game. Also, ISU & Drake WBB have had trouble winning away from home.
It wasn't all Iowa playing bad either. I was surprised how well Illinois played given their 200s RPI and general state of their program.

It happens this is a very young team only starts 1 upperclassman. It is hard to win on the road, harder for youth. We are not Kentucky or the Fab 5. The women and the men have the same problem too many young players talented but not quite ready when the bullets are flying

You realize you are just showing your ignorance don't you?
He (or she) almost certainly doesn't know and wouldn't care anyway. They also clearly have a personal grudge and, as was suggested, are either a parent of a player or possibly even a disgruntled former player them self.

Something else they most likely don't know is that holding a grudge and being angry and bitter, is harmful to their social and psychological well being. He (or she) would do well to follow this advice. Let go of the past (whatever is holding you hostage) and forgive. Move on to the present and look forward to the future with a positive attitude. I know this from personal experience.

Lots of missed FTs but still held on to win by 3. Doyle Davis and Coley all missed two
Only watched last quarter so can't comment on rest of game

I read on Twitter that Iowa led 73 to 62 with over 3 minutes to go, and then the final 75 to 72. What happened? Of course 73 points was actually enough to win the game:)

At 73-62 we started milking the clock and totally killed our momentum, plus FT shooting was abysmal. I thought we were lucky to avoid OT. Coach Jensen said after the game she thought "the ghost of the Illinois game was still with us" in terms of still not playing with confidence, to which I would add the ghosts of all the games we were leading and then lost in the 4th Q last season. That said, I thought we played well in the first half, and also from mid 3rd Q to mid 4th Q. Davis was pushing it up court more, and overall played pretty well, as did Gustafson. We did have stretches of dumb turnovers, but that seems to be the personality of this team.

Interestingly, Cera has gone from starting to getting zero minutes this time, and only 4 against Illinois.

They turned what should have been a 15 point win into a nail-biter. Up 10, Tania looks to the bench for a play and has the ball taken away for a lay-up attempt. They foul. The Neb player misses the second. The Hawks fumble the rebound and it goes to a Husker who hits a three. So instead of getting fouled and shooting FT , they give up 4 in a matter of seconds. Then the Hawks miss 7 of 8 FT , including the last 6. Ally gets fouled on a break away but the ref is too slow to get down court to see it. Neb gets a look at a 3ptr to tie but misses
Sheesh..

Definitely some shaky nerves down the stretch, they were indeed lucky to avoid over-time as Row55 pointed out. Looks like Bluder has finally scrapped the platoon system putting her most productive players in a shortened rotation. Chase played decent off the bench today with some nice/aggressive play on the offensive end & got pushed around by Shepard defensively but at least she competed for the most part.

On another note the next opponent Penn St. lost big at Rutgers today, they were without their star guard Teniya Page - not sure if was injury related or something else.

Neb was pressing, so we threw the long pass to Disterhoft for what seemed a sure layup, was fun to watch. Had we not been having such a turnover problem for basically the last year, I think we would played a more up-tempo game against them. The Neb player at the back of the press was burned, but managed to get back and contest the shot. I couldn't tell how much contact there was, thought the ball might have left Ally's hand before the defender got there. By that time I'd left my seat and was watching from the concourse.

For someone that was at the game, please explain what happened at about the 25 second mark when Neb missed and Megan got the rebound, was knocked to the floor and I thought the ref called a foul. neb had 5 fouls and that would have been 6, which didn't matter but instead of Megan shooting two, they gave Iowa a timeout and then Iowa inbounded at half court. I missed something in that sequence.

For someone that was at the game, please explain what happened at about the 25 second mark when Neb missed and Megan got the rebound, was knocked to the floor and I thought the ref called a foul. neb had 5 fouls and that would have been 6, which didn't matter but instead of Megan shooting two, they gave Iowa a timeout and then Iowa inbounded at half court. I missed something in that sequence.
Iowa called a timeout. It was a bit confusing. On Ally's break-away layup, the Neb kid grabbed her bicep while she was shooting. Definite foul. We had a clear view of the play.

Iowa called a timeout. It was a bit confusing. On Ally's break-away layup, the Neb kid grabbed her bicep while she was shooting. Definite foul. We had a clear view of the play.

I thought they called a foul on Neb when Megan came down with the rebound and was knocked to the floor. That whole thing doesn't make sense to me. Obviously I'm wrong and there was no foul called. Crazy. As far as Ally's break away, I was pretty sure it was a foul. She gets hacked without fouls called more than anyone I can remember.

I am not a great basketball mind, so I offer numbers. I am not surprised that the majority of the minutes have gone to eight players, tho' not the ones I would have predicted. I thought Kastenek would have been 5-6 in minutes played at this point. I hoped that we would play better at home against the bottom tier of the B1G-10. I still expect to get unexpected victories and defeats and end up in the NIT from a young team.

Nice alumni band.

I am not a great basketball mind, so I offer numbers. I am not surprised that the majority of the minutes have gone to eight players, tho' not the ones I would have predicted. I thought Kastenek would have been 5-6 in minutes played at this point. I hoped that we would play better at home against the bottom tier of the B1G-10. I still expect to get unexpected victories and defeats and end up in the NIT from a young team.

Nice alumni band.

Kastanek played 1 minute? Wasn't today Kastanek bobble head day?

Kastanek played 1 minute? Wasn't today Kastanek bobble head day?

http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/2016/6/13/tickets-iowa-tickets-m-baskbl-html.aspx said:
**Bobbleheads were ordered for this season, but production was delayed. The promotional calendar will be updated as the delivery dates are confirmed. Thank you for your patience.

The bobbleheads have been delayed.
I thought Alexa might get more since she is from Nebraska .
DNP: Cera, Schneden, Ollinger, Mohns.

I thought they called a foul on Neb when Megan came down with the rebound and was knocked to the floor. That whole thing doesn't make sense to me. Obviously I'm wrong and there was no foul called. Crazy. As far as Ally's break away, I was pretty sure it was a foul. She gets hacked without fouls called more than anyone I can remember.
Megan was fouled but the outside official had granted Bluder TO just prior. The two officials had a brief conference and decided the TO came first.

Doyle is a monster!
Megan's terrific.

Everyone else is a mess.

Ally is awful. She just air-balled a three and trotted down the court back to the play while PSU dribbled right by her for a layup.

Last edited:
Doyle is a monster!
Megan's terrific.

Everyone else is a mess.

Ally is awful. She just air-balled a three and trotted down the court back to the play while PSU dribbled right by her for a layup.
Is there turmoil on the team or whats up?

4 points for Disterhoft, wow. Four players with at least 30 minutes, definitely looks like the platoon system is done. 18 tournovers from which PSU got 22 points. More chilly shooting. Looks like Cera is in the doghouse with Kastanek.

Matthew Bain's article in the Press-Citizen forecasting Iowa finishing the season with an RPI in the 30's might be a bit optimistic.

LB is driving me crazy this year.

Chase and Megan could be an amazing high-low post comination if she would play them for more than 5 minutes a game together.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Well, it's broke and this could be a way to fix it.

Doyle is a monster!
Doyle is a monster!
LB is driving me crazy this year.

Chase and Megan could be an amazing high-low post comination if she would play them for more than 5 minutes a game together.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Well, it's broke and this could be a way to fix it.
I want to agree with you, but I'm afraid Chase is turning into a lost cause. I assume LB has tried everything to motivate her, but she just seems to go back and forth between disinterest and having her head somewhere where it shouldn't be.

Last edited:
2-19 from 3pt, while Megan is shooting over 60% inside.
An eight and a half minute scoring drought. 17-0 run for PSU.

Outside of Megan, Kathleen & Tania to a degree there isn't much positive you can take from this game. The team is still young & they need better leadership on the court to help them through the rough patches. Ally is the one who needs to step up herself & hold others accountable like Sam Logic did - I think Kathleen will grow into that role eventually.

Since scrapping the platoon against Nebby I knew it would take some time to gel together & there would be some uncomfortable moments like we saw tonight. I wish Lisa would have went another route than the platoon earlier in the year in using the depth.

A couple observations.

1. Doyle is going to be a stud. Extremely athletic and heady.

2. Womens basketball referrees are absolutely horrible. Every game i have ever watched i come away disgusted at how bad they are

Reactions: hawkahawk
There might be no turmoil, but there definitely is a lack of team chemistry and coordination. The players are not looking after each other. Thus the deficiency in rebounding, defense, and the high turnover number. In one occasion one Iowa player tried all her might to bat a loose ball out of the paint to her teammates, and they ran away from the ball, only to have a Penn State player that's far away to easily pick it up. They are just not watching each others' backs to help their own teammates.

Everyone starting to agree with me. I have not even told you the whole story. Just think about the nicest kid you ever met transferring from this mess.(Jennings). It's to bad no reporter will tell the real story.

I want to agree with you, but I'm afraid Chase is turning into a lost cause. I assume LB has tried everything to motivate her, but she just seems to go back and forth between disinterest and having her head somewhere where it shouldn't be.

Its hard for a player to get into a rhythm when they play 6-8 minutes a game. Chase is a perfect high post player when the other team plays a 2-3 zone. Teams will continue to play a lot of zone against us to try and negate Megan and we can't shoot from outside right now.

What does LB have to lose at this point playing them together for an extended period of time. We lost to 2 of the lower teams in the Big Ten in IL and Penn State and scraped by an average Michigan team.

Doesn't help Ally that she has to spend too much energy defending a 4 from the other team.

Reactions: LinusPF
Its hard for a player to get into a rhythm when they play 6-8 minutes a game. Chase is a perfect high post player when the other team plays a 2-3 zone. Teams will continue to play a lot of zone against us to try and negate Megan and we can't shoot from outside right now.

What does LB have to lose at this point playing them together for an extended period of time. We lost to 2 of the lower teams in the Big Ten in IL and Penn State and scraped by an average Michigan team.

Doesn't help Ally that she has to spend too much energy defending a 4 from the other team.

Everyone is talking about Chase's potential on offense, but I presume her limited playing time is due to her weakness on defense. She would have to guard the other team's PF. Whatever the solution though, the coaches have to change something. That and solve the turnover bug. Way too many lazy perimeter passes and full court heaves thrown away.

Everyone starting to agree with me. I have not even told you the whole story. Just think about the nicest kid you ever met transferring from this mess.(Jennings). It's to bad no reporter will tell the real story.

No! And you don't know any full story or based on the few dumb posts you have made so far, if you had a full story I know that you couldn't wait to tell it.

Outside of Megan, Kathleen & Tania to a degree there isn't much positive you can take from this game. The team is still young & they need better leadership on the court to help them through the rough patches. Ally is the one who needs to step up herself & hold others accountable like Sam Logic did - I think Kathleen will grow into that role eventually.

Since scrapping the platoon against Nebby I knew it would take some time to gel together & there would be some uncomfortable moments like we saw tonight. I wish Lisa would have went another route than the platoon earlier in the year in using the depth.

I pretty much agree with everything here. And Ally is in a shooting slump right now, at least from the 3, but she will be just fine. And I don't think anyone ought to be questioning her effort, ever.

Reactions: cyberhawk
Ally seems to do fine at home, but has shot poorly on the road lately. For most of her career she has been the model of consistency.

Reactions: cyberhawk
I pretty much agree with everything here. And Ally is in a shooting slump right now, at least from the 3, but she will be just fine. And I don't think anyone ought to be questioning her effort, ever.
Her effort on defense was definitely lacking at times last night. Maybe because she picked up an early first foul or because her offense struggled, but she let PSU players breeze right by her. That said, she also had some nice blocks. Could conditioning be an issue? I noticed she looked out-of-breath and red-faced a few times. I think conditioning is an issue with a couple other players too.

Ironically, the UNI team we destroyed has won 5 straight since then. Maybe we could ask them to come back for a scrimmage to help get back into the grove we were in then.

Seriously, coach Jensen said after Saturdays game that she felt we were being too quick to jack up 3's early in the shot clock, when MG is hitting 67% from inside. I didn't see the PSU game, but wondering if it was more of the same, given 19 3-point attempts

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT