ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 16/17 Season

Ironically, the UNI team we destroyed has won 5 straight since then. Maybe we could ask them to come back for a scrimmage to help get back into the grove we were in then.

Seriously, coach Jensen said after Saturdays game that she felt we were being too quick to jack up 3's early in the shot clock, when MG is hitting 67% from inside. I didn't see the PSU game, but wondering if it was more of the same, given 19 3-point attempts

There were a few quick 3's but they were in the flow of the game. The rest of the shots came from moving the ball around the perimeter giving them fairly good looks, a few rushed due to the defense however. I felt they really looked for Megan first tonight but most of the time there was a guard helping weak side, even with that Megan still scored most of the time. Expect more doubling until our guards can make them pay with the long ball.

There were a few quick 3's but they were in the flow of the game. The rest of the shots came from moving the ball around the perimeter giving them fairly good looks, a few rushed due to the defense however. I felt they really looked for Megan first tonight but most of the time there was a guard helping weak side, even with that Megan still scored most of the time. Expect more doubling until our guards can make them pay with the long ball.

Exactly why Chase needs to play more to hit the 12-15 jump shot at the high post or have the height/vision to dump the ball down to Megan when the zone defense moves towards Chase.

People have always seemed to judge Chase's effort based on her demeanor instead of her actions. She's a happy-go-lucky kid who plays hard. Agree with those who think she should play more.

Megan scores almost exclusively from the left side of lane. Might make it easier to double-team her.

Tania does a very good job at point but I think Lisa needs to move her to off-guard and give the reins to Doyle, much like she did when Logic was a freshman.

Illinois decimated Rutgers in Champaign today 78-41 and actually led by 44 (78-34) at one point late in the game when Rutgers scored the last 7 points against the Illini's scrubs. Iowa plays Illinois Wednesday at CHA in the first rematch of Iowa's season. I believe the Illini are still winless on the road. Iowa will have had eight days off without playing a game when they meet against Illinois.

What is "^^^^^^ This^^^^^"?

Last edited:
this, I assume means he would like also to know why the T on Doyle. Me too.

this, I assume means he would like also to know why the T on Doyle. Me too.

I am guessing that is what Doyle said or something similar. Clearly ref heard profanity and gave her the tech. She didn't seem to do anything behavior wise such as gesture or taunt

Observing Kathleen's assertiveness thus far, I suspect she might have said something the refs didn't like.

I'm sure, but you don't see that very often right after an Iowa score, and wasn't it a Doyle score? I don't understand it unless the ref misunderstood something she said or thought she was taunting or something.

I'm sure, but you don't see that very often right after an Iowa score, and wasn't it a Doyle score? I don't understand it unless the ref misunderstood something she said or thought she was taunting or something.

The technical happened after Doyle blocked a shot. She probably got too excited. Maybe the Illinois player was someone she played against often in high school?

Sorry, I got confused with the opponent. Somehow I thought the last game was at Illinois. Must be New Year's hangover! But you are right, Teniya Page is from Illinois. Maybe I was right after all!

Sorry, I got confused with the opponent. Somehow I thought the last game was at Illinois. Must be New Year's hangover! But you are right, Teniya Page is from Illinois. Maybe I was right after all!

No fret on confused, I thought it was after an Iowa score. I'm old, so I do have some leeway there. :)

I was watching an NAIA game last season, and saw a player get tee'd up for saying "and one" after a foul. :)

Illinois decimated Rutgers in Champaign today 78-41 and actually led by 44 (78-34) at one point late in the game when Rutgers scored the last 7 points against the Illini's scrubs. Iowa plays Illinois Wednesday at CHA in the first rematch of Iowa's season. I believe the Illini are still winless on the road. Iowa will have had eight days off without playing a game when they meet against Illinois.

What is "^^^^^^ This^^^^^"?[/QUOTE
Agreeing with / also wanting an answer to..
The post i quoted which is directly above the "This". i have seen it done in other forums..sorry for confusion

Reactions: cyberhawk
News has just been announced that Northwestern has lost sophomore G Jordan Hankins to sudden death. No explanation has been made public. She was from Indiana and may have been a recruit that Iowa was at least interested in.

The Hawks played a much better game tonight in the rematch against Illinois. Mak Meyer got the start and hit 4-5 threes for 12 points. Megan had 20 and 15 rebounds despite double and triple teaming. Ally added 14 and 7 rebounds. Kathleen Doyle was NOT going to lose to Illinois again. She was aggressive and scored 18. Final, a twenty point win, 78-58.

Reactions: hawkahawk
What I noticed at Carver tonight against Illinois was that Doyle isn't a freshman anymore and the others in her class are fearless. They all move a lot quicker because they don't have to think as much.

Meyer had 12 points on 4/5 three-pointers. It is too early to pencil her in as the next Melissa Dixon, but here is a snapshot of Meyer and Dixon as freshmen.
  • Meyer has 18/51 (35%) three-pointers this year through 17 games with 77 total points.
  • Melissa Dixon had 35/98 (36%) three-pointers freshman year in 24 games with 162 total points but she tore her Achilles tendon and missed seven games.
Illinois sometimes found the seams in our zone better than we found penetration paths in their zone.

Reactions: LinusPF
The Hawks fought Maryland tooth and nail before somr turnovers and bad calls led to a loss. Iowa had 16 turnovers, which isn't that bad, but Maryland scored 27 points off of them. Iowa shot the ball well( 47.5 FG, 40% 3pt, 84 % FT), and scored 82 points off the #3 ranked team.
Tania had her best game of her career with 25 points, against Maryland's forward sized guards. Megan added 14.
Ally had 18. She passed Ice Edwards for 4th all time in scoring.She should pass Jaime Printy Brandt for 3rd in the next game. As an aside, Jaime was voted into the Iowa HS Hal of Fame. She will be inducted at the girls state tournament,

Iowa's 3-point shooting was on in the second quarter, thus turning a double-digit deficit into a 4-point lead into the half. But in the second half, the long range shots weren't falling, and they started to turn the ball over again. Without 3-point shooting, Iowa just could not keep up.

The Hawks fought Maryland tooth and nail before somr turnovers and bad calls led to a loss. Iowa had 16 turnovers, which isn't that bad, but Maryland scored 27 points off of them. Iowa shot the ball well( 47.5 FG, 40% 3pt, 84 % FT), and scored 82 points off the #3 ranked team.
Tania had her best game of her career with 25 points, against Maryland's forward sized guards. Megan added 14.
Ally had 18. She passed Ice Edwards for 4th all time in scoring.She should pass Jaime Printy Brandt for 3rd in the next game. As an aside, Jaime was voted into the Iowa HS Hal of Fame. She will be inducted at the girls state tournament,
5' 7" is forward size? Tania played great no matter how big the opponents were. In the first quarter, all the points were scored by the point guard (Tania and Doyle, when Tania was out) until the last 2 minutes.

The freshman class had its worst game in quite a while. Doyle and Meyer will have better days. Cera played a little; Ollinger not at all. Thought it was interesting that with an 18-point game with 2 minutes to go, neither coach took the starters out.

I hope we see more what took place in the second quarter, everything was clicking & it was fun to watch them take it to Maryland. Still like the way Doyle competed out there even though her shot wasn't falling, she had her head up & had some nice assists. Since Kastanek isn't giving the team any production I'd like to see Ollinger get a chance - from what we've seen of her she is more athletic, physical, & also can hit the 3 which is much needed. The 2-4 spots are interchangeable so it wouldn't change the rotation much if at all.

Reactions: blackett73
Coach Freese let the MD players have it at halftime and they came out with more pressure defense. It worked as turnovers piled up and Md took advantage. Doyle plays hard but, as many freshmen players do, she needs to know when to slow down rather than trying to dribble through opponets.

Shots didnt fall and had more difficulty getting ball inside to Megan.

Both Jensen and Bluder said post-game that Rutger's press is much more aggressive than Maryland's, so could be another big turnover game.

Maryland likes to play games with scores in the 80s, and Rutgers likes to play games with scores in the 40s. Several times this year Rutgers failed to reach 40 points. If Iowa can't make 3-pointers, they might not be able to reach 40 points either.

Both Jensen and Bluder said post-game that Rutger's press is much more aggressive than Maryland's, so could be another big turnover game.
What was it the announcer said about Freese saying MD would run Iowa out of their own gym. Did she really say that or was the announcer just commenting on the first quarter score?

What was it the announcer said about Freese saying MD would run Iowa out of their own gym. Did she really say that or was the announcer just commenting on the first quarter score?

I didn't hear that, sorry. Though with with Frese being a former ISU assistant under Fennelly, it could be that she and Bluder are not particularly friendly. Just speculation on my part.

Iowa won a physical game against Rutgers last night 71-59. Megan had 19 points on 7-7 from the field and 5-6 from the FT line. She will be sore today.
Mak Meyer was 4-4 with 10 points. Hannah Stewart and Chase Coley both had 8.
Tania had 15 after a very slow start. She had 6 turnovers, most early in the game.
The team had 18 turnovers. A lot of bad passes. Although some were trying to pass into Megan, and the Rutgers inside players came over her back and hacked her arms to create them. The Hawks settled down and played better as the game went along.
Bre Cera did a nice job in her 11 minutes. Kathleen Doyle had 5 assists and only 1 TO, and she played good defense.
Iowa shot 62% from the field, but just 2-10 from 3pt. To their credit they only took two 3pt attempts in the last two quarters after going 2-8 before half. Rutgers had the same number of FG (25) but took an astounding 32 more shots!
Good to get a road win.

Reactions: hawkahawk
What is Lisa's record now against Vivian?

I'm too lazy to look it up but it may be 4-3. I thought I heard the announcer say Iowa had won 3 in a row before last night's game and that Rutgers had won 3 prior to that. Anyway regarding Rutgers' 32 more shots, they had an unreal 23 offensive rebounds. To Iowa's credit they shot well. As a side note, I thought the Rutgers announcers did a nice job. They were for Rutgers as they should be, but they were very fair. I forget what team Iowa was playing a year or two ago, and their announcers made every shot they made sound like it was a game winner. lol

Buttenham and Kastanek played very few minutes against Rutgers. Coach Bluder must have been very unhappy with Buttenham keeping making unforced turnovers and Kastanek shooting and missing 3-pointers in previous games.

Buttenham and Kastanek played very few minutes against Rutgers. Coach Bluder must have been very unhappy with Buttenham keeping making unforced turnovers and Kastanek shooting and missing 3-pointers in previous games.

I would say Meyer has firmly surpassed Buttenham in the rotation now. She brings the 3-point shooting they desperately needed. Buttenham brings a good floor game, but her shooting is inconsistent. Coley seems to be earning more minutes too. And Kastanek is unfortunately a senior who has never lived up to her potential. If her shot is not on, her lack of speed hurts against most teams.

Reactions: brfhilltop
Lisa is 4-2 against C. Viv. Rutgers won the first two. Iowa then beat Rutgers in the NCAA tournament and has won all three B1G games.
Also, the win was Lisa's 691st , moving her to #30 all time in WBB history.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyberhawk
I feel bad for Alexa. She did so much better her first two years, but she has lost her 3pt shot for some reason. I hope she gets it back. She was in last night, threw a bad pass, and that was it.

Alexa also got beaten off the dribble, ran into another defender, and caused a layup for Rutgers. She doesn't have the foot speed to defend. When she is on with her 3pt shot she contributes. When she isn't , she is a liability. She had her ankle/foot injuries and got out of shape. Then never got back into shape. It is too bad. When she was healthy she would take people of the dribble and go hard to the hoop. Now she settles for threes. She is a good teammate though, kind of the mother hen to the younger players.

As a side note, I thought the Rutgers announcers did a nice job. They were for Rutgers as they should be, but they were very fair. I forget what team Iowa was playing a year or two ago, and their announcers made every shot they made sound like it was a game winner. lol
That female announcer's nice Jersey accent, felt like a character straight out of a Woody Allen movie. I felt so close to the Big Apple while listening to their announcers:)

By the way, I noticed that Disterhoft's free throw shooting has improved drastically. That's more like it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT