ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 16/17 Season

It's difficult to understand what Bluder wants. She says she wants balanced scoring, but wants Megan shooting more than 10 shots a game. She wants Megan to be the focal point because otherwise "we come very, very predictable". Isn't having a single person being the focal point predictable?
http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/hawks-non-conference-chapter-ends-tuesday-vs-kent-state-20161219?bt_alias=eyJ1c2VySWQiOiAiM2RkNmI3OWYtYWY5MS00MGY1LWI5ZDQtZjAxNTcwOTViMGQxIn0=&utm_campaign=20160614&utm_source=boomtrain&utm_medium=email

It is a little confusing, but she still wants team basketball. With the "4-1" offense they run she wants it to flow through Megan allowing her to kick out to open shooters or find cutters through the lane. For it to work those shooters have to become more consistent like they were in the UNI/Iowa St. games.

Also, Ollinger played 12 minutes, while Carly Mohns finally played and scored. And Bre Cera made a 3-pointer.

Makenzie hit 4 threes. Kathleen had 6 assists and no turnovers.
Christina had 5 points and 6 rebounds.
I was very happy to see Carly on the court. She got a nice hand from the crowd when she came in. She was very active and vocal, moving quickly with no hesitation or restriction. Looked like her old healthy self.
The Hawks fell behind 11-2 right off the bat, and it was starting to look like the drake game. Then they went on a 38-4 run.

I was really impressed with how Kathleen Doyle handled the ball tonight when she was pushing or facilitating the offense. She pushed it well, made great decisions, & just looked more comfortable with the ball in her hands.

A couple things. Running the offense through Gustafson won't work at this point because she's not a natural passer. It's good to get it to her often because she's a scorer. Doyle and Meyer seem to be developing a Logic-Dixon chemistry. Doyle does the setting up and Mac drains them. The big problem is that they rarely play together. My third rant is about how Chase is being amazingly misused.

Reactions: 91hawki and LinusPF
Certainly Megan is not getting many assists but I'm not sure that means she is not a natural passer. It's just the fact that she is shooting something like 67% which is extremely efficient. That is 1.34 points per shot attempt. That is also not taking into consideration 'and ones'. So of course her role is to attempt the the shot whenever possible.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, Ally is one of top players in the nation in this points/shot attempt statistic. It only makes sense in order to maximize points per game that the players with the highest P/SA take the most shots. In theory, assuming that the law of diminishing marginal returns applies, the best shooters would continue to shoot more shots until their P/SA declined to the team average. Also, since all players are complementary to each other, the players who are less efficient shooters would get better (higher percentage) shots and their points per attempt would, in theory, rise. I think what happened in the Iowa State game is a good example. Defenses focus on Ally and Megan which leaves others more open to shoot. I absolutely agree that Iowa's game plan should be to force teams to stop Megan (mainly by trying to deny the entry pass) and thereby leaving others open to shoot uncontested 'threes'. So all players must be a threat to score and must do so when left open. Finally, theory is one thing, but in practice the players must all recognize it and be willing to share the scoring load.

Last edited:
Makenzie hit 4 threes. Kathleen had 6 assists and no turnovers.
Christina had 5 points and 6 rebounds.
I was very happy to see Carly on the court. She got a nice hand from the crowd when she came in. She was very active and vocal, moving quickly with no hesitation or restriction. Looked like her old healthy self.
The Hawks fell behind 11-2 right off the bat, and it was starting to look like the drake game. Then they went on a 38-4 run.
Did you see the way the bench celebrated when Carly made her free throw? You can really see that her teammates are happy for her. I really believe she can be a significant factor in the B1G (especially down the stretch) and in the postseason.

Makenzie's 12 points, Kathleen's 6 assists and Christina's 6 rebounds were all career highs!

This team should not have lost to SDSU or Drake period. That is on the coaching staff. This team has 8 four star recruits and 1 five star recruit. That's 9 ESPN Top 100 recruits on the roster. I realize 3 of them are freshman. Can you imagine if Fran had this much raw talent on his team? Wow.

That is a bold statement and one that I believe is hard to defend on just the basis of ESPN stars. First, everyone knows that there is more to a winning team than the number of arbitrary 'stars' the players have. Certainly individual talent is important but basketball is a team sport where the best teams are better than the sum of their parts. That is factor sometimes referred to as synergy and is a result of team 'chemistry'. The thing about chemistry is that it takes time to build. Besides the fact that both SDSU and Drake have stars of their own (which you did not mention and which would be relevant to your case), and even assuming they are less than Iowa, they both had teams with a combined returning total career playing time that was double that of Iowa when the season began. That is, in other words, they were much more veteran oriented teams to start with. You cannot discount that. ESPNW had SDSU #25 preseason and Drake was receiving votes. That should tell you more than the number of stars they have. SDSU was ranked the preseason #1 mid major in the nation.

1. South Dakota State
2015-16 record: 27-7; lost in NCAA tournament second round

South Dakota State was about a minute away from the Sweet 16 a season ago. After upsetting Miami in the opening round of the NCAA tournament, the Jackrabbits led Stanford by four with 86 seconds to play in the round of 32. The win slipped away, but the message was delivered: South Dakota State is a perennial Summit League powerhouse. And now the Jackrabbits -- No. 25 in espnW's preseason top 25 rankings -- return players who were responsible for 86 percent of the minutes in that game against Stanford. The Jackrabbits' schedule this season includes trips to Oklahoma and Louisville and a mid-major clash against Green Bay.

Name to know: Macy Miller. South Dakota State sticks around year after year because it's never built around one player, but Miller is a heck of a cornerstone. Her elegant offensive game would work at any level.

Drake was the preseason favorite in the MVC and also that game was played on Drake's home court. (There may have been some other extenuating circumstances as well.) As far as the coaching, Aaron Johnson has been at SDSU as long as Lisa has has been at Iowa, so he is no slouch himself. I think Jenny will prove to be a very successful coach in her own right.

There is no shame in losing to these two teams. Sure I was hoping they could win those two games and sure I was disappointed, but as a fan only, I never put my expectations above that of the players or coaches. I just have hope and faith and that is enough for me. If as a fan you put expectations above hope and faith, you will just end up angry when they lose and I am not about to be like that.

One more thing. There just is no telling what Fran would do IF, as you say, 'he had this much raw talent on his team'. IF horses were wishes, beggars would ride, but of course horses are not wishes, so it is pointless to even consider not to mention argue.

Thank you for reading this rant.

Reactions: SynergyHawk12
A couple things. Running the offense through Gustafson won't work at this point because she's not a natural passer. It's good to get it to her often because she's a scorer. Doyle and Meyer seem to be developing a Logic-Dixon chemistry. Doyle does the setting up and Mac drains them. The big problem is that they rarely play together. My third rant is about how Chase is being amazingly misused.

I agree on the Chase comment. Just don't get why LB doesn't play Chase at the 4 with Megan for extended minutes.

Chase is a good high post passer and has a nice mid range game.

Play the high-low post with those 2 on the court at the same time. It would also improve Rebounding and defense

I agree on the Chase comment. Just don't get why LB doesn't play Chase at the 4 with Megan for extended minutes.

Chase is a good high post passer and has a nice mid range game.

Play the high-low post with those 2 on the court at the same time. It would also improve Rebounding and defense

I think we'll see a bigger line up out of necessity at times during the BIG schedule. It may not be Chase Coley getting those minutes once Carly Mohns gets back into the flow of things. Chase needs to learn to play hard all the time at both ends of the floor, focus, & become more consistent as she has a nice shot with range. I completely agree she doesn't look comfortable at the top of the trapping defense they use a lot when she is in, the staff needs to recognize that & make the adjustment - this is where Carly Mohns is a better fit.

Looks like they are still on break. :( Frustrating how lost they look against a zone defense. They either force the middle where the defense has collapsed, or they shoot a three. Actually most likely, they turn over the ball while they are trying to figure it out. The elbow or any 12-15 shot should be wide open.

Reactions: mphawk
Turnovers (23) along with poor shooting from Ally & Tania did them in today. Instead of moving the ball quicker against the zone they tried to force into the heart of the defense & paid the price. They actually dominated the boards (46-28) & shared it well when they weren't turning it over with 20 assists on 23 made field goals. I know Ally will make those shots she missed more often than not but Tania didn't look confident at all with her shot.

Whatever "buzz defense" that Illinois plays, they have had Iowa's number recently. Iowa hasn't scored over 70 points against them in three years, including a win at home last year.

I didn't tune in until there was only about a minute left, and when I heard Kastanek was in I figured it meant trouble. Really disappointing to see the turnover bug return, along with giving up 23 points in the 1st quarter. That said, I'll guess it will be a different game when the Illini come to Iowa City.

On a minor note, I thought Brooks' announcing at the end and through the post-game was even more wooden than usual. Just seemed to be struggling to find things to say. He and Cavey have not developed much chemistry so far. She's rather matter-of-fact, which was fine with Blabinot, but Brooks desperately needs some good color help, and she's not it.

Turnovers (23) along with poor shooting from Ally & Tania did them in today. Instead of moving the ball quicker against the zone they tried to force into the heart of the defense & paid the price. They actually dominated the boards (46-28) & shared it well when they weren't turning it over with 20 assists on 23 made field goals. I know Ally will make those shots she missed more often than not but Tania didn't look confident at all with her shot.
Tania is 2-18 in the last three games and I think she looks slower on defense. May not be the case, but it looks to me like she's gained a few pounds since the season started. I'm curious what Bluder's in-season conditioning program is, because every year lots of girls look more tired / slow than they should be.

Today LB should have played Chas more with Megan. Feed the ball to Chase at the high post and let her then dump it to Megan down low.

I really don't understand why LB doesn't play Chase and Megan together.

Reactions: BGHAWK
Some defense on their guard who scored 18 would have helped also.
I believe that was actually Megan's man because she was trying her best to get out to the three point line to play defense. Megan should never leave the basket. We should have been playing zone, but I don't believe we left a man defense all game.

Today LB should have played Chas more with Megan. Feed the ball to Chase at the high post and let her then dump it to Megan down low.

Chase has that great elbow / free throw shot too....a zone buster. Yet she plays only nine minutes.

I believe that was actually Megan's man because she was trying her best to get out to the three point line to play defense. Megan should never leave the basket. We should have been playing zone, but I don't believe we left a man defense all game.
My bad, the Illini(Illinus?) with 18 was a 6-1 forward, so makes sense that MG would have been on her at least part of the time.

I don't either.

Bluder out coached again by bollant. out coached by jennie Lillis. Lillis is recruiting Iowa players with hard work ethic. Bluder is recruiting street ballers. Word is Jennings didnt leave because of homesick. More to the story then being reported. Alot of players are not happy and may be transferring at conclusion of the season. Randy Mauro is the play by play for Drake and he is damn smart on hoops!

Bluder out coached again by bollant. out coached by jennie Lillis. Lillis is recruiting Iowa players with hard work ethic. Bluder is recruiting street ballers. Word is Jennings didnt leave because of homesick. More to the story then being reported. Alot of players are not happy and may be transferring at conclusion of the season. Randy Mauro is the play by play for Drake and he is damn smart on hoops!
If they are street ballers let them be street ballers. Instead Bluder has them trying to run the one or two sets we have for a zone defense. Not very hard to coach against. Let more of them drive or god forbid drive and shoot a pullup.

If they are street ballers let them be street ballers. Instead Bluder has them trying to run the one or two sets we have for a zone defense. Not very hard to coach against. Let more of them drive or god forbid drive and shoot a pullup.
Agree 100% but I think the way the game is being officiated now with regard to the blocking/charging rule seemingly giving the offensive player greater freedom to be aggressive and just come charging into a crowded 3-second zone for a chance for the 'and one', the pull-up is becoming a dying art.

Tell me why it is that Iowa has twice as many assists as Illinois but still lost the game. I know it is not because Bollant out-coached Lisa. It is because of team work. Iowa played more like a team than Illinois did. That is something that must be coached but that does not seem to be as important for winning as it should be. If you really want to find some fault or blame, just look at Ally's shooting, especially 0/8 on three pointers. That is an anomaly for her and is not likely to happen again. You can argue the turnovers but that has been a trend that they have been winning despite of. Finally I say, don't despair just yet.

Reactions: hawkahawk
Street ballers? LOL.
Slow starts and turnovers have been the biggest drawbacks, along with streaky shooting. They out rebound Illinois by almost 20, but gave most of those possessions away with the TOs.
Ally had an off night shooting. Tania hasn't been the same since break. Megan has been the rock.

Just so everyone knows.....the troll, non posters, is NOT the informative forum member non-poster. I suggest the ignore button.

Yes Oakhawk good point. The comment about the street-ballers is so absurd as to be laughable. The comment about Whitney is just plain nonsense. Ironically, if anything, Whitney was perhaps more like a street-baller in high school than anyone Iowa has had in my memory. She was more than half her teams' scoring. Coming to Iowa was a huge adjustment for her but she was willing to give it a chance when she came. 'Word is' is just that, rumor. There may have been other factors in her decision but I'm sure she just wanted to be closer to home.

Very hard game to watch! Until this team learns to value the basketball and improve the basics of passing and dribbling they will struggle IMO.

Just so everyone knows.....the troll, non posters, is NOT the informative forum member non-poster. I suggest the ignore button.
Thanks Oakhawk. Classy gesture on your part.

I was at the game and spoke with both coaching staffs afterward. In keeping with a promise that what coaches tell me regarding x's and o's, I won't go into detail on a message board, but Illinois definitely worked a good game plan specifically designed to do some things to bait Iowa into those turnovers. Considering Coach Bluder took the idea of the Ilini's "Buzz Defense" and added a tweak to her own implementation, it really surprises me her own teams continue to have trouble playing against it.

This was the type of game where a healthy Carly Mohns would have made a big difference.

To be fair, there have been a lot of up-and-down teams this season, look no farther than the Iowa and UNI men. Drake men at one time looked like they might go 0 for the season, but just scored 102 points and won their first conference game. Also, ISU & Drake WBB have had trouble winning away from home.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT