ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 16/17 Season

I know Meyer did it. But towards the end of the video, Abby Emmert showed up, patted Coley on the back, and looked all serious. Seriously!

I was just pointing out Mak's skills. I'm sure Abby (and the other coaches) were terrified about being called on to do it. :) I wonder if Lisa made some kind of bet.

ISU #3 in the country in FG % coming in. The Hawks held them to 26%. The clones had just hit 10-15 threes against #6 Mississippi State. Iowa held them to 6-28.

Oak and Cyber.....great info as always and it's a trusted source of Iowa women's BB info for me.

I posted this below in The Lounge about last night's game and YEA....I was really impressed with their play.

I'll say it again as I do below. As Norm Van Lier would say, "ya gotta play with an attiTUDE" and boy, did the girls play with a purpose and giddy up in their game last night. Not only did they shoot lights out, that helps. Damn I loved it....

I also loved this comment by Kathleen Doyle...she plays with such a fire and she gets the Iowa/ISU rivalry now....she will feed off of it better for the next 3 years.

"Doyle had easily her best game as a Hawkeye in arguably her biggest game as a Hawkeye. She finished with a career-high 17 points, five assists and one late turnover on an attempted no-look pass to Disterhoft in garbage time.

"It was the middle of the game and I was like, ‘Wow, this is really fun,'" Doyle said. "I mean the crowd is so into it and you can just tell the atmosphere is just super intense. It’s fun to be in the Hawkeye state now.”

The Lounge

"If these girls continue to shoot the ball from the 3 line like they did last night, they are going to win a lot of games. They've really showed a lot of improvement over the last few games and that improvement I am seeing is in that true frosh class. Doyle is a player for sure, I really like her game but the whole team last night looked sharp, move the ball well, played with a lot confidence and an attitude against a good ISU team who were shooting lights out from the 3 line too but not last night.

And if Tania continues to stroke the 3 with her and Doyle contributing shooting and attacking the rim like they both were doing last night, those are your guards with Mackenzie Meyer and Bre Cera who are impressive guards too. They attack, distribute the ball very well, find the open shooters and can get it down low to Gustafson who keeps getting stronger, quicker and better....this team is going to be a ton of fun to watch through the season. Well done last night."

Reactions: hawkahawk
If everybody holds Disterhoft to 14 points, she won't be able to break the career scoring record, you know. So, any time Disterhoft scores less than 17 points, it's a small victory for the opponent:)
The Tribune could have also claimed the cyclones held Megan to only 10 points. Both Ally and Megan entered the fourth quarter with fewer then 10. Whether it was part of the game plan or just more by circumstances, they were not taking a majority of the shots. What is remarkable and extremely encouraging was that the Hawkeyes built their overwhelming lead through three quarters without either Ally or Megan being the main scoring option. Instead, the story of the game Involved three less likely scoring sources; Tania, Christina and Kathleen.

Davis finished with a game-high 23 points, making 7-of-11 field goals (5-of-6 from 3-point) and all four free throw attempts. She didn't miss from long range until eight minutes remained in the game.

Buttenham and Doyle came up big in the second quarter when the Hawkeyes went on a 28-16 run. Buttenham was 3-of-3 from the field for seven points and Doyle was 2-of-2 for six points. Both made a 3-pointer. Five Hawkeyes made a 3-point field goal in the first half.

Also, after leading the game in scoring the first half with 11, Tania exploded for 10 points in the third quarter. She and the entire team were a perfect 8 for 8 from the field. Ally and Kathleen each made a 3-pointer.

Eight players saw action in the fourth quarter (but Alexa and Chase did not). In the past, Iowa has relied on fewer players in the last quarter. Ally played the entire fourth quarter but only 20 of the first 30 minutes of the game. Megan lead the team in minutes played with 31. Lisa did say the starters could play fewer minutes this year [and the bench more] and it appeared to be the case against Iowa State.

For the game, Ally attempted only 9 shots and Megan attempted only 6. Tania and Kathleen each made 11 attempts. That tells me that Iowa has a lot of scoring threats and is not dependent on their two leading scorers to win in tough games. I believe Iowa has at least eight players who are capable of scoring double digits.

I don't think it was any accident that Iowa States' shooting % was so much lower. Iowa's defense, especially on the perimeter, is much improved over last year and perhaps even in many years. What was surprising and probably the only negative was that Iowa was out-rebounded.

After playing and losing to SDSU, UCLA and Notre Dame, Iowa seems to have elevated their game considerably. UCLA and Notre Dame especially have terrific defensive athleticism. Playing against UNI and Iowa State must have seemed like scrimmaging the JV by comparison.

I don't know how much better Iowa can be with Carly back in the lineup, but it is hard to imagine her getting much playing time with the way everyone else is playing. Maybe the only player she could earn minutes from would be Chase and that's not a lot. Still I am excited to see what she can do. I hope she is back to 100%.

Last edited:
The Tribune could have also claimed the cyclones held Megan to only 10 points. Both Ally and Megan entered the fourth quarter with fewer then 10. Whether it was part of the game plan or just more by circumstances, they were not taking a majority of the shots.

Gustafson & Disterhoft did a great job of not forcing much and just moving the ball. The entire Iowa State defense in this game was designed to stop Gustafson with a weak side defender (or two) always in place stopping most of lobs or entry passes. This left Doyle, Buttenham, and Davis open with good looks for which they delivered in a big way. Based off what we saw prior to the UNI game it was a good defensive game plane by coach Fennelly as Gustafson still put up 10 & 13 tonight - if they played her straight up with Burkhall she'd have gone for 30.

Reactions: littlev
Fennelly always designs his defensive plan around stopping the other team's best offensive threat, or in this case, threats. Worked to some extent but the other players came through. If any team shoots the 3-point percentage we have the last 2 games, they'd be hard to beat.

Last edited:
Is there something in the special water in Ames that Iowa City does not have? The Cyclone men's team couldn't shoot straight last night, just like their women's team.

Gustafson & Disterhoft did a great job of not forcing much and just moving the ball. The entire Iowa State defense in this game was designed to stop Gustafson with a weak side defender (or two) always in place stopping most of lobs or entry passes. This left Doyle, Buttenham, and Davis open with good looks for which they delivered in a big way. Based off what we saw prior to the UNI game it was a good defensive game plane by coach Fennelly as Gustafson still put up 10 & 13 tonight - if they played her straight up with Burkhall she'd have gone for 30.
Of course Iowa State would focus their defensive strategy to minimize Megan on the inside but I'm sure they also had a plan to keep Ally below her scoring margin. Their strategy did result in fewer shot attempts by both but it failed to help them win because they didn't count on Tania, Christina and Kathleen all to step up their games the way that they did. Megan and Ally are to be commended for recognizing the pressure and not forcing their shots. I'm sure that they understand that getting their teammates involved in the scoring, forces the opponent to refocus the pressure away from them. In such an important game, it is worth noting that the Hawks top two scorers (by a considerable margin) each only played about 3/4 of the game and accounted for just 24 points (about 30%) of the scoring. They had been scoring about 34-35 ppg or 40% +/- of the team total. The development of the other three starters as well as the bench bodes well for the rest of the season.

Notre Dame lost Wednesday to UConn 72-61. UConn out-scored Notre Dame 19-4 at the FT line to more than make up a 4 point deficit from the field. UConn used only 7 players the entire game and six accounted for 192 minutes. Notre Dame plays at #16 DePaul tomorrow.

Green Bay trounced SDSU 67-43 this evening. GB also beat Drake last week by the score 72-41 and earlier lost to Notre Dame by only 4 points. SDSU plays G Washington and #7 Louisville this next week.

Last edited:
The Hawks got their third win in six days tonight, 81-60 over Robert Morris. Robert Morris was a 20 win,NCAA tournament team last season, and had 4 starters back. They gave the Hawks a tussle for three quarters before Iowa pulled away.
The Hawks had four in double figures, and two with 8.
Megan led with 15 and missed a double-double by one rebound. Ally and Tania both had 14, and Kathleen had11, all in the second half. Kathleen did a great defensive job on the PG from Robert Morris. The girl from Greece had 12 at the haf. Kathleen was given the job of sticking to her everywhere on the court (along with Makenzie) and the girl only had 4 second half points. Mak and Hannah both had 8. Hannah continues to impress. 4-4 from the field with 8 rebounds in 13 minutes.
The Hawks were tired after a hard game against ISU and one day tp prepare. But they pushed through. Now, some time off and finals.

Iowa out-scored Robert Morris in every quarter and gradually pulled away from the Colonials to win 81-60. The final margin of 21 was the largest of the game. Four Hawkeye starters scored between 11 and 15 points. Hannah [Stewart] was a perfect 4/4 for 8 points and also second leading rebounder with eight. Makenzie [Meyer] also had 8 points and Amanda [Ollinger] made her first career 3-pointer. Chase lead the team with 4 assists. Megan missed a double-double by one rebound but Iowa out-rebounded RM 44-27. Iowa cut their turnovers down to only 12. Iowa continued it stifling perimeter defense allowing the Colonials only 3/14 from beyond the 3-point line.

Iowa out-scored Robert Morris in every quarter and gradually pulled away from the Colonials to win 81-60. The final margin of 21 was the largest of the game. Four Hawkeye starters scored between 11 and 15 points. Hannah [Stewart] was a perfect 4/4 for 8 points and also second leading rebounder with eight. Makenzie [Meyer] also had 8 points and Amanda [Ollinger] made her first career 3-pointer. Chase lead the team with 4 assists. Megan missed a double-double by one rebound but Iowa out-rebounded RM 44-27. Iowa cut their turnovers down to only 12. Iowa continued it stifling perimeter defense allowing the Colonials only 3/14 from beyond the 3-point line.
It was also interesting to see Lisa go away from the platoon system in the 4th quarter. She played Cace and Megan together as well as Tania and Mackenzie together for stretches. Challenge will be when Carly comes back as she may be second best rebounder and is another high motor player like bitten ham and Doyle. This team has a very high upside IMO as long as the value each possession and keep their turnovers in the 12-15 range and not in the 20+ area. That can be quite a few points in addition for Iowa not even counting the few opportunities for other team to score and collecting more fouls on defense

It has been the MO to use some different combos at the end of games. Had Kathleen and Makenzie in together at end.
Carly coming back will probably be baby steps. A few minutes at a time to begin. She is practicing , she is warming up. Game time not until after Christmas.

Reactions: Dfschmidt1940
The freshmen are all starting to settle in. Doyle in particular is playing both ends well. Probably the second best ball handler to Tania. The next step is doing it on the road. But the core of this team is freshmen and sophomores only going to get better

The platoon system has been in use throughout until the 4th quarter in the last two games. The minutes don't reflect a true platoon system as the top four get quite a few more minutes. Doyle now seems to be the defensive stopper. Bre's minutes have diminished lately. Hate to be greedy, but a fifth scorer would be great.

The platoon system has been in use throughout until the 4th quarter in the last two games. The minutes don't reflect a true platoon system as the top four get quite a few more minutes. Doyle now seems to be the defensive stopper. Bre's minutes have diminished lately. Hate to be greedy, but a fifth scorer would be great.

The platoon system has not changed. The second unit all season has come in from the 6 minute mark until the 3 minute mark in each quarter except the 4th, so they get at least 9 minutes per game. The difference for Bre Cera has been her consistent foul trouble. Christina Buttenham has subbed in for her with the first unit then. I like Bre's defensive intensity, but I wonder how long she can stay with the first team.

The platoon system has not changed. The second unit all season has come in from the 6 minute mark until the 3 minute mark in each quarter except the 4th, so they get at least 9 minutes per game. The difference for Bre Cera has been her consistent foul trouble. Christina Buttenham has subbed in for her with the first unit then. I like Bre's defensive intensity, but I wonder how long she can stay with the first team.

As long as the other 4 starters are producing I think Bre has a good shot at remaining a starter if she can become a threat to score. Once BIG play rolls around scouting reports are laser focused and if she can't be a threat teams will use her defender as a "rover" to double Megan or shade over to Ally. The last 3 years we've seen Lisa make changes due to lack of productivity in BIG play so it could open the door for Buttenham, or Coley if she can get it together. I will add this team is different with all the depth as they have played more aggressive defense while still being able to produce offensively. Will be fun to watch how Lisa uses the depth come BIG play.

Reactions: hawkahawk
Notre Dame (#2) traveled to #16 DePaul last Saturday and left with a 75-61 victory. They will travel to play at Michigan St next week (12/20).

SDST rebounded from their lopsided loss to Green Bay with a 60-55 home win against George Washington. (Iowa lost to GW last year.) SDST also beat North Dakota 83-72. They next travel to #8 Louisville on Wednesday.

UCLA (#9) hosted Michigan (receiving votes, tied #27) last week and defeated them 84-64. Next for UCLA is #6 South Carolina this coming Sunday.

James Madison beat Rutgers in East Rutherford 82-76 in double OT. Also, after losing to Iowa, they defeated Iowa's second opponent Hampton, 71-50.

Last edited:
As long as the other 4 starters are producing I think Bre has a good shot at remaining a starter if she can become a threat to score. Once BIG play rolls around scouting reports are laser focused and if she can't be a threat teams will use her defender as a "rover" to double Megan or shade over to Ally. The last 3 years we've seen Lisa make changes due to lack of productivity in BIG play so it could open the door for Buttenham, or Coley if she can get it together. I will add this team is different with all the depth as they have played more aggressive defense while still being able to produce offensively. Will be fun to watch how Lisa uses the depth come BIG play.
Is
What's the story on Sevillian? Red-shirt, injured? SIAP.

Alexis Sevillian is red-shirting. This is the first time in 17 years that Lisa has red-shirted a player that wasn't injured. She said with all the guard depth that she thought Alexis was too good to waste for a year. Just not enough minutes available.

Short term if anyone replaces her, it would be Christina Buttenham I would think. Longer term if Carly Mohns returns to form, I would start her.

Buttenham seems to be first sub when Bre in foul trouble. However I agree Meyer doing well. She and Doyle look to be impact freshmen

The platoons have been in the 4th quarter until the last two games. Sometimes it was adjusted for foul trouble but in the last two games, it was totally abandoned in the fourth .

CzBfkt2UQAAVQcV.jpg
Ally is so efficient. Ranks #3 in the NCAA.

That is a great statistic and it does not come as a surprise to me. Points per shot is a somewhat under publicized stat and is why IMO Ally is underrated. Looking at this list I would guess that Ally may also have the fewest minutes per game so if you devide points/shot by minutes/game she could possibly be number one in that obscure stat.

Also, Tania is leading all players in the B1G in FT% at .903 (28/31). Christina is at 90% (9/10).

Iowa leads the B1G in 3-point defensive percentage with 25.1%.

Macy Miller, SDSU leading scorer, is out for the year with a torn ACL. She was the girl that hit the game winner with 1.7 seconds left to defeat the Hawks. She had 22 and 10 against Iowa and was tournament MVP.

And lost to Green Bay. SDSU had the lead after 1 quarter against WGB. then she got injured in the 2nd and they went down from there.

I saw part of that game, it was a lot like Iowa-UNI. Louisville pretty much destroyed them, the Jacks were in total disarray. Cardinals would have won by 60+ had the game lasted 5 minutes longer.

Watched the game at Drake. Drake out hustled Iowa for rebounds and loose balls, which I felt ultimately led to their win. Davis' shots were not falling, and Gustafson's foul trouble was also a big factor. Happy for Jennie Lillis to finally get a win against her old coach and school. I hope this will not be the norm, though.

Ally and Megan did well. The other three starters were 3-17. Coming off finals week, they were slow off the start. Fell behind 21-9 and could never get caught up. Hannah and Makenzie played well. Not much from the rest.

Iowa had a couple of chances in the end, but Tania Davis' three pointers just would not fall. Otherwise it would have been a 1 point game with half a minute left and seeing if Drake could make free throws and Iowa could go back and make the shot.

This team should not have lost to SDSU or Drake period. That is on the coaching staff. This team has 8 four star recruits and 1 five star recruit. That's 9 ESPN Top 100 recruits on the roster. I realize 3 of them are freshman. Can you imagine if Fran had this much raw talent on his team? Wow.

Last edited:
I think coach has decided to make the investment in going 4-guard with 2 starting freshmen, knowing it may cost games this season (and hopefully not too many), in return for having more developed players in the future. It might mean that Ally doesn't get to the NCAA again this season.

Drake is hardly a weak team (they were missing one of their starters BTW), they're a good bet to make the NCAA next spring. This game was a good measuring stick for the B10 season, particularly road games. I was impressed that we kept after it and were only down 3 with under a minute left. Last years team would not have been able to do that.

That said, I'm not really sold on a 4-guard lineup, I think there are a lot of B10 teams that will be able to exploit that. We'll see.

Last edited:
I think coach has decided to make the investment in going 4-guard with 2 starting freshmen, knowing it may cost games this season (and hopefully not too many), in return for having more developed players in the future. It might mean that Ally doesn't get to the NCAA again this season.

Drake is hardly a weak team (they were missing one of their starters BTW), they're a good bet to make the NCAA next spring. This game was a good measuring stick for the B10 season, particularly road games. I was impressed that we kept after it and were only down 3 with under a minute left. Last years team would not have been able to do that.

That said, I'm not really sold on a 4-guard lineup, I think there are a lot of B10 teams that will be able to exploit that. We'll see.

I think the root of the problem is not with this year's fine freshmen class. Rather it is with too many recruits that haven't worked out in the now junior and senior classes, outside of Ally Disterhoft. Hopefully, Ally will end up as the leading scorer in program history, but there is little leadership besides her. As a result, this year's group is getting a lot of hard lessons now that will pay off for seasons to come. That is what happens when only one of your juniors and seniors is good enough to start.

I think the root of the problem is not with this year's fine freshmen class. Rather it is with too many recruits that haven't worked out in the now junior and senior classes, outside of Ally Disterhoft. Hopefully, Ally will end up as the leading scorer in program history, but there is little leadership besides her. As a result, this year's group is getting a lot of hard lessons now that will pay off for seasons to come. That is what happens when only one of your juniors and seniors is good enough to start.
I would not include Buttenham in that overall description of the upperclassmen. Without trying to sound hyper critical, it's clear that Coach Bluder has elected to go with what she believes will be a more offensive starting five. The platoon system has made for some deficits early in games, and then she usually inserts Christina for some defense and rebounding at that position. She is the type of player who is not a true creator and needs to work within the framework of the offense to get a good shot, but has proven to be more than serviceable from the perimeter. It will be interesting to see if coach makes some adjustments in the starting lineup once the Big Ten season begins.

Last year's group of seniors was basically a "lost" class as well, as far as production on the court goes. Outside of some flashes from Peschel from time to time and lots of effort from Till (when she was healthy and able to contribute), there really wasn't much there. Good news for the future when the majority of minutes and production are coming from sophs and freshman, but they'll take some knocks in the meantime.

Reactions: mphawk
It's difficult to understand what Bluder wants. She says she wants balanced scoring, but wants Megan shooting more than 10 shots a game. She wants Megan to be the focal point because otherwise "we come very, very predictable". Isn't having a single person being the focal point predictable?
http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/hawks-non-conference-chapter-ends-tuesday-vs-kent-state-20161219?bt_alias=eyJ1c2VySWQiOiAiM2RkNmI3OWYtYWY5MS00MGY1LWI5ZDQtZjAxNTcwOTViMGQxIn0=&utm_campaign=20160614&utm_source=boomtrain&utm_medium=email

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT