ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 16/17 Season

Earlier in the year they/she announced they had reached an agreement to an extension for her. She said her contract was used against her in recruiting & hurting the program. Today 4 transfers are announced, 3 starters from this year who would have likely returned to the bench next year with all the redshirts becoming eligible. @Raoul also reports no official word that the contract has actually been finalized.
Sorry - I didn't see this when I posted my earlier reply. Makes more sense, then.

I'm really interested to see where these players land (who was behind their change). When you are the leading scorer and rebounder for the school YOU decided on, then suddenly want to leave, something isn't right.

I'm really interested to see where these players land (who was behind their change). When you are the leading scorer and rebounder for the school YOU decided on, then suddenly want to leave, something isn't right.
Can be any of a number of things - homesick / academics / coaching change (head or assistant) / or just selling out to your teammates and coach for a better chance to win.

But I do wonder whether coaches (or their minions) recruit players on other teams, which I think you may be implying. I think there should be a rule against that, if there isn't already.

At least basketball requires the transfer to sit out a year. In other sports the athlete can flip to another school and start playing right away.

Fennelly Jr. (the coach's son) who's an assistant at ISU had suggested that the Gophers had been in contact with Fenstrom before she announced her transfer last year. With the network of acquaintances players build in this age of travel ball, texting and Twitter, it's probably not hard for interested schools to informally get in touch with players they think they might have interest, and vice versa.

I generally don't get too wound up about transfers, but I'm surprised at the number of starters who are transferring this year. On the upside the MD & OSU transfers should open up the conference race next season.

The transfers will definitely hurt MD/OSU but both are still loaded & a step above all the other BIG teams. MD desperately needs a PG which is why they are in on the Illinois de-commit Channise Lewis, as is OSU/Purdue. Have to wonder about the coaching dynamic at OSU, with how both Kelsey Mitchell & her father (asst coach) ended up there makes me wonder if coaching somehow factored into the transfers. Slocum's transfer from MD is interesting, her hometown newspaper/mother claimed she was homesick then Destiny comes out & says that had nothing to do with it, just wasn't the right fit for her. One half of the BIG Freshmen all-conference team has now transferred.

Ohio State has really gone the transfer route to get back to the top. Bringing in transfers over their FR.The FR leave, they bring in more transfers. Win at all costs.
South Carolina has done the same thing.
Schools like those two treat scholarships like trading cards. You can't predict what they will be like next year, because they might have 5 unexpected new players. The Grad Transfer rules are generally ignored. They aren't doing it to further their education.

South Carolina, has 3 assistant coaches, then they have a Director of Basketball Operations, Director of Player Development, Director of Coaching Offensive Analytics & a special assistant to the head coach. How many of these "special" coaches can you have?

Ohio State has really gone the transfer route to get back to the top. Bringing in transfers over their FR.The FR leave, they bring in more transfers. Win at all costs.
South Carolina has done the same thing.
Schools like those two treat scholarships like trading cards. You can't predict what they will be like next year, because they might have 5 unexpected new players. The Grad Transfer rules are generally ignored. They aren't doing it to further their education.

Looks like Ohio St has 4 transfers & South Carolina 3 transfers on this past season roster

South Carolina, has 3 assistant coaches, then they have a Director of Basketball Operations, Director of Player Development, Director of Coaching Offensive Analytics & a special assistant to the head coach. How many of these "special" coaches can you have?

Only the Head Coach & 3 assistants are allowed to coach during games. Pretty much every single team has a DOBO but as far as "consultants" go they appear to be allowed if the school has the budget.

Saw this tweet from Mark Emmert. "Got the financials for Iowa's four WNIT games. University made $112,531 after paying the tournament $205,248. Big crowds helped"

That's a good amount of money. I thought Iowa's WNIT games averaged around 3000 people a game, that meant the university made $318k out of 12k spectators? Something is missing there. TV rights? Concession sales? Advertisement?

Maryland's staff:
Brenda Frese
- Head Coach 15 years
Shay Robinson
- Assistant Coach 3 years
Danielle Hemerka
- Director of Scouting and Player Development 3 years
Bett Shelby
- Assistant Coach 2 years
Joe Glowacki
- Director of Recruiting Operations 1st Year
Terry Nooner
- Assistant Coach 2 years
Libby Ellis
- Director of Basketball Operations 4 years
Lanie Deppe
- Assistant Director of Basketball Performance 1st Year
Anjalé Barrett
- Director of Player Personnel and Recruiting Operations 1st Year
Sean Ehlbeck
- Director of Video 1st Year
Megan Rogers
- Athletic Trainer 5 years
Jennifer Carson Elkonoh
- Program Manager 13 years
Jim Knight
- Assistant Equipment Manager 12 years
Kayley McInerney
- Academic Counselor 2 year

Attendance for the WNIT games was around 16,300. Over 5,000 for the last one.

That's a good amount of money. I thought Iowa's WNIT games averaged around 3000 people a game, that meant the university made $318k out of 12k spectators? Something is missing there. TV rights? Concession sales? Advertisement?

The net profit was $112,531. The other figure was the gross income. So they cleared around $7 per spectator. Not bad for four more chances to see Iowa WBB, bring in some new fans with lower pricing, give the young players valuable extra experience, and not even lose money on the deal.

The net profit was $112,531. The other figure was the gross income. So they cleared around $7 per spectator. Not bad for four more chances to see Iowa WBB, bring in some new fans with lower pricing, give the young players valuable extra experience, and not even lose money on the deal.
Right, even with 16300 spectators, I wonder how they earned the gross income of $318k. The tickets were $13 each at the highest price. Also I wouldn't think the $112k that the university got back was net profit. Didn't they have to pay the staff and the utility bills at least?

That would be interesting if T.T ends up in Minnesota too. I recall Billy Fennelly (coach's son & asst.) complaining in an interview he had evidence that the Minnesota staff "recruited or tampered" with Fernstrom prior to her leaving ISU.
If I remember correctly, there was speculation that Fennelly/ or his assistant at the time Brenda Freese tampered with her sister Stacy getting her to transfer to ISU.

Reactions: Ladell-hawk
Bill Fennelly got Miss Iowa Basketball onto his squad in two consecutive years, second-handedly. Nina Smith and Anne O'Neil.

Yes, Brenda put the transfer notion into Stacy's head. She was calling her all the time, claiming sister privileges.
Stacy was unhappy because Angie Lee wouldn't let her fly down the court. Angie wanted her to "crab " dribble (Karen Clayton style) to reduce turnovers. Stacy wanted to run and gun and shoot the threes.
Among other things.

Nina Smith left as I recall, and Anne O'Neill wasn't particularly missed.

Both highly rated out of high school but dont think either excelled in college. Smith had alot of publicity in high school. Cant remember if injuries or personal issues that had her leaving school.

A couple of good podcasts with Lisa from KCRG.
http://www.kcrg.com/content/sports/...der-looks-ahead-to-next-season-419664493.html
http://www.kcrg.com/content/sports/On-Iowa-Live-Coach-Bluder-discusses-last-season-419664583.html

A few highlights...Kathleen Doyle invited to the USA Under 19 tryouts. Tania might be out until the B1G season. Amanda Ollinger and Jinaya Houston possibles for Ally's spot. Tough non-conference next year, Missouri and Western Kentucky are two games.
Also, a quick mention of maybe a late add for 2017.

A couple of good podcasts with Lisa from KCRG.
http://www.kcrg.com/content/sports/...der-looks-ahead-to-next-season-419664493.html
http://www.kcrg.com/content/sports/On-Iowa-Live-Coach-Bluder-discusses-last-season-419664583.html

A few highlights...Kathleen Doyle invited to the USA Under 19 tryouts. Tania might be out until the B1G season. Amanda Ollinger and Jinaya Houston possibles for Ally's spot. Tough non-conference next year, Missouri and Western Kentucky are two games.
Also, a quick mention of maybe a late add for 2017.

Lisa also mentioned that another option they are considering for Tania is taking a redshirt for next year. Because of the unfortunate timing of her injury, she essentially misses a whole season between last year and the upcoming year. She could sort of get that year back by sitting out all next season. Plus, it would be a challenge to work her back into the lineup just as the conference season starts. That decision obviously won't be made for a while, but an interesting thought.

Reactions: L. Wade Childress
Lisa also mentioned that another option they are considering for Tania is taking a redshirt for next year. Because of the unfortunate timing of her injury, she essentially misses a whole season between last year and the upcoming year. She could sort of get that year back by sitting out all next season. Plus, it would be a challenge to work her back into the lineup just as the conference season starts. That decision obviously won't be made for a while, but an interesting thought.

Tania redshirting is been a good idea for me since her injury occurred.

Absolutely, congrats to Lacey. Always enjoyed listening to her on post-game interviews. Hope Lisa can perhaps get a former player to come back to Iowa City, perhaps Kachine Alexander would be interested.

Reactions: iarick
Reactions: hawkahawk
Kachine would be a good choice. She is currently an assistant at Florida Atlantic. In charge of guards and defense.
To be a good fit it would probably have to be someone who coaches wing players, is a good recruiter, has some college experience, and is African-American.
I can think of some from the Vivian days, but none come to mind from Lisa's era.
Jenee Graham is an assistant at Bolingbrook HS, one of the top GBB schools. But she hasn't got the college credentials. Jenee was an excellent rebounder at Iowa. And she has had the opportunity to coach some top college players while at Bolingbrook. but none of them came to Iowa.
The last few hires for the position came from outside the Iowa circle. Laquanda Dawkins, Shannon Gage, Tiffany Goldwire, Telia Marks, and Lacey.

I hope Lisa at least contacts Kachine. Although she just moved to FAU a year ago she may not want to move so soon. Jim Jabir (former Dayton coach) just accepted their HC position & would be a good one for her learn from too.

Yes, Brenda put the transfer notion into Stacy's head. She was calling her all the time, claiming sister privileges.
Stacy was unhappy because Angie Lee wouldn't let her fly down the court. Angie wanted her to "crab " dribble (Karen Clayton style) to reduce turnovers. Stacy wanted to run and gun and shoot the threes.
Among other things.
The story in Iowa City, at the time, was quite a bit different than this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT