ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 2017-18 Season

No. 700 Ends in TKO

IOWA CITY, Iowa – What started as a slugfest ended in a one-sided knockout as the University of Iowa women's basketball team won its season opener, 83-67, against Quinnipiac on Friday night on Mediacom Court inside Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

The Hawkeyes won the fourth quarter 28-13 to run away from a Bobcat team that advanced to the NCAA Sweet 16 last season.

STATS OF THE GAME
The Hawkeyes were 15-17 from the free throw line in the second half after getting to the line just two times in the first half.
Iowa held a 50-29 rebounding advantage, led by Gustafson's 15 and a career-high nine from Doyle.
Forward Hannah Stewart led Iowa with a career-best five assists.

http://www.hawkeyesports.com/news/2017/11/10/womens-basketball-no-700-ends-in-tko.aspx?path=wbball

Reactions: JAMAM
The Western Kentucky and Missouri was an even match. WKY won 79-76. Missouri had a shot to win but the three bounced three times on the rim and rolled off. Both teams had a duo of players combine for 50+ points.
The Iowa game turned into a rugby match as the refs let a lot of contact go.
It was close all night until the Hawks pulled away in the 4th to win by 16.
Megan Gustafson had a double-double of 16 points and 15 rebounds.
Kathleen Doyle had a great game, 17 points and 9 rebounds.
Tania had 14 and Alexis Sevillian came off the bench and had 11.
Chase had 8 and 8.
Paula Ramos got her first Hawk points.

Reactions: cyberhawk
We would have danced last year with Tania. I'm not afraid of any of these teams!

IDK, we were turning the ball over quite a bit even before Davis went down, plus often getting out-rebounded despite monster games from Gustafson.

Doyle hurt her ankle, and it looked pretty serious. I would guess she will be out for some games. Has Stewart earned a starting role?

Stewart might be a better option at the 4 spot, given Coley's inconsistentcy. Not many minutes for Ollinger today either.

Sorry to hear that about Doyle. I could only follow via the gametracker, but figured something bad happened when she wasn't in down the stretch.

back from Carver...
Instant classic. WKY is a very good team. I wouldn't be surprised if they win around 25 this season. Three good players, including a tall forward who was bombing threes from 4 feet beyond the arc *she hit 6 of them) As a team they hit 14 threes. They had the Hawks down 10 with 7 minutes to go.
Megan Gustafson came on like a monster down the stretch. She finished with 35 points and 17 rebounds. Hit two big FT to send it to OT (she was 7-7 from the line, 14-22 from the field)
Kathleen was having another great game until she sprained her ankle 15 points and 7 rebounds. Mak Meyer hit 4 big threes to fuel the comeback, and Alexis Sevillian had 3 threes. including a big one to start the OT. Kathleen made the all tournament team (32 points and 16 rebounds in the two games).Megan was MVP (51 points and 32 rebounds in the two).
Hopefully Kathleen won't be out too long.
Carly Mohns did some nice defensive work and was 2-2 from the field. She and Hannah played a lot because Chase was not doing anything.
After being 17-19 at the FT line in game 1, they were 23-25 tonight.

A couple of milestones for Megan, 35 points is a new career game high and she passed 1.000 points for her career.

I couldn't believe the WKY players and their shooting. Iowa hung in there and finally WK fouled out a couple of their great scorers especially #23. I would argue with oakhawk and that one player from 4 feet beyond the arc. I think it was 6 feet if it was an inch. Kingsbury range on at least 2 of her shots.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the team* that finished the overtime be the starters until Doyle gets back. Stewart did a lot of good hustle things that won’t show up on the stat sheet.
*Gustafson, Davis, Meyers, Stewart, Sevillian

Sevillian is impressive with her threes. Stewart's entry passes to Gustafson late in the game propelled the comeback, though she did also have a couple of unforced turnovers in that stretch. I thought Meyer's three attempt at the end of the regulation was not a good decision. There was time to work the ball inside to Gustafson, who's unstoppable down low. But, Meyer hit a big three to start the late comeback.

Great start of the season for the Hawks!

I think Megan will be the B1G Player of the week. 21-31 FG (67+%) and 9-10 FT (90%) for 51 points and 32 rebounds. At this rate she could set season records for scoring and rebounds.

Alexis really showed she belongs and is capable of filling in while Kathleen is out. Her 3-pointer to start the OT after getting the steal in the last minute of regulation shows she can handle the pressure.

Iowa out rebounded their two opponents a combined 100 to 62 and finally, perhaps the most impressive team statistic, shot 40-44 (91%) from the FT line.

Reactions: hawkahawk
I should mention assists. Tania had 9, Kathleen had 7 and Mak had 7. The team had 28. That is very encouraging.
The rebounding has been helped by three willing rebounders (other than Megan), Hannah, Carly, and Amanda. All three are getting into the battles under the boards.
Alexis Sevillian is solid. 11ppg off the bench against good competition. She is tough, handles the ball well, and isn't afraid of big moments. With Kathleen hurt, Alexis will fill in nicely.

Reactions: JAMAM and cyberhawk
28 assists on 35 made FG's is absolutely mention- worthy. It is extremely impressive as well as encouraging.

Does anyone know how bad Kathleen's injury is?

High ankle sprain per Lisa in the Gazette, so no telling how long she'll be out. Wyatt Lohaus did that last year in late November and couldn't play until mid February. By that time UNI's season was already down the tubes, so the decision was made to redshirt him. Sure hope Doyle heals quickly.

High ankle sprain per Lisa in the Gazette, so no telling how long she'll be out. Wyatt Lohaus did that last year in late November and couldn't play until mid February. By that time UNI's season was already down the tubes, so the decision was made to redshirt him. Sure hope Doyle heals quickly.

This article says recovery time is 6 weeks to six months depending on severity. Lots of details in the link.

http://physioworks.com.au/injuries-conditions-1/high-ankle-sprain

Thanks, great article. So we'll hope to see her in January if the injury was mild.

Wasn't Boone Myers eventually diagnosed with a high ankle sprain? He tried to play on it, and might have cost himself the rest of the season.

B1G Women's Hoops @B1Gwbball
Megan Gustafson of @IowaWBB is the #B1GWBBall Player of the Week after averaging 25.5 ppg, 16.0 rpg, 1.5 bpg with a .677 FG% and 2 double-doubles last week, earning MVP honors at the Hawkeye Challenge and leading Iowa to the championship

Iowa wins 105-80! They were 15-15 from the FT line and 60% from the field. Alexis has a career high 15 points and Mackenzie led the team with 8 assists. Tania had a double double in points and rebounds and Megan had her third double double in as many games! Chase and Hannah both had phenomenal games. Six players scored in double figures and Iowa out rebounded NIU 48-33! Zion made it into the box score for her first career points with 2-2 FT's

Also, Carly had a very efficient and productive stat line with 6 points (3-4), career tying 3 assists, 5 rebounds, and a block in a career best 20 minutes!

In addition, Iowa totaled 29 assists in 42 made baskets!

Stewart had 13 points, too. She's been playing well so far. Also, I noticed Iowa starters had 2 fouls in total. Iowa's three guards didn't commit any fouls, neither did Coley. Maybe that's how Northern Illinois plays the game, but this was really unusual.

Paula Valino Ramos scored again. she has been going to the hoop. Carly plays great defense too, she is the quickest and most athletic of the forwards and posts.

Northern Illinois took 38 3pt shots. That is why the fouls were low. A real run and gun team. Iowa beat them at their own game. 29 assists and only 13 turnovers.

From Lisa's post-game presser, Kathleen Doyle's ankle injury not as bad as they had feared. Not a high ankle sprain, no exact timetable but said it could be a week, 10 days, or 2 weeks before she returns.
Great news. Every time Tania drove and had a big
collision .
I was thinking nooo. We can't have 2 point gourds down.
If I were Lisa I would tell Tania to avoid big collisions in the non conference with teams we can beat. She is too valuable.

Great news on Doyle.

Team is playing well, especially for so early. That needs to be maintained when playing away from CHA, but encouraging so far.

Meanwhile, ISU loses to a scrappy but rebuilding UNI in CF for the first time in 15 years. They may be beatable in Ames this year. Fennelly is usually pretty good about keeping his roster holes plugged following graduations, but looked like Carleton didn't have much help the other night.

Reactions: JAMAM
Great news on Doyle.

Team is playing well, especially for so early. That needs to be maintained when playing away from CHA, but encouraging so far.

Meanwhile, ISU loses to a scrappy but rebuilding UNI in CF for the first time in 15 years. They may be beatable in Ames this year. Fennelly is usually pretty good about keeping his roster holes plugged following graduations, but looked like Carleton didn't have much help the other night.

This is the year indeed to finally win in Ames, something Iowa has not done since 1989.

And on another note, it will be great to see Tangela Smith back in CHA. After retiring from a 15 year career in the WNBA, she wanted to get into coaching and is now in her fourth year as an assistant at Western Michigan.

http://www.wmubroncos.com/coaches.aspx?rc=958&path=wbball

Reactions: hawkahawk
I was very encouraged after seeing Kathleen last night. No crutches, a kind of boot/brace thing, walking with just a slight limp.
She even jumped up and down at one point. It will be great to see her out on the court.
Speaking of injuries, Tania and Carly are showing no fear in their play. I think those two have been down on the floor, diving for balls and being hit, more than anyone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT