ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 16/17 Season

For a team that has missed the upper half of the B10 and the NCAA tournament for the last two seasons, I though coach Jensen sounded oddly complacent.

In all fairness the loss of Tania Davis probably cost the Hawks 3-4 victories last year and undoubtedly an NCAA bid.

Reactions: iarick
They missed the NCAAs by one game each of the last two years. Key injuries and loss of veterans. Started 3 Fr and a Soph last year, Jinaya and Alexis being added. I wouldn't say complacent, I'd say remaining upbeat.

Respectfu
In all fairness the loss of Tania Davis probably cost the Hawks 3-4 victories last year and undoubtedly an NCAA bid.
Respectfully disagree, since Davis' replacement Doyle lead the team in assists per game and set the freshman record for assists. Will agree it cost the Michigan game. What cost Iowa for the last two seasons were turnovers, rebounding and general inconsistent play IMHO. Am getting a bit fatigued listening to coaches postgame shows for the last several years bemoaning boxing out and rebounding, and aside from the recruitment of Gustafson, not making progress toward solving the problem. IMHO a true rebounding power forward is needed, and yet the program sits with two available scholarships and little apparent interest in using them. Just the view from where I sit.

Last edited:
Bluder and staff have rarely used all the scholarships available. Strange thinking in time of Title IX but that is their way.

The turnovers can be blamed on youth - Davis as two years ago was improved last year and Doyle and others will be improved next year as things slow down for them. There was a definite lack of poise at times after Davis was injured.

The rebounding is another issue GUstafson definitely improved and made Iowa better but she needs help inside. Not sure who will provide that help but hopefully someone steps up.

Kathleen did a nice job of playing the point, but her shooting suffered toward the end. Freshman fatigue or added responsibility?

Disappointing news on Mohns, but I suspect if/when she's back to 100% and can get on the court, we'll all enjoy & remember it.

I haven't seen her mentioned, but one I thought would fit the profile was Tangela Smith. She played under Vivian, had a great Iowa career, went on to a long WNBA career, and is now an assistant coach at Western Michigan.

Looks like no GTL this year:
We will not be having a summer league for women this year. With recent NCAA rule changes allowing more contact by college coaches with their players in the summer, and a new rule for summer leagues mandating that incoming players count in the limit of only 2 from each University team on a summer team, therefore requiring 7 or 8 summer league teams for all the Hawkeyes to play, it is very difficult to find enough players of college-level ability to make the league competitive enough for the Iowa players.
Randy Larson
(Although with a roster of 12, and Carly and Tania injured, they would only need 5 teams.)

Looks like no GTL this year:
We will not be having a summer league for women this year. With recent NCAA rule changes allowing more contact by college coaches with their players in the summer, and a new rule for summer leagues mandating that incoming players count in the limit of only 2 from each University team on a summer team, therefore requiring 7 or 8 summer league teams for all the Hawkeyes to play, it is very difficult to find enough players of college-level ability to make the league competitive enough for the Iowa players.
Randy Larson
(Although with a roster of 12, and Carly and Tania injured, they would only need 5 teams.)
That's too bad because this would have been good for Houston.

It would be good for a lot of the players. Jinaya would have court time with teammates, Bre could get her offense working, Chase could battle Megan and get tougher, Mak could get consistent on her 3pt, Kathleen could run more point, etc.
GTL is where we, as fans, can see how the players are progressing. You could see that Hannah Stewart was making a big jump last year. And that Megan was going to be a star. Got to see all the FR guards compete. I always looked forward to GTL. I wonder if it will ever return? UNI dropping out diluted the talent pool but it gave small college and HS players a chance.

It would be good for a lot of the players. Jinaya would have court time with teammates, Bre could get her offense working, Chase could battle Megan and get tougher, Mak could get consistent on her 3pt, Kathleen could run more point, etc.
GTL is where we, as fans, can see how the players are progressing. You could see that Hannah Stewart was making a big jump last year. And that Megan was going to be a star. Got to see all the FR guards compete. I always looked forward to GTL. I wonder if it will ever return? UNI dropping out diluted the talent pool but it gave small college and HS players a chance.
Oak, the problem was when Coach Warren decided to pull her players from the GTL the product not only suffered greatly, it made it significantly less valuable.

At most, there were only a handful of players (beyond Iowa's) that were truly capable of providing the level of play that would challenge and help sharpen each other's skill set.

Because practices and traditional coaching isn't allowed by NCAA rules in these types of informal environments, summer leagues (both men and women) are often looked at as glorified pickup ball. Fans could get a good look at some things--a player's athleticism, toughness, court awareness--but as far as actual game level preparedness, basketball IQ and a number of other components that are required once the Big Ten or MVC schedules start, those don't show until you play against like level talent.

Chase, Hannah and Megan will still get to work against each other over the summer. But now it will be in more of a controlled environment. The same goes with all other players.

While it is a loss for the fans, unless UNI/Coach Warren changes her mind it sounds like the GTL is finished.

Reactions: cyberhawk
Very disappointing. I happened to catch part of a KXEL radio program last Friday where coach Warren was being interviewed and was asked specifically if the team would participate in the GTL this summer. Her brief reply was that she considered it better for their kids to remain on campus and play open gym, against both female and male players. Perhaps my imagination but she sounded a bit frosty. I'm wondering if she and Randy might have crossed swords sometime in the past. Maybe he offered some advice that wasn't appreciated.

No Time To Adjust, It’s All-Out For Newcomers At USA U19 Trials

“It’s great to be out here and to be pushed. Every player here is a great player,” said Doyle, who earned Big 10 Conference All-Freshman Team honors. “You can’t take any plays off or else you’ll get burnt. It’s been cool to see what these other girls can do and see the areas where I can improve my game.”

“I’ve played against a bunch of the girls, but I’ve never really met them before, so it’s really nice to put personalities together with how they are off the court and then on the court. Everybody has been really welcoming and I’m appreciative of that,” added Doyle.

[on the US coaches] Doyle went on, saying, “They are super fun to play for. They are just intense, passionate, fiery ladies, and they bring the best out of you, so that’s what you want as a player.”
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2017/05/wu19-newcomers.aspx

Disappointing news on Mohns, but I suspect if/when she's back to 100% and can get on the court, we'll all enjoy & remember it.
This makes it seem like she could be cleared to play for the summer ...

Jensen said the plan is to continue to have Mohns rest and then re-evaluate her health when the team reconvenes in June.

... so that is encouraging! Right?

I'm hoping.

Last edited:
Oak, the problem was when Coach Warren decided to pull her players from the GTL the product not only suffered greatly, it made it significantly less valuable.

At most, there were only a handful of players (beyond Iowa's) that were truly capable of providing the level of play that would challenge and help sharpen each other's skill set.

Because practices and traditional coaching isn't allowed by NCAA rules in these types of informal environments, summer leagues (both men and women) are often looked at as glorified pickup ball. Fans could get a good look at some things--a player's athleticism, toughness, court awareness--but as far as actual game level preparedness, basketball IQ and a number of other components that are required once the Big Ten or MVC schedules start, those don't show until you play against like level talent.

Chase, Hannah and Megan will still get to work against each other over the summer. But now it will be in more of a controlled environment. The same goes with all other players.

While it is a loss for the fans, unless UNI/Coach Warren changes her mind it sounds like the GTL is finished.
I absolutely agree. This is mainly a disappointment from our (the fan) POV. No bloated stats to discuss or compare. But it could be better for the players. I have no doubt that they will still get together for semi organized practice even if they have to go to open gym to do it. Positives include more flexible timing and scheduling. Also it would not necessarily require 10 players every time. They could play with 8 or 6 players. Three on three half-court is a sanctioned sport at nationals that helps to develop guard skills. They could even play four-on-four half-court or on a short (high school) full-court if the circumstances dictated. I seem to recall something I saw online online about a high school 4-on-4 drill that used three 4-player squads that played full court. I personally like playing less than 5 on 5 since I believe it helps to develop half-court attacking instincts.
Since it wouldn't be technically sanctioned, they could do anything that isn't expressly restricted. I don't know if they could have any guys in their practice scrimmages but that would only help to raise the level of play. Surely there are no restrictions from going to open-gym if they were so inclined.

The main thing is that they do something, and I think that almost anything else they should decide to do, will be as good if not more competitive than the GTL.

Last edited:
I haven't seen her mentioned, but one I thought would fit the profile was Tangela Smith. She played under Vivian, had a great Iowa career, went on to a long WNBA career, and is now an assistant coach at Western Michigan.
My number one choice would be Melissa Dixon. I think she could both coordinate recruiting and coach the wings.

Last edited:
Interview with Jan Jensen with a look ahead. The first of three parts from the ICPC.

http://www.press-citizen.com/story/...l-2017-scholarships-lacey-goldwire/312848001/
[...] "And if there was a graduate transfer, that’d be a possibility. Like a (junior college prospect) or a late bloomer, we’re still very possibly — and I mean that very possibly — (looking)".

"I’m not counting on having to have it."

[…] Jensen said if Iowa were to add anybody, that player would be a big.

"We still have a little time to be able to do (add someone). And like I said, we’re kind of investigating. But nothing is urgent, and it would only be if it does make sense."

Last edited:
My number one choice would be Melissa Dixson. I think she could both coordinate recruiting and coach the wings.

Kachine or Tangela would both be great. The fourth coaching spot normally goes to an African-American. If that weren't the case, first person I'd approach would be Sam Logic as she could coach any position & instant name recognition on the recruiting trail. Haven't heard if she will be back with her team in Adelaide next season yet.

The thing I will really miss about GTL is getting to see the players personalities show through. And getting to exchange a few words with them about the game and how schools going. It makes watching them as Hawks more enjoyable when you have some background. Plus they are all great young ladies.That is to the coaches credit, they bring in high character people.
The assistant position should be done with the posting. They have camps on June 7-9, so I wonder if the new coach will be announced by the. They actually had a recruiting assistant (Telia Marks) that wasn't replaced when she left. Would they add two?

Last edited:
Kachine or Tangela would both be great. The fourth coaching spot normally goes to an African-American. If that weren't the case, first person I'd approach would be Sam Logic as she could coach any position & instant name recognition on the recruiting trail. Haven't heard if she will be back with her team in Adelaide next season yet.
Samantha would be high on my list as well if she was interested. Another recent past player that I think would be good is Theairra Taylor.

The thing I will really miss about GTL is getting to see the players personalities show through. And getting to exchange a few words with them about the game and how schools going. It makes watching them as Hawks more enjoyable when you have some background. Plus they are all great young ladies.That is to the coaches credit, they bring in high character people.
The assistant position should be done with the posting. They have camps on June 7-9, so I wonder if the new coach will be announced by the. They actually had a recruiting assistant (Telia Marks) that wasn't replaced when she left. Would they add two?
"It was fun," Kathleen Doyle told HawkCentral after confirming there would be no GTL this summer. "I think it was really cool for the fans to be able to come out and see us play."

It doesn't appear there's a plan for an alternate league. Doyle said the Hawkeyes will simply scrimmage each other more in Carver-Hawkeye Arena during their summer session.

"So I don't think I'll notice a difference as much, but I'm sad for the fans,"
said Doyle, who averaged 36 points a game in last year's GTL.

There will be strength-and-conditioning workouts, and the Hawkeyes will scrimmage four times per week, with no coaches in attendance.

Bluder said she has considered making one of those workouts per week open to the public, “but we can’t advertise it. How will people know when to come if we don’t advertise it?

“We’re still working on that.”

Off topic, I just noticed that Coach Bluder's daughter Hannah is on the Iowa rowing team. And, two observations on the rowing team: 1. So many Hannahs and Megans! I counted three Hannahs and five Megans (including coaches). 2. There's an assistant coach named Megan Patrick, and another one named Megan Fitzpatrick, which means Megan the Norman child of Patrick:)

There will be strength-and-conditioning workouts, and the Hawkeyes will scrimmage four times per week, with no coaches in attendance.

Bluder said she has considered making one of those workouts per week open to the public, “but we can’t advertise it. How will people know when to come if we don’t advertise it?

“We’re still working on that.”

In today's world of social media and the inclination of college age students to use it, plus the sharing of such on Facebook et al with wide ranging friend lists and word of mouth and reposting, I don't think advertising is needed.

Quinnipiac (Sweet 16), Missouri and Western Kentucky. Three tough ones for the Hawkeye challenge. A tough match-up expected fot the ACC/B1G challenge. Bringing Cara Conseugra's UNC Charlotte team in (with Randi Peterson-Henderson). At UNI and ISU. Plus the strong B1G schedule.
It will be a tough schedule for the season.

Quinnipiac (Sweet 16), Missouri and Western Kentucky. Three tough ones for the Hawkeye challenge. A tough match-up expected fot the ACC/B1G challenge. Bringing Cara Conseugra's UNC Charlotte team in (with Randi Peterson-Henderson). At UNI and ISU. Plus the strong B1G schedule.
It will be a tough schedule for the season.
If Houston can come in and contribute, with reasonable progress by an otherwise young team, I feel good about this teams ability to compete with this type of schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT