ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 2017-18 Season

Everything was positive last night. I do cringe when Tania drives into a crowd though. She is fearless but a little fear might not be a bad thing, especially for those of us with old weak hearts.

Reactions: JAMAM
Talking about diving to the floor, Gustafson did a fair amount of those in the Northern Illinois game to get to loose balls, and looked very natural and effortless doing those. Some feat for a 6-3 center:)

Friend Tom Ward (Hawkeye tightend 1984-88) has turned his photography hobby into a nice sideline. He has become a great sports photographer along with other areas. He just took his first women’s basketball photos. Take a look:

http://www.twardphoto.com/Sports/Basketball/2017-Iowa-Womens-Basketball-N-Illinois/
Is Tom a freelance photographer or does he work for any organization? The photos looked to be taken at the baseline position. I assume he has to obtain a pass from the university to have access to that area?

Is Tom a freelance photographer or does he work for any organization? The photos looked to be taken at the baseline position. I assume he has to obtain a pass from the university to have access to that area?

Yes, Tom has a WBB sideline pass for the first time this season. He has shot football from the field for several years.

Talking about diving to the floor, Gustafson did a fair amount of those in the Northern Illinois game to get to loose balls, and looked very natural and effortless doing those. Some feat for a 6-3 center:)
Megan actually hits the floor more than any other Iowa player; that's just part of her game.

Morgan went after loose balls, but with her bad knees I always cringed.

Kachine Alexander is the all-time leader in spending time on the floor.
But Sam Logic is the undisputed leader of free advertisement for UI's orthodontics department. There actually were ads featuring Logic in the elevator in the dental building:)

I think Sam also had a TV commercial and a Cambus ad (after graduation).

Hawks win 79-56 over Western Michigan. A break-out game for Mak Meyer. After passing up some early shots, she followed the encouragement of teammates, and scored 21 points (5-8 from three) to lead the Hawks. Lexi Sevillian scored 19 in her second start, along with 6 asists. She has scored 11,11,15,19 in her first 4 games. Megan had another double-double with 15-13. Only took 9 shots.
Tania had 10 points. Amanda Ollinger had 9 rebounds. Amanda looks comfortable out on the court. Hannah Stewart had 8 points and was a menace on defense with 4 steals and a bunch of deflections.
Kathleen didn't play but had no brace or boot. Walking without a brace. I would guess she will be back during the Florida trip.
A season low 8 turnovers.

Lexi is looking more and more like the ‘real deal’. The most pleasant surprise at this early point of the season. I think Makenzie had a career game. Amanda is really rebounding well (More rebounds for the season than points I think). Of course Megan and Tania were typically outstanding. I hope Kathleen is able to return for the tournament but I don’t think the team absolutely needs her back to win. Assists, rebounds and FT shooting continue to be big positives for the team.

I like Amanda Ollinger's game today. She only banked in the 1 three, but played great defense.

Sevillian played long minutes. Is the coaching staff trying to get her as many minutes as possible to gain experience while Doyle is unavailable? Also, her dressing style is one up on Coley even. Coley has rolled up leg openings, Sevillian has that as well as rolled down waist band:)

Sevillian played long minutes. Is the coaching staff trying to get her as many minutes as possible to gain experience while Doyle is unavailable? Also, her dressing style is one up on Coley even. Coley has rolled up leg openings, Sevillian has that as well as rolled down waist band:)

Getting Alexis experience is a great thing for the rest of the season. However without Kathleen Doyle she had to play 35 minutes as the third guard since there is no other scholarship guard on the roster, Zion Sanders, the walk-on played 6 minutes.

I don't think they really had any choice with Doyle out. If Doyle can return healthy, it's some very nice depth Iowa has on the perimeter.

Reactions: cyberhawk
When Kathleen gets back it will give the Hawks a solid rotation of guards. Lexi got to play point at the end of the game, so that was good experience. Tania, Kathleen, Mak, and Lexi have all gotten minutes at PG.

Hawks win 79-56 over Western Michigan. A break-out game for Mak Meyer. After passing up some early shots, she followed the encouragement of teammates, and scored 21 points (5-8 from three) to lead the Hawks. Lexi Sevillian scored 19 in her second start, along with 6 asists. She has scored 11,11,15,19 in her first 4 games. Megan had another double-double with 15-13. Only took 9 shots.
Tania had 10 points. Amanda Ollinger had 9 rebounds. Amanda looks comfortable out on the court. Hannah Stewart had 8 points and was a menace on defense with 4 steals and a bunch of deflections.
Kathleen didn't play but had no brace or boot. Walking without a brace. I would guess she will be back during the Florida trip.
A season low 8 turnovers.
Was Kathleen dressed out or in street clothes?

Is there anywhere to watch the women play in the Puerto Rico Tournament? Yeah, I know. Florida. Last year, I suggested that Carver Hawkeye Arena hold a viewing party for away games in the Feller Club Room. That went nowhere. I would like to watch all away games with like minded people. And not pay extra. And world peace.

I saw, as they got off the plane, Kathleen had her boot/brace contraption with her. But she was just carrying, not wearing.
The games are being live streamed through FLOHOOPS, which is a pay site. Usually someone finds a free link of some kind. Hope so.

Last edited:
Lexi is looking more and more like the ‘real deal’. The most pleasant surprise at this early point of the season. I think Makenzie had a career game. Amanda is really rebounding well (More rebounds for the season than points I think). Of course Megan and Tania were typically outstanding. I hope Kathleen is able to return for the tournament but I don’t think the team absolutely needs her back to win. Assists, rebounds and FT shooting continue to be big positives for the team.

Really impressed with Lexi and this team. With Kathy out, Lexi is a huge deal playing, she is really good and will make this team a lot better along with Mak Meyer hitting the 3 shot as she did in this game. I am just impressed with their aggressive play and attitude on the floor around a star like Megan in the post. They get after it on both ends. You add the inside and aggressive play of Chase, Hannah, Carly and Amanda with our perimeter play, this team is fun to watch and this is with Kathy on the sideline.

Take the time to watch this team......they are good and getting better.

Is there anywhere to watch the women play in the Puerto Rico Tournament? Yeah, I know. Florida. Last year, I suggested that Carver Hawkeye Arena hold a viewing party for away games in the Feller Club Room. That went nowhere. I would like to watch all away games with like minded people. And not pay extra. And world peace.
That world peace part may be a a lot to ask for but it certainly can’t hurt to ask.

I thought we looked really good Sunday for this early in the season. WMU has some nice athletes, and I wouldn't be surprised if they have a strong season. One caveat, we had a stretch about a year ago when we beat ISU convincingly and demolished UNI, and things seemed pretty rosy. Then we started the B10 losing at Illinois and never really got going again until the first couple of WNIT games.

I thought we looked really good Sunday for this early in the season. WMU has some nice athletes, and I wouldn't be surprised if they have a strong season. One caveat, we had a stretch about a year ago when we beat ISU convincingly and demolished UNI, and things seemed pretty rosy. Then we started the B10 losing at Illinois and never really got going again until the first couple of WNIT games.
Iowa also lost to Drake (in DM) just prior to the B1G season. Also, as I recall, Iowa won the game with the Cyclones despite Ally having perhaps her worst game of the season and even in her career. (That gives me some faith that they can do it again this year in Ames without her.)

The men's team's performance in the Cayman Islands got me worried... I hope the women's team is a lot steadier than that.

You never know until they get into battle on the road. But, even though they are a young team, I think they have a mental toughness that will see them through. They have been down this season, but didn't panic and came back.

Reactions: iarick and JAMAM
Should I assume that unless I pay, I can neither watch nor listen to Iowa vs. Morgan State today (Wednesday) because of the men’s game?

All I see at the moment is FLO and Haawkeyesports All Access.
Morgan State is using the Iowa feed.

Maybe this...
https://www.sofascore.com/iowa-hawkeyes-morgan-state-bears/lvicsCwic (might be pay0
or
Thanks. I will go to the wiznet sites, but I won’t give a credit card to a “free” site.

I called the athletic department to suggest that they host a room in Carver Hawkeye to watch away games. They said that the contract with TV won’t allow. I suggested that the next contract could allow I will Fanzz to watch I will games in the home of the Hawkeyes. They said yeah this contract runs six years.

I replied that I am patient. I have attended Iowa women’s basketball games, for many coaches, not just years (Birdsong, Mullen, Stringer, Lee, Bluder... ALL the coaches)! I know we had the Iowa Gold Card in the early 1980’s for admission to all women’s sports events. I am very patient.

Reactions: 12Pitcher!
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT